4.0 out of 5 stars A solid Entry into Japanese 3D Horror
Published 15 months ago by Matthew Scott Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars dont wast your time
what joke must be written by 12yr. old. very poorley acted and written waste of time and money . could not watch for more then 5 min.
Published 3 months ago by j.g.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid Entry into Japanese 3D Horror, April 5, 2013
This review is from: Tormented [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Japanese horror is a lot of fun, although it can be an acquired taste. Some folks find it too quirky, since the Japanese culture has different views on society and what scares them. Others find it too nonsensical. But for me, I love it. These films usually hit on something primal, a deeply ingrained nerve that gives everyone an uneasy feeling, regardless of race. TORMENTED is one of those films. Deeply rooted in psychological fears, this film will haunt you long after it is over.

Last summer, long before my blog crashed, I reviewed another one of Takashi Shimizu's films titled SHOCK LABYRINTH 3D. I had mixed feelings on that particular film because, although it was shot well and had a nice chill to it, the storyline was sketchy and didn't make sense in certain parts. This is important for TORMENTED because the film pulls from SHOCK LABYRINTH in a few different ways.

Let me explain: the characters in TORMENTED go to a movie theater and see SHOCK LABYRINTH in 3D...which is where the rabbit comes from. It literally flies out of the picture and into their world. Sound crazy? Trust me...it is...but it is really cool. This "tie-in" runs throughout the film as well, even taking the characters to the hospital in which the previous movie was set.

But TORMENTED is not a sequel, nor is it technically related to the other film. It just relies on SHOCK LABYRINTH a bit to give it some plot-plugs. I really like how Shimizu was able to pull this off; if it were done any other way, it would have been cheesy.

TORMENTED is shot very well with some eye-popping 3D effects. The acting is really good as well, with a well-rounded cast that gives great performances. There's even a bit of good looking gore (although it is very brief) for you gore-hounds out there.

This film is a wide-eyed win for me and I suggest checking it out. It has an awesome twist that I didn't see coming and some spellbinding 3D for total immersion. The film hit store shelves earlier this week, so give it a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Rabbit Horror 3D" caught me off guard. Very good film., June 14, 2013
Asian Mack "Art" (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tormented [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Being a film student and a big fan of Takashi Shimizu's work with my favorites being "Ju-on 2", "Marebito" and now "Tormented 3D" aka "Rabbit Horror 3D", I was very disappointed in his film "Shock Labyrinth 3D". I was concerned that he was going mainstream and lost his edge like the Pang Bros. and M. Night Shyamalan have. Being a graduate of Psychology and Social Sciences, I was enthralled by this film. The film is loaded with psychological aspects and is one big case study of a tortured protagonist. You would think that someone walking around in a rabbit suit would be a ridiculous and rubbish but this is not the case with this film. The film is very haunting and disturbing at times. There are also a couple of very scary scenes that will stay with you for a while. The blu-ray has a nice transfer and the audio is good and boasts a haunting score by musical genius Kenji Kawai (who has done soundtracks for films like: "Ghost in the Shell", "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence", "Death Note", "Death Note: The Last Name", "L: Change the World", "Ip Man", "Sadako 3D", "Gantz", "Gantz: Perfect Answer", "The Incite Mill", "Avalon", "Ringu 2", "The Princess Blade", "Dark Water", "Premonition", "Assault Girls", "Reincarnation", "The Sky Crawlers" and many more). I highly recommend "Tormented 3D". Mr. Shimizu, you have restored my faith.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rabbit Horror [Tormented] Focuses Less on Scares and More on Drama, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Tormented [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Shimizu dipped out of his realm of creepy and scary to focus more on a horror-esque fantasy adventure that is literally connected to his previous film Shock Labyrinth 3d. I personally enjoyed the film and if you are a long running Shimizu fan, there should be a great movie waiting here for you. I wasn't a HUGE fan of Shock Labyrinth, but I thought this was much better. Also the two leads, and the kid were all great. Chris Doyle (a once Wong Kar Wai regular) acts a cinematographer for this film, and it shows. Quite appealing to look at. If you are looking for a more Ju-On style film, look elsewhere. This is quite different from his previous works.

I'd give it a 3.5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray Review: "Tormented 3D", March 23, 2013
This review is from: Tormented [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
My first exposure to the films of Takashi Shimizu was "Ju-on: The Grudge." I remember seeing it and literally gripping my armchair in horror while hoping the freaky dead lady crawling down the stairs wouldn't find a way out of my television to get me. I also remember thinking to myself, "Why can't Americans make horror flicks like this?"

