Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Size: 24V String|Change

UPDATE:

I purchased this item for my neighbor who has been very happy with it. However, he told me he could not quite do both his front and back yard without having to charge the battery. This made no sense to me since I could do both the front and back of my yard twice before needing to recharge. True, his yard is slightly larger, but not that much larger!

We started comparing batteries and found that his is a 44.4 Watt hour battery and mine is a 88.8 watt hour battery! Mystery solved! While this new version is about the same price as the old version, they cut the battery size in half without lowering the price! You can purchase a larger battery for this (Toro 88504) but it is almost as much as the entire trimmer!

For the above reason, I have lowered the rating to a 4 star from a 5 star. While still a great trimmer, cutting the battery in half without stating that they did this seems wrong to me. Sort of like changing the size of food containers (smaller) and charging the same price while telling everyone that the price has not changed!!!

So, please be aware of this change in the product!!!!

*************************************

I ordered the predecessor to this model two years ago and it is still running strong and the battery pack still holds a VERY long charge!! If there were any negatives to this trimmer it would be that wet grass clumps around it. Big deal, let it dry and brush it away!

So, you are probably wondering why I would order a second one if I like my first one so much? To repay a neighbor for taking care of our lawn for us while I had surgery. Since the neighbor would not accept payment, I ordered this trimmer for him! He is thrilled with it and within 1 hour of giving it to him, he had it assembled and was borrowing the battery from mine so he could go out and use it!

He also loved the ease with which you can move from string trimmer to edger! The only learning curve on the unit is that every time you start up the unit, it will adjust your trim line. So, DO NOT make hundreds of stops and starts unless you want to use a lot of line. That being said, everything works like it should. The mount is easy and convenient, The charger is quick and easy. The battery lasts!!!!!!!! Could not make any of those statements with any of the other equipment makers that I have tried over the years.

I would definitely recommend this trimmer for anyone with an average area to edge or trim. I would NOT recommend it for cutting fields of blackberries!!!
66 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2013
After reading a multitude of reviews on both gas and battery operated string trimmers, I opted to go for the Toro 51487. I have never owned a gas string trimmer myself, but with the proliferation of ethanol in fuel and my lack of mechanical sense, I decided not to deal with rotting fuel lines and dirty carburetors.

This string trimmer has a surprisingly good amount of power behind it. It easily lasts around 40 - 60 minutes, depending on usage. On my .25 acre corner lot, I can complete all the random trimming around the house and edge almost all of the sidewalk on one charge; only the outer edge facing the street cannot be finished before the battery dies. The battery level indicator is present again on the 51487, I assume its the same battery as the one provided with the 51486. I do enjoy the pivoting head, in particular as it helps a lot with user fatigue if you have a lot of edging to take care of.

Construction wise, I have to agree with some of the other viewers, it does seem somewhat flimsy. The shaft is a medium weight aluminum but the majority of the rest is hard plastic. The parts I am mainly concerned about are the plastic wheel used for edging (optional) and the plastic button/switch that allows the head to pivot. Just make sure everything is tightened down and it should feel fairly solid.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the product. I certainly enjoy how light the unit is and the lack of exhaust fumes, only time will tell about the longevity of the product (but the 7 year retail consumer warranty is confidence inspiring).
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2013
The trimmer works fine, has plenty of power and is light enough to use comfortably. I can live with it.

My only complaint is that its construction is no more rugged or substantial than a cheaper cordless Black & Decker trimmer. I was expecting a more well-built trimmer. But guess this is the best one can get for $150 with a LiIon battery?

Specifically -- the motor base assembly does not lock tightly and rotates on the pole's bottom by several degrees in either directions. The blue button used to twist this motor assembly between trimmer & edger positions does not lock it firmly in place.

Also the upper & lower poles do not firmly lock into place when assembled. So there is some 'wiggle' in the pole which is rather annoying. How hard could it be to construct two poles which lock tightly together in place?

I understand last year's model #51486 had telescoping poles, a feature which was eliminated on this 2013's #51487 model to save weight. Toro did a poor job on the new pole connector, maybe I should have purchased the #51486 instead?

So, the assembled unit seems kinda flimsy. Not what I expected from Toro. Oh, the documentation is minimal. Seems like a high school student prepared it. It even has a confusing typo.
77 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 27, 2012
Size: 24V Hedge|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my favorite of all my electric hedge trimmers. I have had several in the past - 2 cordless, and 2 with cords. I strongly favor the cordless since I have a tendency to cut into the cords.

Here's what I really like about the Toro 51496 Cordless Hedge Trimmer:

1. It's light in weight. I am female and can easily lift, carry and use this trimmer even over my head.

2. It cuts nicely. It cut down our overgrown hedges like a hot knife through butter. Even cut stems that were up to 1/4 inch in diameter.

3. The safety switch that must be constantly held is very easy on the thumb. On my other cordless, I had to push the safety switch which really tired my entire hand. On this hedge trimmer, the safety switch is PULLED back which really saves wear and tear on your thumb.

4. The battery only took about an hour to charge. I don't yet know how long it will hold a charge but I did get 4 BIG bushes trimmed down to size before it started raining.

5. It has a swivel mechanism. With the push of a button the cutting apparatus will swivel so that you don't necessarily have to turn the entire hedge trimmer on it's side to cut down the side of a bush or shrub. I still have to get used to that feature, but I think it's a good one.

There's really nothing I can find to complain about concerning this hedge trimmer. It cuts well, is easy to use, and charges quickly. Nice little machine!

UPDATE: April 29, 2012

I took the Toro 51496 Cordless Hedge Trimmer over to my mother's house and cut back all of her bushes and hedges. I really like the swivel feature because by pressing the blue button, the motor and cutting blade will rotate together either to the left or right 90 degrees and lock in. I was able to cut the sides of the bushes while still holding the handle of the trimmer in the upright position. It really made cutting the sides of the bushes and hedges much easier.
I use this mostly to dry my car after washing it. Using an electric leaf blower is really the best way to dry a car without leaving any water spot, nor risking scratching the paint with dust that may be on a towel. Just be careful not to hit the car with the blower. Also, never use a gas powered one for drying a car, as the exhaust fumes can land on the car and this can hurt/damage your paint.

The Toro is quiet as leaf blowers go; it just sounds like a really loud hair dryer. It's also fairly light and seems to have an ergonomic yet sturdy feel. This goes for the battery charger as well.

I wish this came with the high capacity battery however, so I'm knocking one star off for that. The battery that it comes with is a lower capacity one that doesn't give you that much time. I ended up purchasing the high capacity battery separately, but it was nearly $90.!

I also use this to blow off my patio and parking area, and it works well.

This seems like one of the best leaf blowers to get, if you need a cordless one. If you do not need cordless, you can save a lot of money and get one that you plug in.
on June 12, 2013
I have been using an electric blower for the past years. Loved the blower, hated dealing with the long extension cord.

Here is what i found with the Toro 51702.

Loved that I am now untethered from the cord.

The top wind speed of the Toro is not as strong as the corded model, but gets the job done. grass and leaves..

For me, a great trade off.
on May 5, 2012
Size: 24V Hedge|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First, when you get this trimmer you notice how big it is. It is huge. I didn't release how long the 24" blade would be. However, that is what makes this trimmer great. I have little bushes in front of my house and the length of the blade made it easy to get nice smooth edges and cuts on the bushes in one swoop.

The swivel blade is also a great feature. It makes getting at different parts of the bush easier.

However, the best part is the cordless feature. No cord to get in the way. Plus, it is a removable battery which is even better. No need to keep this big trimmer plugged in and out where a child could get to it. Just keep the battery charged.

The battery itself drained about 25% in the first 45-60 miniutes of use.

While the battery and recharge feature is great it does not have the power of a corded trimmer. This makes it quieter, but it also cannot cut certain branches quickly or sat all.

Overall, this is great and i love it- even with the few issues mentioned.
on June 29, 2015
My problem is with the ambiguity of the product description...it's inaccurate and misleading. Copied from the description: "Toro's powerful, extended-life, 24-volt max*" and the fact that the product is pictured showing the extended battery leads one to believe that the product ships with the extended battery but in fact does notm it ships with the standard battery. The product detail says: "Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)".... so what EXACTLY you get can not accurately be determined.
review image
on June 29, 2012
I also have the 24Vmax Toro Line Trimmer, so this one can share the bigger extended run-time battery from my 24Vmax Line Trimmer, but not vice versa per Toro's recommendations. When pushed hard, such as trimming back six inches of highly overgrown junipers where I encountered very dense old growth (I probably should have used loppers instead), I noticed that some of the cuts were splintered and not very clean, which required touch-up with a hand pruner. The Toro stalled a few times when the growth was just too dense (i remember the corded Hedgehog doing the same thing with similar dense overgrowth). 1/2" branches are no problem when encountered in normal grooming / weekly maintenance-- power is similar to my corded B&D hedgehog HH2450, but the rotating handle is much more confortable when trimming the sides of hedges.

Dual-action (two blades moving in opposite directions simultaneously) means less vibration than single-action models.

My biggest complaint is that the design has a large protrution on the bottom below the second handle (about a 2-inch offset), so the blade cannot sit pefectly flush and parallel to the plants while cutting-- tip has to be angling into the plant a bit, making large smooth cuts on very tall or very deep hedges more difficult. My first B&D corded unit before the current HedgeHog had only about 1/2" offset-- I miss that low-offset in this unit, but the cordless freedom is a definite plus.

Battery life, even with the smaller stock 2amp-hour (44.4 WH per label) is pretty good. For reference, the line trimmer includes the bigger extended run-time battery with 88.8WattHours (or 4 AmpHour) capacity. Remember to store lithium batteries in a cool, dry place (don't fridge them because of condensation issues) with ~50% charge (2 of 4 lights on fuel gauge) for longest life. I plan to test this unit with the extended battery soon under heavy overgrowth to see if there is any difference in performance other than extended run-time and increased weight... stay tuned in the next few weeks.

I hope Toro releases a campanion 24V cordless sweeper (blower) as well (in which case I'll want an extra extended-run battery or two since most blowers draw a lot of juice).

I'd rate this unit 4 or 5 stars if it weren't for the large bump / offset on the bottom of the unit relative to the cutting plane.
on June 1, 2013
I charged the battery and took it out for the first time today and did everything I needed it for. The battery went for 40 minutes which is enough for today but will get a second battery for it. It was quiet, light compared to the gas one I have and did a very good job at trimming around everything. Highly recommend