5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible ride!
I am a fan of both the military fiction and zombie tale genres and DiLouie's Tooth and Nail delivers both in spades.

Here's what is so cool about this novel:

1. Very realistic -- this may be about zombies, but it's not some supernatural gore-dripper -- it's about soldiers and a very scary what-if...

2. Non-stop action -- this book will...
Published on May 23, 2010 by A. McCurdy

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Writing Mars Great Concept
One of the earlier reviews posed the question, "How is it that Craig Dilouie is not a household name?" In a word, he still needs alot of polish. What Dilouie does well he does extremely well. His plotting is tense and masterful, his originality is stark and bold, and his ear for dialogue (at least military dialogue) shows skill. What Dilouie doesn't do well though...
Published on September 27, 2011 by Danny Norbury

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible ride!, May 23, 2010

Here's what is so cool about this novel:

2. Non-stop action -- this book will never make Oprah's Book of the Month club, but I would like to name a roller coaster after it -- from the get-go, the action and tension are unrelenting and the doggone book feels glued to your hands. (NOTE: Thanks, Mr. DiLouie -- on my first reading, I finally finished your book at 4 am with sweaty palms and had trouble getting to work on time the next day -- on the second reading, I still couldn't take my time and finished it again in one marathon Saturday reading session.)

3. Better & better -- I've read some of DiLouie's past work and this is by far his best work -- the writing is tight, descriptive without being florid & puffy, and believable -- again, not a book that will draw people together on a Tuesday evening for white wine and canapes, but a kick-ass story that is well-written and doesn't stop til you get back in the station and the lap-bars retract as you put the book down for the final time.

Rock on, DiLouie -- hope you've got more in the pipeline!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic/near perfect end of world story, June 11, 2010
This review is from: Tooth And Nail (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those rare books that make you tune out the world. I seriously plopped on my couch and did not get up for ten hours except to use the bathroom. This book is a mashup of Jarhead and 28 Days Later. Told from the military point of view, I found it to be very unique, genuine and expertly written. I don't want to give anything else away. If you like this genre, then treat yourself to this amazing story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy cow!, April 14, 2010
Brian R. Scarborough (Norristown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tooth and Nail (Paperback)
This fictional apocalyptic disease/zombie story picked me up and threw me around. At first, I thought, "Well, it's just another zombie story, it's been done before." But I soon found myself caught up in a unique story of a military unit's battle with armageddon. DiLouie has crafted a well wrought, gripping, fast-paced story. The intensity level of the book rarely flags - so much so that the only reason I wanted to put it down was because it became too intense! Highly recommended for fans of plague novels, zombie novels, and true-to-life military operations novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like you're embedded in the platoon - a realistic and scary ride, April 9, 2011
This review is from: Tooth and Nail (Paperback)
Is it possible that the streets of New York can be more horrifying for a soldier than the horrors of battle in Iraq and Afghanistan? To the soldiers of Charlie Company, that's exactly the sentiment that begins to manifest every soldier's thoughts as they try to save New York from a rabies-related virus called Lyssa which has become pandemic in a very short amount of time. The virus turns people into violent zombies roaming the street with one intent - as the virus takes over the their body, its goal is to replicate and spread the infection. This quickly turns into an exponential problem, and the government has recalled our troops from every location across the globe to help America's population survive.

With Tooth and Nail, DiLouie manages to combine military action and horror fiction into a realistic and believable storyline. He consulted with a veteran of the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division throughout the writing of the book and the military action in the book reflects that knowledge, making you feel as if you are an embedded civilian amongst the platoon. Soldiers vary in character, drive, and emotion, and DiLouie has captured a broad variety of types of soldier actions that one would expect - some soldiers will desert, some will breach the rules of engagement, some will sacrifice themselves, and many question themselves as they struggle with the horror of fighting against their own country's people, infected or not.

The book uses a lot of military acronyms, and there is a handy acronym definition page at the beginning of the book in case you aren't familiar with terms like RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) or SAW (squad automatic weapon). I've read some reviews of the book that felt that this was a distraction, but I disagree - it adds to the realism because that's how soldiers speak - in battle you don't have time to say "Bring your standard automatic weapon, there's an infected combatant across the street holding a rocket-propelled grenade." You'll say "Mad Dog RPG 12 o'clock - hit it." As an embedded, you better learn the lingo quick since you'll lose your cheat-sheet eventually.

