4.0 out of 5 stars good deal, some limitations
A good TV at a very good price; it does have a couple of issues, which may be no big deal for you, depending on your needs.

Published on October 11, 2010 by Michael L. Earl

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to expectations from Toshiba
Published on October 2, 2010 by Jon D. Vanslyke

4.0 out of 5 stars good deal, some limitations, October 11, 2010
This review is from: Toshiba 46G300U 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (Black Gloss) (Electronics)

Good: The picture is very good, comparable to much more expensive sets, in both standard and high definition. The 120Hz refresh does make a difference, although if, like me, you're accustomed to the slight jitter of high-speed motion on a 60Hz set the smooth motion will seem a little unnatural at first!

It has a good selection of input ports. No real internet connectivity, but I figure that functionality will be obsolete in a couple of year anyway, so it makes more sense for that to be built into a dedicated component or blue-ray player or something similar in any event.

Bad: Power cord is hardwired into the back of the set, rather than being detachable - that was a real nuisance when I was trying to run the cables. More importantly, the internal speakers are pretty poor. Compounding this problem, it has neither analog audio out nor a headphone jack! If your external speaker system/receiver takes digital optical SPDIF ("Toslink"?) connections (most recent ones do), you're good - otherwise you'll need an adapter (Somthing like this: Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter, although mine is still on order so I can't vouch for it yet.)

Still, if you want really good sound, no flat-panel will deliver that, and you could add a $200 soundbar to this to get a system that will have as good a picture and much better sound than more expensive sets. If you already have a good sound system (especially one with optical inputs), this is a very good option for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not one problem, period, October 5, 2010
I purchased this TV about a month ago and have put it through its paces and I must say that for the price I paid ($599 at a local dealership that matched Fry's weekend price)I am pleasantly surprised. The picture is superb and running 1080p Blue Ray discs are incredible. Little loss of signal using high-end HDMI connects however sound is a bit disappointing. I would tend to agree with other reviewers stating that there's a great deal of sound loss using DVDs or games (PS3 and XBox 360). As per the norm, this was solved with a good surround sound system and is no longer an issue. The sound isn't horrible; it just isn't wonderful... it's perfectly adequate for normal TV viewing and only suffers when playing from another source. Blacks are absolutely deep enough for the average user and shouldn't be a cause for concern in the least. Response time is good, the 120Hz helps a bit but does have a tendency to make things appear "soap-opera-ish" when viewing. You can turn the 120Hz off if you prefer...it didn't bother me enough to change the settings. Factory settings are ok- brightness was set appropriately and while I could have left the settings as-is, I had to play with them to get the perfect picture in my mind. Toshibas tend to shade toward the red side so I simply compensated for this idiosyncrasy through the settings and made it a little "cooler" for my preferences. Set-up was a snap- I had it out of the box, set-up and playing in less than 5 minutes. In terms of the stand being kind of flimsy, that's true. But as long as you're not in a position where someone (kids??) could knock the thing over, I don't see this as much of a problem. If you do have this concern- attach it to your wall and it won't be an issue. The thing even shows analog programming without much of a problem which is commonly an issue with some manufacturers. The remote is pretty intuitive with settings easily found, especially if you actually read the owner's manual and learn what you're doing. I would highly recommend this set and give it an overall 4.5 out of 5.

UPDATE: I have owned this television for about 2 months now and have learned a few things that I would like to share. First of all, I am still thrilled with the performance of the television and have to look hard to find something to complain about. In fact, I really have no complaints. The loss of sound volume when changing sources to either Blue-Ray or any of my gaming systems from the cable source is a bit annoying but can be solved by simply increasing/decreasing the volume on the TV. Since I'm running a surround-sound system and rarely use the actual TV volume, it's not much of a concern to me personally but could irritate someone using the TV exclusively for sound. Even with the 120Hz running full-time (it can be switched to a 60Hz setting) I still see ghosting/chopping from certain programs, most notably a golf ball in flight or a long pass in football. No problems with hockey, surprisingly, nor with basketball. I have started using the USB hook-up and love it for everything from my IPod to anything else that I can source from a USB hook. The menu, after careful review, is very user-friendly and in terms of changing settings,etc. offers simplicity at its finest. The remote is a pleasure to use and is extremely intuitive when it comes to settings changes. The computer serial-port hook-up is acceptable, but when you use the HDMI input for your computer, it's amazing. Nothing better than an computer-HDMI hook-up and something like Hulu, TV.com or YouTube on the Toshiba. Takes my computing experiences to a completely different level... I hardly ever use my monitor anymore. I still wholeheartedly recommend this unit, especially if you can get it on the cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awsome, July 1, 2010
Just bought this tv 5 days ago and love it. I used to sell tv's and best buy and circuit city. So i know how toshibas are. they might not be the tv with the most features but definitely you can't beat the quality and price. I looked at many different sets and this one is just an awesome value. Are there better tv's out there? yeah of course. But for the price you can't beat it. It's just awesome. The 120hz on this is very good. The black levels are awesome. It's really thin for being a normal lcd thats in a midrange category.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to expectations from Toshiba, October 2, 2010
I'm a toshiba fan. I own a toshiba laptop and it has been a great computer. However, I was disappointed with toshiba on the quality on this tv. The picture was as good as it gets, couldn't ask for better. The downside was the stand was made of flimsy plastic that felt as if it could break at any moment and the sound was extremely sub par compared to samsungs comparable tv. If picture quality is all you care about then this tv would be a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tv, June 16, 2010
This is three Toshibas that I own one is a 13 dvd combo 8 yrs old in my camper great little tv. The other a 26 lcd nice unit. This 46 is awesome great picture and decent sound. very stylish and light weight. My sony weighed in at 235lbs what a beast. /took Three big men to get it out of house. This toshiba has plenty of outputs for all your needs. Amazon is the place to get this great service and fast delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars Very much worth the price. Great value., January 4, 2011
My roommate bought this TV, and put it in his bedroom (which is about 12' x 14'), and I helped to set it up. Personally, I think that 46 inches is bordering on too big, but from across the room HD shows do look FANTASTIC! SD channels look like the usual crap, varying from show to show, but that is not the TV's fault at all. (Dish network receiver, HDMI connection.) We also have a DVD player connected via the component input, with dvd's progressive scan option turned on (480p). Looks about what you expect of dvd--watchabe from across the room. With dvd player set to 16x9 output, you must choose "full" as the screen size, or else the picture displays as literally 720x480 in the center of the screen.

