Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on December 6, 2011
To be honest, I did alot of studying with the comments about this Shield when i was trying to decide to order it or not, and after reading some not so great things about it, I decided to try my luck and order it. I just received it from FedEx a few hours ago, and after getting it out of the box, I ended up getting what I wanted.

I read about how some people ended up getting the other style of this shield, which made me slightly nervous about this buy, but upon getting it out of the box, I flipped the shield over and was extremely relieved to have gotten whats shown in the picture, which is what I was hoping to get. There isn't much to complain about, but it does have a few slight imperfections with the paint, but its nothing that can't be fixed.

Other then the paint, the strap on the back isn't all that great, but then again, once you get it adjusted to the size of your arm, it feels quite nice. Or, if it is a little bothersome for you, just cut the strap down to size, or even make your own. The handle is a little questionable, but then again, its nothing really big to worry about, something you can easily make yourself as well.

I was nervous about this buy from the moment I pressed the Place Order button, but Its exactly what I wanted, exactly the way I thought it'd be, and I'm very pleased as to what I received. Hopefully, this review will be a little help, and a little more positive reinforcement, because there shouldn't be any worry involved when you place your order for this. Its an absolutely gorgeous Shield, and with a Replica of the Master Sword with it, Its a really astounding picture.

Must Buy!
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2013
This review is going to do what my master sword replica review did: set things straight for buyers so that they understand what they are buying.

This review is for the shield in the picture- not the shield with the red outline around the triforce.

I am a swordsman and a Zelda fan. I have the master sword replica, so check out that review.

Let me start out with the Hylian shield I highly recommend:

[...]

This one is light, battle ready and has beautiful craftsmanship. It is so unpopular unfortunately. So make it popular by buying one! It is only $60.00 on Twiggy's Treasures.

Anyways, the shield is mediocre. The front side is decently accurate. The paint job is ok. There are hundreds of little paint bubbles coating the surface, and the silver paint is poorly brushed.
The shield is solid cold cast poly resin, not fiber glass. If you drop it, it will chip. The casting job is ok but around the edges of the shield there are small scratches and dents. The shield is also pretty heavy.

The paint on the back looks like crap- sorry to say that, just a lack for a better term! However, repainting it on your own is very easy so don't worry about that.

The Velcro arm strap is difficult to figure out, and was also not the best in the first place so I made my own. Get creative and enjoy yourself with this. I used a small chain with a little clip on each end (such as the ones found on dog leashes,) I took a small square of strong, comfortable foam, wrapped the foam around the chain, and stapled it with a common home/office stapler- and it turned out great. I bent the small receiving holes on the back (originally meant for the Velcro strap) so that I could clip the chain on.

The handle is placed incorrectly so that the weight of the shield rests mostly on your hand. The steel handle is a thin and completely hollow pole that you feed a long, thin screw through to fasten it on. Not a good handle.

I do not recommend putting any sword in the sword mounter; it will cause damage to the sword blade. The sword mounter is tedious to use and I still don't trust that it will hold the blade up because all you're doing is putting the blade on the sword mounting plate, putting another plate on top of the blade, and screwing the plates together to put pressure on the sword blade. Not very sufficient mechanics. You are basically making a sandwich with your sword and the two mounting plates on the back of the shield- except the bologna feels like it will fall out. And that is what the mount is- bologna.

The mounting chain broke the second time I hung it up...and so I lost a couple minutes of sleep to make a new one. Luckily it did not wake up my imaginary girlfriend, Juliet.

Overall, the shield is what you pay for. The only pros are the paint- it is durable. Also, the accents on the shield (raised pieces) are accurate. Otherwise, I do not recommend this shield.

I recommend the all steel battle ready hylian shield from Twiggy's Treasures for $59.99 or from Blade Daddy Swords for $52.00. Much better quality and more durable. Thanks for reading my review, I hope I helped your decision.
review image review image review image review image review image
on March 19, 2010
I got this shield as part of my cosplay gear.

Looks: very good color design. It may be custom painted as the gold triforce and red bird appears like someone may have done it with a spray paint can, but it still looks fairly nice. The blue and silver are very well done.

Weight: This shield is around 7-8 pounds so it is decently heavy.

Material: Some sort of fiberglass and/or clay mix. It is very difficult to drill through because it took quite awhile to modify mine without damaging the shield. It is very hard and solid though so it won't fall apart on you during normal cosplay/costume use.

Arm straps: These leave something to be desired and is the thing I like least about the shield. You get velcro straps for your upper arm and a foam lined hollow metal bar for the hand grip. You have to install the grip and straps yourself with the screws and what nots provided. I noticed that with some fast movements the metal contacts holding the hand grip to the shield would pop out of it's grip. Quick to reinstall but definitely irritating especially during a cosplay event. It shouldn't be an issue if you decide to strap it to your back the entire time. As for the upper arm strap I used some paracord through the provided strap holes which I sized for my arm and is much more comfortable than the velcro straps. You may want to consider making your own hand grip for it if you plan on using it for more than just show. The forearm can rest against the metal wall mounts provided so you may want to consider some sort of glued on foam pad for comfort.

