Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 12, 2011
I bought this Toshiba all-region BD player to replace an older all-region dvd player. I am very satisfied with the results.

Buyers beware - Toshiba DOES NOT sell an all-region player. This model has been modified. If you are concerned about Toshiba's warranties, buy something else. Also, this is all-region only with respect to DVD playback, not BD. It only plays Region-A BDs.

This was quick to set up and the menus were very simple to navigate. The sound and video settings are excellent, allowing me to get the most from my HDMI television. It played every disc I put in it (BD, DVD, Region-2 DVD) quickly, without a long load-time. I was able to skip straight to menus and adjust settings for each movie quickly and efficiently. The remote control is user-friendly, but utterly necessary for basic playback as the console itself only features play/stop/pause and eject buttons. Anything else requires the remote. The USB port is located in the middle of the front of the console for easy access.

I have not owned this item for very long, so this review is written with very little time using it having passed. However, should a problem arise, I will edit my review. If you, the reader, note that I have not edited this review since I first posted it before Xmas 2011, then assume my player is still performing to my satisfaction and my five-star review still stands.
on October 10, 2011
I have had this player for about a week now and it is great. I have family all over the world, so I needed a player that would play international DVDs as well as U.S. Blu Rays. This does everything I need and has a beautiful picture quality. Best of all, it arrived fast.
I got this as a replacement for my old region free DVD player which suddenly stopped working after three years of service. My wife is Japanese, and that means that we watch mostly Region 2 DVDs out of necessity; Region 1 DVDs with Japanese subtitles are rare, and it is no fun limiting what you watch to what American media companies want to import. I figured that if I had to get a new media player, I might as well upgrade to a Blu Ray player while I was at it.

After shopping around, we decided on this "Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-Ray player." This player had the best price for a region free Blu Ray, and even though the Blu Ray player only played Region A, the DVD player was all clear.Like almost all region free players, this isn't an official Toshiba release but a modified version sold by a third party. This means that you generally aren't covered by any warranties. That is just the price you pay for wanting to watch international DVD releases.

I had issues with this player right out of the box. It hooked up easily enough, but whenever I played a CD, DVD, or Blu Ray it was noisy, too noisy to watch. You could hear the disk spinning inside the machine, a noise that continued for as long as the disk was playing. I checked around on a few sites and found that this spinning noise was a common problem with Toshiba players, and when I called Toshiba's technical line they said that the player was probably defective and would need to be returned. This was disappointing, as I really didn't want to go to the trouble of sending it back and waiting for a replacement. Fortunately, the seller was very cool about the issue and offered a replacement.

The only other advice I got was that sometimes these players are off-balance when new, but if you play them for awhile then they will right themselves and fix the problem. I was more hopeful than anything else, but I figured I would use it for a week to see if the screeching stopped. To my surprise, it stopped. I was watching a DVD one day when I noticed "hey, no screeching!" So I ended up not returning it. But it was nice to know I could return it with no questions asked.

Aside from that problem getting started, the player works great. It plays all our American, Japanese, and Chinese DVDs, the few European PAL DVDs that I have, and our Region A Blu Rays, all with no problem whatsoever. Just pop the disk in and watch the movie. The picture and sound are great, with the kind of HD quality I have come to expect.

My only complaint is that I find the remote control hard to use. The buttons aren't laid out in a logical fashion, and it will take me awhile to get used to it. Still, get used to it I will, and that is a tiny, tiny complaint for an otherwise cool machine.
on November 15, 2011
Great player to play Normal DVD's from any Region and Blu-rays from Region A. I have a lot of movies from Europe, and am now getting some blu-rays I'd like to play. This player has been great.
on March 5, 2012
I own the British version of this Blu-ray player, and I bought it purely because it was the cheapest one I could find. Imagine then, my delight at finding out that (with a little work) this player can become region free not only for DVDs, but for Blu-ray discs too! Now, just to clarify - this player is *not* region free out of the box (except for DVDs). However, by searching for and installing the Australian firmware (gotta love the Australian government for making region locking illegal), the BDX1200 becomes capable of playing Blu-rays from any region. The firmware installation is very easy, and once done, all you have to do to switch the player's region (which can be done an unlimited amount of times) is to press Setup 8 5 2 0, which takes you to a menu that allows the changing of DVD and Blu-ray regions.