The men of Second Platoon are given what seems like a simple assignment: guard and protect a hospital where many of the infected are being treated, and where research is under way to find a means to stop the spread of the virus. Of course, we all know what happens at hospitals during a zombie apocalypse, and this one is no different as things rapidly spiral out of control. DiLouie does a fantastic job writing about the interaction with civilians, both friendly and hostile, and the reader will struggle with the attitudes and decisions of the soldiers as I did - how would I react? Is that what I would do? Again, you'll feel as if you're an embedded part of the platoon.

As the story progresses, the platoon becomes fragmented, smaller, and less equipped to handle the situation they've been placed in. Communication with the higher-ups is spotty, and it comes down to a handful of soldiers trying to escort a doctor out of the front lines, hoping against odds to make it to an evacuation site so the doctor can continue working on a cure. This isn't just another book about the zombie apocalypse - the action is non-stop, realistic, and scary as hell. This book should be on the bookshelf of any zombie or military action fan, because it's one you'll want to save and read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and brutally realistic, with a tight focus, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Tooth and Nail (Paperback)
This novel is a brutally realistic depiction of how things might go down for a group of soldiers who try to save NYC from itself when faced with an aggressive pandemic that is turning people into something like zombies. The focus of the story is tight -- dealing only with the point of view of the stranded soldiers and a few other key players in Manhattan. And while this creates a kind of desperate claustrophobia for the reader at times, it only served to heighten my sense of empathy for characters who are trapped in a no-win situation.

The military jargon is thick at times, but the author does a great job of either explaining it for us non-military folks or writing in such a way that you don't really need to understand every word to follow the action. The end product is something that felt more real to me than most other "zombie" tales, and I appreciated the care with language that was taken to make it so.

For instance, there are no pretty girls tripping over and over again while being chased by "undead" monsters. There is no romance forged from the fires of death and destruction. There are no obligatory child/teen characters hanging around to create humor and/or false empathy. There is no dashing, yet super-intelligent professor with a magical cure who saves the day at the end. There are only soldiers and some scientists, all painted with realism and pathos, braving horrible and surreal circumstances in a very familiar setting.

Based on its premise alone, one should realize that this novel is not for the squeamish. But in case you don't, let me repeat: this novel is not for the squeamish. It is highly graphic throughout, on a par with any R-rated movie you'd watch in this genre. At times, you will wish you were wearing a hazard suit while reading it, and you may feel the urge to go take a shower from time to time. But that's just because the author is doing it right. After all, there shouldn't be anything pink and fluffy about the apocalypse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Undead in the Head book review, July 24, 2010
This review is from: Tooth and Nail (Paperback)
A few months back, I received an email from Mr. DiLouie asking if I could read and review his book. At the time I was unaware of all the new projects I would be taken on. I have finally gotten around to reading his book. Big thanks to Craig DiLouie for giving me a copy to review, and also for sending me more copies to give away. Giveaway details will be posted in the near future.

There's something happening in America. A virus known as, Lyssa, is spreading quickly in the Manhattan area. Hospitals have been set up to take Lyssa infected patients only. But with the rapid rate of infection, the hospitals quickly close their doors to any new patients infected with Lyssa.

The US military has been called back from Iraq to assist the situation. When the military arrives they quickly make comparisons between Iraq and New York. The state is no longer the way it once was. The streets are filled with Lyssa infected individuals and they have become hostile. These aggressive Lyssa patients are classified as, Mad Dogs. Now that the streets are becoming unsafe for the soldiers, they are giving orders to fire upon any Mad Dogs. Lieutenant Bowman, doesn't like the idea of ordering his men to fire upon unarmed civilians, but he is reminded that orders are orders and he must follow them.

LT. Bowman follows his orders, and when his platoon is met face to face with Mad Dogs, he doesn't hesitate to give the command. With the increasing amount of infected wondering the streets, it becomes difficult to keep his men safe. Bowman is given orders to retreat and meet up with the surrounding platoons. With no air evacuations or tank assistance, Bowman's men must walk through the city, which is now almost entirely overrun by the infected.