Overall I give this 4-star. I think it's the best on the market, and even though it has a few flaws it looks very nice and is quite usable as long as you aren't too rough with it.
on August 19, 2009
This is a very nice replica to have, especially if you have a master sword. It's perfect for display, but I'm not so sure about playing with it though. It's very durable and all, but the arm strap hooks tend to come undone. Other than that, it's a very good product.
on August 23, 2013
there are holes in the silver ends that go into the blue area of the shield, 5 holes in all and theres an unappealing red line painted around each triangle of the triforce symbol
it missing the silver details around the triforce and around the bottom corners
it looks like a 5 year old made it, nothing like the picture and as though it cost 3 dollars to make
it is useful for my costume but still ugly when compared to what it was supposed to look like
review image
on July 12, 2014
I am not a collector. I have only a vague idea of how Zelda, Link and the tri-force are connected. Everything I know about Zelda comes from what I pick up from my kids. So, this review is just from a mom who bought this shield for her 12 year old son.

This is not a toy. Maybe that is obvious to many of you, but for me, I just didn't pay enough attention to the description and reviews. This is made from some type of hard plastic. The whole thing is 7 pounds. Kind of heavy for a kid to heft while he is defending the universe.

Had my son not requested this specific item, I would never have purchased it. I would have looked for one that could hold up to a child's imaginative play.

However, this review isn't based on the fact that it is more of a prop than a toy. It is because of the quality of the blasted thing...

The whole thing stinks like it was just painted. I feel like I get a grimy dust on my fingers every time I touch it. I opened the package to find loose screws, brackets and other non-identifiable parts. There are no instructions or even a picture of what the back side should even look like. I figured out how to attache the handle -- which is NOT leather wrapped like the description says but just FOAM wrapped. I know where the strap is supposed to go but there is no logical way to attach it. Then there is a whole bracket-y sort of thing loose that doesn't seem to have a home. Not to mention all the random screws. The pieces to the shield that are already on the shield are screwed in crooked.

It does look cool and has a place for the sword to hang. So that is why the two stars. My son loves it. I just look at it as a waste of money.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 8, 2014
I got this shield, along with a Master Sword for a movie project I'm working on. My highest priority was accurate to the games, but unfortunately I could not find one that was. Most of them out there are either this one I got, or the similar one with the red outline around the triforce. Neither of these versions perfectly match any shield from any Zelda game, but this one was pretty close to the one from Twilight Princess. The main problem is just that it's too long/tall. The proportions are just a little off, and the center of the red column should not be as wide or have the holes in it. But other than those nitpicks, it's a decent replica, and most people won't know the difference between all the different Zelda shields anyway.

Now as for the actual quality of the item, it was about as good as I could realistically expect from the price, but if there was a higher quality item out there, I would have bought that instead (even at a higher price). The front of the shield does look pretty good despite some minor painting goofs around the red and yellow sections, but the rear of the shield looks awful. It literally looks like someone only had 10 seconds to paint the back so they did it as fast as possible with a giant paint roller with no concern for quality. You could repaint it fairly easily, so it's not that big of a deal, but yeesh. The front of the shield matters most since it will be seen more whether you are holding it or mounting it on a wall, and it does look pretty cool.

The handle and velcro strap are good enough to do the job, but they could easily be improved upon. The velcro arm strap made me feel especially stupid as it took forever to figure out how to even position it to work without falling off or coming loose. But once I got that taken care of I was pretty satisfied with it.

If you are a purist or want the best replica out there, you may be disappointed with this, but I really think most people will find this shield to be quite cool. If you're just trying to throw together a convincing Link costume, this will easily meet that goal and it will impress most anyone who sees it. But I can't say it's perfect. Despite its flaws though, I don't regret my purchase. It does the job and when I'm done using it, it will certainly look cool on whatever wall I end up mounting it to.
on January 21, 2012
It's actually not so bad, except for the paint job and the band is on the wrong side(Link is left handed)
But, it is worth the price if all you want to do is a simple paint job and fixing the handle.

The Velcro was really the only part was made poorly and came undone easily, but it was very easily fixed in a few minutes. Over all, a pretty good buy if you know how to fix it up a bit.
on November 19, 2012
Here's the problem with this shield... As an aesthetic problem, the Triforce is outlined in red for some reason, which I do not recall being in any of the games. That would not have been a problem if the arm brace was not so impossible to put together/wield!

The handle that you use to grip the shield is really awful. Poorly made and I cannot imagine it lasting an hour of use. I only wore the shield on my back for Halloween, and that was because the handle for the shield was not feasible for use.

Best thing? Make your own handle if you want to hold it.
on May 15, 2013
I am very disappointed. If you are looking to buy the shield in the picture, look elsewhere. The picture showed the shield with more details than it actually had, and it was a lot smaller than expected. The length was actually 21 inches and the width 17 inches. :(