It's perhaps mildly inconvenient that there's no "All" option for Blu-ray discs (unlike "0" for DVDs), but that's a limitation of the Blu-ray format itself, not the player. It's also perhaps mildly inconvenient that the region-switching menu is "hidden" and requires you to enter that "secret" code, but it's 5 button presses, 10 seconds work at most, and how often will you actually need to switch regions? The only other potential downside is that the player's menus (not disc menus, but the actual player's menus) are only available in English with the Australian firmware, though as an English speaker that's not an issue to me. Otherwise, the picture and sound seem fine to me, the player apparently plays MP3, AVI, and MKV files from USB (I've not tested this feature), it works with BD-Live (again, not tested that feature), and this player can be bought really cheaply!
on February 9, 2012
After failed attempts with couple of new blu ray players from samsung and philips hoping that they will play my international DVD collection, i decided to buy this one. Why cant we watch our personal dvd collection from different continents sitting in one place? It is definitely a custom version from the stickers and the claim the shipper has put up, but how does that matter!? As long as i get the warranty , regular firmware updates and can play DVDs from different regions, i am happy. Usually all new players update firmware as soon as you connect the equipment to LAN. This one didn't update, i guess i have to wait and see if any updates come in. Buyers please note, this player does not have internet applications like netflix, Vudu preinstalled. Blu Ray playback is very good, good picture and color quality and sound. This player does make some disc spinning noise, but hopefully it will lower down in few days of playback. I successfully played DVDs from Region 1,2,5 and 6 and Blu Ray Region A. I hope this player lasts for a long time (seller offers life time warranty for the month of feb 2012). Remote is badly designed (really tiny buttons and low quality plastic). Up-scaling is pretty ok.
on February 3, 2012
As yet I have had no problems with this player. I have several British and Russian DVDs which play as well as region 1 discs. Blu-Ray's load quickly. When I put in a disc that I had played partially several days before, and I had played various other films in the interim, it automatically opened at the point where I had paused it. My only complaint is that the owner's manual is rather small.
on June 13, 2012
I bought the Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray Disc Player because I wanted to be able to play my region 2 DVD's and when I first got the player everything seemed fine and the few discs I tried (region 1 & 2) played fine. Then about a month later I happened to try a PAL disc and it would NOT play. Tried another and same thing, got a message saying it was the wrong region.

I contacted the seller and we attempted to troubleshoot the issue via messages, and finally over the phone and when I was instructed to go into the menu I found the player was not set up as "Region Free" and the tech person admitted as much and said that the player would have to be sent back to be fixed. He advised me to fill out an RMA form and return the player, however, when I filled out the form I was informed that too much time had passed for me to return the item, even though it was not as advertised.

On top of that, the player has now stopped working all together, just a couple months after its purchase. Whenever I put a disc in it makes loud noises and then the disc pops back out.

So I spent over a hundred dollars on a useless piece of junk and have been jerked around by various tech and customer service people from this seller. Needless to say I would NEVER purchase from these people again.
on January 8, 2014
I'm a little more high-tech and I bought a similar model that I converted to region-free myself. I was able to do so for both DVD and Blu-Ray. This comes delivered as region-free for DVD but not for Blu-Ray...and I can't get it to change for Blu-Ray myself. The beauty of this model is that it just works out of the box. Whatever DVDs you pop in will play. It shifts from NTSC to PAL and back with no button-pushing. It plays whatever region DVDs you feed it with no button-pushing. The quality is great -- I haven't encountered any of the noise complaints some others have registered for Toshiba DVD players (except for a different model I once owned and the noise disappeared after two weeks). The nice thing is that I can send DVDs to my mother and I don't have to explain region-coding and video formats to her -- until she loans out one of the foreign DVDs I send to a member of her bible study and then I have lots of 'splaining to do.

Also the customer service was terrific. They answered questions that I had about this player and it turned out that all of their pre-sale promises were accurate, extinguishing the skepticism I had about what they promised this player could do.
on December 17, 2012
When I bought this item it stated that it was multi-regional. My daughter LOVES a lot of British shows (Dr Who, Skins, and their Being Human series) and my husband wanted some DVDs that are available over there, but not here (Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place). So I bought this. Um...no. It plays DVDs great, from the USA. It doesn't play DVD's from anywhere else. That sucks. I tried customer support and got nowhere. Great DVD player, but not multi-regional.

I see they updated the description. Wish they had done it before I purchased mine.