Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 25, 2010
I am very happy with my purchase of this TV. The picture is absolutely beautiful. I have a regualar DVD player and it upgrades the picture from this player. Just after setting up the TV, I watched a movie that I saw at the theatre in 3D. The picture was so clear, it appeared as if it were 3D. The only drawback is the sound. I am slightly disappointed but not enough to bring down the rating. I have the DVD player connected to external speakers which make it more like theatre sound. Compared to other tv's I reviewed prior to purchase, the inputs on the Toshiba are also a bonus. It has 4 HDMI, a component, a composite,
USB, LAN and VGA. It also has an SD slot for viewing your pictures from a camera. This is enough for any purpose. The price and features make this TV an excellent buy.
on February 20, 2011
Hello Everyone!

I will share with you a brief but I hope helpful review with you. And I will appreciate your comments regarding to it.

Pros:
PRICE! C'mon you all know between $540 to $590 is a very good price.

4 HDMI, very good quality, I just tested them with my new HDMI Cables attached to my PC and played a 1080p video. Looked great.

GAMING MODE is very good, no delay at all.

120 hz (Clearframe) Rocks! It is a very nice visual addon for this TV

Speakers are good, they are normal and effective, but if you want awesome audio quality buy a home theater.

Video and TV looks great too.

The TV is very light weight.

Nice looking TV.

Remember the TV has other inputs like PC port, usb, component and composite.

Brightness and backlight are also excellent and you can also adjust them.

CONS:

The remote control sometimes didnt get recognized inmediately. But I believe it was because of the bad quality batteries included. I used Nickel-Methal Hybrid batteries and worked totally better (just remember to point to the lower left of the TV)

The menu is kinda difficult to understand, but after you read the manual (I know its boring to do it, but it is needed) and you play a little bit with it, it will be good and with nice options/combinations in order to set the TV the way you want.

--------
TIPS:

I know some of you are having flickering and/or flashing issues, you can get rid of it by TURNING OFF the Film Stabilization.

If you do not like the SOAP OPERA effect in your TV turn off the Film Stabilization option.

Film Stabilization is located in Advanced Picture Settings.

For Support regarding this TV go to the Toshiba Support Website.

Also I recommend the firmware update which can be found at the Toshiba Support Website.

Now the basic question for every review... DO I RECOMMEND THIS TV? .... YES I DO! It is not perfect but it is a very nice one! So do not feel afraid of buying it. It is a very good quality device.
on December 11, 2012
Very fast delivery UPS..excellent price 2 years ago.. This is the second Toshiba I purchased..Picture looks better than my relatives Samsung, Sony etc. easy to use remote control..when can afford it will buy a small Toshiba for my kitchen from this seller..Thanks for a great product at an excellent price.. toshiba is the way to go
on February 26, 2011
I got this Baby for my Bedroom and wow night and day from my old 32 Sony got it from Amazon for 503 which was a sweet price but still worth it under 600
Looks great any every angle in my bedroom and what I love is the out puts are on the left side which is were my computer is on so shorter cords for me.
One other feature I love is the mute it 1/2 volumes first click then mutes on the second.

the only thing I hated was Amazon store card which gave me 36 months zero interest was with GE money who sent a late bill first with interest and terms were for 6 months
The Amazon store card was also hijacked my Amazon credit card as primary payment
on January 29, 2011
***CHANGED TO 4 STARS AS OF 8/8/12***

The TV got buggy for a while (after about a year of owning it), something with the software, but after resetting the TV the software bugs eventually went away. Hopefully it will continue to function properly, but even with the minor software issues I still believe it is well worth the price.

***THIS IS THE ORIGINAL 5 STAR REVIEW***

This TV is probably the best value you'll find for a 40" LCD. The picture quality is very impressive and with "QSound" turned on (in the menu under advanced audio settings) the built-in sound ain't bad either. I do find myself changing the picture settings sometimes when watching sports or movies, but it's worth it because the quality is so good.

