4.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu Ray player
I'm not sure why this gets so many negative reviews. I purchased this player for only $69 on sale. The Wi-Fi works great and video streams perfectly on it. The only negative I had was that it doesn't support subtitles on Netflix. This is a great player for the price!
Published on April 30, 2012 by Mike

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
Published on October 15, 2011 by TVS

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, October 15, 2011
TVS (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba BDX2250 WiFi-Enabled Blu-ray Disc Player, Black (Electronics)
Bought this Blu-Ray player a couple weeks ago on sale. Bottom line is it plays Blu-Ray and DVD disks fine, but the problem with my unit is when you pause the disk for more than a few minutes. Once the screensaver takes control, the unit is basically dead with the only option to go back to the Toshiba menu. You can't un-pause, you can't resume from where you left off, the only buttons that work is "Stop" which is a full stop with the machine forgetting where you were, and "top menu" which takes you back to the Toshiba menu letting you start the disk over. Either way, you are heading into the chapter selector and finding where you left off and re-watching at least some of the movie. If you come to the TV prepared with popcorn, bathrooms done, and all drinks nearby, this isn't an issue, but who doesn't need the occasional bathroom break, or bag of popcorn?

Sound - At least for us, some movie's sound does not translate across the HDMI cable correctly. We have the BOSE system plugged into the TV now (because of this unit's limited ports - i.e. digital audio or even RCA audio) and now we're stuck listening to the TV's speakers. So we've upgraded to a digital video, but downgraded to worse audio. That's not nice...

Internet - Worked fine. Connected, browsed and ran movies. Everything here is to be expected, nothing exceptional, nothing bad. DLNA would have been a great bonus, but if you require it, keep looking!

Wi-Fi - Connected from across the house just fine. It's not N, but will connect B/G just fine which is more than you need for streaming. After I connected, I checked for any firmware upgrades, and there were none available.

Remote Control - Buttons (to me) seemed a little out of order, pause is down below the main rows of controls. If you are in a dark room, forget trying to find a button.

Toshiba Menu - Everything here is as expected. Easy to find stuff, but this is my first experience with this type of system. Controls seem a little laggy, but this isn't a top-of-the-line machine, so it's to be expected.

Functionality - Why is it when you want to eject a disk, you can't ever get it open? This isn't the only system I've seen to frustrate me. Turn on the machine, give it a few seconds to power up, hit eject - nothing. Hit it again - nothing. Two or three more times - nothing. Then randomly the tray comes out 1/4 inch, then goes back in as it digests the back-log of button presses. Toshiba (and other manufacturers), UNDERSTAND THIS, when I turn on the Blu-Ray player, I'm going to want to put a disk in - this is why I turned it on... I don't want to wait a minute while your machine "boots".

All in all, good guest room system - as long as you don't mind frustrating your guests... I wouldn't use this as your daily-watcher. Spend another $20-30 and find a better system. Two stars because it does play Blu-Ray and DVD disks, but it's not a good buy! If you buy, save the box...

For me, this machine is going back to where I bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic Player, October 1, 2011
Picked up this unit from Best Buy in GA. Spent 99.99 on it and just wanted something basic and plain for the living room. Got it home and found out that it didn't have optical support and that is kind of a downer because everything runs from the stereo when we watch movies. Nice little unit if you don't need optical. I may regift it soon or sell it and get an upgrade in a few months.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., October 30, 2011
...which is not a lot. It's small, fairly good looking in a nondescript kind of way, is not riddled with buttons on the front panel, has Wifi and Netflix (nice combo) and a remote with an OK set of buttons.

Speaking of which (the remote that is), it has some weird connectivity problem. I used to own a Samsung DVD with HDD that had a very narrow field of reception, this is better but somewhat unresponsive. Sometimes you have to press a button three or four times before it reacts. Not OK.

And it does not support subtitles for Netflix. Which is lame since it's a very new model released only months ago. Reminds me of Xbox 360: no subtitles support for playback from USB. Why? Bill knows. So, Mr. Toshiba boss; why no subtitles?

Oh and the Wifi, while nice and built in and no problems connecting is very slow on the uptake. Start the device, sit around and wait for it to connect. Not like the Toshiba laptop I'm writing this on which connects super fast.

But strangest of all, I leave it on in Netflix menu, screensaver kicks in. Then it goes into sleep mode. When I wake it from sleep mode I can't get picture from it. The TV finds the signal but the picture is all black. I have to pull the cord and reconnect it before getting picture again.

