4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Affordable Flagship TV
Published 15 months ago by Chantel N. Asson

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on Toshiba TVs
Published 1 month ago by botafogao

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Affordable Flagship TV, September 14, 2013
I bought the Toshiba 65L7350U from Paul's via Amazon and have had the TV for about a month now by the time of writing this review and, I can honestly say that I love this TV. If you read nothing more of this review just know that I highly recommend getting this TV, which is an unbeatable price for the value you're getting. If you want to find out more about why I love this TV, but can only give it 4 out of 5 stars, then just read on.

First: Price and Value - 5 out of 5

The 65L7350U is Toshiba's flagship LED TV for 2013, and it costs just under $1,800.00, when I bought it in August 2013. Almost no other TV manufacture offers a FLAGSHIP TV for such a low price - I think only Vizo and Sharp might have similar deals. However, other big name (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc) flagship LED TVs cost $2,500.00 (at least) to over $3,000.00. I know this because I did extensive research and read many many reviews before I settled on the Toshiba. Besides being a great price, the 65L7350U is an excellent 3D TV (but more on that later), has wireless connectivity, and is Cloud enabled, just to name a few of its value added features.

The size of this TV is also a huge plus. I mean this thing just looks beautiful in my home and the size of the screen leaves nothing to be desired. When I go over to my friends' houses that have 52 inch and 55 inch TVs, those TVs look tiny in comparison to the 65L7350U. The 65L7350U provides the wow-factor and definitely would be the focal point of any living room or home entertainment space - and the styling is very modern and beautiful.

Second: Picture Quality - 5 out of 5

I am an avid gamer and movie watcher, so I was looking for a TV that would display my games and blu-ray movies in glorious 1080p picture quality. This TV does all that perfectly. I must admit however that out of the box, some of the picture settings might be less than ideal. For example, the Dynamic picture setting might be much too dynamic, as every color is heavily exaggerated. With that said, however, the dynamic picture setting has it uses, for example, in Disney movies. I tested Tangled 3D and it looks awesome with the exaggerated colors. I also tested Tintin 3D and that looks fantastic as well. A movie like The Hobbit 3D however just looks a bit wrong on the Dynamic picture setting - but that's easily fixed by simply choosing a different picture setting or doing like I did, setting the picture to my own liking. So colors are awesome, black and white levels are excellent, and there is no color bleeding, strange artifacts, motion blurs or any weird TV stuff - the picture quality is simply really good and I have no complaints. Oh and I must emphasize that this TV does excellent blacks and contrasting whites. I tested Sin City and it looked awesome.

Third: 3D - 4.5 out of 5

I really wasn't a fan of 3D in the home until I bought this TV. As you can see from the movies I mentioned above, I've tested more than a few 3D movies, and I can honestly say that the Toshiba 65L7350U (and my PS3) has made me a fan of home 3D movies. So if you want a TV that does 3D flawlessly at 1080p, I definitely recommend the 65L7350U.

However, one word or warning, and this contributes to the 65L7350U getting just 4 of 5 stars, and that's because the 3D glasses that come with TV are cheap and crappy. They are really cheap and flimsy and break out of the box - seriously, both of mine broke within a week of owning the TV. With that said, however, the glasses or the 3D effect is perfect and still works - it's just that the frame of glasses are either broken or falling off. So, if you decide to buy this TV, be sure to invest in the Toshiba brand 3D glasses which look sturdier.

Fourth: Cloud TV and Apps - 4.5 out of 5

Personally, I think that even though the cloud TV feature works, it ultimate keeps this TV back because of what I perceive to be inadequate hardware (maybe the processor or the RAM). I think the Cloud TV feature makes the TV feel a bit slow and unresponsive. As I said I'm an avid gamer, so I expect my PS3, Xbox and WiiU and other hardware to move and load at a certain pace, but it feels as if the 65L7350U just moves at a split second too slow - but only with regard to the Cloud TV feature. Other people might find the TV's speed is fine, which it just might be, but it's not as fast as a gaming console.

So far as apps are concerned, the 65L7350U has the standard roster of Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, etc. - so not much to say about those. I haven't really tested the apps, simply because I already have these apps enabled on some gaming console which I'm already accustomed to using. So ultimately the Cloud TV and the Apps don't really wow me. However, I can see why someone that doesn't already have these features readily available would see them as an added advantage of the 65L7350U.

Fifth: Sound - 4.5 out of 5

I don't have much to say about the sound from this TV's speakers other than it works and I have no complaints. I have the TV hooked-up to a 5.1 surround sound system so I don't even use the TV's speakers. However, I felt the need to mention the sound from the TV because I've seen some reviews that say this TV has bad sound quality - I don't think it does. I think it sounds like regular TV speakers, nothing more and nothing less.

Overall: 4 out of 5

The TV works great and I love it. The picture quality is excellent and the 3D is the best I've seen on any TV. If the Toshiba 65L7350U was packed in with better 3D glasses and had a speedier hardware, this would be the perfect TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful picture, January 14, 2014
This review is from: Toshiba 58L7350U 58-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED HDTV (Black with gun metal trim) (Electronics)
I picked this TV up shortly before Christmas on sale for under 900! I absolutely love it and I have barely tweaked it. I read many reviews on the tv and ALL of the negative comments had to do with the smart functionality. For me, I want a tv with a great picture. I do not look for a tv manufacturer to produce good software apps for the set. Every device out there can do those functions. If you want a great picture in a very nice sleek set, this will fit the bill. I can't comment on the quality of the software. I would have bought the set if it didn't have any of the bells and whistles and would still be more the completely satisfied with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice TV, January 10, 2014
Love Toshiba and hope this TV will live up to my durability expectations (had three other Toshiba TVs before, one of them for more than 15 years without a single issue - and yes, it was a no-frills CRT).

TV is setup in a finished basement, so dimming the light is not a problem. That said, this is how the picture looks to me:
+) Colors are vivid, can be adjusted with "Movie", "Game", etc... options
+) Darks/Black comes across really dark, I have no complaints there
-) initially I thought I saw a hint of the (in)famous "Tele Novela" effect, but that seems to have vanished (not sure if it's really gone or if my eyes just got used to it)

The Audio leaves me with mixed feelings: The built-in speakers are not the best in the market. But, I do plan to have it hooked up to my stereo in the basement, so it won't bother me. Do plan to get some additional speakers or a soundbar though.

Regarding connectors: I'm missing an analog input - I guess with 65" diameter an analog input is a joke anyway. So, no Wii on this TV - unless I get an HDMI converter for that one...

Display of SD seems to be ok, though I liked it better on my older Regza TV (a 52" TV bought 5 years back). It's definitely better than SD seen on some other HD TVs.

The Smart TV stuff is a mixed bag for me: I'd like to state that the TV came with a wireless keyboard w/ built in touchpad feature - a nice to have. The GUI gives you the feeling of handling a laptop while the display is 10 feet away: I guess there's some sort of Linux running inside. At one occasion handling the internet browser was a pain since hitting ENTER on the keyboard didn't start browsing but brought the URL input keyboard up again - ugh. I'm not planning to use this feature too much. Yet. Maybe if I get used to it and some updates bring improvements.

The TV has a LAN connector - Didn't work with my Gigabit Switch, had to hook it up with my Gigibabit Wireless router, which works flawless since then. Network setup is the standard pain, but the backlit (! Yes, finally) remote helps in conjunction with the keyboard.

The built-in Netflix is a winner - Netflix with one button press. In conjunction with the keyboard searching for titles has become a heck of a lot easier. Unfortunately I was NOT able to get the 3D to work with Netflix when played vie the TV's app. A bit more to it in the next paragraph.

3D: Well, this TV turned a true sceptic (me) to a believer! My PS3 recognized the TV (HDMI connection) and it's 3D capabilities without a single problem right from the start! Put in a 3D Bluray (Avatar of course), select and press Play (3D), TV senses presence of 3D information - and, it's watching 3D from the getgo. No problems, no nothing. What an experience.
The same is true with playing 3D movies from my PS3 Netflilx application: No problems whatsoever. Ever. Again, could not get it to work with the TV's Netflix app.
The 3D glasses that came with it are a complete joke - usable by kids only. I don't have a huge head but those things keep breaking on me all the time - but it can be reattached as easily as it breaks. So, fine, these are for the kids and kids only.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the money, December 2, 2013
I just boought this TV and I saw that it was a bunch less expensive than it's competitors. The video quality is very good, as far as the sound goes, I don't use it lol. I have a 5 speaker bose surround sound speakers with a Valedine sub and a pioneer reciever. All together it is very good. The only reason I left 1 star off is due to the slow response time due to the Cloud features. I also keep getting the set up menu to pull up every time I turn the TV on but I read how to fix it. I like Toshiba and I have had a few of their TV products and they have been good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Picture, Features and Value - Toshiba Beats TCL & Panasonic 58", December 8, 2013
Jay (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
No other TV I researched came close to Toshiba when it came to features, price and picture quality. I have limited space, so I zeroed in on 3 different 58" TVs, which are all strikingly similar in form factor, yet miles apart in execution.

