4.0 out of 5 stars Great HDTV for its price, but...
Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:57 Mins
I uploaded a video of the Toshiba 40RV525R displaying some TV, Blu-Ray, and video game. (Just a small reference... obviously not going to be exactly how you see it in real life from a recorded video camera; on top of that, an internet video/low resolution/etc...)

This was my first real HDTV (supporting 1080p). Anyone can get super excited...
Published on July 6, 2009 by Kiyo M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good picture, terrible sound
I have had this TV now for 2 months & overall, I am pleased. It is an entry level HDTV. For that price, getting 1080p resolution is a huge bargain. The TV looks nice & sleek. The setup is a breeze. No adjustments were needed. The picture was bright & sharp right out of the box. The picture quality,while not as awesome as my Sony Bravia which cost me a LOT more, is...
Published on March 12, 2010 by Fauzia Iqbal

4.0 out of 5 stars Great HDTV for its price, but..., July 6, 2009
Length:: 6:57 Mins

This was my first real HDTV (supporting 1080p). Anyone can get super excited over their first HDTV and rate it a 5 star immediately (going from a standard definition to HDTV is definitely a major upgrade to anyone). However, if you're very PICKY like me, you'll be *somewhat* disappointed with the video quality.

If you're like me and have been drooling over the image quality from several of the high-end HDTV models (you know, the ones that cost over $1500-$2000+), on display in retail stores -- and then expecting to get the same quality out of this (okay, it was wishful thinking but you never always know just from prices...), well you'll be disappointed.

When I see those TV, I'd be blown away like I'm seeing directly through a window instead of a TV screen. Naively, I was hoping for that same effect. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible that I would want to return this TV, but "you get what you pay for". (well, technically, it's still a little better than what you pay for... did that make any sense?) Just keep that in mind. For the price, though, I can't really complain so I'm keeping it.

You just won't get that super super sharpness with this. You need to be a couple feet away; up close, for the very picky eyes, you will easily notice the grainy/fuzzy-like-paintbrush/interpolated effect (I hate this...), muddled together than every object being 100% sharp to the minute detail.

The potential of the Blu-Ray image quality is definitely not there. Animation like Wall-E / Final Fantasy Spirits Within Blu-ray looks pretty good, but I'm just not that impressed when watching Dark Knight/Iron Man/Transformers/Black Hawk Down/The Matrix -- even tested it with Planet Earth and Baraka...to list a few. The graininess is just really obvious in all of them. Although, again, I am very picky in image quality.

The D-Sub connection for the PC is really worthless and waste of potential on the monitor; it only supports 1360x768 max. To get full 1920x1080 resolution from a PC, you first need a video card that has a DVI-out and supporting that resolution (or if it has an HDMI out then great).

Second, you need a HDMI male-to-DVI male cable to connect the TV to the PC's video card. I'm quite impressed with how PC games on this TV look at 1080; it easily beats from how games look on PS3. Definitely makes a great Media PC monitor.

Some other thoughts:
* I'm using the regular "rabbit ears" antenna and 1080i shows/channels still look pretty good with it.
* DVDs won't look as sharp like on a standard definition. However, again, if you're far away enough it can look okay. The contrast/blacks are definitely better/more feeling of depth in the picture. *updated thoughts at very below*
* The speakers aren't as bad as I thought. There is some surround sound. The bass is weak, but most built-in speakers are.
* When I first turned it on, 40" seemed really big to me. But after a couple weeks, it's not as big as I thought. It's good enough for a small room, but for a main TV in a large living room, you'll soon definitely want to have something larger. The screen does reflect a little bit.
* I think it's nice that it has 3 HDMI ports, which is more than enough for me. (PS3, PC thru HDMI)
* I really can't tell the difference having the benefit of "game mode" on when I play games.
* I usually turn the auto contrast mode off because it's apparent when it changes its brightness than being subtle. It's pretty annoying.

Pros:
- Good entry level HDTV at an affordable price (I can't believe I paid close to this amount for a small 19" PC monitor just a few years ago... ugh technology)
- Black finish/stand Toshiba logo glows (it can also be turned off through the menu)
- Games look good. (PS3/PC at 1920)
- Excellent for a Media PC monitor (using HDMI)

Cons:
- Doesn't look that great up close. It's not really sharp. It seems to interpolate/very grainy smudgy/"paintbrush"-like effect. (for us really picky-eye buyers)
- D-Sub is essentially worthless at 1360x768 resolution (use DVI-HDMI to connect to your PC!)

Considering this isn't Toshiba's higher REGZA model and the price, it's definitely a good entry level HDTV. Definitely far from a perfect 5 star, but if you're on a budget and not overly picky like me, you should be happy with this.

