Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: HD DVD|Change

on February 21, 2013
This review is about the new 3D version of TOP GUN and not the story itself. TOP GUN has been around in so many different formats that anyone that likes this type of movie should already be familar with the story.

The TOP GUN 3D case includes two discs, a Blu-ray 2D and Blu-ray 3D disc. There is also an UlTRAVIOLET Code to Download a Digital Copy.

Both Blu-ray discs have three audio choices: DTS Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital sound.

The video of the 2D TOP GUN Blu-ray is as good or better than previous releases of this title. The audio from both discs is also excellent.

The big disappointment is the 3D BD version, which is probably the main reason someone would buy this movie re-release. The video noise is so great that it is one of the worse grainy blu-rays I've seen. Even with turning the sharpness all the way down on my OPPO BD Player the grain was still unsatisfactory. I also checked the disc on a Panasonic 3D BD Player and the grainy picture was still present.

Yes, the 3D effect of the jets in the air does add depth enhancement but the grain problem distracted so much I would just rather watch the 2D version or turn-on the simulated 3D feature of my 3D HDTV.

TOP GUN is one of my all time favorite movies and was the disc of choice to demo back in the days of Laser Discs. It is regrettable the studio did not do a better job in making the 3D pristine clear like so many other remastered old movies.
on February 18, 2005
Top Gun never claims to have epic scope, emotional gravitas, or a deep plot. I imagine that those who criticize this movie for its supposed shortcomings also look upon the Three Stooges with disgust for not exploring the depth of Moe's antagonistic relationship with Curly. The fact is that only about 10% of films released in general circulation attempt to have the depth of a Citizen Kane or Godfather. Among the other 90%, Top Gun is the best of the best.

Top Gun's obvious strength is the aerial visuals. Not since perhaps Howard Hughes' Jet Pilot has there been such an ambitious attempt to capture the look and feel of high performance flight. The F-14's photogenic qualities combine with Tony Scott's signature backlighting to create a terrific sense of energy and screen presence for the Grumman bird. The tactical realism may suffer, but the tight spacing and resulting packed frames of the ACM sequqnces are uniquely energetic and fast-paced. It is a shame that this may be the last time that anyone goes to the expense and hassle of using real film to capture such manuevers. The footage still compares favorably to state of the art CGI 20 years after its release.

The non-flying scenes are remarkable only for the collection of young talent that would eventually drive box office returns for a good part of the '90s. But the greatest compliment I could give the plot and acting is that they don't detract from the pacing and cohesiveness of a visually-driven movie.

*RE: Review Title- OK3 is the best grade possible for US Navy pilots performing carrier landings.
1616 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
I wish I had waited to see reviews instead of pre-ordering the 3D Blu Ray version. As others have stated a good portion of the movie is incredibly grainy as if there was a defect when manufacturing the disc. I'm not sure why they even released it. The quality is that bad. The 3D effect is pretty good for a conversion but still, it is almost unwatchable especially the first 10 minutes which gets you thinking I must have a defective copy...?
on August 11, 2013
The video quality of the 3D version is so poor I stopped watching it after the first 10 minutes and changed to the regular blu-ray version I had bought a few years ago. As others have mentioned, the 3D version has a really grainy look to it and the red and orange highlights are so over-saturated that they look ridiculous. If they couldn't do a decent job of the conversion, they shouldn't have bothered. Amazon's no return policy on opened movies is pretty much the same as any store, but I do feel I wasted my money! Shame on you, Paramount, for such a schlocky release.
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2013
I recommend no one should purchase this 3d version it really sucks ,poor resolution not worth it. It ashame on such a great movie on original format, do not waste your money
on March 2, 2013
Do not buy this BluRay 3D DVD set! The picture quality is absolutely terrible. It looks like a grainy, old VHS video tape and the 3D effects don't look that great either. The worst thing about this purchase is you have to open the package to see how bad it looks, and then you will only be eligible for a 50% refund, and you will have to pay for your own return shipping.

I am seriously re-thinking the purchase of anymore DVD's from Amazon because of this return policy.
44 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2000
4:3 ratio screen is very good transfer. However, wide-screen isn't really wide screen. it's a 4:3 screen chopped off from top and bottom. in other word, instead of having a whole theatrical picture, what you get is picture that's been chopped up both vertical and horizontally. what we are seeing is only 1/3 of what's filmed, which is even smaller than 4:3. somebody cheated big time from paramount. setup menu is false leading. I want to see entire wing span on F-14! It does make huge difference on impact in fighting scene. movie this good must be done right. and while at it, make it a anamorphic enhanced.
1515 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2016
I was straight when I started watching this movie, but I seem to like men now. It happened sometime between the volleyball and locker room scene.

"You're right Iceman, I AM dangerous!"
*teeth snap*
review image
on August 6, 2013
I started watching this when it arrived today. First thing I noticed was that the picture was grainy, especially faces.

Then I put in the Old DVD version I have... Not Blu ray by the way. I used the 2D to 3D feature on my TV and the result was much better.

I noticed when I bought the Shrek movies in 3D. The first few were released before 3D was available and I noticed when I put the DVD in that my TV said 2D to 3D....

If you think about it, how are they going to take a movie from the 80's way before 3D and Blu ray and make it a 3D Blu ray? they cannot re film it so they have to manipulate it.

I would save your money.... in the future I won't by a pre- 3D movie in 3D. I'll just use the conversion feature on my TV if I want it.

I hope this helps someone.
on March 29, 2016