When I received an e-mail that Shimizu was going to be in town promoting his new movie "Tormented 3D" for the Dallas International Film Festival (DIFF), you better believe I jumped at the opportunity to interview him and see it in a rare theatrical screening. I was blown away by the twisted tale that unraveled in front of me. I knew there was so much going on that I would need to see the movie again. Thanks to Well Go USA, I got the chance with its release on Blu-ray.

After seeing a 3D horror movie featuring a stuffed white rabbit, siblings Kiriko and Daigo begin seeing it in a life-sized form. The giant creature stalks them and seems to be trying to tell them something. What is the rabbit attempting to communicate to them and what sort of psychological doorways will it open?

Director Shimizu told me "Tormented 3D" was a companion piece to his film "The Shock Labyrinth 3D." I never realized how much it relied on "The Shock Labyrinth 3D" until I saw it again. It's basically the trigger for all the misery Daigo and Kiriko suffer through in this movie. It's the proverbial key that unlocks the dark recesses of their minds.

I know the idea of a giant white bunny rabbit running around grabbing people and stalking them might sound absurd. Trust me when I tell you, Shimizu takes the seemingly goofy concept and twists it around in your psyche to the extent that you'll never want to participate in an Easter Egg Hunt or read the story of Peter Cottontail ever again.

A lack of special features for the Blu-ray release of "Tormented 3D" is tragic. A 3D version of the movie and a trailer is all that's included. If you get the chance to see the movie in 3D, you should do so. Shimizu told the audience at the screening I attended he preferred everyone see it that way. I expected a "Making of" featurette since "The Shock Labyrinth 3D" Blu-ray had one. I was disappointed not to find one.

If you love Asian cinema, "Tormented 3D" is an essential addition to your collection. It's not likely you'll only watch the film once, as it takes several viewings to truly take everything in that it offers visually. This is so much more than a typical horror film and offers an emotional journey as well as a thrill ride.

"Tormented 3D" is available now on Blu-ray and DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange movie but entertaining, March 22, 2014
This review is from: Tormented [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First DVD Blu-ray version quality is excellent.

Movie. Called "Rabbit Horror" in Japanese is about a girl that was traumatized as a child. It kept my interest the entire movie. Like some Korean movies,..what you see isn't always what is happening.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont wast your time, March 15, 2014
j.g. (LANCASTER, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice rebound, Shimizu. Nice rebound, March 5, 2014
This review is from: Tormented [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
You know, after seeing "Shock Labyrinth" (2009) I thought Takashi Shimizu was losing it. Sure, it was only one movie, but it was a really lame movie that felt like amateur hour. Most fortunately, Shimizu rebounds nicely with "Rabbit Horror." A young mute woman (Hikari Mitsushima, arguably Japan's best young actress) and her little brother experience nightmarish visions involving a large rabbit. While there's nothing particularly scary here, the horror imagery is creative and fun to watch (there is an emphasis on dream logic, various "forms" of rabbits, an amusement park, and a nifty spiral staircase). The psychological elements are nothing new, but they unfold nicely and are engaging. Ironically, this has certain similarities to "Shock Labyrinth" but does everything a lot better. At only 83 minutes this is a cool movie that flies right by.

By the way, the highly acclaimed Christopher Doyle (In the Mood for Love, Hero, Green Tea) is the cinematographer, so that helps too.

Some other recent Japanese horror films that I recommend are "Lesson of the Evil" (2012), "Cult" (2013), "The Complex" (2013), "Kotsutsubo" (2011), all four of the "Kaidan Horror Classics" (2010) films, and all four of Koji Shiraishi's "Senritsu Kaiki File" (2012-2013) films.

