5.0 out of 5 stars Anaconda 7b, February 6, 2012
This review is from: Tops Knives Anaconda 7B
TOPS Knives makes great tools for almost every situation. The Anaconda 7b was appealing to me because of the aggressive angle of the blade as well as the re-curve cutting surface. After taking it out a few times I can say it is worth the price, definitely a big sturdy knife, it is just short enough to still be used for smaller tasks but long enough to be a useful for brush clearing. The edge retention is good, the spine is soft (no need to worry about it breaking) and the tip is strong. I wouldn't call this a bushcraft knife by my own standards (it is a little large for me but that doesn't mean it couldn't be used by someone who prefers a larger knife), though I would use it extensively as a camp knife or if I had to fight off an animal. This is an imposing blade, the coating is durable and the grips are very good and in my hand caused no hotspots while chopping. Secure in the hand, this was my first TOPS knife and I will buy from them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars knife review, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Tops Knives Anaconda 7B
This is a well made utility survival knife that will last for many years if cared for. The knife is made of heavy steel with a handle that appears to be of excellent quality matching that of the blade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all Trades, January 9, 2013
This review is from: Tops Knives Anaconda 7B
It's hard to categorize this knife. It's both a bushcraft and fighting knife, somewhat like a Bowie and kukhuri mixed together. The blade gets its toughness from a thick spine and steeply ground profile, which make the Anaconda heavy and reduce its cutting efficiency; it gets its corrosion resistance from TOPs' truck-bed-like coating, which is sexy and exceptionally tough, though it may reduce cutting efficiency a little.

The handle is very thick and blocky, with a full tang. On the up side, you know this is a stout, hard-use knife when you hold 'er. On the down side, unless you have large hands, this handle is going to feel overlarge. The squareness of the handle creates hot spots even when not putting the knife to hard tasks.

At this point, you may be wondering why I gave this knife five stars. Simple. Pet peeves aside, this is still a fantastic knife for the price. I love the recurved blade (something the larger Anaconda 9 lacks). The recurve makes both hacking and whittling a breeze, despite the efficiency and hot-spot problems I noted earlier. The wire cutters and lash hole in the spine reassure me of the knife's usefulness in extreme and unusual circumstances. I would prefer a completely flat-ground blade, like the one sported on TOPS' Longhorn Bowie, but at least I know that this heavy spine and steep grind will hold up under severe lateral stress. I would prefer this knife in A2 steel (which might allow for a better grind and thinner blade without sacrificing strength), but such a steel would probably put this knife in another price class.

For the money, this is definitely a knife to consider.

Tops Knives Anaconda 7B