Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Toshiba 39L1350U 39-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 22, 2013
We purchased this TV, after deciding that we weren't interested in having our "smart" TV built in. We have an Apple Smart TV, and can always consider upgrades to this (developing and fairly inexpensive) technology. Our Sony dvd player handles our streaming needs quite well; so, otherwise what we wanted was a quality TV with a beautiful picture, as well as enough inputs/outputs to give us flexibility with our needs.
This Toshiba (32L1350U) is truly a beautiful set - especially for the price! (I went ahead and took Amazon's credit card and received the $50 gift certificate - so that came off the price.) This TV has true stereo analog outputs (full size - not a single, mini-"headphone" jack, audio output), so you can easily go through a stereo receiver to quality speakers. Otherwise, 3 HDMI jacks (cable box, dvd player, etc.); as well as a PC port, and a USB, if you must use it as a computer monitor.
It has absolutely beautiful color definition, a small frame - so a maximum viewing area, and the built-in speakers are really quite good! We were happy that we could still get full analog stereo, output capability and all the features of a current HD television.
88 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a review for the 39" version.

While Samsung is likely over-rated, Toshiba is equally under-rated. This TV puts out a great picture AND sound. This is also one of the most efficient TV's on the market.

Pro:
O Great Picture. Although not always 120hz (it depends on the source), the picture is fantastic. Realistic color representation. Works great as PC display (I use mine as part of a Home Theater PC setup). Great viewing angle. Plenty bright even with natural sunlight coming in the room.
O No "fancy" frills. Forget "smart tvs", let TV manufacturer do what they do best: make a TV! You can buy a dvd player, apple tv, roku, etc that does everything a smart tv can do. I personally let my HTPC running Windows Media Center do all the heavy lifting.
O Has all the outputs you need. Lately alot of manufactures are cutting back on outputs, probably keep the displays as thin/light as possible. This has output for analog audio (goes to my sennheiser wireless headphones) and optical audio (goes to my audio receiver for when I want full theater experience).
O Built in speakers are quite capable. A worthy sound for a thin tv!
O AWESOME energy efficiency. Energy star rates this as 49.6Watts, but my killawatt measures it at 36.9Watts. The Energy Star Sticker estimates $10 per year in power costs, far below the average for comparable sized screens. And given my measurements, Energy star is overestimating the consumption.
O Clean design, uncomplicated user interface!
O Price is terrific! This performs as well as much more expensive Samsung models which paying the unnecessary premium. Toshiba makes great sets and has great reputation for superb engineering in Japan. I will point out that Samsung is not nearly as popular a brand in Japan, which reinforces my belief that perception about brand and quality is very relative.

Cons:
O Base is a bit wobbly for my tastes, but is adequate given the light weight of the TV itself. I only notice when I turn the TV to face a different room. (Which I do frequently, and it has been no problem whatsoever)
O Other reviewers have mentioned the low sensitivity of the remote. I admit it's a bit weak, but it's not so hard to aim it at the TV. Really the only time I need it is to turn on/off or change volume. These days most viewing control is done thru media devices anyway (my HTPC in my case), so I'm not bothered, and I suspect neither will most people. (Who doesn't have a media player of some type these days? Tivo, Cable box, Roku, DVD player, etc...)
O I wish the TV would auto-power down faster after not detecting a signal, or allow the user to customize this. I think it takes about 20 minutes.

Overall, I am very happy with this TV! I would absolutely purchase again and recommend this TV. 5 stars

Please feel free to leave a comment/question as I'm happy to reply.

Update 4/5/2014:
Still very happy with this TV. Just wanted to add that the TV and the stand stood up very nicely to all the earthquakes we've been having.
66 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2014
I purchased two of the 29L1350U LCD monitors to use as in a CCTV application. Within a few months of installation each of the units displayed instances of random power cycling (the monitors will power off and back on during use). An internet search of this phenomenon indicates that my monitors are not unique in this behavior.

One unit has only performed this random power cycle on three occasions over six months (and though annoying, this will seem acceptable as you read on). The second TV, however, is unusable, as it power cycles four or more times per hour - in some instances requiring unplugging for several minutes before it will resume function.

The defective unit is less than six months old, so after contacting their customer service, I sent it to a Toshiba authorized repair depot. I was responsible for shipping, which is frustrating, but acceptable. The unit was allegedly "repaired" (a new motherboard was installed) but upon its return it exhibited the same behavior IMMEDIATELY after being reconnected to a power supply. I was told to send the unit for a second round of service (again at my shipping expense) and that if the unit could not be repaired "other options" would be explored. I have received it back from this second repair and it still does not work. I have spoken to customer service, warranty service , and customer relations personnel, including several "managers." I am told that there is no option to have a replacement TV issued, only to resubmit to the same repair depot, AT MY COST. The "other options" are that they will request that a senior technician inspect the TV (implying that the lower level technician should not have been trusted to complete a successful diagnostic and repair?).