3.0 out of 5 stars the 3d is good. the movie is eclectic, September 22, 2013
Michael Dobey (colorado springs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tormented [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have the film 'shock labrynth" on 3d blu ray and about half the scenes in the film have double images. the 3d is full of problems , As this is the related to that film: I was worried that it would also be full of issues. It's not, the 3d only rarely double images in this one. In fact the 3d is mostly outstanding and any movie shot in 3d , looks much better than those that are converted to 3d later. That was a relief, so you can buy this one and have lots of great 3d viewing here for he most part. In fact , this one does have bubbles and staircases etc that are very much startling to watch. And the ending was shocking and explosive in 3d. The film was also called 'rabbit horror' in Japan, because rabbits are everywhere in this one. And the story does make sense completely. At first a young boy is haunted by a giant rabbit suited ghost, who is his mothers, his sister also see's the ghost. Then the story expands and we find out who is really being haunted. It's a decent horror film that is more psychological than the directors past films like 'the grudge" and others. There is this guy who reviews 3d movies on how much things pop out at you. which is wrong of course as most 3d is about depth and not that , but he would find lots of those scenes in this one. This movie does have a plot , and it made much more sense to me than shock labyrinth" did , in fact in one scene they are watching that movie in this one!. And 875 of the 3d scenes look great. So it's worth it on that level too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd hoped, September 15, 2013
larrybmovie (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tormented [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Story wasn't as scary as I expected and the 3D effects don't compare with the likes of Dredd or Avatar. This is a case of letting myself be influenced by the other reviews. Rent before you buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Running Low On Scares, The Japanese Are Now Just Messing With Us, March 31, 2013
This review is from: Tormented (DVD)
Look, I can appreciate a hallucinogenic fright-fest as well as the next person. All one need do is take a look at some of the horror films I've reviewed here and elsewhere to know that - even though I may not count the genre as my favorite - I cut horror flicks an awful lot of slack. I'd argue that all I require is that the film actually presents a story with an imaginative enough concept and vivid enough characters put through interesting enough steps that it keeps my interest. Now, that's a pretty short order if you think about it, and, up until recently, the Japanese have done some genuinely great things in the field. I may not have liked them all, but, at the very least, I've appreciated what they've brought to the game.

But - seriously - what just happened?

(NOTE: The following review will contain minor spoilers necessary solely for the discussion of plot and characters. If you're the kind of reader who prefers a review entirely spoiler-free, then I'd encourage you to skip down to the last two paragraphs for my final assessment. If, however, you're accepting of a few modest hints at `things to come,' then read on ...)

Kiriko and Daigo - brother and sister - are a family in crisis. Born from separate mothers (who both died under mysterious circumstances), they've also lost their father to his work as a creator of children's pop-up books. While he spends all day with his creations, they keep to themselves. To treat themselves, they took in a movie - a 3D one featuring a stuffed killer rabbit. To his surprise, that rabbit actually came out of the movie screen, and now Daigo has taken it home for himself.

Turns out that wasn't such a good idea.

And it turns out that much of TORMENTED is tormented with one bad or clichéd idea after another, which is quite a surprise given that it springs from the fertile imagination of director Takashi Shimizu. Still, I've heard it said that Shimizu can be an acquired taste, so maybe this one just wasn't to my liking. The striking visuals and drug-trip-inspired narrative (i.e. what's real, what's not real, etc.) can only force an audience to suspend its disbelief for so long. Eventually, a story has to come to its senses, but TORMENTED rather boldly but ineffectually strikes out into some rather peculiar territory. Suffice it to say, one should always question what one sees in a Shimizu picture because it may not exist in the very next frame.

I've no doubt someone else can make more sense from these images. Perhaps the problem is that they're layered on too thickly and too consistently for too long a period. It's just that I found it progressively difficult to care about any of the characters when I couldn't figure out whether or not they were real (so far as the story was concerned) or were figments of someone else's imagination. Flashbacks, dream sequences, and nightmares usually are the stuff of legendary cinema, but this time out I think someone forgot what the legend was supposed to be.

TORMENTED is produced by Dentsu, Epic Records, Fortissimo Films, Ogura Jimusyo Co., Phantom Film, and VAP. DVD distribution (stateside) is being handled by Well Go USA. As for the technical specifications, the film looks and sounds as sharp as any I've seen out of Japan, and no expense was spared in bringing this curiosity to cinematic life. For those who need it spelled out, this is a Japanese language film with English subtitles available. As is often the case with these imports, the disc is lacking any special feature to speak of ... not a big deal because I seriously wasn't all that interested in knowing much more about all of this bizarre story.

Not really RECOMMENDED. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. I've no doubt that a film like TORMENTED has an audience. I'm just not sure what that audience is or, for that matter, where they might reside. As a consequence, it's really hard to give it an endorsement or even a modest `thumbs up.' It's a ghost story of sorts ... just not a very good one. Still, so much of the film is steeped in a suitably creepy atmosphere, but I can't help but wonder if there's more to this that was simply lost in the translation. Monty Python showed us rabbits could kill, and now director Shimizu shows us they can drive you crazy.

In the interests of fairness, I'm pleased to disclose that the fine folks at Well Go USA provided me with an advance DVD copy of TORMENTED 3D for the expressed purposes of completing this review.

Tormented [Blu-ray]
Tormented [Blu-ray] by Takashi Shimizu (Blu-ray - 2013)
$29.98 $11.95