Here's a tip when using this TV: Start with one of the pre-set picture modes. Then go into Picture Settings and turn DynaLight off (it's supposed to adjust the brightness as the the picture changes, but there's a lag and it looks like crap) and then just adjust the contrast to your preference. It's a quick and easy way to get the picture looking good right off the bat and you can just adjust the contrast for sports and movies. I rarely have to mess with the other picture settings unless I'm watching a movie with an odd color tint, like Fight Club or the Matrix.

All in all this TV is a great deal, is easy to use, and looks and sounds like it should cost more than it does. Get it!
on August 24, 2012
Bought this for a friend for Christmas in 2010. It's got sound, but only a black screen now, so apparently it's toast. Really?? Not even 2 years?? Shame on Toshiba for only giving a 1 year warranty on their products. A product at this price point should last longer than 2 years.
on March 13, 2011
I bought this TV on a Saturday and received it the following Thursday undamaged. Packing is great, 4 huge Styrofoam corners, and padding on the TV.

My very first LCD flat screen TV, I have been watching a 27 inch CRT TV. Wow, this TV blows that one out of the water. What a different experience. I have my DVD hooked up with component cables, and the people seem as they are going to jump out at you. The only thing that kind of bothers me, is that the movies kind of look like a soap opera kind of picture, but then I read about turning off the clear frame, so I'll give that a try.

The other thing is I have my VCR, DVD and TV hooked up to a Sony surround sound system. The surround sound system works fine, but the only problem is that if I have the TV sound and the surround sound system both on I get an echo, there is a second sound lag between the TV and surround sound. I didn't have that problem when I had my CRT TV. Don't know what to do about the lag.

Anyway, I love this TV, can't wait to get my new Dish HD receiver next week and watch TV in HD.

Also best part is I bought this TV for only $452 at Amazon brand new. Amazon must have been having a sale on this TV, because 2 hours after I bought it, the price went up $127.
on March 27, 2011
Great product.... especially for the price. Bright and clear image, wide range of inputs and setup options. Sound quality is what you might expect from the small on-board speakers, not bad, but not what you want from a home theater system. Using the digital optical audio output from the Toshiba, I added a JVC soundbar with wireless woofer.... now you're talking a great system for a small to medium room. I'm very satisfied with this product.
on March 14, 2011
This is my second Toshiba LCD screen now, and it is lighter than my old 32 inch. It isn't thin as a LED screen, but it is fairly light at 33-34 some pounds.

Picture quality is somewhat lacking, especially when I hooked it up as a HTPC. The colors seemed a bit washed, but that could just because I need to calibrate the TV setting. I watched Community on DVD, and it looked great. 4/5 here.

One thing I found interesting is that nowhere does it mention the TV's contrast ratio or response time. I found out that the response time is 8ms, which is actually worse than most of its competitors. I was a bit disappointed on the Response time, but again, it works fine. I have not experienced any kind of blurring or ghosting as a result of this.

I cannot find anything about the contrast ratio. Given this, I have to say the contrast ratio is OKAY even without looking at the numbers. It's hard to compare it to a Samsung or Sony without having it side by side, but I have little complaints about the contrast ratio.

There has been talks that the screen which Toshiba uses is a-IPS (alpha IPS), I'm not sure if this TV uses a MA, TN or IPS screen. Could be any of the three.

Overall, this TV is a solid 3 1/2 - 4 stars. There are no glaring problems with it (other than a terrible menu screen GUI) nor is it anyway shape or form outstanding. I'm sure there are better TVs out there, but for 450 dollars that I paid for it, it is really hard to beat!
on December 1, 2013
Great TV for the price. The only annoyance I have with this TV is that the volume controls do not seem very receptive to change when it is first powered on. I appreciate all of the HDMI ports and other inputs and outputs on this TV. We purchased a 46" model later of the same options later that year about three years ago and both are going strong.

See 1 answered question