I recommend getting a HDMI cable too (don't be spending over ten dollars on it!)

Update: I was using the PS3 to playback DVD (it's supposed to upscale). However, I've recently tried playing a DVD back on a Philips DVP5982 (it has 1080p upscaling function also via HDMI) and it did A LOT better job upscaling than the PS3. The difference was quite noticeable. Of course Blu-ray video still has more detail, but the DVD looked almost as good! (depending on the DVD, the compression is still apparent, but properly upscaling that resolution really makes the difference) So I take my comment back about DVD looking not as sharp. Your mileage will definitely vary depending on what player you use, so if you have a better Blu-Ray player than the PS3 (what I used to playback Blu-Ray movies), you may get slightly better results than what I see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tv and value for the price!, July 8, 2009
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I bought this television at best buy a few weeks ago, and I am incredibly happy with it. As stated by other reviewers, this is a SOLID entry level hdtv with only minor drawbacks.

Picture Quality: is GREAT. Those with INCREDIBLY picky eyes will be the ones that sit there and analyze each pixel, but the bottom line is this is a 1080p television and the blu-rays and video games I play through my PS3 (playstation 3) look fantastic. Absolutely can't beat the quality for the price!!

Sound Quality: this is where the tv gets shaky. the sound isn't great, just average. A different reviewer said that flat televisions don't become flat by getting large speakers, very true. you'll want to buy some sort of speaker system to go with the television to get that true theater experience. PERSONALLY, I just use the tv in my 10x12 room so the sound is adequate for me, but i'm still thinking of getting speakers.

Features: the tv has great black levels and colors. you will want to do alot of tweeking right out of the box because all of the factory levels are set so high. Once you get the tv to a good spot, just sit back and enjoy looking at all the cracks and crevices on people's faces. there are some features that I don't think do much, like "game mode" specifically, but they are nice to have.

OVERALL: If this is your first foray into the HDTV world, like it was for me, I would HIGHLY recommend this television. This is especially recommended for those of us on a budget, but wanting to make the move to HD.

4.0 out of 5 stars a solid entry-level LCD..., April 21, 2009
lazza (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
If you are, like I was, looking for a 40"-42" flat screen television for a secondary room (bedroom/den) then this Toshiba is worthy of consideration. The picture quality is very good, its digital tuner is sensitive (ie, brings in lots of stations), and its priced very competitively. My only complaints are:

- you will need to fiddle plenty with the color controls to get something that looks decent. Out of the box I found flesh tones looked very orange-y.
- the audio is fairly weak. Hooking the system up to a stereo/av receiver is almost a necessity.

So when price is considered this Toshiba unit is very good. Take price out of the equation and it is only fair/good. Buying this for a secondary room makes perfect sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry Level HD TV, June 18, 2009
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I've had this TV for three weeks and I'm happy with the quality. I had a relatively small living room so I needed a smaller TV and this model works perfectly. It displays all the HD channels well. Compared to a $3000 Sony I can tell a slight difference but it's marginal. At $700 level you can't really complain.

As other reviews have pointed out the sound isn't impressive, but it works for my small room. If you're looking for something louder you'll have to hook it up to a system.

Overall I'm really happy with the TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, good price, August 5, 2009
S. Schoenherr "Technology Freak" (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I recently purchased this TV from another source (I would have bought it here on Amazon but I got a better financing deal through a chain store's website, not BB).

I actually purchased this one and the 32" model. We are moving and I needed a larger HDTV for my living room to replace a 32" Olevea. I also own a Sony 46" so please don't think I am just doing my comparison to the Olevea. This Toshiba 40" unit is great. First of all, space wise, it takes up little footprint aside from the actual screen space. Some TV's have a huge area to the left and right for speakers or just by design that don't allow for such a fantastic screen size in such a small fitting. My cabinet just barely fits this TV with about a half inch max to spare on either side, which is exactly what I wanted. So I have hooked it up with DirecTV, Xbox360, PS3, and an HD-DVD player and it looks fantastic on everything. What I noticed was the blacks are black first of all. So often you don't really get black, you get a hazy gray. But this is black where black is on the screen. Everything is sharp and fantastic.

I am a guy who watches the news all day while working and grinds away at videogames in my free time. So I stare at screens a lot, and this one is a winner. I tested it with PS3's Killzone and WOW! I also played a couple hours of Fallout3 Mothership Zeta and it looked significantly better than play earlier in the day on the Olevea (or play in the other room on the Sony 46") Unfortunately, this one is going to end up in my living room and not the office area where I work when I move, so I wont be using it as much as the Sony (which is finding its way into the office/den). But when I play the PS3, wii, 360, or watch an HD-DVD, bluray, or upscaled DVD, along with DirecTV HD programming and FIOS HD programming as soon as I can get it again (I'm moving out of FIOS territory and it won't be available there until Jan 2010), I am in for a real treat. Family night will never look so good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the price..., September 29, 2009
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I needed a TV that would fit a 41w x 30h space in my living room, so this Toshiba was almost perfect in that respect.

The TV is nice looking, if a little glossy with the piano black finish. In normal to dim lighting, there's no appreciable reflections, so not a big deal. The sound is merely OK. Expected that, so I connected a digital optical cable from the TV to my Denon receiver; problem solved.

Setup was trivial. Out of the box to watching Monday Night Football in 15 minutes. The Dynamic Contrast under Advanced Settings should be OFF. It's annoying when enabled, which is the default. I changed the Color Temp from Medium to Warm in Standard Mode as well and got a fairly accurate result.

My connected devices area an HD satellite box, an HD TiVO DVR, a DVD player/recorder, and the Denon 3805. The TiVO is getting signal from a Terk HD antenna mounted on the roof. The sat box and TiVO are connected HDMI; the DVD box is component.

So far, I get an excellent HD picture with DirecTV and TiVO. 1080p and 1080i output settings, respectively. With SD programs, and with the DVD at 480p, there's clearly an issue. The picture is soft and a little noisy. The TiVO does a slightly better job; the picture is sharper and the noise is definitely less. This could be a difference in the video scaler chipsets used in the two HD units. HD programs are slightly dimmer with the TiVO as compared to the DirecTV unit.

Right now, I plan to burn the set in for 40-50 hours, then go for a precise calibration using Home Theatre Setup. If I can't get close with that, I think I can borrow a Spyder.

All in all, the set is pretty good. Since we watch more HD programming than SD programming, the SD picture quality isn't an issue. It might be for you. I'll also note that the TV profile for Harmony remotes is good for this model. My first setup of Devices and Activities worked fine for my Harmony 670. The included Toshiba remote is nothing to write home about. No backlight, mushy buttons...average at best.

The bottom line is that this set was $150-200 cheaper than a comparable Sony and looks great with HD programming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid 1080p LCD, July 9, 2009
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I bought this TV as a second 1080p TV for my home. I am using it in my living area. The viewing angles on the TV are very impressive, I am often viewing from a tight angle and fairly far away. I am also using the built in tuner to receive the HD content, this is working quite well. The lack of 120Hz or 240Hz has not been an issue for the day to day news and TV programs we are watching.
Really the only negative thing about the TV is the start-up time. From time to time it seems to take longer to start-up. Other than that aspect, and a slightly shiner finish than I might like, no complaints so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMERICA, F*** YEAH!!, March 15, 2010
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
Well, more like Japan, F*** YEAH!! This TV is everything I thought it would be. I had been researching flat screen's for weeks, and I finally setteled on this because it was the biggest screen I could get for the money. The TV arrived 2 days after placing the order and it was extremely easy to set up. From the time I openend the box until the time I was laying in bed and watching was probably about 15 minutes. The picture quality from my Playstation 3 via a $10 HDMI cable (do not be suckered into paying for an expensive HDMI) looks beautiful. I just swapped out my old cable box for an HD box so I cant wait to see how that looks. My only complaint would be that I was having issues with the VGA cable I purchased to hook my PC up to it. The TV will not always recognize the PC linkup and I have to spend 20 minutes jiggling the cable around. I am guessing that the issue lies with the cable itself and not the TV. I will purchase a better quality cable and see how that works. Other than that, as I stated before, this TV is awesome. The people who say this is good for the spare bedroom must make alot more money than I do because I could not see myself putting this in a guest bedroom unless my guest was some sort of foreign dignitary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent All Around HDTV for Entry Level Consumers, July 13, 2009
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
Purchased this TV for $600. It was the best high dollar value purchase I made in quite some time. Although it is my family's first HDTV, the quality and value of it cannot be denied. As others have pointed out, the colors on the TV gravitate towards the warm/red side, but is easily remedied by the easy to use menu picture settings. One excellent feature of this tv is its Clear QAM tuner, while a standard on most LCDs these days, this particular QAM tuner worked quite well with my area's cable service. The channels are crisp and clear without having to pay for an extra HD service plan. This works out great since I can live with watching HD network channels and use my PS3 for movies etc.

To sum the whole experience up: Once we unpacked and set it up (easily), we were all converted to the HD era. Now we are looking to purchase another larger screen to replace our existing 15 year old 60" projection tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup and great picture, April 11, 2009
This review is from: Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I bought the Toshiba to replace a Sharp LC37D6U that had a defective sound card.

It was very easy to set up right out of the box, great picture and compatiable w my Cox DVR.

So far a very positive experience. Recommend the product

Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV