Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on July 7, 2012
I bought this for the Macbook Pro Retina and received the product today. It fits the keyboard perfectly!! I highly recommend this product from TopCase!
The material is very thin which is what you want!!
review image review image review image review image
on January 2, 2014
2+ YEAR UPDATE:
I have had this overlay now for almost 3 years, so I thought I would report back with how this overlay is performing.
It is still -BY FAR- the best overlay I have used on a MBP. Why?
1. The plastic has not discolored or turned yellow, like other overlays that I've tried.
2. I've ben cleaning off the natural oils from my fingers with wipes. No hardening or cracking of the material.
3. I didn't realize it at first, but I've come to enjoy the lightly textured surface of the overlay.
4. The overlay does not make typing any more difficult. (i.e., I don't have to push down harder than I would if the overlay was removed)
5. The overlay does not interfere or "bunch up" when typing fast, which I found happens with other materials that tended to bubble or distort on the keys. This material is still very much "tight" on the keys and not shifting around.
6. I like this product so much that I just came back to buy a new one for my next MBP purchase this year.

I still highly recommend this product. If you are considering some other brand of overlay with "painted" undersides, don't do it! The paint wears off, as well as the paint that makes the lettering. So you are left with what looks like a crappy keyboard. You can't go wrong with a clear overlay.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Review:

I tried this brand of keyboard skin for my 2013 MacBook Pro after trying two other competing skins, found here on Amazon. I found this one works the best out of all 3, because:

1. This skin does not shift and slide around on the keys while typing (It is a tight fit)
2. This skin is the thinnest yet and slightly texturized for a nice key-press "feel". Other skins ended up being too thick, which made me feel like I had to press a little harder for each key. The thicker material in other skins also made me feel like I was pressing down on something "soggy", resulting in less resilience.
3. This skin does not have any printing on it, which I have found to wear off exceedingly fast on other skins, causing my keyboard to look old and fatigued. (Who wants a keyboard overlay with worn-out lettering on it after a few weeks? This skin is very transparent with a soft, milky hue that lays over the stark black keys, but not enough to obscure the lettering underneath.
4. This skin has not discolored and turned yellowish like other skins I tried
5. The edging for this particular model of skin fits really, really well on the MacBook. It does not exceed the inset "cupped bevel" of the Mac keyboard, while other skins would have a bit of an unsightly overlap or "fringe". This particular skin cut also fits perfectly on the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, while one other skin I tried had extra "fringe" and slid around on the keys slightly more.

I couldn't be happier that I finally found an overlay that comes really close to typing on the original keys, and I am very picky when it comes to keyboards since I type on my MacBook Pro about 10 hours a day.

If you are considering a skin for the first time, it's an intelligent idea, as it will keep out all sorts of dirt particles (you'd be surprised what becomes trapped as you start using it), and will help with the resale value of your MacBook by preventing the oils and friction of your fingers from wearing on an otherwise unprotected keyboard, which causes shiny "worn spots" on the spacebar and most commonly used keys.

I've seen some people complaining that using skins will prevent the MacBook from ventilating properly. However, I have an app installed on my MacBook Pro (2013) that shows temperature readings inside the computer, and I don't see any temperature difference when the computer sits idle with the overlay on versus off.

Hope this helps with your purchase decision.
on August 17, 2012
I ordered this for my new Macbook Pro with Retina Display after some extensive searching on the internet. I'm pleased to say it fits perfectly over the keyboard, and is easy to place on and remove. The keys, as keys with any cover on them, feel a bit stiff, but not unbearably so. I think it's good as protection against dust, crumbs, and oil from your fingers, but I wouldn't feel safe with spills. In comparison with a different keyboard cover I ordered online, this one is less "sticky," as the material is uniform, and does not have an adhesive-like material on the underside. I feel more "safe" from spills with the other cover on, yet I prefer this one, as it has a nice, simple look that complements the computer well. The other cover is larger, and extends over the well of the keyboard and sits directly next to the speakers. The backlight is a bit muted, but still shines nicely through the cover.

Also, it may just be me, but I find typing very quickly to be a bit difficult with the cover on. I wish it was a bit thinner, and had some "stickiness" just along its circumference to firmly secure it into place. It's hard to describe, but by "stickiness" I'm referring to a rubbery, shiny material I found on the underside of the different cover.

Overall it's a great cover, one that feels sturdier than the moshi cleargaurd. I feel comfortable taking the cover off and tossing it on my desk. It's not flimsy, and looks easy to clean. The low price makes it easy to replace if damaged or lost.
on August 20, 2012
This is an excellent keyboard cover for macs! I have a retina display macbook pro and it fits perfectly! It's also NOT the gross silicone type (squishy and gummy) of keyboard cover, it's very thin, transparent, and look beautiful. It is almost identical to the Moshii brand keyboard cover, except this one sells for less than half of that price!

I definitely recommend this cover!! I am very happy with this product! : )
on January 9, 2013
Very thin and flexible; in fact too much so. It is impossible to get this to stay on the keyboard comfortably. It needs to have some light adhesive of some kind to make it effective. I finally have given up and will trust apple-care should there be a spill.
on December 4, 2014
Nice case to keep the keys covered and protected from dush, and to prevent those smudges on the computer screen that form when you use `larger` keyboard covers.

But my complaint is it doesn`t adequately protect the keyboard if you infact spill something small near the edge of the cover. It`s so thin and it does not cover the groves of the keyboard, so the liquid seeps right under. Luckily for me my MBP was fine and it was a tiny, tiny spill, but the incident taught me that this product is probably best for dust prrotection and as an initial barrier if something is spilled in the middle of the keyboard. If you ever spill anything towards the edge of the cover you are out of luck, as it does not protect the grooves.
on May 4, 2014
This isn't the perfect skin. The overall feeling of the skin can feel sticky/gummy. I don't mean that it -is- sticky, but it just feels that way a little. Also, it isn't the tightest fit, and sometimes the corners will lift off a little if you type in a certain way. The most problematic areas for me is when I'm pressing the right arrow or holding down left fn on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina.

Even with these complaints, this is a really good skin. You get used to it being on there, despite the slight looseness, it really is form fitting. Installation is easy, clean up is easy, too, and you get a bit of piece of mind knowing your investment is protected. It's essentially a keyboard prophylactic. So long oil stains, accidental spills, crumbs and dust. Did I mention that this is only $0.99? I know it's an "Add-on Item", but hey! It only costs a buck, and it helps keep your laptop/keyboard clean.

For further clean up, I wanted to I washed it yesterday with dish soap, air dried and patted it dry with a towel. It stood up rather well and didn't have any problems.
on July 24, 2012
Perfect fit. Much better than silicone keyboard protectors. I'm not a bit fan of the standard slick keys on the unibody macs, but this keyboard protecter gives me the perfect amount of grip when typing. I'd rather type with the keyboard protecter on than off. It is super thin and allows for the light under my keys to shine through with no problems.
on January 16, 2013
This keyboard cover fits the Retina MBP just fine. Yes, it's not exactly "stuck down" and you can accidentally lift the edges when using the keyboard, but I didn't want a permanent film on my keyboard so that's just fine with me. It's secure enough. I feel that it will protect my laptop from accumulating crud under the keys. Typing feels different, but I got used to it pretty quickly. My only problem is that when it arrived, the keyboard cover was folded. This was not an accident-- it as purposefully packaged that way (folded around the mousepad). Now I have a big crease on my keyboard! I'm hoping that with use it will flatten out.
on April 12, 2013
I bought this for my macbook pro 15' retina display (2013 edition) and have used it for 2 months now with no problems. I had a keyboard cover for my old laptop and had gotten used to using it. This cover is perfect. I would definitely buy this again in a heartbeat if I ever needed to. I was worried that it would cause the keyboard to overheat but that has not happened. If my fan is running loudly (which is hardly ever) I will peel the cover off a little to help cool the computer down and it seems to do the trick. And doesn't re-heat or anything. In these cases I think the fan would be over working anyways (due to applications I was running) not because of the keyboard cover itself. There are teeny tiny holes on the corner of each key slot that may help make it more breathable. With my last cover sometimes I would have condensation build up underneath but with this one I have not had that problem at all. It doesn't slip/slide n the keyboard or anything, as other reviews have said.

Pros:
super thin and let's the light underneath the keyboard shine through.
It makes typing a little quieter.
Collects dust/dirt/cat hair
Hardly noticeable (most people would not even know it was there)
Inexpensive! Cannot beat this price. I think it's prob just as good as the more expensive ones although I haven't tried them, I can't see how it could be any better.

Cons:
None that I can think of!