Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2010 7:41:35 AM PDT
Scott Miles says:
I really want to order this book, but I'd like to place one order with Amazon that would include the parts and tools needed to get started. Does anyone know of a kit that contains the basics that would help? Or can you point to a couple key items such as a multimeter, soldering iron, parts etc.?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 1:51:02 PM PDT
Tasha says:
Go to www.makershed.com to purchase the kits for the book. They come in 2 kits, kit1 experiments 1-11 is $100 and kit2 experiments 12-24 is $130

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 6:48:39 PM PDT
McCall says:
Thank you, for the 'kit' info, Tasha... But especially to you,Scott Miles, for thinking to ask such a question in the first place! I wad sitting here debating if I should just 'go ahead' and get this book or if it'd be a waste of money for me... Cuz until I followed your Q&A link, I said to myself, "Nah, I should save the money and frustration. I know how it'll end: I'll require Extra Strength Tylenol and the book will gather dust, eternally earmarked on, say, Project 4... cuz you probably have to go to, like, 4 different stores to track down all the items for each project, and then STILL have to find and order some other hard-to-find 'electro-techy' prices-parts... It'll never end up coming together and the book will be relegated to some unused top shelf in our 'library of 1/2 read books' amongst tomes such as, 'Fencing, for beginners', 'The Craft and Beauty of Hooping (advanced chapters include FireHoop activities, for adults only!)' and 'Abra-Cadabra: You Are a Magician!' (You wouldn't believe how much a cape, a wand, and good top hat cost!?!)
This book, however, I think I may get at least 1/2 way thru the projects. It's an investment, financially, but once made, I think i'll be more invested personally, as well. So thanks to you two (and the kit, itself) i'm gonna g place a couple of orders now...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jul 18, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Make: Electronics (Learning by Discovery)
Make: Electronics (Learning by Discovery) by Charles Platt (Paperback - December 17, 2009)
4.7 out of 5 stars (365)