4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price
I bought this Toshiba to replace the 32" TCL LCD in my bedroom - gave the TCL to my son. Just got this TV yesterday and I wanted to give my first impressions and address some of the concerns listed in other reviews, both here and on other sites. The three main criticisms of this TV were:

1. Only two HDMI ports - I only needed one or two ports anyway, so this...
Published on September 13, 2011 by W. Weigel

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Sound
Good picture and good value for the money but the sound quality is unbearably poor. There is no analog out for sound but there is a digital out. Though about adding speakers but decided to return and buy LG for $50 more.
Published on August 23, 2011 by mark

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba 40E210 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV, Black (2011 Model) (Electronics)

1. Only two HDMI ports - I only needed one or two ports anyway, so this did not bother me. If you are purchasing this as your main unit, you need to weigh this considerably. There are ways around it, such as a receiver with HDMI-in ports or an HDMI switch, but unless you own these already, it's money you could spend on a bigger TV.

2. Sound - OK, the sound on this is not great, but it is not as bad as some people are making it out to be. I would say it is about average for TV's of this size and level (I install TV's in clients' conference rooms from time to time). I was really expecting it to be bad after some of the reviews, so when it pretty much sounded on par with my 32" TCL, it kind of made me laugh. I was also able to change the Dolby settings (Compressed or Normal - you have to decide what you like better) to improve the sound. What critics probably dislike is the lack of bass. There is pretty much no bass, but I feel the same way about every other TV of this size I have heard. It does not have RCA or analog out, so you cannot install computer speakers, like some reviewers have complained about. It does have an optical out, which is better because it is feature-forward. I have a Panasonic soundbar already, so I plugged the TV optical out into my soundbar and everything sounded great. I would never spend the money on a TV of this size and use the built-in speakers. At the very least, go with a sound bar. Panasonic makes a very good one and Vizio has one for under $100 on Amazon. My Panasonic is perfect for the bedroom - shows and movies are immersive and the voices are crystal clear. If you want a nice sound system with full bass and don't want to run wires or buy a receiver, get the Panasonic soundbar with the subwoofer. If you just want to significantly improve the sound of the TV, you can buy the soundbar with no subwoofer. It will do nicely (I do not have the subwoofer).

3. Weak HD tuner - I have no idea what the critical reviewers are talking about. This TV picked up every QAM channel, including unencrypted digital, that my cable company provides. What this means is that I hooked the TV straight to my cable line and it picked up all of the local digital HD stations, the music stations, and cable analog stations. It performed as well as my other TV's with no problem. I then hooked up my indoor HD antenna and it picked up 38 stations, including every Milwaukee HD channel and some from Chicago. I live almost 50 miles from Milwaukee and 70 miles from Chicago. It worked as well or better than my other TV's. To put this in context, if I look up on the web what channels I am supposed to receive for my location, it lists 25 stations. I get 38. The TV also has a nice feature that shows how strong the signal is when you pull up a channel.

All in all, the Toshiba is a great TV for the money, especially at $399.98. The picture quality is excellent and the screen has a nice matte finish, so there are no reflections. It is a 60Hz TV, so there will probably be some artifacting during Bluray movie action sequences, but that is to be expected.

It was easy to set up and does everything I ask from a TV of this class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase thus far, August 20, 2011
This is my first HD television although I've had experience working with them due to my job as a computer tech. The picture quality on this TV is on par with the better screens I've seen. When a BR disk is playing (connected with HDMI) it's astounding. The sound on the unit goes very high without the vibration I've heard other TVs produce at higher volumes. The high notes are a bit sharp on the unit at higher volumes and the only reason I gave it a 4 star on sound quality.

Setup was simple...snap together some plastic for the base and plug it in.

I've not used the unit with any other devices outside of my BR player. I've used Vudu, Netflix, normal DVDs and Blueray and all look great. Even the standard definition DVD and Netflix feeds look sharp.