I LOVE the fact that the TV remembers picture settings for each input. It has some presets for picture (sport, standard, movie, and personal). And switching to a preset does not erase your personal preset settings. One thing tho: you must Must MUST disable "Auto Aspect Ratio". It 'guesses' wrong the screen size for DVD player (top and bottom of menus are chopped off). Also, "Normal" setting for picture size overscans (zooms in) more than just a little bit on the satellite picture. "Native" is the best fit for Dish Network HDTV. IF you leave Auto Aspect Ratio on, then Native setting reverts back to Normal for some reason, maybe when the channel is changed to an SD channel. I have no idea why overscanning should be the Normal setting. I can't imagine a situation where that is necessary. To me, Native should be the default, and Normal should be re-labeled 'Overscan.' There are also other scan size presets ("Theater" settings), presumably for zooming/stretching letterboxed movies, and/or correctly displaying 4x3 material on DVD---but who knows.

The speakers sound better than the speakers in the tv it replaced (an older 27in Sharp CRT), so no complaints there. And, it has PLENTY of volume. If shows aren't loud enough for you, you're either def, or have something connected wrong. There are presets for sound, which resemble EQ presets, but leave those off. I tried "Action" setting while watching Indiana Jones dvd, but the enhanced lows were quite distorted. Best to leave that off so as not to overpower the speakers. There are several special-effect sound settings listed under 3d sound (Theater, arena, church, etc), but they just make it sound like you're in a cave of various sizes. Q sound is a fake surround selection that is separate from the 3d cave sounds. I have it turned on, but I don't notice much difference.

Also, I found the blacks were too crushed, and the whites were too glaring/distorted. I know everyone is impressed by the blackest blacks, but there is such as thing as shades of grey. Bringing down contrast level helped a bit with the distorted whites, but then I found that Dynamic Contrast was set to maximum. Seems it blackens the blacks and whitens the whites to ridiculous levels. I reset it to low and we're much happier.

There are 2 choices for picture Noise Reduction. The first is pretty standard. The other promises to reduce artifacts specifically caused by MPEG compression. Since artifacts differ from channel to channel, and even show to show, I've set it to it's lowest setting. Use these sparingly, unless you like video looking like a low-quality jpeg photo. There are some other settings which I have no clue what to do with. "Film Stabilization" is one. Manual says its to help 'eliminate video shaking'. But what IS video shaking? I've never had a video shake on me before. I thought 120hz (Clear Frame option) was supposed to fix that...unless it means some sort of vertical shaking?? Oh, and mentioning the manual, it's quite good at explaining all the other settings, with helpful pictures of the various menus. I only wish they hadn't separated the video picture settings and the advanced picture settings into different chapters (Same for audio and advanced audio). But that's a very minor complaint. It's a nice little booklet, with both English and French sections. Most manuals suck; this one doesn't suck.

Oh, and for those who don't like "TOSHIBA" lit up on the front, you can turn that off in a menu. I think that is very nice of Toshiba to do. So quit complaining. And the stand is ok. Not sure what the bitching is about there. What do you want?--plastic is plastic. If you want a steel reinforced, jewel-encrusted platinum stand, you're out of luck. Oh, and the manual has good advice on where to place the monitor, as in, on a STURDY table, and out of kids' reach. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDTV, August 17, 2010
I am a first time HDTV buyer, and I ended up getting a great deal on this one. The picture quality is amazing, the sound is great, and it fills up my living room with its awesome HD power! It has just the right amount of extra features. I am very happy with what I got for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT HDTV FROM TOSHIBA, November 11, 2010
Kevin R. Day (Fort Worth,Tx USA) - See all my reviews
This TV will take a normal TV show and make it feel like you are actually in the same room with the actors. You can actually see every freckle and detail on the actors faces. Easy Hdmi hook up for computers and it doesn't miss a beat when syncing the audio from a home movie. You can't go wrong with this set. Sure it's not a 3D tv but think how many times do you want to wear those glasses that give you a headache after the movie is over. If your looking for an awesome TV with phenominal sound and resolution at an affordable price this ones a no brainer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great HD TV!, September 10, 2010
Gary Marotta (Lisle, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
Actually, I would rate the Toshiba at 5 Stars except for the rather anemic speaker system. 10 watts per channel is marginal for regular broadcasts; inadequate to compensate for the volume loss associated with most DVD & Blu-Ray players. Since most of the TVs I looked at share this problem, I guess the manufacturers assume you will add a surround sound system to your new HD TV. (I added a Toshiba BDX-2700 Blu-Ray Player and a JVC TH-BA1 Soundbar System. Now my entertainment system rocks!)

5.0 out of 5 stars first hdtv, November 19, 2010
This is only the 4th week of me having this TV. It has proven to be a very good TV. The colors are vibrant. The sound is more than adequate. The Tv is in my family room right off the kitchen and sits on a 45" stand. It really brings out the room. I would definitely recommend this TV to others.