5.0 out of 5 stars LBT has done it again!
Published on September 11, 2012 by K. Stuckey

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Love It - Don't Hate It !
Published 22 months ago by Laura A. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars LBT has done it again!, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
I have been excited for this CD since Pontoon hit the radio and moreso since hearing some of the songs live this summer. Self Made should be the band's mantra, it is about the rewards you reap when you work hard and don't get anything handed to you. On Fire Tonight, Pavement Ends, and Front Porch Thang are all upbeat tunes that I was singing alomg with in no time. Kimberly's voice on Sober is so sweet and haunting, it is one of my favorite songs! Tornado, co-penned by Natalie Hemby, is a great woman scorned song! The duet of your Side of the Bed is amazing as well. LBT is a F5 force on this record, it was worth the wait!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hit It Outta the Park, September 12, 2012
Misterwizard1 "misterwizard1" (Lakeland, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
These kids have been gettin' better and better with each record. This one sounds like they paid attention to Lindsey Buckingham when they did the CMT Crossroads together. The attention to detail and creativity is over the top. From beginning to end, this record drips class, talent and truth. No hype or trash here. Every song with a message, and some real zingers for your heart. Years of work to pull off a record like this, and it sounds it. Country rock soul, it all flows outta this one. Great records like this don't come around very often. Hats off to Little Big Town, They've dropped a beauty on us. Many thanks to them for Keeping On. Enjoy !!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Love It - Don't Hate It !, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
Gotta tell ya, I was one of the people looking forward to this album coming out...Gotta say, I was a little disappointed...I constantly find myself pulling "Tornado" out and putting "TRWhy" back in...First - I love LBT...My gripe is apparantly the same gripe several people have, about it being overproduced...I find it "really" hard to hear the voices over the instruments...It's almost like they recorded the band (LBT) in a box? If this is your first time buying a LBT CD I suggest you start with "The Reason Why"..."WHY"?...Because when LBT does it right; they are "grab your jammies, curl up on a lawn chair in front of a bonfire, OMG!" great! When they're left to their own defenses...OH YEAH! Next CD they need to produce their own CD again!

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Interestingly enough, a Tornado was all it took to get my attention., September 13, 2012
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
Are you in the mood for some good ol country music mixed with a modern funky vibe and sweet melodies? Then this album is definitely for you. I've glimpsed Little Big Town online one time too many and have even promised to check out their songs but never got around to doing so. Interestingly enough, a Tornado was all it took to get my attention. I rely heavily on first impressions; if I'm not intrigued from the very first listen, whether or not I played samples or the songs in full, I'll pass on doing a review. But after listening to the opening track I just had to dive into the rest.

Pavement Ends had me bumping my head, clapping my hands, and stomping my feet. The song's about reflecting (on their roots) on how carefree life is or was. Its upbeat sound and fierce singing compliments the raw lyrics. What I had no idea about is that the group alternates on lead vocals. And I think that the energetic nature of this track resounds even more with the strong male upfront. He makes life sound pretty wild and spontaneous on this one.

Aren't country musicians amazingly talented? They can write songs even about boats and make it sound so irresistibly sexy. Aside from the fact that I now want to go chill out on a Pontoon, I can't get over how fun and relaxing the song really is. Those melodious strings at start captured my attention before the track kicked off, and by the time Karen started singing in that laid back no cares in the world tone, I was completely drawn in. This is the Summer by the lake anthem powerful enough to have you thinking of bikinis and barbecues in Winter. It's even more wonderful that the music video depicted the song's message.

After that previous number I needed a few minutes to recover and get that energy going again. Sober may not be upbeat, but it certainly had me alerted. The track thrusted me into an emotional ocean; I was literally swimming in the heartfelt singing and far from generic lyrics. Kimberly, like most of us (if not all) doesn't ever want to leave the embrace of love. Its the realness of the song that makes it an exceptional potential of being a single. It has mesmerized one soul already.

Whoa! All four harmonize beautifully. Still, each has his/her own distinctive sound that shines without overshadowing the other. While the guys take lead on Front Porch Thing, the ladies are just as astounding on the hook. The bluesy track offers a gritty and raw feeling proven to be quite indescribable. Though, the boldness is restrained for a more softer tone in Your Side of the Bed. The lonely number is quite an example of a sad country ballad, but don't go comparing it to any other. This tearjerker is a undoubtedly a masterpiece in itself, sniffy nose, puffy eyes and heartache aside. The fact that its a duet made me grip my chest tighter.

The tempo is heightened but Leavin' In Your Eyes is indeniable a continuation of the previous. In this case, the relationship is done from one person's perspective, while the other hopes to rekindle the flame. The song features a male lead pouring his heart out, with the girls intensifying the anguish in the chorus.