If you're wanting a TV that's simple to use without any fuss or tweaking with settings or configurations this one is perfect as that's what I was looking for in a TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, great value, August 14, 2011
This 40 inch Toshiba is the forth Toshiba I own (also a 42 in, 46 in and a 55 in). All of them great, no problems whatsoever. Terrific picture. I've owned the 42in for 3 or 4 years, the 45in for 2 years, the 55in for 6 mos and the 40 in for one month. All are now in service, all excellent. You can't go wrong with Toshiba and both the 55 in and the 40 in were bargains besides. I also have a Samsung 46 which is great, but the Toshiba is the best value in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great picture for the price, but there is a tradeoff, January 30, 2012
OldNumber7 (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
You can't argue with the picture for the price. There are very few models offering 1080 resolution on a 40 inch screen for right around $400. This TV is easy to set up and the picture is terrific. The only significant drawback is the audio. I had to max the bass and completely take out the treble, then crank the volume all the way, just to make it passable.
Why they couldn't include an analog audio output is beyond me. I didn't intend to have to upgrade my entire home entertainment system just to buy a new TV. So now I'll have to drop anywhere from $40 to $100 for a digital to analog converter for my stereo or a basic sound bar just so I can get decent audio. Suddenly the terrific price for the TV looks more like a so-so price.
If you already have optical digital audio equipment then this is not a concern to you; in which case I heartily recommend this TV for the video. If you still have an analog home audio system -- and you don't plan to upgrade soon -- consider the extra cost you'll need to enjoy this TV with your stereo or powered speakers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Sound, August 23, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, October 18, 2011
TV arrived with no problems. Great TV - beautiful picture, nice remote, and decent sound. We hung ours on a bracket and it was easy. This is a great TV for the price and will hold its own against others costing much more. It's not as thin as the newer LED LCD models but so what! You won't go wrong with this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, October 1, 2011
After a long time waiting and searching and waiting I finally pulled the trigger on this TV. The sound is pretty poor as other reviewers have stated but I run our sound through the stereo system so it didn't really matter. Picture is very good, especially for the price. Good contrast and not a lot of fade when viewing from the side. If I used the sound I would likely have considered sending it back. But it's the perfect TV for what we use it for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value But Poor Sound Quality, November 26, 2011
We picked up this tv at Best Buy on Black Friday for $399. The picture quality is great and it was simple to setup, however the sound quality is definitely below average. Our 31" Sharp LCD has amazing sound compared to this set. We are planning on purchasing a sound bar to compensate as the base is non-existent and the sound very "tinny". Volume is also very low and we have the TV all the way up to the max. Still, for $399 it's a good value compared to others in it's class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy for the $, just don't expect to be blown away by the sound(TINNY), February 29, 2012
2/29/12- Just received the Toshiba 40" LCD TV yesterday and it does have a nice bright picture and is relatively easy to set up(I have it on the base standing up simply screw in 4 screws). Looks nice with the glossy black finish. I moved up from an Emmerson 32inch 1080p LCD TV to this.

**FIRST Impression**
After setting up I turned the unit on to a high def. channel and the picture is good, nice and crisp; however, when I turn it up I immediately notice the sound being super tinny with no bass. I expected the sound to not be great after reading several reviews, most of the flat panels I have owned have had OK sound, nothing great. This TV is by far the worse sound out of the 3 different brands I have owned, but it does go up to 100 volume level and I have no problems hearing it, its just very tinny like I said. I have read this in the reviews so no big surprise and I am currently shopping a sound bar, which I recommend to make this tv complete. I was surprised my little 32 inch Emmerson had better sound but oh well.
Overall I like the TV and for the money you can not get a name brand TV this size, unless its black friday or some kind of clearance sale and I would rather have a Toshiba brand TV than a Sceptre, Hisense, Coby, or any other off brands that are in this price range.
---I will check in and update after I have gotten some more use out of it. Thanks and I hope this helps!

******UPDATE******

After having a little while I am noticing a little blur and mismatched sound, frame rate is only 60, but my 32 inch had a crisp picture so I am not used to the common LCD blurring problems. For 399 I am not complaining.
******Newer Update*******
Been watching a lot of tv and bluray movies and some gaming. The blu-ray looks like crap compared to my old 32 inch emmerson from walmart and the high def channels on my direct tv look blurry and not crisp. Kind of regretting going cheap, and wish I had a nice clear picture like my old 32 inch. Do not buy if you are used to high end tvs, however if its your first I am sure you will enjoy. Just wished it had a better picture

5.0 out of 5 stars Tv, December 23, 2011
Great TV for the price. I bought it to replace in my dew and it works great. I love the picture and quality of sound.

Toshiba 40E210 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV, Black (2011 Model)
Used & New from: $349.99