Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 10, 2010
I was wary of getting a Toshiba for a TV, since it seems they're not a high seller. But I wasn't pleasantly surprised with the features on this TV. If my math is correct, you're essentially paying an extra $100 for the convenience of having the DVD player built in to the TV, which is not a bad deal if need that.

To sum it up, this is a good LCD high-def TV with some surprisingly nice added features. I noticed that whiter flesh tones appeared a little too red and couldn't seem to correct this with the color adjustments, but that was the only downside.
We bought this TV for our kids' play room and wanted the convenience of the built-in player, so as to eliminate all the cords dangling from the TV.

Details....

DVD - it's important to remember this is a DVD player, and NOT Blu-ray. However, if you're like us, you already have a large DVD collection for your kids, so it's not really a waste.
I was surprised at the quality of the DVD player, which seemed to upscale nicely. (DVD's are formatted for older, standard definition televisions, so the image has to be converted to HD, which has more pixels (dots) to display.)

Blu-ray: I did not test out any features for playing back blu-ray discs, so if you really care about this you should read the manual of maybe other reviews. What I've learned so far on another HDTV is that you'll want control over "judder", which allows you to choose a setting that makes scenes with motion clearer. I'm not sure this Toshiba has those settings, so you may be stuck with what you get. Check the manual.

Power-up and Getting Started: this TV does seem to take a bit longer to power up, I think because it has to check the DVD player first, which slows things down. The getting started guide was great and easy to follow.
I did have one bug - I'm using broadcast HD. That's right, television stations are now broadcasting HD signals for free. Of course, it's not at all close to the number of cable channels, but who cares - it's free! And it's HD.
So you have to tell the TV at setup time what system you're running - and for some reason I couldn't really pick the Antenna setting. However, after the first setup, I simply followed the instructions for re-scanning channels for antenna, and it all worked fine.

Antenna usage - this TV has some great antenna features - it will show you signal strength for each channel. Very nice.

Picture Quality - very good. Again, the only problem I noticed was flesh tones turned out too pink or too red on some channels. I played with all of the color settings but couldn't quite get it right. Movies seemed to be fine.
I did not watch any Blu-ray movies on this, since I had no blu-ray device connected, but DVD movies and broadcast channels looked great. 32 inches is actually a small size for HD TV's, and you'll notice this for a lot of channels, since they still broadcast in the old standard.
KQED here in the Bay Area looks fantastic on this thing (they broadcast often in 1080i, which is very good).

Audio - the sound is good, but not great. Still, you'll be able to understand dialog in movies, so I think it's good enough. In most TV's now, it seems, they don't put the speakers pointing out towards the user, they point down, which is simply never going to sound as good as direct sound.

Other - the TV is small and light and mounted easily to a TV mount I bought off of Amazon. There are a few standard sizes used in standard mounts, and the screws fit right in.

All in all, Toshiba did a very good job with this TV.
22 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2010
It's funny to see people give this product 4 stars and say its great but picture quality could be better. First and fore most, this is a 720p TV so if you're used to 1080p then obviously the picture quality won't be the same. I own a full HD TV and this TV is just right for my purpose, which was just to have something hanging in the work out room so I could watch TV or a movie as i worked out. Not to watch blu rays and to game on. With that said the TV does the job perfectly. Nice design, very sleek and attractive. The quality of the picture is very good though obviously it's not the best out there. I own a 1080p full hd TV in the front room and this is not that far off IMO because as the TV screen gets smaller the need for high resolution becomes smaller and since this is 32 inches it's not bad at all. The built in dvd is what sold me, wifey wanted it to put workout videos in. So for the price this TV is a great buy and handles the job nicely. Depends on your needs I suppose... Highly recommend as long as you don't spend over $400 net on it.

Also, I purchased a Cheetah Articulating Arm Wall Mount for 23-37 tvs (here!CHEETAH MOUNTS LCD TV ARTICULATING ARM WALL MOUNT FOR 23-37" DISPLAYS BLACK) off of amazon for like $20 and it worked perfectly... I didn't even do research just saw it was a good deal and pulled the trigger like a month before i even purchased the TV and it fit perfectly to the 4 holes. So if you're looking for a good mount to fit this there you go
on October 7, 2010
I chose the Toshiba, because I had the same Toshiba combo in the 22-inch size, which I was happy with. The 32-inch is even better than the 22 because the sound can be adjusted louder. I really like the combo TV/DVD because it eliminates some of the clutter with extra wires and an extra DVD unit. It seems that the vertical DVD player is a better design than the horizontal drawer-type of player. Great price, too. It was well packaged and I received it in two days with "Prime Shipping" at no extra charge.
on December 3, 2010
I bought this to replace an old style tube TV. It seems to work fine and overall I am neither excited nor disappointed with it.

Setup was not too bad - pretty quick to plug in and get working, probably 45 min to work through basic setup options using on-screen menus. I did not do much that was advanced, just picture size and type and a few other things.

Picture seems good although on HD channels the response seemed to be an issue - the picture often did not catch up to the telecast, which is pretty disappointing. I don't know enough of the technicals to know what might cause that, but we don't watch many HD channels as a result.

The DVD player works well and is convenient to have built in (the whole point of buying this model). It's a little noisy every time you turn on the TV (it makes startup noises for a few seconds), but that's about it.

Inputs are handy and easy to use, though I have only used a few. The appearance is nice and the picture seems fine. Now that prices are coming down I wish I had waited a little, but that's life.
on September 15, 2010
I just received my television yesterday. It arrived on the exact day they said it would arrive. Setup was a breeze. Only took a few minutes. Picture quality and sound is great. The only issue I have is that it takes a few seconds longer than expected to start up. Other than that, great unit. I am very happy with my purchase.
on August 20, 2010
A nice tv and love the built in dvd takes away the clutter with a dvd player sitting around , Picture quality is not as good as I thought it would be but manageable . I recommend this product .
on October 28, 2010
Replaced a smaller VIZO with this unit. Same Motorola HD-DVR and HDMI cable that has been in use for over two years. The Toshiba will only negotiate a connection with the DVR every 4th or 5th attempt. This is the HDCP protocol and it's designed to protect HD content from being copied. It doesn't matter which unit is powered on first. I called Toshiba and after three separate conversations I was told the TV and the DVR are not compatible. I have the same dvr connected to a Pioneer with no HDCP issues. I said to Toshiba I was going to return the TV. They said have the cable company fix their problem

When the TV would connect with the DVR it worked fine. Rather than going through the pain of returning the set I hooked it up with component cables and it now works reliably. Using 5 cables instead of one is just not right.
on August 30, 2010
I am very satisfied with this product. The picture quality is excellent and the DVD player has all of needed controls. I am using this set in my bedroom and I am very happy with clean look and the lack of clutter from multiple devices
on September 3, 2010
Great tv for the price. Love that the dvd is part of the tv.
on December 24, 2010
Bought this tv/dvd combo for a guest room. Now I want to watch tv there instead of the master bedroom! easy set-up, and perfect picture. $10 cheaper than anywhere online, and almost $100 cheaper than any store! Keep up the good deals Amazon!