5.0 out of 5 stars Torn - Trylle Trilogy # 2
Amanda Hocking did it again! Another page turner that I simply couldn't put down. Beautifully written, engaging characters and a story-line that didn't stop.

When we leave Wendy at the ending of Switched, she and Rhys are just starting a reunion with a very worried Matt. It's a short reunion though; the Vittra show up, kidnapping Wendy along with Rhys and Matt...
Published on November 16, 2010 by KristiS

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing love story, not enough character development
In this installment, Wendy starts falling for the enemy since Finn is keeping away from her. It is still a fairly simple story, without much emotional description which leaves the characters flat. Really, if Amanda Hocking would develop the characters by describing what they are feeling and what conflicting emotions they are dealing with that is making them act in such...
Published on February 15, 2011 by The Book Runner

‹ Previous | 1 2 336 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Love It, But...., January 3, 2011
I absolutely loved the idea of this book. I loved that this wasn't yet another book about fairies or werewolves or vampires, with the same basic characters in the same type of jobs over and over again. The one thing that completely threw me and distracted me from the story was the immense amount of grammatical errors. It wasn't just misspelled words but words that were out of sequence causing you to re-read it in order to understand what the author was saying. I'm not normally super anal about these things but when there are so many of them it throws you from the story and you lose the magic of it. That is definitely NOT something you want. While just as enthralling as the first there are just as many errors. I will probably finish the series but I doubt I will pick up her other books due to the heavy amount of errors.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick easy read, but typos are distracting!, July 3, 2011
In every book of Amanda's I've read so far there have been simple typographical errors that should have been corrected before the book was available for kindle use. There are missing words, or letters in words that make you have to re read the sentence over to understand. Petty. But distracting.

Other than that the books are really easy reads and a fun little escape for a few hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars I read the third book, so not THAT bad..., March 10, 2011
Cons:
-Wendy is still not a well developed character. Her and Finn's dynamic was horrific... I almost wanted one of them to die so I didn't have to deal with it anymore. And sadly despite Wendy being the main character, I wish it was her.

- It should not have been a trilogy... maybe 2 books. This could have easily split in two and put parts on Switched and Ascend.

-Whoever published this was drunk... many spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes

Pros:
Loki... I think he's adorable... and finally "meeting" Tove. Adore them both

It kept my interest and I read the third... so not too bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Proofreading is key to writing any book!, March 2, 2011
I absolutely love Amanda Hocking. I am an avid Kindle
user. However, the misspelled words, some words added
and not put in at all is the most annoying thing I have
ever experienced in reading these books. Evidently there
was a very incompetent proofreader or not one at all..
Very Annoyed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very weak soap opera style sequel, February 3, 2011
This book takes all the wonderful promise of a hidden race of magical trolls living in modern day USA from the first book and throws it away for soap opera style love triangles and love interests.
Wendy, the new princess of a whole subculture of trolls learns she has super powers, maybe more super than any other troll but all she thinks about is her bodyguards' bodies. After, a few tricks the author gives up explaining any more about this. Wendy also does not ask obvious questions about these new powers or try them out much if at all. Instead we get repetitious conversations covering boring topics and girlie talk. I hardly made it through this book and gave up on the inane chatter of the third. Situations keep on repeating and plot threads never get explored. I think large chunks could be removed without losing the story. Basically, it needs editing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could have been, January 23, 2011
I didn't much enjoy the first, but I thought I would give this one a try. There were elements that were interesting and elements that were so predictable that I rolled my eyes. Amanda Hocking has a fertile imagination and potential to be an amazing author, but is still a diamond in the rough. This is one series I will not be finishing, but hopefully her other books are more polished and evolved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Feisty ;), January 10, 2011
I'm really enjoying this series. Although I feel like there are just too many questions that are repeated and answered way too much. It gets exhausting after awhile, reading the same thing over and over. And there are also a lot of grammer mistakes. Although I really do love the story line, it just seems to drag on a bit too much. I like my books clearly explained once, and to the point. I feel bad for Wendy and Finn though, they just seemed to have way too many fights in this book and each had the same outcome. Except for the last one, which was finally progress. lol Anyway. I like these books; they're a fun read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, January 10, 2011
Torn is a great sequel, and I began reading it on the same night that I began and finished the first book in her series, Switched. Notably, this is a self published book, and does lack a little polish and some deep editing. Regardless, this is a book worth your time and money.
Torn dutifully delivers the next phase of Wendy's story with a lot of new information and adventures. A few new characters make grand entrances in this book, and really add to the story line. I would have liked a little more character development, and hope to see this in Ascend. As many readers have reported this is a highly addictive series, so before you begin Torn, clear your schedule, get cozy, grab a warm drink and get reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Torn, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Torn (Trylle Trilogy Book 2) (Paperback)
Well well well.... one beautifully written book. Scratch that, its PERFECT! It's only book two, but omg one of the bests! Most books after the first one just talk until it finally picks up from book two. Now Torn went on like Switched never ended.

We are in Wendy's home again and is just explains to Matt how Rhys is his actual brother. Matt of course is as lost as any Manks could be. So its time to just sleep it off. Though night one at home didn't work out to well. Mainly for the fact that Wendy didn't even get to sleep in her bed! Finn jumps through her window and tries to get her to go home. Wendy won't go and so Finn just waits for her new tracker to come. Once he arrives, he isn't very good at getting Wendy to leave either. To make her night even more annoying, the Vittra show up and take Wendy, Matt and Rhys to their castle.
......
So now Wendy is out of the cell and taken to Sara, King Oren's wife. The king isn't to bad, he just casually talks to Wendy. Explaining that eventually Wendy will have to pick which Kingdom to rule. Confused? Well dont be, Oren is just Wendy's dad, you know, no biggie. When you read about him explaining about Wendy's mother and his experience with him, you will just see Elora as a BITCH. At least I found her to be one, though I couldn't like her much in book one. So if you do like Elora, you might question that once you read this book.
......
So I'm just going to skip into the book more, so that I can give you all more detail of the book. Plus it'll help with me ranting on about one part of the book and ignoring the rest. Some how I've been doing that and forget to tell you all more about the book.
....
Now back into the story. So after Finn and some boys show up at the palace, Wendy and the boys all escape. Well they just walked through the front door. So maybe escape isn't the right word, but it fits. Since they weren't technically supposed to leave...anywho they all head back the Elora's palace. Matt and Rhys go to their rooms and Wendy storms to Elora's room. Boy is she mad! Wensy yells so much and Elora is just so UGHHHHHHHHHHH! I can't exactly swear the way I want...Never know what age is reading this. But UGH you will be flipping out. Torn is unbelievably perfect! You will put yourself in this book and fight/yell along with these characters!

What made me laugh in this book, was Wendy, Rhys and Matt are in the kitchen getting food. Willa comes into the room and things get entertaining. So she is rich and thinks that the world is at her command. Well newsflash miss snob, the world isn't yours. She doesn't like Matt, hates when Wendy calls him her brother, and no one is serving her. You want a water? You know where the fridge is. Ha! Love when a snob gets out in her place! I can't really stand Willa when she gets in that whole snob side of her. Then when she acts normal, she is easy to deal with. Though what's funny is that she and Matt hang out...a little more than you'd think. Hm...interesting.
........
Jumping closer to them end. Wendy finds out the way Finn and all trackers live. She doesn't like the way they live. They deserve better. Finn acts all harsh at Wendy, its all a job to him. Loki got into the palace and Wendy must find out why he's there. When she talks to him, she isn't sure what to think, though she does fight for keeping him alive.

The ending of the book is so damn good! Wendy is such a strong character. Love love love, strong female characters. Makes me happy, plus I'm finding a lot of books having more strong female characters. Male characters are still out there, but happy to see that the girls are taking over (: I'm so glad I bough the last two books the same day, because I'm going to dive in that book right now! I'll be giving this book 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy this series, July 14, 2013
I am really enjoying Amanda Hocking's work. I found her books by chance on Barnes' NOOKbook deals page and I'm really glad that I did.

This series is about an unusual paranormal element: trolls. Not trolls with fluffy pink hair and jewels in their bellies like the dolls that used to creep me out, but human-appearing creatures who wield powerful earth magic. They prefer to call themselves Trylle and are not the hobgoblin-like trolls who live under bridges--the image that comes to mind when I hear the word troll.

Wendy is a Trylle princess, and leaves her brother and aunt to live with the Trylle. She's in love with Finn, a Trylle tracker, but can't be with him due to her responsibilities as a Trylle royal. Book one, Switched, set things up and introduced us to many characters. Torn had more action and more intrigue, and we got to know everyone better. I started to like Wendy in this book and I was torn right along with her between love and duty.

I would recommend the Trylle trilogy for fans of paranormal YA. I'm enjoying it much more than many popular YA reads.

Just One Gripe:
Some of the characters used dialogue that seemed inappropriate to their social position. For example, Elora used the word "ammo" in a conversation with Wendy.

The Best Thing About This Book:
I love a good love triangle as well as impossible love, and the Trylle trilogy has both: a heroine who is in love with someone she can't have and another guy waiting in the wings who loves her too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 336 | Next ›

Torn (Trylle Trilogy Book 2)
Torn (Trylle Trilogy Book 2) by Amanda Hocking (Paperback - February 28, 2012)
$8.99 $8.09