If I am to submit the set again, I will have spent $75 on shipping to repair an ongoing problem for a $190 TV. This experience has taught me that a Toshiba warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. I intend to file a complaint with my local bureau of consumer protection / the Better Business Bureau, as well as post as many online warnings to would-be-customers as I possibly can. I used to look at Toshiba as a trusted brand name and a reputable company. I understand that any manufacturer can have problems with products. A reputable company cannot guarantee that all of its equipment will be without defect, only that they will help to restore the consumer who was burdened with a defective item. The issue is not the faulty TV. The issue is the horrendous run-around that I am being put through in my attempts to resolve the issue. This is the last Toshiba item that I will ever purchase, PERIOD.
55 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2013
All are TV are Toshiba we have had no problem with any of them. The new 58 in is a amazing picture, we have a surround sound system and you feel like you are watching everything at the theater. I highly recommend this TV.
55 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2014
This 58" Tv is amazing, so amazing I ordered another one for my parents. I purchased my first "flat screen" back in 2007. It was a 42" Toshiba that was highly recommended in Consumer Reports. I still use it today with only one issue... The battery cover on the remote falls off easily. Everything else still works perfect on it. Im a huge gamer and love to watch sports (football, nascar, hockey, xgames) and this tv worked ok, but was a little blurry. 240hz wasn't available back then. Then a few years down the road I bought a 32" Toshiba for my bedroom. Again, no issues but I decided a few months ago that I needed to get with the times and update the 42". So, I gave my uncle my 32" and he loves it. I researched Tvs on here, bestbuy, new egg, sears, target, walmart, basically anyone that sells TVs. Everyone thinks Samsung is the way to go... I have no problems with Samsung, but they are overpriced. I have a ps3,a ps4, and a labtop that i hook up to my TV's hdmi. I want the best technology but minus the aps on it and the 3D on it. Which I personally believe isn't the greatest thing for your eyes. (Just my opinion) I came across this big guy... Now when I was going to purchase this, it was right around black Friday... Huge fan of ad watching... Everything that was cheap on BF was a cheap brand or not worth the wait. That's when I decided on this and don't regret one bit of it. Im not loaded or well off by any means. Im a veteran and a full time college student. I have been saving up money for a while just to afford a nice tv. For 899.00 (tax free and free shipping) You get a huge almost 60" tv... 240hz, which is amazing on any sports, movies or fast paced show (almost looks fake cause the clearity is so real)... Now for gamers out there... This TV was rated my numerous gaming magazines as the 3rd best tv for lag response time (the other 2 were over $2,000) However Toshiba has a "game mode" which sets everything to the exact setting for you to achieve this quickness without sacrificing image quality. COD GHOSTS LOOKS AMAZING ON PS4!!! GTA V and Gran Turismo 6 on ps3 = AMAZING! I recommend everyone that reads this... DO YOUR RESEARCH... Make sure you know what you want before you buy... I did and don't regret it! After 3 months having it... I cant believe the difference it is compared to my 42". Any responses with questions, I'll try and answer after this post. Thank you and CHEERZ to Tv shopping!
66 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2014
This is my third Toshiba flat screen and I love it. I just keep going with Toshiba because of the quality.

I'm using a RaspeberyPi for streaming, Dish Network for other stuff, and a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player and all are exemplary with my new Toshiba.

I upgraded from a 40" Toshiba Plasma to this backlit LED and find it just great.

I really cannot say enough about this TV. You'll love yours as well.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
With Toshiba, you have top-of-the-line quality. The price (on sale) was surprisingly low so we ordered 2! My dad saw it and ordered one for himself. So, we ended up with three that we are very pleased with!
on March 22, 2015
Had this for over a year now and still shining! I love the overall brightness, vivid color, and of course it's connectivity, including both HDMI and old school RCA connections! I matched the Toshiba's (Movie) image as close as I could to my Kindle Fire HD's image, and the remaining Standard and Dynamic picture settings then were useful, especially for certain older movies. Great TV; if it is discontinued, I'd definitely purchase its' replacement! Cheers!
on November 15, 2013
The TV is great--Amazon's LOW-PRICE GUARANTEE is difficult to understand and complicated to make a claim with. The picture takes a little time to properly tweak to your personal liking for each input, but it is well worth the time. It has lots of inputs and a bright vibrant picture with plenty of ways to maximize viewing older equipment with very good quality. The viewing angles are amazing compared to HDTVs of just a couple of years ago. The technology has come a long way--even for a 'budget set' like this one. Don't be put off by the negative reviews that compare this with sets two or three times the price--this TV has a better picture than almost anything you could have bought a few years ago. This TV can be gotten at a very good price many places and Amazon may be difficult to work with if you make a price match claim. I highly recommend you buy this TV if you don't need all the bells and whistles of a 'Smart TV' but make sure Amazon really has the best price because getting them to price match after the sale may take a lot of time and effort!
on January 17, 2016
I love this TV. It is basic and no frills, but that's exactly what i was looking for. All i cared about was image quality, and this doesn't disappoint in that regard. The picture is clear and contrasty and colors look accurate to my eye.

I didn't care for a smart TV, because none of those systems actually work as well or as easily as one would ever hope. Instead I just wanted a "dumb" TV that I could just plug a chromecast in to and call it a day.

The remote is a little cheapy, but I don't care too much about that. It works. I do wish the time it took for the TV to turn on was a little faster. I'd say from pushing the power button to actually being able to see/hear is about 10 seconds, and about 2 of those are waiting for the power light to even come on, so sometimes I think the remote didn't work on the first press and will push the button again unnecessarily.

the TV is also pretty lightweight, so it's easy to move around or mount on a wall if you desire