So do yourself a favour; wait another month, save a few more bucks and buy something else than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK, April 5, 2012
I just got this in the mail today and i am ready to send it back. I went out and bought 200 dollars worth of my favorite movies on blue ray and half of them didnt play or took to long that i dont know it they were going to play at all. i only spent 50 dollars on this device and im still disappointed. i didnt want anything fancy or top of the line i just wanted a blueray player that would play blue ray discs. i took a chance on it and wish i didnt. spend the extra 50 dollars and get one that works. toshiba really screwed up on this one. JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba BDX2250 DO NOT BUY, March 27, 2012
I've had this BRD player for about a month. From the moment I hooked it up it has made WEIRD noises, like its confused. Loved all the features, but again trying access any of them the screen freezes. Try to bypass the remote buttons by pressing buttons on the actual player NADA. I'm looking at a frozen screen right now. TAKING it BACK! I'll try the Sony.
Can you put a negative star rating?

1.0 out of 5 stars Clunker, November 21, 2011
I bought this unit new from Best Buy. Immediately, it was whirring and barely responding to the remote. Within a couple days it stopped working altogether unless I unplugged it then turned it back on. It barely detected my wireless n network. All in all, this is a terrible player from my experience. I returned to Best Buy and purchased a much better Sony 3D blu ray player for only $10 more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk... Please don't buy it! You get so much LESS than you pay for, even with the cheap price! Shame on you, Toshiba!, April 6, 2012
My parents bought one of these for their new home, and the piece of junk has had problems with literally 2 out of every 3 discs we've tried playing with it. I'm not joking, more than 60% of the Blu-Rays have mild-to-severe problems with this player.

It randomly won't display portions of films, the screen will go black for random intervels, or will glitch the picture constantly. The player sounds like an old, beat-up pick-up truck and makes disturbing loud groaning and "clunking" noises that make us worry it's going to damage the discs. In addition, it takes at least 5x longer to load the discs than my PS3 does. The controller barely works at all, and it won't register button presses for 5-10 seconds sometimes, if it even does register them.

It takes up to a full minute to eject discs, I'm not joking. You press "eject" and the player just sits there for 20-60 seconds, before finally ejecting. And because your natural tendency would be to press the button again after a few seconds of it not responding, it will usually just pull the disc back in and re-load the film while you scream in frustration! It took me almost five minutes to get my "The Muppets" blu-Ray out because I had pressed the eject button a few times after it sat there for about 30 seconds doing nothing, and it kept spitting it out then pulling it back in and re-loading it. Also, the player itself is very cheaply built and feels like it weighs less than a pound. It slides all around if you try to push any of the buttons on the front. (which is needed, as the controller doesn't work 90% of the time unless you are in the perfect spot, right in front) I'm worried given its light weight and cheap feel, that it will just shatter like glass if it ever fell off the tv-stand. We just had cable installed the day after getting this, and the cable guy put one of the cable boxes on top of the player, and I'm not kidding, I think the light-weight cable box damaged the blu-ray player, because it's so cheaply made. THIS PLAYER HAS TOO MANY PROBLEMS, AND IS A CHEAP PIECE OF JUNK!

My folks got this for about $80... I wouldn't pay $5 for this piece of trash. It literally doesn't work. They've had it less than a week, and they're going to be returning it tomorrow.

Don't trust the positive reviews, for your own sake! They're either extremely lucky, or they just haven't had the problems YET.

Shame on you, Toshiba! This player is garbage, and should be recalled for not working! You won't be getting our $80, we're getting it refunded!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shuts down every 20-30 minutes, March 27, 2012
The DVD player shuts down every 20 - 30 minutes. It doesn't matter if I play a movie off a DVD or USB. Called Toshiba and they will be sending a replacement in 2 business days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy!, July 12, 2012
I cannot believe toshiba allowed this product on the market. The features would be great if the thing would stay on. The first problem I had was that the player would just lock up and I would have to unplug it and plug it back in. The most annoying thing though is that it keeps shutting off every 30 minutes or so. I use the media player alot so that means i have to start back through all of the directories again and fast forward to where it shut off--a real pain! I just bought this player for the bedroom, so didn't want to spend alot. So, save yourself the headache and spend a couple of extra dollars for a better player.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk, March 16, 2012
I wish I still had the packaging so I could return it.

Problem #1: there is a huge lag with the remote. Like 3-5 seconds or more plus it seems like the remote has to be pointed at it just right to even register.

Problem #2: when playing blu rays it's a bit skippy and also takes forever to even load the movie.

Problem #3: when I try to watch something on Netflix (which is what I use the player for most), again the lag when moving through the menus is horrible. Plus when I try to watch something 50% of the time it will start with just audio and a black screen. I usually have to exit out of Netflix then go back in and try again in order to get sound and a picture. About 10% of the time it will play the picture with no sound. And only about 40% of the time it will play a video correctly on the first try.

I really wish we would have read reviews before shopping for a blu ray player.

Toshiba BDX2250 WiFi-Enabled Blu-ray Disc Player, Black