Let me start off by apologizing to Mr. DiLouie for taking so long in writing a review for his book. I know it took longer than anyone could have expected, but now I have finished Tooth and Nail and it quickly became a favorite. I loved the plot, this is the first book I have read that deals only with the military side of a zombie apocalypse. I really enjoyed how real the book felt. All of the emotions were there, I felt the terror in the soldiers when they were told to fire on the infected. Yeah, they were zombies, but at that time they just thought they were sick people who needed help. I really liked that. The character of LT. Bowman was fantastic. He was calm and really took charge of his men. I honestly felt the connection he had between his men, he cared about them and they respected him.

Even though all of the emotions were there, the book did lack in other places. The plot and the emotions were perfect, the dialogue was also well written. However, some of the writing was a bit rough. The flow would be perfect, then I'd come across a sentence where I feel would be better if the wording was different. That's basically my only complaint about the book. Everything else was well organized, and had me wanting to read to the end without stopping. Wait, there is one more thing I'd like to add. When i first started this book it was easy to figure out that the author has military knowledge. He constantly references military terms that are hard to understand if you're not in the military. It was a bit hard for me to follow along with some of the military terms, he does go overboard with them and it gets little distracting.

All of the emotions, and bonds were there between Bowman and his men. That is probably the best part of the book. The action scenes were also amazingly written. When the military first fired on a group of infected my heart raced. I really fell into the moment. This book does come very close to being perfect, the only thing I didn't like was that the flow gets interrupted at times. I will have to give Tooth and Nail, 4 Undead Heads out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, March 29, 2011
Evan (Dallas, Tejas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tooth and Nail (Paperback)
This isn't an isolated quiet and lonely zombie novel like so many others. Now don't get me wrong, I love those type of books but a change of pace is very nice. Lots of noise, lots of ammo and very fast paced. Unique to the genre in all the right ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Zombie/War book, April 8, 2011
This review is from: Tooth and Nail (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of war books and an even bigger fan of zombie books so when I read some reviews about this book I knew I was going to be in for a treat. Especially after thoroughly enjoying Craig's other book, The Infection. Tooth and Nail actually exceeded my already high expectations. I really enjoyed this book and I've come to the conclusion that Craig's endings of his books are some of the best I've ever read. They are so gripping and emotionally powerful that you don't want the story to end. This book would also make an excellent movie.

Keep up the great work Craig, I hope to read several more books by you in the coming years.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Stood as a Group, October 9, 2010
This review is from: Tooth and Nail (Paperback)
Last night I finished "Tooth and Nail" and, simply put, it blew me away. I have read quite a few zombie books and many, many military books -- this story excelled at both -- and in the zombie genre is the best I have read. With clear, concise, unbogged-down (is that a word?) prose Dilouie created some very memorable characters that evoked in me genuine empathy. What interested me most was there was no single character exuding that cock-sure "I am the hero here" attitude that defines so many action, thriller, mystery, war, etc, books. In those stories, you just know that character is going to survive until and beyond the end -- and that the plot will return to its stasis.

In Dlouie's story, though, all were heros in their own way -- not always sure of themselves...making the hard decisions, both right and wrong -- all of which made them feel real...human. I am glad that by the end of the story, of all those who die fighting, who survive the escape, and who are left wandering the city, no one stands out as the singular, solitary hero. They stood as a group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, I want more., September 20, 2010
This review is from: Tooth and Nail (Paperback)
This was by far one of the most accurate apocolyptic/military fiction books that I have ever read. I never go into the reading these types of books with really high hopes. When I do, I end up walking away from most because "they just don't get it right." Either there was no research conducted in the basics (i.e rank structure, equipment, dialogue, culture, etc.) or the military members are painted as complete saints, or depicted as pure evil.
In Dilouie's book the soldiers are "Real people", they are not blood thirsty killing machines, they don't have unreal personal expectations to save the world, they are effected by normal human factors (fear, confusion, disorientation, anger, love, fatigue, etc.) and they do not have a super human advantage over the antagonist.
As a Marine, I got a big kick out of the dialogue between the soldiers. It was absolutely spot on, obviously minus the jargon that is unique to the Marine Corps. The characters were so real and diverse, it is obvious that Dilouie spent some time in the military.
After reading this book I had to read it a second time. I am eagerly waiting for the next book to come out from Dilouie. I would love to see somebody make this into a movie. It would be a winner.

Tooth and Nail
Tooth and Nail by Craig DiLouie (Paperback - April 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $2.46