Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 7, 2005
First, this is an excellent TV in terms of what matters to most folks: the picture. I'd definitely give it 4.5 stars if there was that option. So don't let this four star review scare you off.

I'm knocking this TV down simply because there is only one S-Video input and one component video input. Even that would be fine except that these inputs are also the two RCA inputs. So, reading the product information, you think (well, I thought, anyway) there there were five separate inputs, where in reality there are only three (plus the one on the front; this one is RCA, btw, so that's also not so good for MiniDV home video which is better viewed via S-Video input). Again, this is not a big deal unless you've got, say, two DVD players, or one DVD plus a Laser player, or two quality satellite inputs, or frequently watch MiniDV and also use the S-Video for TV, etc. Maybe not a factor for most people, but if it *is* a factor for you, look elsewhere for a TV. (Of course most folks with all that stuff will be buying HDTVs, anyway.)

That critique made, I'll quickly add that I think the picture is great. I'm no expert, but it ranks with the best standard CRTs I viewed at Best Buys. The styling is sleek, as well. Sound is very good and plenty loud for my general viewing purposes (when watching satellite movies or DVDs we play through the home theater set-up). Finally, I called Toshiba regarding the 27AF45 vs the 27af44 (the 44 stands for 2004, the 45 for 2005). I was told the only differences are cosmetic. If that's so, then there were essentially no changes, since the two TVs look so similar. I'd say buy whichever is cheapest.

One more thing: I bought this TV about a month ago, when Amazon very briefly was offering it with Super Saver free shipping. Doesn't seem they're offering it at all now, but for those debating delivery via Eagle Freight (Amazon's shipper), I had no problems at all. They were very pleasant on the phone when I called to find out the delivery date. They came that day, and they brought the TV right into my living room. The delivery guy also waited for a couple minutes while I hooked it up and checked out the picture and sound to make sure the unit was working properly. And this was all free. My experience is of course only with this TV, but Eagle delivers all Amazon's larger TVs, so if you're thinking about that option, you might want to factor this experience in.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 5, 2005
This TV is just amazing. My decision was narrowed to a few choices because of the 30" space limitation in my cabinet. I was happy to find this unit measured in at less than 29", about 1/2" less than the published spec. So basically it was down to a JVC Le'Art 27" and this model from Toshiba. I have to admit that I have not had good experience with Toshiba products over the last couple of years, but seeing this unit side by side with the competition it was pretty clear which one was going home with me.

The only complaint I have is as others have mentioned with the hookups, but maybe I can explain this with a little more clarity. There are ONLY 3 inputs on the back of the chassis: 1) Composite Coax 2) Shared S-Video/RCA Video Audio & 3) Component Connection. That's it for the rear of the TV and that's all most people care about so that means that this Toshiba model is NOT ideal for a primary or Home Theater setup.

However, the sharpness of the picture and the depth and clarity of colors will blow you away, especially in "Color Stream" mode. This is provided via the component connections. Watching "The Incredibles" was a totally new experience on this unit, with some scenes actually appearing in 3-D quality. Same with Son of the Mask. As for the built in speakers, 5Wx2 wont impress many enthusiasts, but this Toshiba sounds great in either standard, BBE, or Surround Mode.

This TV is a bar-goon at around $300, and maybe its best feature is that it only weighs 88lbs. so you wont put yourself in traction if your girlfriend decides to upgrade her apartment setup to accomodate a rapidly approaching FOOTBALL SEASON! 5***** for the picture, 4**** for the features, and 3*** for the combo VHS/DVD remote.
on July 19, 2005
I just wanted a TV to hold me until HDTV becomes standard. So I didn't want to spend more than $400 total. I was ready to purchase the SONY KV27-FS120. But it was this Toshiba that caught my attention. The Toshiba was also $70 less compared to the SONY. The TV on display had a DVD playing through the Toshiba's Component Video input. Toshiba calls that the "Color Stream" input. I immediately noticed how detailed the picture was. There was no video noise and the area outside of the letterbox bars was solid black.

The colors were outstanding. The brightness & contrast showed clean distinctive shades. The overall image was very detailed and clean. I felt that the Toshiba seemed equal or better than any of the others 27" standard CRTs I viewed in this price range. So I bought it and I am happy with my purchase. Out of the box , I had to lower the color and brightness levels significantly. There is a reset function to set it back to factory default levels. Everyones viewing preferences are different. So some people may like the default settings. After some minor Audio & Video adjustments, it looks really fantastic. The screen is pure flat,and shows no distortion, glare or reflections. That's important if the TV faces windows.

The TV is less than 30" wide, since the side speakers are not overly large. So the TV screen appears wider than those TV's with larger speakers on the sides. The sound is very good, but not great. However, I think most people usually connect their TV's to a stereo amplifier. Especially when viewing a music or action DVD. Using the BBE sound option gives the sound more clarity and presence. Theres is also a Surround sound mode that is very good. But it really depends on the source. Music sounds great with both the BBE & Surround Sound ON. The TV also has Bass and Treble controls. There are three Sets of Audio/Video Inputs. Which at this price range is all you are going to get.

For DVD viewing it's best to use the COMPONENT Video Input. Which gives a more detailed and brighter picture than S-VHS Input. The S-VHS(Super VHS)connection gives you a much better picture than standard composite inputs. But it is the component input that gives you the best overall quality. There are also front COMPOSITE Audio/ Video inputs for connecting a camcorder or a Playstation. Also found on the front panel is headphone jack. The sound using headphones is good enough for late night viewing.

My only negatives are if you connect powered speakers to the TV's audio outputs. You wont be able to control their volume using the TV's volume control. Also the included multi brand (TV/Cable/DVD) remote only works just the very basic features of cable boxes.
on April 14, 2005
After extensive research and time spent in various stores looking at screens, I ended up buying the Toshiba 27AF45. I have been quite happy with the sound and picture quality, specifically with the BBE sound enhancer and surround-sound features, and with the lack of setup needed to achieve a good picture. Front A/V inputs, input lockout and a component input round out a nice price/feature package.

One negative is that there is no color temperature control, so you are only able to adjust hue and color, brightness and contrast, but with contrast up, brightness down a little, and color backed off a few notches, it rivals the picture on any professional, non-HD, higher-priced monitor in the TV studios where I work. Bravo!

I haven't had it long-enough to know how it will hold up over the long-term, but unless I'm mistaken, it seems pretty solid. Now if I can just get all the remotes to play well together!
on May 21, 2005
After a spilled water incident killed my five year old television, I finally decided to upgrade. Plasmas and LCD's are still too expensive, so I went with this one.

I think it is an absolutely great television. With the BBE and surround sound on, the sound from the tv speakers is clear and powerful. I used to have to really pump up the volume on my old tv, but now at low levels it is still doing very nicely.

The smart sound feature is also very powerful. On my old tv, watching DVD's meant putting the volume up almost to maximum. Now, the volume stays consistent despite the input.

The image is very clear and sharp. I had to lower the contrast levels significantly, and a couple of others from their defaults to get rid of a slight glow and washed out feeling with the default settings. However, with those minor adjustments, it looks really fantastic.

Only negative is that Amazon ships through Eagle shipping for these large packages, and they are a very rinky-dink operation, at least near Portland, OR. Many delays, some caused by them just forgetting to put the tv on the truck (they even told me that directly - sorry, just forgot!). If I bought a large item like this again, I would be very tempted to just drive to Best Buy.
on April 29, 2005
I bought this TV after lots of online searching. It received great reviews, and the price was good so I went for it. I'm glad I did! I've had it for about 7 months now and I have become the envy of everyone in the house! We have two 36" TVs in the house, yet my little 27" is the favorite. The widescreen is great and the color sharpness is perfect. The stereo sound is also very good. It's easy to install and hook up other stereo/video components. The only question remaining is how long it will last, but I'm optimistic.
on September 13, 2005
This TV is a great alternative for the pricy flat screen types. It has a great picture a good size for average room and so far it has worked very well. Sound quality is great. It has some menu programming options that needed a little time to configure. Overall, it is an excellent machine and sufficient for home use unless you are someone who likes to bragg about your toys!

One thing I could not do successfully is to program the remote control unit to work with my Sony DVD player. I repeated the procedures described in the manual several times without luck.

This TV is extremely heavy. You will need some help to take it out of the box or to move around.
on June 15, 2005
This television arrived at my home with deep, dark grain burns in the screen from an apparent "bad shadow mask." Amazon does not allow returns on 27 inch televisions or larger and Toshiba has dragged their heels for a month now. They refuse to send me a new television and have (finally) arranged for a new picture tube to be installed. The repair required me to be at home for TWO different appointments with the repair service and at time of writing, I have a $300 charge on my latest credit card statement and still no television!
on December 30, 2005
THIS TV IS AWESOME, I AM USING S-VIDEO FOR CABLE AND COMPONENT FOR DVD PLAYER, THE PICTURE IS VERY SHARP , COLORS ARE BRIGHT BUT NOT OVER SATURATED, I COMPARED THIS TV NEXT TO THE SONY 27" TV AND SAW NO DIFFERENCE EXCEPT THE $50.00 PRICE! I ALSO OWN THE TOSHIBA 20AF44 WHICH IS SUPER, NO PROBLEMS AND IT ALSO LOOKS GREAT, THIS IS THE BEST LOOKING PICTURE NEXT TO HDTV THAT YOU'LL FIND UNTIL GOING ALL "DIGITAL", JUST USE SOME GOOD MONSTER CABLES AND YOU WILL BE ON YOUR WAY TO GREAT HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE!
on January 16, 2006
I purchased this TV in November for a new apartment that I was getting. At first I was nervous about ordering online. I was unsure of how it would arrive and in what condition. Further what if the product was not what I expected then how would I return it and What a Hassle that would be. But once I saw the other reviews on the product I took a chance. And I am very happy that I did. The delivery guys were polite and professional. The TV is GREAT and I Love It!!! This is a reliable product. And everything went off smoothly. I am more than pleased with the entire experience. Thanks