4.0 out of 5 stars Decent picture, no headphone output jack

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Audio
Published on January 1, 2012 by David Hartke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent picture, no headphone output jack, May 20, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba 19SL410U 19-Inch 720p 60 Hz LED-LCD HDTV, Black (2011 Model) (Electronics)
This TV has very good picture with lots of options for video adjustments including the options to turn the Game Mode ON/OFF and to adjust the backlight. I like the Channel Browser feature which gives us the access to the channel list, the favorite channels, and the history list of the channels we've been browsing. I agree with the previous reviewer that we'll need to download the pdf manual from Toshiba to understand all the features and how to use them. The pdf user's guide can be downloaded from Toshiba dot com in the section "Services & Support/Consumer Products/Televisions, DVD&BD Players".

Regrettably, this TV was purchased for a family member who has hearing impaired and the TV does not have a headphone jack to connect the powered speakers to improve the sound so I had to return it to Amazon and bought a Samsung UN19D4000 (also from Amazon) instead. The Toshiba 19SL410U does not sound too bad with its built-in speakers but as we've already known, the sound from a 19" LCD TV still leaves much to be desired even for the people with normal hearing. The 19SL410U has a digital optical audio output and FIXED left & right RCA audio output, both require a full surround sound system to connect to and that's not practical in most cases for a small TV of this size. Even if we connect the TV to the surround sound system via the digital optical or the FIXED left & right RCA output, we still can't control the volume with the TV remote but we will have to use the remote of the surround sound system to change the volume. However, if you already have a surround sound system and don't mind connecting the TV to it, this TV is a great TV with excellent picture.

BTW, the Samsung UN19D4000 is an excellent TV with tons of video-audio adjustment options and other features. The picture is one of the best 19" LED-LCD screens I've ever seen and it costs about the same as the 19SL410U as of today.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Audio, January 1, 2012
David Hartke (Prescott, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this TV several months ago. The picture and remote I would rate as excellent. HOWEVER, the sound is TERRIBLE. I always thought Toshiba put out quality products but how they let this one out with such crappy sound is beyond me. I simply could not understand what was spoken! I suspect they took some crappy speakers from their laptop division and put them in this unit. I finally went to Walmart and bought some Logitech external computer speakers and they work fine. However, I cannot control the sound through the remote (the audio out receptacle has a fixed output and the tone level does not work with this output) and have to go over to the right remote speaker to adjust the audio. If you don't mind buying some external speakers then this is a good TV but otherwise I suggest you look around for something else!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for kitchen or small bedroom, April 22, 2011
This 18.5-inch set was shipped to me packed only in the factory box, but UPS got it here in perfect condition. Its picture couldn't be sharper, and the sound seems good. There is a printed setup guide included, but you have to download and print the 62-page Owner's Manual yourself from the Toshiba.com website. That's a necessity, as the 19SL410U is packed with features and adjustments, and Toshiba's corner cutting is the only reason it doesn't earn five stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound is really awful - as other reviewers have stated., September 11, 2011
CharlieK (NorthWest hills, CT) - See all my reviews
There is absolutely no bass from this unit. Not a great deal of room for adjustment. Yes, it is a small TV, and yes I was warned. But have to say it is really really awful. You do have an option to turn up the volume higher and higher, and often still you can not clearly make out the audio. After prolonged exposure you wonder why you are getting a headache, and then realize it's the TV at 60 or higher.
No other issues, it was a breeze to set up and I hung it on the wall with a VISA mount in a kitchen. Picture is lovely.
Use this with external sound system, or expect sub-par sound experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, June 23, 2011
Easy set up, good reception with an accessory digital antenna, beautiful picture, but the sonic quality is not wonderful. Still, a nice second TV and a decent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture, great TV for the price with a TON OF FEATURES, December 25, 2011
Got this for my 7 yr old daughter's room for Christmas. So far only hooked up to DVD player (so as to control what she is watching). Awesome picture, decent sound and every imaginable input you could possibly want. Sure it is not my Samsung 56" with 1080p, but I wouldn't put a 19" tv in my living room either.

Well packaged, EASY connection to the included table base, extremely LIGHT WEIGHT was surprising (especially compared to LCD) and simple to setup.

This is a GREAT QUALITY TV for an even better price. Exactly what I was looking for at exactly the price I was hoping to find. Excellent TV for bedroom, office, kitchen, shop or garage.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no complaints here., December 6, 2011
I had this TV for awhile and nothing is wrong with it. It serves everything I would expect from a TV. It has a variety of number of input and output connections. I hook everything up to it. Cable TV, game systems, computer, DVD, Blue-Ray, etc. Picture is clear as a 720P from a HD source can give. I don't know why people complain about the sound. Unless I have super hearing or everyone else is deaf, I hardly ever need to turn the volume up more than 1/4 of the way and it sounds good. Plus there is always the option to hook it up to an audio system if you want. Oh, okay, it does not have headphone jacks. Come to think of it. I have not even seen a TV around these days with headphone jacks so that is the last thing I look for in a TV. Anyways, that problem is simply solved with a RCA adapter for your headphones that you can plug into the RCA input.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tv for college!!, July 20, 2012
I love this tv!! I bought something for my apartment in my bedroom- I knew it couldn't be too big. This was also right in my price range. Easy to hook up and easy to use. Simple, functional, and exactly what I needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 19" LED HDTV, May 31, 2012
This is a very good product. The only complaint I have is that the speakers are of low quality and produce a tinny sound. Otherwise, it is fine -- once I got through the interface between Toshiba Customer Support and Comcast Customer Support, both of whom spent way too much time pointing fingers at the other one.

I would definitely buy this product again. In fact, as my old-time cathode ray tube TVs give out, I will likely order an on-line replacement, if the price performance is as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent choice, April 19, 2012
this Toshiba replaced our kitchen area tv
size, features, picture and sound are excellent
thank you Amazon for your accurate reviews and excellent service

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›