Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on May 7, 2014
I bought this about a month ago. My first smart TV maybe I can replace my Roku. Nope not all. Although the quality o the picture is very crisp and clear with bright colors. The smart TV part is not good. You only get 3 apps (Netflix,YouTube and Pandora) that's it. I was reading and assume it would be a interacting smart TV kind of like the Toshiba Cloud just strip down. Well it's more like bone dry. They should never market this as a smart TV by any means. I'm giving it 4 stars for the picture quality. But big fat zero for it being a smart TV.
22 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2014
It is NOT a SMART TV. Has limited apps and no Amazon Prime capability. You only get 3 apps (Netflix,YouTube and Pandora).
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2014
I purchased this TV, because I game somewhat competitively. The database at displaylag.com (http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/) has it rated pretty well for an HDTV at only 28 ms. Anything better was either cost or size prohibitive (or a monitor with no speakers). I was going to go for the Vizio M401i-A3, but my local store didn't have it in stock, so I went with this TV (my back-up choice).

My former TV was an old 2008 Sharp Aquos LCD. This TV is noticeably more responsive. I'm able to "whiff punish" a lot better, and react accordingly to what's happening in game.

The TV also doubles as my... TV, and it does a decent job for its price point. Don't expect the smooth motion "soap opera effect," though. The 120hz ClearScan feature reduces blurring from fast paced scenes, but doesn't smooth anything out (so you'll still get that juddering effect on slow/moderate horizontal panning scenes). Still, I watched the World Cup on it, and it looked a lot better than it did on my old TV.

I like the TV. I paid a fair price for what I got, and its serving the purpose I bought it for (low display lag for competitive gaming) rather well.
on November 15, 2014
Have had the TV for a few days now and is great with gaming. COD advanced warfare is great. Set has l lag rating of 28 or 29 depending on the site. Netflix is easy setup and picture is great. The sound is great though an audio output other than the digital would be nice. This is the 3rd Toshiba set I have owned and the old one is still going after 17 years!!!
on December 23, 2014
Pros: nice picture, lightweight tv, looks good and reflexion is very low, very good for a bright piece with windows.

Cons: lacks connectivity. If you don't have HD satellite and HD receiver you will have problem. I was planning to buy the tv first (my first HD tv) and then slowly get the other needed material to enjoy high definition, but I could not wait at all since this TV doesn't work with my old receiver. This TV is ONLY HD.

I also recommend a bigger one. 50-55 inches might be better. 40 inches is surprisingly not that big for this type of television.
on January 11, 2015
The TV was great at first, and it still is...provided I only want to watch TV. However, the apps are, for the most part, useless. My TV is connected to a PS4, so I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime (and also Blu Ray movies) through the PS4.
on August 15, 2014
After about 2 months of use this has been a great t.v. for our family. We are admittedly not very techie, so we probably don't take advantage of all of the features, but the t.v. was very easy to set up and we love the ease of being able to use Netflix. The biggest downside is that the remote is often very slow and occasionally while watching something on netflix, the entire scene freezes and the remote will not work at all. The only solution we've been able to find has been to unplug the entire t.v.
on February 1, 2015
I agree with many other reviews in general. The picture is good, but uneven brightness. The sound system is merely average. The TV won't connect with my wifi, even after several frustrating hours trying manual input, and the help screens are useless. Even so, the three apps included are not enough for me to consider this a "smart" TV. And no, it does not have Internet connectivity. This isn't really a major problem for me, because my PS4 is connected to the TV.

Some of the not mentioned problems I have are screen glare - I need to turn off room lights if I want to see a clear picture, or else the reflected lights are too bright. That's with screen brightness turned all the way up.

The stand is cheap and flimsy plastic, even though it looks metallic in pictures. Luckily this is a very light TV, at 35.1 pounds (15.9 kg) according to info on the box. Still, one accident near the TV or TV stand, and bye-bye TV.

Lastly, and most irritatingly, the warm-up time. My former TV was a Sony Bravia, and it went on almost immediately. Also, a green light on the bottom of the TV turned on when the TV went on. This Toshiba has a very miniscule (approx 1 mm) red light in the bottom right of the metal strip that is lit when the TV is off. This light is tiny and not bright, so it isn't visible a few feet away. When you turn on the TV, the red indicator goes off, but you have to wait about 8.3 seconds (that's with the TV already warmed up for me to turn off and on with a stopwatch) before the word "TOSHIBA" appears on the screen. That's when you know the TV is on. Now, I know that 8.3 seconds doesn't sound like a long time, but I've never had a screen take so long, and I often think that the TV isn't actually on, so I used to press the on button again and turned it off, until I got used to this long lag. Even my old low-def cathode ray tube TVs would make a staticky noise when they came on. I know this sounds really nitpicky, but it's really annoying, especially when guests or kids try to turn on the TV and you feel like a broken record as you repeat over and over, "wait 8 seconds; it'll come on."

I paid only about $450 plus tax, so it's a very good TV for the money, but it definitely isn't worth much more. And if you look carefully, you will find this TV for $450 or so. The only place I saw anyone asking $650 (suggested retail price) was on EBay.
on June 24, 2014
First of all good black levels tv picture very nice in dark rooms, better than LG 6300. Motion blur average, but on the lower end of average. In put lag is low 30.1 msec. With regards to the smart tv aspect of this tv truthfully the term smart tv is not regulated so you can basically add 2 apps and call it smart, but for the price and contrast black levels this tv is great deal. I would recommend this tv over the l2400u model cause of the extra HDMI port so you can connect a roku to it and there you have a great smart tv with features that beat other smart tvs at a lower price.

Now on to other reviews, I don't understand why the lower reviews cause this tv is the SAME basically as there 40 inch L2400U, the only difference this has a smart tv feature and one extra hdmi.

If you look a the 2400 reviews almost 5 stars, so don't know why this is so low.

but go look on you tube and you will see a review by some guys called rtings
on January 31, 2015
Excellent HDTV - Very elegant and simple look, but at the same time very sophisticated - sharp & clear picture, plus good quality sound'
I purchased this TV through Amazon; the service, handling & the delivery was in a superior manner.
I checked practically every TV which is in the market at this time & decided to choose this model of the Toshiba.
This TV even has some advanced features that I did not know existed.
I would recommend this TV to a friend.