Panasonic TC-L58E60 58" & the TCL LE58FHDE3010 58"

I saw both these TV's with my own eyes in a local shop, and it's no coincidence that both have the letters TCL in their model numbers. Could it be that they're the same TV? Almost. Let's face it, there's only so many places that make a 58" LED display. But that's really where the similarities end. TCL is 2x thicker than both the Panasonic and this Toshiba. I consider it more of the budget version of these similar 58" TVs; no special features to speak of, but nice picture quality.

Panasonic's iteration is the thinnest of the 3, but only beats Toshiba by a mere 0.2 inches; hardly a huge difference there. When I went to see this TV locally, I thought I'd play a little game with myself. I approached the wall of 60 (or so) TVs on display from a distance, and as I drew near, I scanned each of the TVs on display, trying to single out the 2 or 3 that had the best picture amongst what was on display. I figured the TVs with the best picture would catch my eye over the rest. I easily identified 3 TVs that stood out, with the best pictures of the lot: a 50" Sony, a 60" Samsung, and the 58" Panasonic that I came to see in the first place -- cool! I took that to mean I was on the right track with the 58" Panasonic, but something kept gnawing at me. Where's the upgrade?

I have a 50" Panasonic plasma, but it runs real hot, and I'm starting to get some "burn-in" on the screen from my HTPC setup. The plasma is only 6 years old, but I wanted to upgrade to something a little larger and more energy efficient. I liked the idea of sticking with Panasonic, and getting their 58" LED, but again, kept wondering, where's the upgrade? What am I getting out of this new Panasonic that I don't already have with my old one?

Enter Toshiba 58L7350U

I ran across this Toshiba by a fluke here on Amazon. I kept price watching the TCL and Panasonic, and was really set on getting one of them. But then I happened across this Toshiba, and everything clicked in my head -- HERE's the upgrade! This 58" Toshiba was the perfect size, yet added all the features and upgrades I felt were lacking from TCL and Panasonic. Namely, 240hz and 3D.

3D or Not 3D, That Is The Question

And YES, is the answer. At first, I really thought I didn't care about a 3D TV. Nor did I really care about getting a Smart TV; I have an HTPC setup, so who needs Smart TV, when I already got Genius TV!? I liked the idea of saving money with TCL, but didn't trust it. And getting another Panasonic that wasn't much different from the one I already had, just made me question the need to get a new TV in the first place. But Toshiba solved that quandary with this feature rich 3D TV. I've never been all that keen on wearing 3D glasses. But Toshiba sold me.

Fragile 3D Specs

Yup, like other reviewers have mentioned, the 3D glasses included with this TV are very fragile. I wouldn't call them cheap, just poorly executed. They fit fine, even over my Rx glasses, but the arms on them are attached by a very loose hinge. If I'm not careful with them, for sure the arms will pop off of these 3D glasses. I could easily pop them back in, but Toshiba definitely could have designed these better. They fit comfortably, and once I get into what I'm watching, I soon forget I'm even wearing them. The glasses are battery operated with a CR2032 button battery. Just turn them on, and they synchronize with the TV to give stunning 3D images.

2D to 3D

Yup, this TV can convert ANY 2D program to 3D -- and it actually WORKS!! Amazing! I was really waiting for this feature to be a dud, but regular 2D movies and TV shows really do look 3D. Stunning, immersive and comin' right atchya fun! There's warnings about over doing your 3D viewing, and I can believe it. A 2 hour movie in 3D is plenty; any more than that, and I think it'd give me a headache. But fun to know the option is there, any time I wanna add a little something extra to whatever I'm watching.

Excellent Picture Quality

This Toshiba looks better than any TV I've personally seen or owned. The factory setting don't do it any favors though. After much tweaking, here's the settings I personally like:

Picture Mode: Standard
Auto Bright: Off
Dynamic Contrast: High
Edge Enhancer: On
ClearScan: Smooth

I switch the Picture Mode between AutoView and Standard depending on what I'm doing. Late at night, when viewing my PC, I prefer AutoView, because it dims the display and makes it less stark. But for watching TV, movies or daytime computing, I use Standard.

