5.0 out of 5 stars A beast of a trimmer!
Published on July 15, 2012 by D. P. York

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for this level, better than OK.
This trimmer is a fine basic tool. It is a good value.

First off I will describe it's shortcomings. It leaves the trimmed branches (shoots) a bit ragged which browns when dried. Whether underpowered, under sharpened or misaligned I don't know but I just thought I'd mention what it is not - a fantastic top of the line tool.

That being said it is...
Published 12 months ago by Beethoven

5.0 out of 5 stars A beast of a trimmer!, July 15, 2012
D. P. York (Woodinville, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toro 51480 Corded 14-Inch Electric Trimmer/Edger (Lawn & Patio)
OK, I'll be honest. I'm a Prime member and I set out to overpower this thing, diving into deep weeds, blackberry vines, around railroad ties, stone, and even into the ground. I figured if I could get the big weed eating job done and manage to break it within the first month, I could get a refund. Basically I mowed the rear yard with it. It shrugged it all off, never bogged down and then I took it around the property line for more punishment. I only ended up punishing myself, as this Toro convinced me that the only reason to get a gas trimmer is if you are beyond the limits of an extension cord. I used the blue 12-gauge 100' extension cored by US Wire (also available here at AMZN. The only thing to remember is, with electric trimmers the weight is at the far end above the trimming line, whereas with a gas trimmer the weight is at the opposite end from the trimmer line, so when buying an electric trimmer do yourself a favor and get some sort of sling harness; I bought a no-frills one here at AMZN for around 10 bucks (Arnold UTS-1 Universal String Trimmer Strap) and it worked great. I've now used this trimmer 4 times in the past six weeks and have gone through 2 reels of line; this trimmer just laughs at whatever you throw at it, it's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome Change, June 16, 2012
Not many reviews to go by as this is a newer unit that has only been out for a short period of time. Purchased because of reasonable price, specs of unit, built-in wheel edger, the Toro name and a change from the hassle and frustration of gas trimmers.

The unit seems to be rugged and well constructed. Assembly of the handle and safety guard was easy and straight forward. The shaft is easily adjustable to various heights as is the adjustable handle. Motor feels powerful and had no problem trimming tall grass and whacking through some thick weeds. Although I've yet to try the edger, conversion is very simple with a touch and twist mechanism. The built-in wheel seems to be a positive addition as you don't have to endure the weight of the unit while edging. Cannot comment on the auto line feed as I finished the job without having to feed and use any additional line.

Although lugging a cord around is not something I prefer, it feels great to hit the switch and have the unit instantly turn on. I no longer have to deal with the gas and oil mixture and the hope that my gas trimmer will start and run. Although I will keep the gas trimmer around, I now have piece of mind with this great electric trimmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, May 13, 2012
Great product.

Feels very sturdy and rugged.

Auto feed line. To advance line when running trimmer let go of the trigger for two seconds and hit trigger again. This is kind of a "manual" way of advancing it.

Great for edging. had my doubts, did excellent job.

Neighbor was impressed, says he is going out to buy one himself.

Put some cooking spray or wipe with new or old oil on guard and head to make it easy to wipe grass clippings from it.

Another great Toro product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Can handle almost any job, November 6, 2012
This Product is very light, and well balanced, which makes using it effortless, it has enough horsepower to handle most any job, I've done couple of trees with no problems with power, it cut everything easily, of course its new and the cutting blades are new, I had to also lift it over my head to cut under the trees to clear everyones heads and it was very easy to do that since its so balanced and light, also since it has more power than the competitors It cut the branches in one swipe, so that I didn't have to go over and over again, which would make me very tired. I guess the most important positive of this product is the Power/Weight Ratio. This was a good purchase, Of course only time will tell whether this is a good product, after maybe a couple of years, For now I'm happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Trimmer, July 28, 2012
I had a Craftsman 4 amp trimmer, with a bump-and-feed line system, for many years and it finally died. I couldn't believe my research yielded few good options for a corded trimmer. I selected the Toro trimmer and the 5 amp motor made a MAJOR difference in trimming power. The trimmer is a little on the heavy side, but if you spend some time adjusting the balance point then it's not bad. I prefer the bump-and-feed line system since you control the line feed. The Toro has a power-off-power-on line feed so if you release the trigger multiple times during a trimming event you'll waste line. Normally I have no problem holding the ON trigger for the entire trimming event, but the trigger does provide some resistance and my grip, which is normally pretty strong, gets weak after about 15 minutes. So, I have to let go of the trigger - otherwise I'd give this trimmer 5 stars. Bottom Line: If you have a pretty strong grip, and can hold the trigger in the ON position for the duration of your trimming event, then I highly recommend this trimmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, July 4, 2012
I received this earlier today and used it for more than an hour. This is my 4th trimmer in 15+ years and I went from a Electric to Gas and back to Electric trimmer. I couldnt stand gas unit as it was always hard to start. I was going to buy a Tanaka/Hitachi gas trimmer as its rated high but I got concerned because of faulty pipes which cant seem to take cold weather and are cracking for almost every user. I was looking for two things:
- Easy way to advance the string
- Easy start

I passed on battery operated trimmer(20 - 24V) because of possible charge holding issue and battery life. I noticed that almost all Toro battery operated units have good reviews. I went to Toro site and found that this unit has the same string advance feature as the battery operated ones. Reviews for battery operated unit didnt mention many problems with string advancing feature. I was fine carrying the electric wire as long as advancing the string was smooth. This trimmer after an hour of use does meet this requirement. String is 0.065 thick and is dual line. Its effective and it advances 1/4 inch with each start/restart thru the trigger. In an hour+ of operating it, I only lost one of the strings only once when it broke around a thick bush. This was not unexpected and I can live with it. I will be replacing the string myself and it didnt look complicated. There are two independent rolls in the spindle head which makes it easier to wind. My current gas trimmer has one roll servicing both lines and lines get intertwined. This is less likely with this unit.

Cons for the unit are the cheap plastic parts, however you shouldnt expect to get solid quality for this price. Having said that, the unit does its job and motor wasnt hot for me after good use. I used the edging portion as well and it takes a while if you are edging the first time as lot needs to be removed. I gave up as I have a gas edger with my tiller. Some people may not like edging feature but it will do its job. I will use gas edger initially and then use this unit to maintain it. String goes deeper than the gas edger that I have and it looks cleaner.

I gave it 4 stars mainly because I have had it only for a day and I cant comment on its longevity and the possible quality of the parts in the unit. Overall I would recommend this unit to others.

July 15, 2013 update: I have used it few times this year and the trimmer has been working well. I am very satisfied with it. I specially like the string advancing mechanism. I upgraded the rating to 5 stars (from 4).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for this level, better than OK., July 20, 2013
Beethoven (Dobbs Ferry, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This trimmer is a fine basic tool. It is a good value.

That being said it is far superior in performance to the 2-1/2 amp 18" B&D tool I replaced (about half the price of the Toro). The extra power and reach make it a pleasure to use, balance and control are fine. Did a real nice job on my boxwoods and hews; I pushed the envelope on some larger stock - the Toro cut through whatever fit in the teeth but did not leave a neat cut when challanged.

Bottom line I was interested in replacing my very basic B&D (handle broke off after many years of service) with something stronger at a moderate price level - I feel I did well and am satisfied with my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets the job done with the right string, May 7, 2013
I needed to clear a large area around a building for file prevention. I had a gas trimmer in the past, but I don't use it frequently and the maintenance is a pain. I only need it a few times a year, so a battery unit is a bit of a waste as even sitting on the charger, batteries have a limited life span.
A plug in trimmer seems to be the best option. This Toro 51480 is priced low and I was not expecting much, but the build quality is very good. The motor is very powerful. It has no problem beating even heavy grass and plants. Not quite on par with a full size gas unit, but very close. And I don't have to wear ear protection.

The auto feed is a bit of a problem. On other trimmers, you smack it on the ground to let out extra string. This Toro, it lets out string every time you start it from full stop. The string that comes with it is very poor and wears out quickly. If you hit a rock, the string is almost gone before you let off the trigger. To spool out about 2 inches of string, you have to stop and start it about 5 times. It's really annoying and it gets worse in heavy brush.

I also picked up "Cyclone .065-Inch-by-300-Foot Spool Commercial Grade 6-Blade 1/2-Pound Grass Trimmer Line, Blue CY065D1/2-12" on Amazon. This string is wonderful. It cuts better, and last far longer. I am no longer stopping and starting the Toro every 5 seconds to advance the string in heavy brush. Toss the string the Toro comes with in the trash and use this.

The combination of this Toro and the Cyclone string make this an awesome tool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad quality control, April 2, 2013
Picked up a new trimmer based on the high reviews here on Amazon. Assembled it, plugged it in, and within 5 seconds it was dead for good.

If you look at the other reviews here, you'll notice quite a few other people mentioning the exact same problem. From what I can tell, there's a manufacturing or quality control defect with these units and a percentage of them are dead on arrival.

Thinking about replacing it rather than getting a full refund, but I have a suspicion the issue will reoccur at a later date. If they can't get them to work out of the box, chances are there will be a high percentage of problems in a year or two.

Save your money and look at another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very well constructed at this price point - but it DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY, May 12, 2012
Cadillakin (Central Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
I just used it for some minimal work just to see how it handles.. Cut's very well.. I tried it on some tough ivy. It's a little heavy but the adjustable length and handle mitigate that.. by helping us balance and adjust it to our own height and strength. The build quality is very good.. My Toro tools have all been good and lasted long. I expect the same from this item.

1 Year Update; The auto feed mechanism is a gigantic pain in the a$$. It simply doesn't work as it should. As one other reviewer said, "Give this trimmer to somebody you hate".

I don't hate anybody that much so out it goes.. into the trash. I kept my 10 year old weed whacker.. I'm rehabilitating it now..

Toro 51480 Corded 14-Inch Electric Trimmer/Edger
$79.99 $61.37
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies