5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture and pretty good sound too
Let me first mention that Amazon has the dimensions of the TV wrong, they seem to be for the TV shipping box and not the TV. The TV is 35" wide, 23.3" tall with stand (20.7" without), and 8" wide with stand (3.3" without). It weights less than 20 pounds, it is very easy to move.

The stand had to be attached to the TV. You may have to look at the picture...
Published 18 months ago by W. Jessup

2.0 out of 5 stars Advanced features mostly useless
If you just want to watch TV and you have a good High Definition source, this TV is probably fine for you (though overpriced for that purpose).

Trying to use the advanced features of this TV, however, is an exercise in frustration.

Published 17 months ago by Bob Ray

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture and pretty good sound too, May 12, 2013

The stand had to be attached to the TV. You may have to look at the picture instructions a few extra seconds to understand them, I am a little old school and am still use to word instructions. After you figure out the diagram, it takes about a minute to attach the stand.

Setup is fairly easy, a alpha/numeric keyboard automatically pops up when needed to make entering network names and passwords easy. The TV menus are easy to use and are accessed using one button on the remote, setup. The remote is easy to use also, similar to a DirecTv remote. In fact, I setup the Toshiba 'IR Blaster' to control my DirecTv box rather than using two remotes.

There was a firmware update available when I turned the TV on the second time. Easy to install, just pushed a few buttons. There will be more in the future.

The apps are in the cloud, but most aren't available at this time. I will update this review as they become available. Some of the major apps usable now are Netflix, Cinema Now, HuluPlus, Pandoria, Skype, and YouTube. There's a Netflix button on the remote, press it and you're there. The Netflix app has the same layout as their website, very easy to navigate with only arrow keys on a TV remote.

I decided not to set-up surround sound for this Toshiba TV because I wanted to hear how good or bad the sound was using the normal TV speakers. The sound is pretty good for a thin TV, so good that I haven't bothered attaching the cable for surround sound just yet.

Also, it was easy to wirelessly connect the TV to my home PC to display shared pictures, movies, and, music. So easy in fact, that the TV connected automatically. I didn't need these features and only used them to make sure they worked. It only saw folders that I had previously set up to be shared.

That's about it for now. I will update this review as more features and apps become available in the cloud.

I have been watching quite a bit of baseball lately. The picture is great, I haven't noticed any blurring at all. Actually the picture is better on HD sports than on your usual HD network channels but this may have more to do with DirecTv and their Extra Innings baseball programming than Toshiba, but it does give a indication of how good the picture really is.

A review update. Last Night, June 7th 2013, when I turned the TV on, a message appeared saying new software was available. So, I updated. Vudu apps was added, well, actually, the icons were there, they weren't accessible until now. With Vudu apps you now have access to Vudu movies, Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, and various news apps like, CNN Daily, AC 360, NBC Today Show, NBC Nightly News and New York Times Video News.

2.0 out of 5 stars Advanced features mostly useless, June 30, 2013

To use any of them, you need an internet connection, which works fine if you hard-wire it with an ethernet cable, but the wireless option is finicky about how your network is set up and what your password is. I did manage to set it up for wireless internet, but it took several hours.

The TV has a web browser, but the navigation is painful to use, and for most uses, the first thing you want to do is search. That means using the horribly slow onscreen keyboard combined with the slow response of the remote. To add insult to injury, the online manual suggests that you use the wireless keyboard, but as far as I can tell, there is no wireless keyboard available for this model (see update below).

One particularly frustrating "feature" is that in some modes, the simulated mouse has insufficient resolution to hit small targets on the screen. When watching a YouTube video, enlarging the video hid the controls below the video and I was absolutely unable to click on the down arrow to scroll down and expose them. The cursor would go just to the left or right of the arrow, but couldn't be positioned over it.

***

The specs say it has two composite and one component input, but this is somewhat misleading. It has one set of shared composite/component inputs (5 input jacks) so you get one composite or one component input. It does have a mini video input, so technically you could probably use it with two composite sources if you had the right cables for that and didn't need the component input.

***

The marketing material suggests that you can view photos and videos on the box from a USB source, but when I plug in my Thunderbolt Android phone, neither the phone nor the TV know that it's connected. I set the TV to "autostart" media share when something is plugged into the USB connection, but I get "No device connected" when I plug in the phone, and the same thing when I press the media share button on the remote. I didn't try plugging in a computer or iPhone, but Windows computers generally use NTFS for the file system, and according to the manual, the TV only handles Fat file systems. I have unlimited data on the phone, so it's particularly frustrating that it won't work at all with this TV.

The marketing material also suggests that the TV can share media (e.g., photos and videos) with other devices connected to the network. Unfortunately, this only works with devices that have WiDi capability, which is fairly rare, requires a laborious setup process, and still may not work.

***

It has what appears to be a kick-butt universal remote, with buttons for TV, Cable/Sat, BD/DVD, DVR/VCR, Audio, and Aux. In order to use the universal remote, however, you need to plug in the IR blaster hardware and attach the wired transmitters over the IR receivers on the components. I did get it to work with my Sony receiver, but only for power and volume. After a lot of time spent messing with it, it still doesn't work with my DirecTivo DVR.

Even when it works, this is another good example of poor implementation of a good idea. They could have built the IR blaster features into the remote (like any good universal remote), instead you have ugly, visible wires and dongles crapping up the front of your enterntainment system and you're limited to two extra devices (three counting the TV) even though the remote has buttons for six. You can buy piggy-back IR blaster connectors, but then you have even more visible garbage crapping you your system.

***

There is a downloadable App for controlling the TV using a phone or tablet. I installed it on my Thunderbolt and it works, sort of, but it's incredibly clunky and much more difficult to use than the regular remote. Worse yet, the one thing I wanted it for was to use the keyboard on the phone when surfing the web, which doesn't work at all.

***

I live in a large city and the TV's tuner doesn't do a very good job of getting the local channels with a table-top antenna. To be fair, I've never gotten a very good signal on some of the channels, but this TV does a much worse job than my old Sony Trinitron did with the same antenna. At least half the channels now have periodic dropouts and pixelization. This may just be a result of going digital.

***

You can browse the Web with the built-in browser, but there's no Flash player support, so many web videos and a lot of YouTube entries won't play at all. Using the browser to surf the Web is not all that pleasant, so the only thing you really want to do with it is watch videos, many of which won't play on this set. From what I understand, most other "smart" TVs have Flash support.

____________________________________
What does work?

The TV has a very good selection of inputs and outputs (the composite and component inputs mentioned above, and 4 HDMI inputs) and they all work as expected. The picture quality is acceptable if you have a good HD source, but if you are feeding it a Standard Definition signal, you'll get a fairly poor picture with lots of noise and artifacts, especially so if you're using the composite input. To be fair, this is true of most HD TVs.

***

The default color saturation is ridiculously high, but it seems most people want that these days after seeing all the jacked up images on store TVs. The Toshiba also has an impressive set of controls for customizing both the video and the audio and they are input-specific, so you can have different settings for different inputs.

***

The sound is fairly good for a TV and there is a toslink optical digital output that will give you excellent surround sound with a home theater set up. You can also customize the audio delay so you can use the TV speakers in addition to your home theater without getting an echo.

***

The remote has a Netflix button that will take you straight to Netflix. The streaming video quality from Netflix is quite good on the set, even with a fairly slow internet connection (around 6 Mb/s).

***

Another feature that works well is the ability to connect any device with HDMI output, though I think any TV with HDMI inputs will do this. I connected my Kindle Fire with a 15' cable and got excellent results with Amazon Prime videos.

***

The TV will also update its firmware through your internet connection. An update executed soon after I set it up and worked fine, though I lost the Internet connection after it did so and had to reconfigure my network to work with the updated software. I had to set the router to broadcast the SSID and take the punctuation out of my password. I'm not sure which one was necessary (maybe both). Before the update, the router showed up in the TV's WiFi scan even though the SSID was not broadcast. After the update, I could only see my neighbor's networks until I set the router to broadcast the SSID. Unfortunately, this makes your network much less secure.

In Summary

As I said, the TV's basic functions are fine, but the "smart TV" features seem to have been implemented just enough to let the marketing people claim they are there, but not enough to actually use.

As another reviewer suggested, you'd probably be better off getting a non-smart TV and a Roku box. The Roku box will also give you access to Amazon Prime videos, which the TV will not.

In the first few days of using the TV, it would freeze up occasionally during menu operations. No buttons on the remote or the TV would work (including the power button on the TV). I had to unplug it to get it unfrozen. This has stopped happening, probably because I'm no longer performing Setup operations.

[Update]
I've had it about 5 weeks now and have a few corrections and more to report.

I stand by the claim that this TV is not ready for prime time. As a further example, you can name the HDMI inputs in Setup. This is really important since there are 2 composite and 4 HDMI inputs (labeled HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.) and who wants to keep a note next to your chair reminding you which is which. In setting the input names, you can select any of the built-in names for them (e.g., DVD), or you can create and set custom names for them (e.g., Tivo, Roku). The maddening thing is that no matter how many times you do this, in a day or two, the set will forget them and revert to the default names.

I got a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard with a built-in touch pad. It "works" with the TV. "Works" is in quotes because of the limitations. It works with the TV's onscreen keyboard when in setup (sort of). But it doesn't work for the Roku search box, the Netflix search box, or the Amazon Prime search box -- all three of which I use way more often than I do the TV's setup. To be fair, I don't know if the blame here belongs to Toshiba, Roku, or both.

The keyboard *does* work with the Toshiba's built-in web browser (again -- sort of), and makes it much less horrible than it is using the Toshiba remote. The problem (and this is a problem in Setup also) is that the keyboard's effects are wildly inconsistent due to problems in the Toshiba software and User Interface design. Sometimes, pressing "Enter" on the keyboard will be the equivalent of clicking on the "Done" button. Sometimes, it will do nothing. Sometimes, maddeningly, pressing "Enter" will type the letter 'q'. Sometimes, you can select the "Done" button with the touch pad. Sometimes you can't.

The net effect of all this is that you have to sit there with the keyboard, the Roku remote, and the Toshiba remote, trying various things until you find one that works. I've been unable to find any logic to the differences and suspect that it's just very sloppy programming.

The good news is that, at least in the web browser, the touch pad and the two mouse keys on the K400 work as expected and will also let you scroll. If your TV has an internet connection, you can get to the web by just pressing the internet key on the Toshiba remote. You can set the default web page to Google. From there, the keyboard will let you type a search phrase and after that, you can pretty much use the touch pad to do what you want as long as you don't want to watch any Flash videos.
[/Update]

[Update 9/7/2014]

This may be of use to others who have this TV. I couldn't figure out why HDTV HDMI signals were being letterboxed on all four sides when they should have been full-screen. It turns out that certain input-specific settings for the TV such as the aspect Ratio used for an input channel are set on a specific menu that can *only* be reached by pressing the "Quick" button on the remote. You can't get to them through the setup menu, which only controls settings used for all inputs. The word "Quick" implies fast access to settings available elsewhere, so this button is seriously misnamed (as is the "Settings" button, which on every other TV on earth is called "Menu."

A further frustration is that now every time I turn on the TV, it wants to download an update. If I say Yes, it downloads the update until it gets to 95% then quits with an error. You'd think that downloading and installing firmware updates would be the most solid thing in the software, but apparently not. I haven't yet tried updating it via USB. Hopefully that will work but I'm not counting on it, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to get it to stop asking you to perform an update.

[Update 11/27/13]
I tried to update via USB. It's tricky because the the USB has to be formatted as FAT and plugged into USB port 1. I downloaded the update to the USB and plugged it into the TV and the result was a notice that I was already up-to-date and didn't need an update. Of course that didn't stop the TV from trying to update every time I turn it on. I finally just gave it the lobotomy it deserved. I disconnected it from the internet and use a Roku3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to go!, May 24, 2013
This review is from: Toshiba 32L4300U 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED HDTV with Built-in WiFi (Electronics)
Excellent T.V. Does all I need it to and has all the technology to make it viable for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 27, 2013
Best tv of all time easy set up picture clear and clean awesome delivery great price wireless was easy and the applications were great

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this TV, October 21, 2013
Don't understand why all the negative reviews! Bought this TV sometime ago and I love it! The picture is crystal clear and the sound quality is above average for a thin LED HDTV. I have no problems connecting to the Internet and downloading the latest firmware is always a breeze! I highly recommend this to anyone looking to purchase a high quality TV at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, August 23, 2013
I've owned a number of LED and LCD screens/tv's and this one is by far one of the best. It has excellent contrast, brightness and picture. I also like that it doesn't heat up my room like my previous tv did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for the develpment of the Accessories, May 29, 2013
The Tv is Great great pic and support from toshiba. I am still waiting for the compatable mouse, keyboard, and Skype camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect., August 12, 2013
I ordered this TV to replace a Sony 27" box TV that finally died after 20 years of service. This Toshiba has a very good picture and it's light weight makes it easy to handle. The only problem I have with this TV is that it mysteriously comes on by itself at various times of the day and night. In the two months I've had this set, it has turned on by itself a half dozen times, mostly in the early morning hours and a few times in the afternoon and evening. I have scheduled a home visit by an exorcist to cure this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great television, July 20, 2013
Great picture and sound, easy setup and came packed securely.
The remote worked great and i would not hesitate to buy another Toshiba.
Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars It is one year and almost one month since we ..., July 21, 2014
It is one year and almost one month since we received/bought this "smart" TV. It is now giving us the "repair needed" prompt and not working at all. It is one month out of warranty. This TV was very lightly used as it was in the guest room of our second home.