5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu-Ray player!
Published on October 6, 2011 by K. Gutierrez

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not have built in wi-fi
Published on October 22, 2011 by Scotterz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu-Ray player!, October 6, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba BDX4150 Wi-Fi Ready 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - Black (Electronics)
I hesitated to buy this Blu-ray disc player because there were no reviews on it. The earlier model didn't have good reviews so I was worried this wouldn't be a good one either. However, I bought it because the price was right so I gave it a chance. While I have only had it a couple of days, I can already say I am happy with it. I had no problems hooking it up to the internet and it didn't even have to do an update or anything! The discs play beautifully and I got on Netflix right away. It's also very small and light weight so it is quite attractive.

The only negative thing I will say about it is that it comes Wi-fi ready, but it doesn't come with the wireless adaptor. So I had to go buy one. It cost about $57. Unlike the previous model review though, this one will work with a Netgear one...it doesn't have to be a Toshiba one. I also want to note that if you have an older tv this Blu-ray player will not work for you. I bought it for my bedroom tv which I bought in 2005. While the tv is HD, it is not HDMI and I was unable to connect this disc player to it because it didn't have an HDMI outlet. There also is no place to connect the wires from the player to the tv. The player is basically wireless except for the HDMI cable. I know I'm not technologically savvy, so maybe someone else would automatically have known that when reading the product description. What I ended up doing was moving the old blu-ray player I had (about 2 years old) to my bedroom tv, and using the Toshiba player with the living room tv (which is only a few months old). Everything worked out with the switch. Just thought someone who isn't really tech savvy like me might want to know about that.

If there are any changes with the player given some time then I will revisit this review. For now I will say that I am really happy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not have built in wi-fi, October 22, 2011
This is a good little player, reasonably fast in starting up the movie and the remote has a cool red netflix button which is nice to not have to go through a bunch of menus to get to netflix. The only complaint I have is the description says it has wifi capability but it is not built in. I don't know if you have to buy a separate adapter or what but there is nothing in the menu to connect wireless out of the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and cheap 3D Blu-ray Player, November 6, 2011
I decided to buy this Blu-Ray player because the price is very attractive and the features it offers. Even though the internet conectivity is not ready because it lacks the Wi-Fi adaptor, is a very good bang for the buck. It loads movies very fast and the 3D movies look great and flawlessly.
The only way you can connect this blu-ray player is through HDMI interface, no component video output available, so check for and HDMI input in your TV before you buy this player.
I'm happy for this choice. I really recomend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted a month being used 3 times a week and then croaked., January 18, 2012
This Blu-Ray was our first, and it only lasted a month and then died. Then we had to jump through a bunch of hoops and phone calls and e-mails with Toshiba to get them to send us a replacement. Finally we got it last week. I hope it lasts longer than the first one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not last..., June 13, 2012
This unit runs HOT. I use a fan blowing on the case to keep it cool and it still only lasted six months. Tonight I was playing a 3D BLU-RAY and after 8 minutes it froze up and I had to use my LG player to finish the movie. This is a bummer to me because I like this player with the network and the 3D all in one unit. Now I'm looking again for a unit to buy that I hope will last more than 6 months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba blu-ray, January 11, 2012
I ordered 2 of these for Christmas gifts. I exchanged 1 of them thinking we just got a bad one. The new one also didn't play blu-rays and the other original one quit working after playing once. I would NOT recommend these. I will give a big "thumbs up" to Amazon for their easy returns. We are currently looking for new players but won't buy toshiba again!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it but don't love it = 4 stars, May 14, 2012
Purchased on Amazon on sale for $70.74 which made it a great price for a budget blue ray player. Picture Quality is perfect blue ray quality. I already knew from all other reviews that no wifi adapter was included but just ran an ethernet cable into the room to allow updates and then disconnected it. (even that step was not needed to enhance the blue ray experience, it only added apps or took away apps for the dashboard) I didn't purchase this for live streaming of netflix, or youtube videos. I purchased it because it was blue ray on a budget.

My biggest complaint and only complaint is there is not an audio out to allow you to plug this into your surround sound system. I mean what is the blue ray experience without surround sound? Great picture but okay sound! In most cases the hdtv you hook this up to will allow you to bypass this con but I hooked this into a budget best buy tv that also did not have an audio out for surround sound. For the tv the dvr has audio out so I can watch tv with surround, but the blue ray player does not have a simple fix like that. So before you buy this if you want surround sound make sure your tv has an audio out first, otherwise you will be relying on the sound quality of the internal speakers of the tv you have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Blu-Ray player, good features, too bad about the Wi-Fi, January 29, 2012
Mikeiver (Houston, TEXAS) - See all my reviews
Very nice player with good features. Knew going in that it was without built in Wi-Fi. Was hoping to adapt a D-link Wi-Fi dongle, couldn't get it to work. Toshiba Wi-Fi adapter is available for $50 at Sam's Club on-line. Not bad a bad choice for a total $140 investment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Player - Requires Toshiba Adapter for Wifi, January 7, 2012
Overall, it's a nice player. Boots up and starts playing discs at the same speed as my other Blu-Ray players. It is a tad slow to respond to inputs from the remote, and I have to hold the remote button down for a second or two for the command to register with the player. Initial setup was easy. The menu's are well designed and easy to use. It has one of the best Netflix interfaces I've come across. It seems the picture quality of Netflix streaming video is superior to my other Blu-Ray players. 3D works OK as well. It does not have built in wifi. You have to purchase either a Toshiba WLM-10UB1 or WLM-10NB1 USB wifi adapter. No other wifi adapters will work. Only a handful of merchants currently have them in stock, and many stores list them as discontinued. Every site I've tried, who lists them in the $50 range, has cancelled my order (not in stock). At this moment, I'm looking at $90 for a wifi adapter for a $90 Blu-Ray player. I went through the trouble of making my entire home wireless, but had to run a cable to use this "wifi ready" player. One might be better off spending $150 for the models that definitely have built in wifi.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, December 31, 2011
Great in concept but the unit we received makes the most awful racket and vibrates like crazy, but not consistently with various blu-ray discs. Dvds dont seem to bother it and the online stuff is great but it would be nice if you could connect to hulu and amazon online which are currently not supported by the toshiba os.
Amazon, with their excellent customer service, is sending us a new one which will hopefully not be louder than the highest tv setting when we play blurays in it. I'll try to remember to update my review after we get the new one to let you know if it's a bad product we received or just a malfunctioning unit. If the next one makes the same kind of jet engine racket when we watch blurays though you can bet we'll be returning it for a refund and buying a different brand.
Additionally it's very deceptive for Amazon to show an image of the wifi dongle for the product description. This is a networked and wifi ready unit but does not come with the wifi usb stick as shown in the image.

**UPDATE**

The new player arrived quickly and is not anywhere near as bad as the first which means we must have had a defective unit. That said it's still pretty noisy but one can live with it now. This is a great player with a lot of features for the money but quieter operation and a little more flexibility with the networked aspects of it would make it a five-star product

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›