Smart TV vs Genius TV

If a TV with WiFi and an internet connection = Smart TV, then a TV hooked up to a computer as a huge monitor = Genius TV. Personally, I prefer Genius TV. Smart TV is cool, but just doesn't hold a match to the full throttle computing power of an HDMI enabled computer. I played with the Smart TV functions on this TV a little, and often got a "Out of Memory" error after watching just a few videos and clicking between a few screens. Not good. The home page is cool though, and I did setup an account and personalized everything. However, I just can't see using severely hampered Smart TV functions, when I can just connect to my PC, and have everything at my fingertips, no errors, hangs or hiccups. Still, nice to know it's there, just in case.

WiDi - Miracast - Screen Share

Call it what you will, it's cool. I can wirelessly share my Tablet, Kindle HDX and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone's screens with this Toshiba. It actually works quite well, stays connected and looks great. I can see using this feature over the Smart TV pages. Very easy to connect and use -- and all wirelessly. Cool!

USB Wireless Keyboard

It's actually quite nice and works better than my other wireless keyboards. No missed keystrokes, and nicely laid out. The buttons aren't cramped or overly small. And the combo number/touchpad is a great addition. The number pad works the same as on any other keyboard, but has no actual keys, because it doubles as a mouse touchpad. Neat! Runs on batteries and connects fast.

Easy Setup

Just 4 screws to attach the base, connect the HDMI cable, then plug it into the wall -- easy peasy. It has 3 HDMI conveniently located on the back-side edge, and another coming straight out the back, along with all the other connectors. One of the HDMI ports even has ARC to feed the TVs sound into a audio receiver.

Sound Quality

The TVs speakers aren't half bad actually, though they certainly can't hold a match to a true audio system. I have my TV hooked into an A/V Receiver, so I'll never really use the TVs speakers all that much, if ever. TVs are not sound systems, so the audio coming from this one is nothing special; no better or worse than any other TV. But I didn't buy this TV for the speakers.

Modern and Chic

The gunmetal trim and cutout base give this TV a very classy and modern look. And its super thin bezel is an added bonus; it just looks better than a huge honkin' fat TV. The term is flat-panel, not Fat-panel. Nothing against the portly, I just prefer my TVs to be svelte.

Instant On

This TV makes no noise or sound while powering up. My old Panasonic plasma used to make all kinds of loud clicking noises; nothing terrible, but I prefer this stealth Toshiba's power functions.

Great Remote

It's backlit and very well laid out. The buttons aren't spongy, yet have a rubbery feel. They're very tactile and responsive. I'm keeping it close by until I learn all the functions, but will slowly phase it out in favor of my Harmony Remote.

Harmony Compatibility

I have both a Harmony 900 and a Harmony Simple Remote. I was easily able to add this TV to both of those remotes, however, Harmony didn't seem to have an exact match for this TV, so not all of the original remote's functions were available right away. I had to manually program the missing functions using the TVs original remote, however, now that it's set, I'm good to go.

Quick Menu

A fast and easy way to access the most used TV setting at the push of a button. like it!

No Glare

My old plasma had a glass screen, so it was a bit tricky to catch the right viewing angle without any glare. This Toshiba seems to be semi-gloss LED, so the glare issue is non-existent.

Delivery

They used Saia, which I'd never heard of before. But they showed up earlier than expected, and helped me carry the box into the house. No dings or dents on the outer box. It arrived in pristine shape. For what it's worth, the driver seemed genuinely blown away by this TV. Just judging by all the descriptors on the box, he said it was the best TV he'd ever seen. He even wrote down the model number and said he was going to get one himself. He said the TVs he delivers cost a lot more for the same features, and was very impressed, especially when he heard the price. He seemed genuine to me.

The Verdict

This is a fantastic TV, especially for the money. I got this when it was still a couple hundred more than it is right now, but I still think it was a bargain. This is the best, feature rich TV I could find for the money, and the slightly off-standard 58" size has proven to be the perfect fit for my space. Plus, the 2D to 3D conversion is just stunningly amazing! VERY happy with this TV. Awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV For the Price, September 19, 2013
I bought this TV even against the bad reviews. The price sucked me in after spending about a month bouncing back between a 500 dollar more Samsung and this TV. Toshiba 65L7350U

Picture Quality:
They main feature I am looking for is picture quality. This TV has a 5 star picture quality. It is sharp, and there are plenty of ways to adjust the features. Comparing to the Samsung, this TV is equal. It was worth saving the 500 dollars alone just on picture quality.

Wireless Feature:
I saw a review where a person had to keep setting up wireless network each time the TV was turned on. I too had this same problem. I called Toshiba and got through quickly. I was told to push the green and blue buttons twice each once I put my network password in to save the settings and that worked. I do wish that in the on-screen menu it told you to do this or automatically did it. Why wouldn't you want to save the info. (note to Toshiba)

Cloud Features:
This is where the overall 4 stars came in. I do not plan to use the smart features because of DVR box and Apple Tv being my main devices for "cloud" usage, but the Toshiba cloud is still under construction. The web works pretty good, and You Tube app, but most of the other features are just demos. People say it is slow to navigate through the screens, and that is true for the most part. It is not bad, but noticeable. Netflix and Hulu apps are slow to load and operate. Much more fluid on the Apple TV. I think TV's really don't need the "Smart TV or Cloud TV" tags because of most people using satellite, cable, and so on that have all of the features built in to their boxes anyway.

3D glasses:
Another review said that the 3D glasses are cheap and break easily. I agree. One of the glasses was not broke, but had poor build quality. One of the screws that holds the ear peace together was loose, and there is no way to tighten it.

Overall:
If you are looking for Excellent picture quality, and don't plan on using the Smart or Cloud features, then this is a great option. It comes with a keyboard which works great for browsing the internet, but not much else, but this cost another 90 bucks if you go the Samsung route. In my opinion, save the extra 500 hundred and get the Toshiba. Another great feature is it will do over wifi updates to the system. You have to buy the Samsung 8000 series to get this feature, and those comparable TVs are almost 3k.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on Toshiba TVs, November 15, 2014
I was a loyal buyer of Toshiba products. My first-gen 50 inch flat screen Toshiba TV was great. I had it for 7 years without any issues. Based on my previous experience, I decided to buy this TV. What a mistake. This TV is slow, picture is just average, the software has glitches, Wi-Fi is a joke (I must watch Netflix using my dvd player's Wi-Fi because the TV signal gets dropped constantly), Internet browser is slow and Internet signal is lost constantly. The CPU has already been replaced and it is defective again. Customer service is terrible - nice people but they have no clue as to how to assist you. I really made a mistake buying a Toshiba TV. I should have bought a Samsung. Anyway, don't make the costly mistake I made. Toshiba made good TVs but that was in the now long distance past.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 20, 2014 4:56:10 PM PST
Thank you for the review, botafogao, and sorry to hear about the problems with your 65L7350U.

You might want to try setting your TV to its factory defaults. Please see page 103 of the User's Guide (available at support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=4000576 ) for details about how to do that.

Also, please see page 180 of the User's Guide for Wi-Fi configuration help.

If the problems persist, please contact customer support at 800-631-3811 for help with making repair arrangements.

Thanks again for the feedback and sorry for the trouble.

2.0 out of 5 stars Regret the purchase, May 16, 2014
Slow, quirky interface
Doesn't pull in as many channels as prior Samsung
Cloud TV part is confusing at best
Doesn't directly support Amazon Prime - can go the PC route, but then is considered an untrusted device, and won't push HD content
Did I mention slow

5.0 out of 5 stars Cloud TV, February 19, 2014
The 1st TV I received would not connect to the internet. Amazon replaced it and everything is fine. The picture is great, the sound it also outstanding except when watching American Idol. For some reason American Idol background noise is really bad. I'm still working on this problem. The Cloud/internet has so much to offer that it will take a long time to try out everything. Although everything I've tried seems to work very nice. Delivery on this TV was a pain. Even though I live in a city of about 150,000 Amazon sent it to another city 2 hours away and then had to be drive it here, by a 3rd party vendor. So setting up an appointment didn't work cause delivery company only comes here once a week, in the afternoon, same time every week (which happened to be a bad day of the week for me to be at home).

5.0 out of 5 stars tv, February 4, 2014
this TV is great, I have not used it for all of its features yet (including 3-D), but the picture is amazing and very clear. It is a BIG TV, but fits in the family room just fine.