Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 111 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2011 2:59:15 PM PDT
TexasDeano says:
This tablet seems by far to be the best of the Honeycomb upcoming tablets. I like the rubber backing, and those that held it at CES said it felt solid. And I like all of the ports and the SD card slot.

I am wondering how good the initial cases will be. I have a first gen iPad and I like the cases that allow you to prop it up. I hope Toshiba has a case or backshell that allows that.

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 10:34:39 PM PDT
V. Ching says:
I've been looking at this tablet for a while now as well. I'm glad to finally see a product page! I'm also surprised to see it has a GPS included. I came back from watching the Notion Ink Adam's development, and after it didn't satisfy my expectations and needs, this tablet was the way to go!

I'm looking forward to:
- Seeing Battery Life details
- Colours of the backplate (if disappointing, classic black is fine)
- Pricing (seeing as the iPad2 will be the reference point, i think I'll be happy even if they match that pricepoint on different memory sizes)
- Memory Options (looking for 32GB for midrange price ($600) hopefully)

I can't wait for this thing! Why can't it release in April!!!

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 5:47:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2011 8:01:44 PM PDT
Keith Ho says:
The devil is in the details. I like to know the following:
1) Storage 16 GB or 32 GB?
2) Memory 512 MB or 1 GB?
3) Price: $599 like 32 GB XOOM and 32 GB Ipad2? Or $499 for 32 GB?
4) Battery Life: 10 hours like Ipad? May not matter that much if the battery is swappable.
5) Flash 10.2? Will there be a lag like the XOOM?
6) Delivery: If it's April, I'm buying. If it's June, I'm heading to get Ipad2.

Toshiba, prove to me you can earn my business.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 7:59:41 PM PDT
With all these thin,light and sleek tablets, I'm curious to know what it weighs. Look kinda bulky. I also wan to know if it's running stock honeycomb

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011 9:37:27 PM PDT
V. Ching says:
Well, as far as information goes, it will be stock honeycomb, with the exception of some controls for the screen (for Resolution Plus), it's own Market Place, and SRS drivers for sound. Toshiba mentioned in an interview that it will weigh slightly heavier than the iPad. But I don't see that as an issue because it's not THAT much heavier, and the non-slip backing means I'll mostly be using it on my lap or around my arm.

But honestly? How thin do you need it to be? Thin has become an impractical selling point much like megapixels in cameras has become. It doesn't need to be supersuper thin. Having a certain thickness can give you more grip to hold the tablet.

It wouldn't be that thin due to the removable rubber backing anyways. But that's a plus, because I don't have to worry about dents, stains, or scratches.

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 3:43:51 AM PDT
T. Wilson says:
I've been looking forward to the Toshiba tablet when I saw that the Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi tablet will be released on March 27 at $599 for the 32GB model. See:
MOTOROLA XOOM Android Tablet (10.1-Inch, 32GB, Wi-Fi)
Samsung is releasing their 10.1-inch tablet on June 8, the price being the same for the 32GB version - $599, and they have a 16GB model for $499. Their 8.9-inch cousin will be released later this summer for $569 and $469 respectively.
Weight-wise, the 10.1-inch models are:
Toshiba - 773 g
Motorola - 730 g
Samsung - 595 g
Apparently Samsung is selling their earlier 10.1-inch model in Europe only after Apple released the iPad 2, i.e. they came up with a thinner 10.1-inch model that beats the iPad 2 by 0.2 mm! So it is 8.6 mm for the Samsung versus 8.8 mm for the iPad 2.
I would have bought the iPad 2 if not for the fact that they updated iOS 4 onwards such that you can't plug in a USB flash drive (via an adapter) without jail-breaking the iPad 2. I like the idea of being able to plug in a USB flash drive to transfer documents, etc.
That brings me to the Toshiba, with USB and mini-USB ports. I think the Motorola and Samsung come with USB support via a mini-USB port.
So I'm going to be spoiled for choice!
For those interested in the specs, check out the following:
http://www.thetoshibatablet.com/
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Tablets/ci.MOTOROLA-XOOM-with-WiFi-US-EN.alt
http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 10:34:40 AM PDT
Geomancer says:
I'll get one provided it is less than $500 (well, less than $499).

Otherwise I'll stick with a netbook, or if I completely cave the iPad. The only advantage these things give me over my netbook is access to the Appstore.

I really hope it's less than $500.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 11:24:06 PM PDT
I was looking forward to this but heavier than the xoom will not work for me. I will wait for the samsung 10.1.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 11:28:31 PM PDT
V. Ching says:
Right now, the Toshiba Tablet is rumored to be $499 for the 32GB model. Frankly I'll take that.
It's $100 cheaper than all the other tablets at 32GB.
Based on the market, I've accepted that the trend is to have $500 for 16GB, $600 for 32GB, and $700 for 64GB.
I'm looking at other features for choosing one with the best value.
The Toshiba tablet has met my expectations and needs for a tablet, and, to me, holds the most value.
For it to come out $100 cheaper than the competition is very impressive.

