Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on May 21, 2003
Note: this is a year later after my original review below. I am still very happy with my purchase. I will probably buy a separate dedicated "edger" since I go through so much line and effort using this in that way given our very hard ground. I am a 6'1", 200lb man and the overall weight is manageable and easily worth it. For a smaller person, putting up with the hassle of a cord might make sense depending on their size and strength. When using as an edger (hold in a different position than otherwise), the buttom configuration after a few minutes is not comfortable, so I would recommend improving this, but for small touch-up areas it does fine. I find as a consumer my requirements keep escalating, but the tradeoffs have definitely been worth it here. If I try a heavier line and that works, that would only leave the trigger in edger mode as a downside.
---------
I've been very happy with this cordless trimmer after using it for the first time today for 30 minutes. I needed a trimmer to cut the high tough weeds here in arid southwest Texas that my Scotts push reel lawn mower doesn't cut (I've also been very happy with that product purchased on Amazon) as well as to edge. My yard is not very large. From A to Z so far everything has lived up to my expectations. The free supersaving shipping was on time. The product was easy to assemble. The noise level is well within the comfortable range. I don't experience any particular vibration. The quality of the materials seems very sturdy. The weight and balance is very satisfactory, and there seems to be plenty of power for the average yard. An earlier reviewer mentioned a heavier duty line might be in order for edging. I only used the edger briefly, and it worked fine, but I haven't given that department a real workout yet. Also, I haven't used other trimmers before, so I looked on epinions.com for particular issues on trimmers in general. I'm happy this doesn't have the automatic line feed because from what I've read they can waste trimmer line and this gives me more cost control. The trimmer fed line fine with one bump on the ground. The only thing that keeps me from being more enthusiastic is the fact that I've only used it one time. If product durability is what I would expect, Toro as a company is to be commended for a job well done.
The only thing I would change - and this is a very minor consideration - is to make the light on the storage rack which shows the trimmer is recharging a little smaller. A small light would be perfectly fine to tell if it is recharging (red) or not (green).
on May 25, 2003
Considering the size, weight, and ease of use I really like this product. The problem: the line and spool is really light weight. The line breaks just cutting grass by itself. There is an adjustable line cutter 8" & 10". This measurement is misleading. If you extend the line and start the measurement at the end, then rotate the spool 180 degrees and measure to the end, you have 8 or 10 inches. It is actually about 4-5 inches long. The problem is the line breaks after about ten seconds; you then need to advance the line by tapping the spool. Well it does not work well. I have to stop and manually push the spool with my hand to advance the line. A real pain in the wazoo. When the line runs out I will try a thicker one to see if that works better.
on June 1, 2003
I really like this trimmer. The 24volt option was what really sold me on it. It is very powerful. The charge lasts a long time. I used it for 3 weeks straight without recharging it just to see how long a charge would last. And it didn't run out during that period. I have about a 10,000 square foot lawn and it does a nice job around the house, garage, trees, flower/shrub beds, and fence line. It has a metal guard which prevents you from chewing up the base of your trees or a wood fence, though you still have to be careful. I don't think you get a true 8-10 inch cutting path though, basically because of the metal guard. It does have a nice wall mount charger which I mounted in the corner of my garage out of the way. I will agree with other reviewers that the line does break more than other models I've used. I will also try a heavier line when the original runs out. The only improvement I would like to see would be a variable speed option. It would be nice to be able to ease into a "trim". Overall, I am very happy. I would recommend this unit. It is a nice trimmer for an average yard. ...
on May 25, 2003
I was really excited after reading all the reviews, so I decided to get one for myself. To be honest, I am a bit disappointed after my first use since it definitely was not designed with short person in mind. I am about 5'5" and it takes a lot of lifting to keep the trimmer above the grass. It was even harder when tried to use it as an edger. When using as an edger, the spool wire seems to wore out rather quickly and I keep have to switch back to the trimmer mode to tap it to extend the wire to continue.
on May 29, 2003
I like this trimmer, no gas and oil to mix, no extension cords, great for around house....however, wish it were lighter, and wish they would change the trigger, hand gets tired trying to hold it on. But I would recommend to anyone who hates the trouble of starting a gas one, and is tried of dragging an extension cord!
on May 20, 2003
This is my first trimmer. But, its great. Incredible power, very solid feel, and quiet (which my neigbors appreciate).
As the other reviewed noted, it IS fairly heavy, but not uncomfortably heavy. I just attached the included shoulder strap, so that may help. But, the extra weight is due to the fact it contains a 24 volt battery - which means - after an hour of trimming, this thing is still buzzing.
The wall mount holder/charger is great! Nice touch.
on June 15, 2008
I've had my trimmer now for three years and love it. I made the mistake of keeping it stored all year on the wall mount...which is also the charging unit. The manual tells you NOT to do this. My battery now barely holds a charge, so it will need to be replaced. I searched the internet and discovered it will cost me about $75 plus shipping to get one (the manual tells you to get a dealer to install it, which would be an additional cost). I think I paid about $120 for the trimmer, so that makes it a tough call. Overall it has been a reliable, convenient and useful tool.

The edger feature took a while to get used to, but the metal guard works as a guide for this application. Just set it into the edge and run it along the line you're cutting. Works great once you establish the edge a few times. I also went to a heavier line which seemed to keep it from breaking as often.
on May 21, 2003
I was looking for a simple to use trimmer/edger that was capable of doing some heavy duty work. Too much to ask for? No--Toro seems to have come up with the answer. The Toro 24-Volt Cordless Trimmer seems to handle every task I have put it to so far which includes edging Zoysia grass. In addition it went together easily and charges quickly (after the initial charge) and you don't need tools to open the string spool. The only complaint I have is that it is fairly heavy and as a woman I found it a little awkward and tiring for my forearms. But I just pace myself and it's a small price to pay for not mixing fuel or untangling extension cords.
on June 30, 2003
Pro.
1) Electric, no stinkin gas spell to deal with.
2) Trim very nicely.
3) Batt. life is long enough.
Con.
1) Heavy. What a work out.
2) Line is too weak and thin. Neight I have strong grass but something eats the line. Like 10min or so of cut, I have to extend the line again.
3) Not good for tall ppl. Since the length is fixed, tall people have to bend a little.
4) Safety trigger is a little too hard. Have to constently pressing hard on the trigger to keep it going.
Over all I rate this a "B".
on July 21, 2008
The product advertised was a battery powered weed wacker. What arrived was a kid's shirt. Bad error on Amazon's part.