4.0 out of 5 stars Fanless so it runs a little warm
Contrary to the raving ALLCAPSGUY who reviewed this product before I did, this unit comes with an AC adapter and a standard USB 3.0 micro-B cable like this one: C2G / Cables to Go 54176 USB 3.0 A Male to Micro B Male Cable (1 Meter/3.2 Feet, Black) It is not fragile or some sort of mutant cable.

The drive comes with some crappy backup software (NTI Backup Now...
Published on October 20, 2012 by Geek4Life

1.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...Not so fast!
Published on November 3, 2012 by KEG

4.0 out of 5 stars Fanless so it runs a little warm, October 20, 2012

The drive comes with some crappy backup software (NTI Backup Now EZ) that I immediately deleted (but take care not to delete the manual/warranty information that is also on the hard drive--you should copy that to a safe location first). If you look at the reviews for the NTI Backup Now EZ software you will know why nobody uses it except maybe the people still on Windows XP and even then I wouldn't trust it. The drive comes with 3 years warranty, though time will tell how durable they are.

What I don't like about this unit is how it's fanless so it can warm up to about 50 degrees C according to my "HD Sentinel" hard drive monitoring program. On the other hand, the manual says it's built to endure anything up to 60C, and Google did a study where they found that drive failure is not really correlated to temperature (except if you get to the extremes), so I guess it's not a big problem. Another pro: since it's designed to work without a fan, it will work until the hard drive dies, whereas if it was designed to work with a cooling fan, it may die when the cooling fan dies OR when the hard drive dies, whichever comes first.

1.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...Not so fast!, November 3, 2012
KEG (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
Had it for about 4 weeks. No problems. Simple to use, plenty of backup options, even makes a complete image of your harddrive. I want to believe that a home desktop unit like this is more reliable then the portable types which seem to have problems over time with dying. This one is the larger 3.5" and plugs into an outlet for power, so not powered by a USB port or anything. The unit comes on when you get on the computer and seems to sleep when you are not on it. I think this is the right way to go if you value reliability over portability.
*******Update*******
We'll, as fate would have it I have spoken too soon! Just as of this weekend the backup is not completing as it errors out after some percentage complete. Just doesn't finish. I believe some sectors have already gone bad. Called the customer service line and their automatic response is to send you to their website "acclaim.toshiba.com" where you basically have to send it in as a claim. Luckily I am within the 30 day window with Amazon so I am returning it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expect Problems with Windows 7, February 25, 2013
Mike Stefanik (Yucca Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
If you're planning on using this external drive for backups on your Windows 7 system, this drive has some serious flaws. The first issue is that the drive's APM (advanced power management) feature ignores Window's power management controls and will always put the drive to sleep after about 15 minutes, regardless if you configure the system to never power down the drive. And once the drive powers off, the only way to get Windows to recognize the drive again is to reboot the system. That alone makes the drive functionally useless for automated backups.

If you do some searches, you'll find this issue is discussed a lot and people have some workaround with 3rd party utilities (that seem to be hit-and-miss). Toshiba has a utility that is supposed to prevent the drive from sleeping, but it doesn't recognize the 3TB drive. I even tried using the hdparam tool on Linux to disable APM altogether, and that didn't work.

The other issue is that high capacity drives like this use Advanced Format (AF), and if you use the standard Backup and Restore software in Windows 7, you'll get errors. Microsoft has published some fixes to try and address the problem, but a lot of users still report failures. This is not an issue that's specific to Toshiba (it also has been reported with 3 TB Seagate and WD drives), but it's something that you should be aware of if you're primarily interested in backups.

It's a shame, because the drive itself is attractive, quiet and was running cooler than the LaCie that it was going to replace (the USB cable could be longer, but that's a minor thing). However, I purchased it to use with my desktop system that I have configured to do automatic backups at 1AM, and it simply does not work correctly for that. If this is the kind of thing you're looking to buy an external drive for, look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Harddrive, Terrible CS/Tech Support. Doesnt care about your data at all., March 8, 2013
I bought this external to used as a backup for 2 systems, It had constant problems being recognized in Windows 8, even tho it says its now supported. It would take 2 boots to make it visible, since the first would bring up "Unrecognized or Malfunctioning USB 3.0 Device"

These problems went away when plugged into a 2.0 slot but still... I wanted a 3.0 Fast Backup drive, I got a nightmare.

