4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it is advertised somewhat.
I purchased a 2TB version set it up and uploaded my library of movies. Phone worked Tablet worked TV Streamer worked.
But now I want to delete some of the movies and for the life of me can not figure out how to delete anything I uploaded.
Published 14 months ago by Royce Emley

The manufacturer commented on the review below
Published 23 months ago by Goldengate

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Wow - I don't know where to begin- but this thing is a disaster., October 18, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba 3TB Canvio Personal Cloud (HDNB130XKEG1) (Personal Computers)
Below is a long review, so I'll give you the executive summary: The software for this drive is very buggy - crashes often, and does not perform incremental backups or backup anything automatically. Cloud access enabled by an iPhone app has some cool software but unfortunately doesn't work either. I'm sure future software updates will correct these glaring problems but right now this product does not work. Impossible to map this as a drive at least from the user interface menu. One of the worst hardware products I've ever purchased.

[As background and to hopefully establish a little credibility, I've been setting up, configuring and re-building computers for almost 30 years. I don't consider myself an IT expert, but I'm fairly well versed in hardware and software installations and troubleshooting. I have also installed several NAS backup drives and have configured continuous backups for my household computers.]

After a Western Digital My Cloud Live home backup/cloud drive failed after only 3 months, I thought I'd take a risk on this brand new Toshiba cloud drive, just released in September of 2012. It arrived today and I began set up. I plugged it into my router, turned it on, installed the software, rebooted a couple of times, and the software launched with a cool video congratulating me on my purchase and telling me installation was successful. Then, before the video even finished, up popped:

"Unexpected error! Please re-start program after it closes!"

I would see this message several more times as the evening progressed.

I dutifully re-started the program and it found my drive right away and prompted me to set it up... I followed the onscreen prompts and set up a user name and login password. I also downloaded the Canvio App on my iphone (no mention of this app anywhere, I just searched the app store thinking that for remote access there must be an app) and it immediately found the Canvio, and had a really cool interface that would make playing video and music easy.

The desktop software for your PC (Mac is not supported according to the FAQ's on their support site, but is supported according to the user manual, so who knows?) music, video, photo, backup, files, upload. I decided to first test the backup functionality and quickly found that the ONLY OPTION FOR BACKUP IS A FULL SYSTEM BACKUP. And this is a snapshot in time - the software does not run in the background and update your system files - it creates an image and that's it. No incremental backup. And there is NO option to backup specific folders or files only. A call to the support line in a land far away gave me a person named "Mark" who said that only a full system backup is possible.

OK, I thought, well I'll use backup software and map the Canvio and backup that way. "Mark" said that there are no instructions to do that in the user manual or in his training. All he could do was offer to issue a return merchandise authorization.

So backup: not useful. (In the midst of this, the program crashed a few more times and had to be re-started).

I had decided to return this to Amazon already but thought I better check out the Cloud capability since Toshiba bills this as a personal cloud more than a backup (even though there is a backup option on the software menu). The program crashed a few more times as I uploaded one video to the cloud drive. One. Thirty minutes later it is still not showing up on the "videos" tab of the software and there was no confirmation or error message as to whether that video uploaded. (The manual did say there could be a lag when uploading many files, but this was just one 700mb file).

I decided to test the full system backup of my root drive (only option) and the software began backing it up - at 17 mb/s initially and then quickly dropping to 7.3 mb/s despite a 1 GB connection confirmed on the settings status tab. The timer showed about 2.5 hours to backup 70 gb.

It's always dangerous to post a review like this one - people don't like reading negative reviews and the "not helpful" ratings will be high on this one. I always assume one-stars are written by either people who work for a competitor or else people who don't understand how to operate the product they've purchased. I guess I'd fall into that latter category because this thing is a mess. I am surprised a company like Toshiba would even release it. Buyer beware!!

Hope this does help....

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:47:04 PM PST
We apologize for your poor experience with a Toshiba product.

Toshiba strives to provide our customers with the best possible experience and we continually improve our products and software. The latest updated version of Canvio Home software can be downloaded from www.toshibastorage.com/personalcloud . We've provided a video to guide you through the installation process on our support site at www.support.toshiba.com .

Canvio Personal Cloud supports a wide range of devices and operating systems. Links to available software and mobile device apps are available at www.toshibastorage.com/personalcloud .

Backup and disaster recovery capability details are available in the User Manual, available at www.toshibastorage.com/personalcloud or at our support site at www.support.toshiba.com

The Canvio Personal Cloud can be mapped to a drive letter within Windows providing drag and drop and backup capability. Instructions on how to do this are included in the "Support Bulletins" section of our support site at www.support.toshiba.com .