I must say, Karen brings it on the title track. Tornado is all about taking a stand; rising up to the man's surprise. The fearsome beat is complimented by her confident fire, igniting on every note. And that dominant laugh echoing in the background is the highlight of this badass track. Tornado is my favorite on the album. I congratulate female empowerment wherever it is found.

On Fire Tonight is indeed hot. The girls dominated this track (with the guys adding edge here and there). This song takes entertainment to another level, inducing playful elements at every corner. Both ladies blend perfectly together on lead, if you aren't careful you might end up unable to decipher who is singing what part, but then again that's hardly the point when you're having a good time.

The sultry and soulful Can't Go Back is the vocal highlight of the entire album, portraying pure and passionate harmonizing and flawless singing from each member. Whether you fall in love with the truth of the lyrics or the acoustic sounds, its a song you have to agree has a life of its own.

The bluesy rock inspired Self Made gave off a live concert feel in the opening and throughout the track you can hear a story unfolding. This is a motivational song about relying on your own efforts to achieve your dreams. Its better to gain success from hard-work and determination, rather than selling your soul. I'm loving it.

The album wraps, not the way it started in an adrenaline, but on a more smoother and softer note. Night Owl is all about love; staying up waiting for the one you love to return. Their voices sway like calm waves and rushes into my heart when its called for. I wouldn't expect such a slow track to end things but I'm impressed nonetheless.

I enjoyed this album to a point where I'll now go digging for every song the band's ever released like a beyond devoted fan. Is it safe to say LBT is my new addiction? Well, regardless if I'm getting too excited, I'm glad I found them. My only beef with Tornado is that it went by so quickly. Never thought I would say such a thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, Bad Mastering, May 21, 2014
Dobenator (Georgetown, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of LBT for some time now. While I somewhat understand why record companies and producers squash music with brickwall compressors/limiters to make them sound louder, this goes far beyond any reasonable tweaking. This entire CD needs to be remastered and re-released! It is nothing but digital distortion and becomes almost nauseating to listen to on a high-end system. Probably why quite a few people here are complaining about the vocals getting buried. As a producer/engineer, I'd be walking the mastering engineer to the door! Good band, good music, very poor CD quality. I wish someone would design a processor that reversed the effect of brickwall compressors/limiters which completely destroy all dynamics in music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite, March 31, 2013
D. Bottom (Decatur, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
What a great addition to my music library. I just bought a pontoon boat. I will playing this CD every time I go out on the lake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Big Town rocks Country, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
This is their best album yet, so fun, so creative and energetic. I'm a Tornado!!! Love it, great job band!!

3.0 out of 5 stars ... a little dust devil ..., November 13, 2012
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
Tornado kicks off with a paint-by-numbers, kick-back-and-party-hearty chugger, "Pavement Ends." Next up is a paint-by-numbers kick-back-and-party-wet "Pontoon." It isn't `til four tracks in, on "Your Side of the Bed," that Little Big Town tackles anything of emotional substance (here, the creeping estrangement of a couple who apparently painted by the numbers a little too long). Next, the fetching "Leavin' in Your Eyes" is outstanding, with its layered call-and-response harmonies evoking Fleetwood Mac more than a little. But then it's back to coloring inside the lines. Where are the rousers such as "Runaway Train" and "Little White Church" that made 2010's The Reason Why such an alarm clock to the country-rock competition? Now that Gloriana's reduced to a trio, and Lady Antebellum has a lock on lots of mid-tempo murmurs, Little Big Town's four-part harmonies should be splashing accents all over the front porch. Instead, Tornado is just a little dust devil that only jiggles the paint cans, leaving nearly every stone unturned.

5.0 out of 5 stars I give it my highest recommendations!, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
My daughter introduced me to Little Big Town - I must admit that I don't listen to too much Country music, so they came as a real surprise. But, it sure was a pleasant surprise! LBT is four fresh-faced youngsters that have a great sound, a sound that highly reminds me of Fleetwood Mac at their best, but given a great Country shine.

I agree, I think that this is their best album yet. I really liked Pavement Ends and Tornado, and thought that Pontoon was absolutely awesome! But, heck, they are all excellent tunes. So, let me just say that if you are a fan of Country music, or just love that beautiful harmonizing that Fleetwood Mac did so well, then you will love this album. I give it my highest recommendations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd, March 4, 2013
This review is from: Tornado (Audio CD)
I happened to see the video for Pontoon on tv and was immediately hooked on this group. What beautiful voices on some fun and some emotional tracks.

Tornado
Tornado by Little Big Town (Vinyl - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies