5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!
These are the best rum cakes out there. I just returned from the Bahamas and brought several different brands of cakes back. These were by far the BEST so I ordered more on-line. LOVE LOVE LOVE these rum cakes.
Published on February 2, 2007 by LeClaire

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Cake With A Lot That's Fake!
Published on October 21, 2012 by Consumer Doc

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Cake With A Lot That's Fake!, October 21, 2012
This review is from: Tortuga Original Caribbean Rum Cake, 16-Ounce Cake (Grocery)
I am a rum cake aficionado and have tried many. Of course, the best are those you make yourself from scratch with love and lots of good rum. I gave Tortuga 3 stars because it seems to be a popular rum cake standard that consistently tastes good in comparison to similar commercial quality products within this group. Tortuga cakes are actually produced in Barbados with the company headquartered in the Cayman Islands and I imagine that this affects the steep cost of these cakes. Here is my critique of the pros and cons based on multiple purchases:

PROS:

1. A moist cake with a clear rum presence.
2. Same brand is available in many popular flavors.
3. Contains Tortuga 5 year old aged Gold rum.
4. One of the most popular choices for rum cakes.

CONS:

1. Tortuga uses many artificial colors and preservatives-e.g. Yellow 5 & 6, sodium propionate, artifical flavors, sodium alginate, polysorbate 60, propylene glycol and aluminum sulfate. In my opinion, this compromises the taste and integrity of the product, making it less than "natural". The box reads..."A Taste of the Islands" but it should read..."A Taste of the Lab!"

2. The amount of true rum is negligible at best-less than 1/2 of 1%, which in a 1 lb. cake amounts to .0008 oz. Add your own rum more generously!

3. To a discerning palate, these rum cakes taste as they are made-artificial-similar to the smell of a can of Play Dough when we were kids! A first glance at the cake tells you that the fluorescent yellow color does not exist in nature. Be sure to wear your sunglasses as you cut a slice or you will be blinded by the intense radioactive glow.

4. Freshness/Expiration/Use By Date: Another enigma! Look for the white square sticker on the side of the box. They use a Julian code to identify the date of manufacture of the cake. For example, "12233" indicates that the cake was produced on the 233rd day of 2012 (August 20th, 2012). Better transparency for consumers would be helpful as would a clear "Use By" date. (Remember that it took decades for most US manufacturers to put easy to read expiration dates on their products. The Islands are about 30 years behind us.

BOTTOM LINE:

This is a 3.5 star product in my opinion. However, I have yet to discover a better tasting commercial rum cake. Make your own using a good recipe and great rum and pocket the savings. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!, February 2, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars yummy!!!!!, December 11, 2007
Moist and soft. Great rum cake. I been to their bakery in Key West and try out every flavor they offer. I love the classic, banana and key lime. Just enough rum but not over powering. You have to try it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Got to go all out, February 25, 2009
First slice I wasnt too impressed...what's up with all this hype?

Figured, I'll go with the recommendation as I had ice cream on hand... popped a slice in the microwave for 20 secs, added a few scoops of ice cream... and OMG it was like another cake!

You got to nuke it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cake but no date code on box to tell freshness, February 24, 2011
Great price from Amazon on the Tortuga rum cake since it's about half from the local liquor store. Since we had them before and loved them so we ordered 3 16oz cakes as gifts from Amazon. Two turned out to be moldy and the other was fine. The problem is there's no way to tell on the box when these things were made nor was there a "Best consume by date" anywhere so we have no idea how "fresh" or how old these things are. There is a small white label on the bottom with some 7 digit numbers but we have no idea what they stand for nor could we decipher their code. We contacted Amazon and they didn't know about the date code either. Should you buy them from Amazon, buy them for your own consumption and not as gifts so if they turn out to be bad, you can get an exchange or refund thus saving you embarassment from your relatives or friends who ended up with your moldy gifts. Or try to contact Amazon to find out when they were made before sending them off to your friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Might not b loaded with rum but its the best EVA, March 10, 2009
Sry for all the people whom thought this cake was going to be loaded with rum for them to be drunk off of but it isn't. Its to be enjoyed by people thats not of the legal age themselves also so there is little rum in it. With that said I am Jamaican myself and I bought this on a trip back up to the states and have been hooked ever since. I go back just to get this but something told me to try Amazon CAUSE AMAZON HAS EVERYTHING :) and I was delighted to know that its on here. I will be buying these things until I am sick of it and can't eat it anymore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tortuga Rum Cake, January 20, 2008
I had first tasted this cake at the store in Key West. In fact, I tried every flavor of the free samples they had available. For years, I have wanted to order one of these cakes, but the minimum order from the Tortuga catalogue was more than I wanted to deal with. Besides that, the shipping and handling was quite high. When I saw the cakes available through Amazon, I still thought they were pricey, but super-saver free shipping was available, so I ordered two cakes, one for my family and one for a friend. The cake did not dissapoint. It was delicious, moist and delicious, and the rum was not overpowering. By eating just a sliver at a time, my husband, son, and I made the 16oz cake last nearly a week. It was a nice holiday treat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good rum cake!, April 4, 2009
tsalyers531 (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
I love rum cake and usually make my own from scratch. I was a bit skeptical that this would actually be that good but figured I'd give it a try when I saw it in the Friday Sale one week. Much to my pleasant surprise, it is really good! The cake is very moist and the rum is not overpowering. It's also not overloaded with nuts -- just a light sprinkling on top is all. I'm giving this 4 out of 5 stars only because I think it's a bit pricey. However, I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys rum cake or has wanted to try one and is willing to pay a little more than average for it -- I think you'll like!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are in love with Rum, you will love this cake., January 6, 2007
Received this as a holiday gift, if you are in love with rum you should like this cake. It is nice and moist and has a pungent aroma of rum. It is made in the Cayman Islands. My dog was at first, slightly repelled by the smell but now it is following me around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow was that good, October 20, 2008
This was the best rum cake I've ever had. I wish I bought the 32 oz cake.

Tortuga Original Caribbean Rum Cake, 16-Ounce Cake