Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on April 20, 2010
The book is well laid out, has lots of useful information, and numerous examples of resumes and formatting layouts, cover letters, positioning statements, etc. The feature I found extremely helpful is the Appendix, which has numerous questions to jump start your thinking about what makes you unique. In the end, it's up to you to sell yourself.

There's not much here that's new: much of the information has been around for years. But it's packaged and consolidated in one place, which I found valuable.

A colleague and I both voluntarily left the same organization within a month of each other because we were looking for new opportunities. He and his recruiter both recommended this book and the author's Top Notch Executive Interviews title.

I'm at a stage in my career where I've had senior leadership and CEO positions, and I'm not sure that I want to go back to work in another corporate office setting. Interestingly enough, the book cites an ExecuNet study that showed executive job dissatisfaction began as early as 10 months into the job and and peaked at 14 months, and that average tenure was 3 years. That's pretty close to my own experience.

This book is helping me think through how to better position and market my contract work examples, and what makes my experience and accomplishments invaluable to potential clients. While the book is aimed at those who want to be on salary, its shortcoming is not offering targeted help to those who want to consult and do contract work. That kind of writing is different, in my experience. In my case, I'm looking at some lucrative non-traditional opportunities that give me much more freedom and flexibility than would a corporate position.

All in all, good stuff here.
The most essential component of any job search is, and has always been, the résumé. In this book, résumé specialist Katharine Hansen covers the basics and intricacies of résumé writing for candidates seeking executive positions. She explains, with thoroughness and an up-to-date sensibility, if not originality, that today's executive résumé must be more than a listing of positions and responsibilities. It must detail the candidate's challenges and accomplishments while defining his or her "unique value proposition" and creating a personal brand. Hansen explains how to do this and offers numerous examples, samples and case studies. She describes how to create a portfolio of marketing tools in addition to your résumé. getAbstract recommends this thorough, comprehensive reference as a valuable resource for anyone seeking an executive position, right up to the C-level.
on May 26, 2011
Perhaps the best resume book I've encountered. Gives not only a great set of examples and formats, but provides insight shared by HR, recruiters, and resume screeners. Not sure I agree with taking the "branding" concept as far as they do (shading sections of your resume, etc), but I do understand their idea to make an impression with a certain look. Still a 5 star.
on May 11, 2013
I am a volunteer co-leader of a large career transition support groupGood book for many aspects of job search. Some of the resume formats (lines, bars, etc.) I disagree with, but overall a good point of view on today's job search process.
on July 12, 2011
This is a review for the KINDLE VERSION only. I bought the book mainly because I wanted to have a few good examples of resumes. But on the Kindle version, the resumes are almost impossible to read. I tried to read them on : iPad2, Mac, Kindle - but the formatting is terrible on all devices. DON'T BUY the KINDLE version.
on September 13, 2014
Katharine Hansen has put together a collection of easily accessible resumes for transitioning executives and job seekers looking to move into senior management. She is able to do this by leveraging her extensive writing experience and education. Hansen holds a Ph.D. in organizational behavior and the certifications Master Resume Writer and Credentialed Career Master from Career Masters Institute/The Career Management Alliance. The book provides strategies as well as many pages of sample resumes for various high-level positions. Styled to be used as a job search resource as well as delivering some great templates to model, Hansen's carefully crafted book stands out from other guides I have read. An attempt to cover such a wide range of executive positions in a hundred and fifty-six pages could easily end up as a collection of just resumes, with some description and a lot of generalities. Hansen avoids this by focusing on the most common.
on November 23, 2012
Offered every bit of information I needed, specifically regarding powerful resume phrases. Met every expectation and arrived in great condition.
on August 21, 2011
This book was instrumental in helping me craft a new and compelling resume. I would highly recommend. It has some specific areas with word suggestions for how to describe your accomplishments along with several pages of sample resumes to guide your formatting decisions.
on November 1, 2012
This book has helped me reinvent my resume and my approach to how I sell myself. It has excellent examples of "makeovers" of already very good resumes. Good wisdom within.
on February 16, 2011
the reason I give 1 star is not for the content of this book, it's the kindle version of this book is totally unreadable.

This book provided very good layout and format for the resumes and cover letters. the only problem is you can't see the details what's written in those resumes. The kindle version treat the resume as a whole picture or graph, rather than text. You can't zoom this resume and you can not change the font to make the text readable. As a reference book, the whole point is you want to see what's the content of the resume not just a snapshot of its frame.

Another problem with this ebook, the flexibility and easiness to go back and forth is really pain in the as*. While writing a resume you want to compare few samples and highlight some of the content, it takes ages to go from the first resume to the last resume.

I still want to point out, the book itself is great. I would strongly recommend to buy the paper version of this book. I would regard it is worthwhile for the money.