4.0 out of 5 stars Fanless so it runs a little warm
Contrary to the raving ALLCAPSGUY who reviewed this product before I did, this unit comes with an AC adapter and a standard USB 3.0 micro-B cable like this one: C2G / Cables to Go 54176 USB 3.0 A Male to Micro B Male Cable (1 Meter/3.2 Feet, Black) It is not fragile or some sort of mutant cable.

The drive comes with some crappy backup software (NTI Backup Now...
Published 21 months ago by Geek4Life

1.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...Not so fast!
Published 21 months ago by KEG

4.0 out of 5 stars Fanless so it runs a little warm, October 20, 2012

The drive comes with some crappy backup software (NTI Backup Now EZ) that I immediately deleted (but take care not to delete the manual/warranty information that is also on the hard drive--you should copy that to a safe location first). If you look at the reviews for the NTI Backup Now EZ software you will know why nobody uses it except maybe the people still on Windows XP and even then I wouldn't trust it. The drive comes with 3 years warranty, though time will tell how durable they are.

What I don't like about this unit is how it's fanless so it can warm up to about 50 degrees C according to my "HD Sentinel" hard drive monitoring program. On the other hand, the manual says it's built to endure anything up to 60C, and Google did a study where they found that drive failure is not really correlated to temperature (except if you get to the extremes), so I guess it's not a big problem. Another pro: since it's designed to work without a fan, it will work until the hard drive dies, whereas if it was designed to work with a cooling fan, it may die when the cooling fan dies OR when the hard drive dies, whichever comes first.

1.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...Not so fast!, November 3, 2012
KEG (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
Had it for about 4 weeks. No problems. Simple to use, plenty of backup options, even makes a complete image of your harddrive. I want to believe that a home desktop unit like this is more reliable then the portable types which seem to have problems over time with dying. This one is the larger 3.5" and plugs into an outlet for power, so not powered by a USB port or anything. The unit comes on when you get on the computer and seems to sleep when you are not on it. I think this is the right way to go if you value reliability over portability.
*******Update*******
We'll, as fate would have it I have spoken too soon! Just as of this weekend the backup is not completing as it errors out after some percentage complete. Just doesn't finish. I believe some sectors have already gone bad. Called the customer service line and their automatic response is to send you to their website "acclaim.toshiba.com" where you basically have to send it in as a claim. Luckily I am within the 30 day window with Amazon so I am returning it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expect Problems with Windows 7, February 25, 2013
Mike Stefanik (Yucca Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
If you're planning on using this external drive for backups on your Windows 7 system, this drive has some serious flaws. The first issue is that the drive's APM (advanced power management) feature ignores Window's power management controls and will always put the drive to sleep after about 15 minutes, regardless if you configure the system to never power down the drive. And once the drive powers off, the only way to get Windows to recognize the drive again is to reboot the system. That alone makes the drive functionally useless for automated backups.

If you do some searches, you'll find this issue is discussed a lot and people have some workaround with 3rd party utilities (that seem to be hit-and-miss). Toshiba has a utility that is supposed to prevent the drive from sleeping, but it doesn't recognize the 3TB drive. I even tried using the hdparam tool on Linux to disable APM altogether, and that didn't work.

The other issue is that high capacity drives like this use Advanced Format (AF), and if you use the standard Backup and Restore software in Windows 7, you'll get errors. Microsoft has published some fixes to try and address the problem, but a lot of users still report failures. This is not an issue that's specific to Toshiba (it also has been reported with 3 TB Seagate and WD drives), but it's something that you should be aware of if you're primarily interested in backups.

It's a shame, because the drive itself is attractive, quiet and was running cooler than the LaCie that it was going to replace (the USB cable could be longer, but that's a minor thing). However, I purchased it to use with my desktop system that I have configured to do automatic backups at 1AM, and it simply does not work correctly for that. If this is the kind of thing you're looking to buy an external drive for, look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Harddrive, Terrible CS/Tech Support. Doesnt care about your data at all., March 8, 2013
I bought this external to used as a backup for 2 systems, It had constant problems being recognized in Windows 8, even tho it says its now supported. It would take 2 boots to make it visible, since the first would bring up "Unrecognized or Malfunctioning USB 3.0 Device"

These problems went away when plugged into a 2.0 slot but still... I wanted a 3.0 Fast Backup drive, I got a nightmare.

The HD was checked out with HD Tune Pro, SMART settings, every test you could do before I started moving data. once I had about 650 of the 945gigs filled. It began its slow decent into the hell of clicks tings, ticks, and even better.... the External will sometimes make a LOUD siren sound like how your PC Speaker would buzz when you did something wrong or held down a key.

The drive was in a bad way, as I babysat it trying to copy everything back, then it hit a bad sector... Basically froze the entire system if it was plugged in, lost its drive volume name, and said it needed to be formatted to be used.

I am a 15yr+ exp PC tech and this kind of drive performance is why I swore off Seagates, Hatatchi's and Fujitsu's.

All in all, Tech Support call basically went like this, between 3 different phone "techs" that I could barely understand.
------------------------------------------
-My drive thats 75% full with sensitive data is dead.

Tech: send it in for new replacement.

-What about my data? I positively cant lose it, and to top it off a week old drive just completely went DOA

Tech: send it to drive recovery to get data back, but no new drive because you VOID warranty.

-What the hell???? Lose BOTH ways? You make a drive that is unable to be opened without practically destroying it since its unibody with NO screws.

Tech: yes do you want RMA?

-*cue in 5 minutes of an enraged DJ about QoS, lack of help from TS, Inform them that I was planning on buying about 10~15 more if the drive worked well and Tech support was on its game.

Tech : silence for 2 min after I'm done and then *click* hung up on.
---------------------------

So I made the hard choice. I cracked the baby open as cleanly I could. The drive inside is a low quality one, the SATA to USB3.0 conversion chip is small and fragile.

Hooked up to my comp now with SATA, same routine in windows 8, XP, and 7 Pro.

To finally retrieve my data, with only 20gigs corrupted I used my Knoppix CD, GetBackData for NTFS and prayed. but it was slow, but i got almost all of it.

I really wanted to call the Corporate line and explain what happened. But Tech support said I Voided my warranty.

~DJ

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 3 weeks., March 26, 2013
Drive totally failed after 3 weeks (will not power up; not recognized by PC; tested on 3 different PC's)

Although this is a fairly recent addition to the Toshiba Ext HD line, it appears to have been withdrawn from the market by Toshiba. Toshiba was unable to replace the HD.

Toshiba issued a coupon to cover the cost of the product, tax, and shipping cost, which I consider good customer service.

However, I am disappointed at the lack of quality of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, October 25, 2012
jacked UP jazz (Milky Way Galaxy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba 2TB Canvio Desk Desktop External Hard Drive (Black/Black) (HDWC120XK3J1) (Personal Computers)
I opened the box, plugged it in, waited about 30 seconds for my machine to recognize the drive and I immediately began to use it. This is what I expect of an external hard drive. Unfortunately other drives simply are not plug and play for Windows 7 64 bit. A handful of files came preloaded on the drive, I will check them out later, but none of the software appears to be of the annoying variety.

This model has a small blue light on the front to indicate status but nothing about the light is annoying to me. Right now the light is flashing as I as transfer data to it, but I believe the light is solid when not in use. It comes with what appears to be about a four foot power cable and about a 3 foot USB 3 cable. It is equipped little rubber feet so that it can be placed on your desk in either the portrait or landscape position. The unit is very quiet, I cannot detect any noise other than the fan on my laptop chiller. It does not appear to have an on/off switch but I can live with that.

I plan to use the backup software that came with it so the utility of that software could have an impact on my evaluation but right now I am completely satisfied. The previous versions of this drive had pretty good reviews and it appears that this model will be a continuation of the same quality level for this manufacturer.

I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorting through the Silly Reviews; Using on Mac, April 24, 2013
Industry averages say that about 1% of drives are going to fail in the first 3 months, and another 1% are going to fail in the first year of service. So, when people get a drive that fails, and rate it 1-star, it's silly IMO. You were unlucky, that's all.

It also makes it clear why you need to back up essential information on two or more drives to ensure you don't lose it. After year 1, failure rates typically climb to about 8%/year when used heavily in servers. As an auxiliary drive on a desktop computer, failure rates are undoubtedly lower, though I haven't seen any numbers for that application.

There are differences by brand. The studies I've seen have rated Toshiba as more reliable than the industry average. In one 2010 study Hitachi was most reliable (about 2x the industry average), followed by WD and Fujitsu/Toshiba (each roughly 50% better than average, though WD slightly more reliable). Seagate was the least reliable drive of the major vendors (roughly 2x worse than average).

Obviously this study is dated and is rating drives that were sold 3-5 years ago (and a couple of technology generations old). Does this apply specifically to the 3-TB drive? Who knows, but absent any information to the contrary, I use it to shape my preferences.

Since I don't see any inexpensive Hitachi-based drives, I'm perfectly happy with either a WD or a Toshiba drive. Currently the Toshiba is a fair amount cheaper, so it's got my business.

I've now bought two of these drives and so far they've been great.

The drives come formatted NTFS, which is the typical Windows formatting. It takes about 5 minutes to reformat as a Mac drive. Just open Disk Utility and click on the "Erase" tab. Give the drive a name, and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The drive will whirl for a couple of minutes and then it's ready to read and write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Wii U, December 7, 2012
I got the 2TB version and it works fantastic with the Wii U. I've heard that other HDD that people have been trying with the Wii U have slight lag on start up (mostly WD, Seagate drives) but this one has zero lag on startup, it's fantastic! Also the blue led on the drive matches the Wii U's.

1.0 out of 5 stars Second Unit, April 7, 2013
I should have ordered another external HD and not replaced the first one that stopped working after a week. I spent hours backing up my HD on the first Canvio and thank goodness I didn't backup my sensitive stuff. The drive started clicking and beeping and the computer would not recognized it. I tried everything but could not get it to work. Thanks to Amazon's return policy, I returned it for a replacement with speedy delivery. The second Canvio I had for a little more then two weeks when it started clicking and beeping but unfortunately I had backed up all my sensitive financial info onto the drive this time. I couldn't wipe the drive, so I'm not going to return it for a replacement with all my info still on the drive. You just can't trust the manufacture to wipe the drive, I heard stories of possibly where your drive ends up. So out of anger, I took it out side and slammed it up against a retaining wall, childish I know but made me feel a little better about the $ loss.....whew that rant felt good! Hey Toshiba, give me a free Canvio and if works more then a couple of weeks, I will revise my rating...Haha

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate to even give it one star..., May 10, 2013
MsIFP (Southern US) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product in January 2013, after having a Toshiba 180GB hard drive for several years. Since I had no problems with the other Toshiba drive, I felt fairly confident in purchasing this one. Luckily, I purchased the SquareTrade Warranty - because after 4 months (and outside the time frame I could have returned it to Amazon), the drive stopped working. I can't retrieve anything that's on it, because not one computer in this house will recognize the hard drive when it's plugged in. Thank goodness I didn't dump my files off my old computer!

Toshiba has no support whatsoever. There is no troubleshooting, no forum, nothing. I will never buy another Toshiba hard drive - and am a little worried because the laptop I bought in December is also a Toshiba.

Now I have to go through the hassle of filing a claim, getting a refund, and figuring out which hard drive to "try" next. And my files are still stuck on the Toshiba hard drive. I hope I don't have to send back the drive, but I'm sure I will. I'm not thrilled about all that personal stuff being in someone else's hands.

Rate and Discover Movies