Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 19, 2008
OOOH! I love this book. It's definitely got "flava". The author is from the South, but the patterns are sexy and adaptable to the Los Angeles climate and fashion scene. It's refreshing to find crochet patterns in one collection that are more "Hip-Hop" than "Hippie". Fast, simple and sexy patterns for women AND men. There are the usual standards (armwarmers, halters, tunics), but they are snug fitting and photographed with an fresh, urban feel. I like her simple, but colorful yarn choices in the pics too. I'll be making a bunch of these patterns in the Summer months. ADDED 3/14/08: I suggest you use stretchy yarns (lycra/spandex blends) to make the little pullover tops. They are very snug and crochet stitches usually create a dense unstretchy fabric that doesn't spring back into shape.
11 comment16 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2011
I bought this book when it first came out and have made a few of the patterns. The only one that turned out was L'il Ma... I had to reconstruct the patterns as I went, meaning I had to adapt what was written to the actual process of crochet. I don't think this book had a proof reader or was checked by a technical writer who crochets. If it had been, a number of the errors that I've had to work through would have been caught. Also, the instructions are not followed through to the end, relying (it seems) on the crocheter's intuition. There are a number of cute patterns, but the proof of the pudding is always in the eating. I think the author of this book is a visual crocheter and needs to fine tune her technical instructions.
on December 2, 2007
Afya is very talented and creative. I love both of her pattern books. The patterns are easy to follow and she gives great tips in the begining so even a novice would be able to tackle these projects. I would totally recommend this book if you are looking for unique and beautiful designs. My sister is already requesting that I make her everything in the book.
on April 30, 2008
This book, much like Afya's other book (which focuses on hats) is awesome. One huge problem as a stylish, hip crocheter is finding summer-appropriate and funky patterns, and here they are. And they're easy to do. I also love that this book has patterns that echo traditions from multiple cultures, not the typical argyle, Celtic, and cable patterns (which are all pulled from white culture). Between my roommate and I, we've been rockin' out the patterns in this book. I can't wear any of it without being slathered in compliments.
on October 18, 2011
I had this book at one time and gave it away. The fashions are great looking, and the designs are very simple and look more complicated than they actually are. The only reason I gave it away is that I simply don't look good in the types of designs here and I dress a little more modestly. If I weren't such a prude, I would definitely wear them. I ended up giving it to a girl 20 years younger than I am and she loves it. If you're larger than a D cup, this book isn't for you if you like your chest mostly covered. If you're the type who can wear a bikini top in public, this is great.
on October 11, 2012
I'm a beginning crocheter. The first half of the book is wonderful for beginners. Very thorough review, good stitch charts, and great pattern deciphering info. I also really appreciated the diversity of the models and showcasing of these designs on people of color. This may seem trivial to some, but it was great to see how garments made from different colors/tones of yarn and thread look on darker skin tones. There was also a mix of male and female models. I think the designs themselves are a bit of a mixed bag. There are some cute, easy projects like the shoe laces, tie, the earrings, handwarmers etc. However, I think Ms. Ibomu missed the opportunity to create a very timeless and wonderful crochet reference by making things (including the project titles) too trendy. They read very dated now ("Mad skillz" is the rating system for an advanced pattern). Also, some of the projects and project styling were odd (a crocheted gold "rope" chain, and a crocheted chain belt???). Again, too dated at this point even though I get the homage to old school hip hop. The other patterns are heavily warm weather ( a lot of halter and bare back styles). Some are very adorable, so if there's a gap in your library for warm weather crochet patterns you will probably enjoy those quite a bit.

I don't regret buying this book at all! I really enjoyed the beautiful people of color showcased here (including Ms. Ibomu- gorgeous lady!) and many of the projects will be quick and fun for a beginner. She does a great a job helping you decipher crochet patterns. The book is also reasonably priced for the great information, even if you don't make most of the patterns. I just hope Ms. Ibomu's next book can capture more fashionable crochet that is ethnocentric without being cliche.
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2007
This book was okay enough to add to my knitting and crocheting library. I have her Hats and cool Caps pattern book and I love all the hats in that book, so I figure this book would be the same. I give this book about a C average because I can only see myself making about four or five items, maybe next book she can add more cute tops like the one on the cover (this made me want the book in the first place).
44 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2008
The is one of the best crochet books I've ever purchased. The instructions are so clear even a beginner could understand them. You know how some instructions leave you wondering how to complete a row, not this book the writer gives you total information. And the projects are fantastic!!! I can't make them fast enough. My daughter is always asking when is her next top going to be ready. Thanks for writing such a great book.
on June 27, 2008
I have crocheted since I was 14 and now am 71 yrs. old. All this time making doilies etc. This book is such an inspiration to me just wish these designs were available when I was younger...so hip and cool with perfect color combinations. I also like Afya's choices in the book...all types of great things to crochet.....men's shirts, ties and so much more...all super easy with really good pictures to show how to do so many stitches....One question; Afya, where did you ever get these wonderful ideas??? This book rocks! Lovelaffs
on September 15, 2010
I bought this book on the clearance rack figuring, I'd find a top for a specific spoken word night in LA I was to attend. It turns out the womens' tops are the same pattern revised multiple times. There's one, ONLY ONE! pattern I liked in the book and it was earrings. What am I supposed to do with a pattern to crochet a chain??? really!? I used it to make garland for a tree. I'm dead serious. If the book were not on clearance, I would have returned it. The hat book is much better. now... This earned a second star only because I set it out during dinner parties as a conversation starter.