I would not be disappointed if it were untrue, but I would be VERY impressed and VERY happy to buy this tablet's 32GB model for $499.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 10:23:23 AM PDT
T. Wilson says:
Me too, I'll definitely buy the Toshiba 32 GB tablet for $499 if the other specs are similar to the Xoom! The full-sized USB port is a huge plus.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 7:20:20 PM PDT
I think this tablet has great connectivity and has mostly upside. I dont mind the thickness so much only because really how thin can you get before it doesnt matter. But what concerns me, and is also about my only main concern is the weight. A tablet needs to be light. This is the computer that is supposed to be mobile and useful on the go. I'd also like to see the physical buttons scrapped so there can be a smaller black bezel and a rear camera flash. But overall despite my concern about the weight, this will most likely be the tablet I end up buying.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 11:52:24 AM PDT
What does memory capacity even matter at this point. With the SD slot and the new generation of cards the memory is expandable to up to 2 TB (that's terrabytes!). More than I hope to ever need, unless I'm missing something.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 12:34:16 PM PDT
TexasDeano says:
Has anyone heard anything about the release being delayed due to the troubles in Japan?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 12:41:24 PM PDT
V. Ching says:
@TexasDeano I heard that only applied to the Folio 100, and only in Australia. But i'm not totally sure.

@Jason Kenyon Really.. Which SD cards go up to terabytes? I haven't heard of any...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 12:56:10 PM PDT
Not out yet. It's up to 128 GB on the consumer market. However, SDXC has a theoretical maximum of 2 TB, so I'm sure it will be coming. Sorry for getting carried away.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 5:43:36 AM PDT
Daniel Burt says:
That is my concern also.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 10:55:19 AM PDT
TexasDeano says:
Word is just out that the Toshiba Tablet will be called the ANT will have a starting price of $449 for the 8GB model. The 16GB will be $499 and the 32GB will be $579. No word on released date or accessories. But Newegg.com has it listed now with a status of "Out of Stock".

Not sure I like the name.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 3:02:25 PM PDT
V. Ching says:
Well, all they know is the product code, and it says ANT-100 or something like that. There was word that it would be called the Antares since CES, so ANT could very well mean Antares.

Name aside, the prices are okay. I realize $499 for 32GB is asking for alot from corporations who play the market.
Xoom is $599, so $579 is "cheaper" i guess. I guess i can use that $20 to buy a bag or something.

JUST RELEASE THE THING ALREADY!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 3:11:26 PM PDT
TexasDeano says:
Yea, Antares is much better. And I'm with you, release it!!!

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 2:42:08 PM PDT
TexasDeano says:
Just read this in an article by Donald Melanson on Engadget...

"Could Toshiba's nameless Honeycomb tablet finally have a proper name? Thanks to a helpful tipster, we now have our clearest indication yet. Toshiba just filled a trademark application for the name "Thrive" last week and, as you can see above, it clearly describes the goods and services being trademarked as a tablet computer. What's more, it seems that the company's also gone on a bit of a domain name buying spree as of late, with it snapping up a number of "Thrive" variations including ToshibaThrive.com, ThriveTablet.com, ThriveToshiba.com and TabletThrive.com (none of which actually go anywhere just yet). Of course, this isn't the first possible moniker for the tablet that's cropped up. The name "Antares" surfaced way back at Mobile World Congress, which could account for the ANT model name we also spotted, although it certainly sounds more like a codename than "Thrive" does to our ears -- and, as far as we can tell, Toshiba hasn't attempted to register a trademark for Antares (or any other names recently, for that matter)."

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 11:53:10 AM PDT
V. Ching says:
WTF It WILL be released in June. Toshiba just announced it. LATE June. Ugh I was hoping (since CES) to have it by May for a trip to NY. Now I have to wait so long. So much for "Coming this Spring"... I haven't waited for something to release like this ever. This tablet better be worth it. It seems like the right one for me.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 3:33:15 PM PDT
fusionx6 says:
No one has mentioned that the Asus Transformer and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be releasing within the next few months as well. There should be plenty of competition in the tablet market this summer :^)

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 11:41:48 AM PDT
Regina Sharp says:
When I saw the video, my heart was racing! LOL I love my Kindle but would like color for magazines and fun apps, I was about to buy the nookcolor, but no way now. I want this one. I will be able to have the Kindle app on it, hopefully it just comes with it and then I can sync and read my Kindle by day and the tablet by night! yay :)

OMG! They are coming out with a pink one ! eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk.............finally a girly colored one. Hurry up Amazon, don't make us wait for the announcement too much longer! LOL

very satisfied customer, Gina

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 12:15:42 AM PDT
V. Ching says:
I was considering going with the Acer Iconia A500 because it's so similar. But Toshiba's extra features are really useful features. User replaceable battery, GPS (Acer is confusing with review models having GPS but product listings denying it), Full-sized SD Card slot, and replaceable rubberized casing. So, I'm deciding to wait. This tablet looks really well built.

However, I have to note that releasing it so late just makes it harder for it to shine. Lenovo is now coming up with a tablet that's expected to release in June as well. This tablet also looks good, and is geared towards corporate and business use. I would expect that tablet to have similar features (full-sized ports), but also having that trusty ThinkPad durability. I'll also be looking forward to comparing with this.

I think the Regza looks really durable too. The Rubberized casing will do wonders to absorbing impacts (as well as really being scratchproof).

It'll be an interesting competition.

Sidenote: I think the product name ANT-100/102/103/104 really just stands or ANdroid Tablet. lol.. Good ol' internet journalism. Seriously, as soon as that product code came up every tech blog and news source screamed "It's named ANT!!!!" LOL... c'mon really? It's a product code. I thought at least ANTares, but I think it's reaaally more like ANdroid Tablet.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 5:05:03 PM PDT
I still can't find a release date on this tablet, wtf?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  40
Total posts:  111
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Toshiba Thrive 10.1-Inch 8 GB Android Tablet AT105-T108
Toshiba Thrive 10.1-Inch 8 GB Android Tablet AT105-T108 by Toshiba
4.0 out of 5 stars   (960)