The HD was checked out with HD Tune Pro, SMART settings, every test you could do before I started moving data. once I had about 650 of the 945gigs filled. It began its slow decent into the hell of clicks tings, ticks, and even better.... the External will sometimes make a LOUD siren sound like how your PC Speaker would buzz when you did something wrong or held down a key.

The drive was in a bad way, as I babysat it trying to copy everything back, then it hit a bad sector... Basically froze the entire system if it was plugged in, lost its drive volume name, and said it needed to be formatted to be used.

I am a 15yr+ exp PC tech and this kind of drive performance is why I swore off Seagates, Hatatchi's and Fujitsu's.

All in all, Tech Support call basically went like this, between 3 different phone "techs" that I could barely understand.
------------------------------------------
-My drive thats 75% full with sensitive data is dead.

Tech: send it in for new replacement.

-What about my data? I positively cant lose it, and to top it off a week old drive just completely went DOA

Tech: send it to drive recovery to get data back, but no new drive because you VOID warranty.

-What the hell???? Lose BOTH ways? You make a drive that is unable to be opened without practically destroying it since its unibody with NO screws.

Tech: yes do you want RMA?

-*cue in 5 minutes of an enraged DJ about QoS, lack of help from TS, Inform them that I was planning on buying about 10~15 more if the drive worked well and Tech support was on its game.

Tech : silence for 2 min after I'm done and then *click* hung up on.
---------------------------

So I made the hard choice. I cracked the baby open as cleanly I could. The drive inside is a low quality one, the SATA to USB3.0 conversion chip is small and fragile.

Hooked up to my comp now with SATA, same routine in windows 8, XP, and 7 Pro.

To finally retrieve my data, with only 20gigs corrupted I used my Knoppix CD, GetBackData for NTFS and prayed. but it was slow, but i got almost all of it.

I really wanted to call the Corporate line and explain what happened. But Tech support said I Voided my warranty.

~DJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Wii U, December 7, 2012
I got the 2TB version and it works fantastic with the Wii U. I've heard that other HDD that people have been trying with the Wii U have slight lag on start up (mostly WD, Seagate drives) but this one has zero lag on startup, it's fantastic! Also the blue led on the drive matches the Wii U's.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good and a 3 year warranty, October 25, 2012
jacked UP jazz (Milky Way Galaxy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba 2TB Canvio Desk Desktop External Hard Drive (Black/Black) (HDWC120XK3J1) (Personal Computers)
Update 8/5/2014

I was having some computer issues that couldn't be resolved so I was calling the 800 number for every equipment manufacturer in my configuration. The only call that resulted in useful information was the call to Toshiba. It seems they have will take your call 24 hours a day and actually try to assist with their product. What a novel concept! Try to call any tech support line, either in warranty or out, and its usually a bunch of idiots who just want to get rid of you as quickly as possible. I needed another hard drive and so I bought another Toshiba 3TB drive largely on the strength of that tech support encounter. It turns out this was a good move as the new hard works just as smoothly as the first one. Nary a single problem. And with the 3 year warranty on Toshiba hard drives it is an easy call to buy Toshiba drives.

I opened the box, plugged it in, waited about 30 seconds for my machine to recognize the drive and I immediately began to use it. This is what I expect of an external hard drive. Unfortunately other drives simply are not plug and play for Windows 7 64 bit. A handful of files came preloaded on the drive, I will check them out later, but none of the software appears to be of the annoying variety.

This model has a small blue light on the front to indicate status but nothing about the light is annoying to me. Right now the light is flashing as I as transfer data to it, but I believe the light is solid when not in use. It comes with what appears to be about a four foot power cable and about a 3 foot USB 3 cable. It is equipped little rubber feet so that it can be placed on your desk in either the portrait or landscape position. The unit is very quiet, I cannot detect any noise other than the fan on my laptop chiller. It does not appear to have an on/off switch but I can live with that.

I plan to use the backup software that came with it so the utility of that software could have an impact on my evaluation but right now I am completely satisfied. The previous versions of this drive had pretty good reviews and it appears that this model will be a continuation of the same quality level for this manufacturer.

I'm glad I bought it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 3 weeks., March 26, 2013
Drive totally failed after 3 weeks (will not power up; not recognized by PC; tested on 3 different PC's)

Although this is a fairly recent addition to the Toshiba Ext HD line, it appears to have been withdrawn from the market by Toshiba. Toshiba was unable to replace the HD.

Toshiba issued a coupon to cover the cost of the product, tax, and shipping cost, which I consider good customer service.

However, I am disappointed at the lack of quality of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorting through the Silly Reviews; Using on Mac, April 24, 2013
Industry averages say that about 1% of drives are going to fail in the first 3 months, and another 1% are going to fail in the first year of service. So, when people get a drive that fails, and rate it 1-star, it's silly IMO. You were unlucky, that's all.

It also makes it clear why you need to back up essential information on two or more drives to ensure you don't lose it. After year 1, failure rates typically climb to about 8%/year when used heavily in servers. As an auxiliary drive on a desktop computer, failure rates are undoubtedly lower, though I haven't seen any numbers for that application.

There are differences by brand. The studies I've seen have rated Toshiba as more reliable than the industry average. In one 2010 study Hitachi was most reliable (about 2x the industry average), followed by WD and Fujitsu/Toshiba (each roughly 50% better than average, though WD slightly more reliable). Seagate was the least reliable drive of the major vendors (roughly 2x worse than average).

Obviously this study is dated and is rating drives that were sold 3-5 years ago (and a couple of technology generations old). Does this apply specifically to the 3-TB drive? Who knows, but absent any information to the contrary, I use it to shape my preferences.

Since I don't see any inexpensive Hitachi-based drives, I'm perfectly happy with either a WD or a Toshiba drive. Currently the Toshiba is a fair amount cheaper, so it's got my business.

I've now bought two of these drives and so far they've been great.

The drives come formatted NTFS, which is the typical Windows formatting. It takes about 5 minutes to reformat as a Mac drive. Just open Disk Utility and click on the "Erase" tab. Give the drive a name, and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The drive will whirl for a couple of minutes and then it's ready to read and write.

1.0 out of 5 stars If your looking for some good file backup software, January 9, 2013
Final Update 8/28/14: Stay away from this drive it is unreliable. If you go to the Toshiba site and read the reviews it only gets 1 1/2 stars. People are experiencing hard disk failures after 1 year at an alarming rate. That is what happened to me. After about 8 months of very light use. I booted up one morning and the drive only clicks. Windows can't find the drive although it was working for 8 months. I gave up on trying to do system backups see the review below I did earlier this year. I am going to try and get Toshiba to give me my Money back. I bought a Plugable sata HDD Docking station and a new 2TB Hitashi Ultrastar HUA723020ALA641 HDD drive to plug into it. I plugged it in and Windows detected the drive, I formatted the drive as a single partition and it's running great. I have confidence that the Hitashi drive will be better as it gets the best reviews for long term reliability by external testers see[ http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives ]. Now I am going to package up the drive and return it to Toshiba as it has a limited 3 year warranty. Save yourself the grief and stay away from this product. My wife has a Toshiba laptop that seems to be reliable so perhaps this was just a bad product for them but you don't have to be part of the grief.
PS: I am returning the item and Toshiba will only replace the item or give me a coupon to purchase from their store for a value of $218.33. This is a nice amount and I hope I can find something that I want their. The last thing I want is another replacement drive. Their store has quite a markup and I would rather have a cash refund but it is what it is.
**************
I have had this drive since January of 2013 but due to other factors didn't take it out of the box until early 2014. So I have been using the drive for about 8 months. I had hoped to use it to back up my Windows 7 system as well as my personal files and about 100 GB of photographs. I am a fairly serious amateur photographer. At first I was pretty happy about how easily it set up and the drive appeared in the Windows 7 file manager but from then on it was a disappointment. It turns out that Windows doesn't support 3TB drives properly and the system backup would never complete [See below] I finally put a second HDD 500GB I had laying around and used that to back up my system and really only used the Toshiba as a minor storage device. The backup software from Toshiba is terrible, I finally removed it. This drive started running out of room recently and so I needed to upgrade and got the Hitashi described above.
*************
I am updating this review after a year and I must confess that I was not using the drive for a long time for reasons having nothing to do with the drive. I started using it with my desktop computer that runs windows 7 and it works fairly reliably for ordinary backup of files but I started using it to backup the windows 7 operating system and it won't complete the backup reporting error code 0x8078002A. On researching this issue online I found that this is a common problem with 3TB drives and windows has updates to download to windows 7. Toshiba has a PAT application to synchronize the sectors on the drive. I applied all these and found that Windows 7 already had the update and that the hard disk sectors were aligned properly. I am still struggling with this problem since I would like to use the drive to save backup information for all the computers in our house along with other files that are important to me. I am not able to do this. Beware if backing up your hard drive is a goal this may cause you problems with windows 7 or 8.1. I am not saying there is no solution but I have spent some due diligence on the problem and it is not resolved yet. If I get a solution I will post and update to this review and raise my review level. I am deducting two stars from my earlier review as the drive works but not for system backups.
************
I am still evaluating whether the Toshiba 3TB Canvio Desk Desktop External Hard Drive will meet my needs but I noticed that some people are unhappy with the backup software included with the Toshiba. Often these products are not very satisfactory for everyone's needs. I found an open source backup software application that works pretty well for me and its free and doesn't come with any annoying junk advertising. It will sync or backup files, folders or directories based on a scheduled basis and works with windows. It's available at [Google/Search for "Dirsynch Pro open source software" on the web]. There are lots of backup software options but this one works for me quite well on using two separate disc drives on one computer. I want to move to a networked storage device so that all the wireless computers in my house can backup onto this external drive and I think this software is pretty good for that application. The Toshiba drive seems like a good choice for the external drive. I will be using the windows workgroup network sharing service to accomplish using one computer as the server for the drive. The 3 Terabytes seems pretty good for this application. I will update this later to let people know how it turned out.
************
To finally top off this review, the hard drive died after about 7 months. I contacted Toshiba and they credited me with a $218 credit in their store. I could get a replacement drive of the same type or get the credit. I took the credit, which would only last 3 months. I tried to find something in the store that I wanted but the only thing I was interested in was a camcorder but it got terrible reviews. I finally settled on a 32" LED TV that got pretty decent reviews and I am now using it for a computer monitor. The whole experience has not been very satisfying to say the least. Toshiba makes pretty good computers and the TV is good but some of their other products I wouldn't trust. They seem to have quality problems that remain unsolved. I finally replaced the Toshiba with a Plugable USB 3.0 SuperSpeed SATA III Vertical Hard Drive Docking Station. This is working great and I like the Pluggable products. This solutions lets you buy the hard drive and plug into the docking station. I have several old hard drives that I am using as external storage devices. Take a look at Pluggable products on Amazon they are well made. The USB 3.0 works great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba seems to have a problem with this products dependability, October 31, 2013
When I plugged it in it worked great till for no known reason it needed to be reformatted in order to be used. I lost 2 TB of data. When reformatted it only had around 345G of usable space. I went into disc management and saw three partitions. I extended the volume which gave me 1.99TB of usable space on one of two partitions, The second partition is around 750G of non useable space with all the right click menus options to change this grayed out. I returned the product to Toshiba at a cost of $15.00 for shipping and quickly had a replacement. The replacement did not plug and play. It had to be formatted from the start with all the same results as the first one. Again another $15.00 to send it back just to get a coupon to buy something from their web store. I have no need for a 3TB with only 1.99TB of useable space and with two failures... ...I have no confidence in this product. I have several smaller 1T and 1.5T Toshiba usb storage devices that have all been dependable. Do not but the 3TB Canvio!!!! I would give it a negative star count but the system requires at lest one star to use, so it seems.