We hope this addresses your concerns. The Canvio Personal Cloud is so much more than just a backup device. It enables both local and remote access to all your digital content. Please visit http://us.toshiba.com/computers/storage/cloud/canvio-personal
to learn more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with MAC and PC data transfer is very slow, December 2, 2012
This product does not work with MAC. At this time Toshiba does not support any Mac computers to work with this Hard Drive. The iPhone Software crashes constantly and forces your phone to reboot.

I had searched for Network drives compatible with PC and Mac in amazon search bar. This product showed up and I purchased it. After installing it, I come to find out it doesn't work with Mac. Beware if you are a Mac user.

The PC software is unastable and very slow. The file transfer is extremely slow.

Very disappointed in both amazon and Toshiba.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad bad software, December 26, 2012
I have high hopes for this product to live up to what it is advertised to do but the software fails badly.

I created multiple accounts so that I could try to keep data from different computers separate,but I am guessing that this caused the problem where the device could no longer be found locally. There are too modes for accessing the cloud, locally for you to do backups of the computer and files/photos/music/videos and remotely which is there to allow you to access files/photos/music/videos and upload 1 at a time. When you have problems connecting locally, it means 1 of 2 things. Either the cloud software is too busy to answer up because it is trying to sort the stored data or it is simply not going to answer up locally. When it simply does not answer up locally, the only recourse that I have found is to reset to default setting and start from scratch. But even that does not work because if you create the same user IDs to work from, you can not upload files/photos/music/videos locally because the software does not find any to upload (I think that it thinks that these files are already uploaded and will not reselect them for upload). You would think that resetting the device to default settings and uninstalling and reinstalling the software would correct this but that is not the case.

I use to be a software tester and if Toshiba had done some testing of the software, they would never have released this product. The problems are easily re-creatable and should have been fixed before the release of the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Toshiba Personal cloud does not work as a personal cloud, December 17, 2012
I could not remote login this cloud. The personal cloud function does not work. After connecting to the router and installing the CD and updating the cloud to the latest software, I can only backup data from my PC which is connected in the same wired network with this Canivo cloud. I tried to log in from my laptop but it could not find the Canivo Cloud even if the software has been updated to the latest. The cloud function of this Toshiba Canivo personal Cloud does not work at all. I do not recommend this product to anyone. One star for this product is too many. This is a bad product. Toshiba should test all functions of this product before they are selling it to customer.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Good, The Less Good and the Wha?, December 11, 2012
UP UPDATE April 17, 2013

In the minds of some of Silicon Valley's cloistered geniuses lies an idea named "The Singularity." That's where people hook their brains up with computers so they can do REALLY Great Stuff. Think Matrix, the movie.

Think of your personal experience with computers. Any kind. Corporate, government, personal. Would YOU want to connect YOUR brain to any computer you've worked with?

The Toshiba Canvio Cloud is the most recent reminder in my life of why The Singularity is definitely the idea, which when put into practice will finally destroy humankind. I love your products Toshiba. I'vw paid many thousands of dollars for them, and been really happy with the dependability and innovation. With the Canvio Cloud, you've done what so many of your competitors have done in the heat of competition. Released a Beta on humankind, heedlessly ignoring the effect a poor software release has on customers trying to do valuable work with it.

I'm sure the engineering team has it working perfectly in the lab. Today, engineering team Chris finally got into his personal cloud hard disk and is removing 70 Gigs of pictures and movies. Music follows tomorrow. This little UNIX box is almost beyond my skill set. After my back up data is backed up, I'll give the little creature one more chance, under one more bunch of IP addressing settings to work as promised.

Meanwhile, the industry has demonstrated once again, Don't drink Singularity Kool-Aid. It will not do what you imagine or hope.

The Tweet on this: Careful Hoss. Follow directions. Gremlins may lurk.

UPDATE, January 16, 2013:

1. The Canvio Unit is set to Z:\ on Microsoft systems. That is the only acceptable drive letter to the Canvio. If the drive is mapped as any other letter, the software will go for an install of a new drive.

2. Once the Canvio gets an IP address, the Operating System of the Canvio treats it as a fixed IP address. Once you get that first IP address, if your router is DHCP, set the router up to reserve the Canvio MAC address to the first Canvio IP address allocated by DHCP.

3. Every machine attaching to the personal cloud must have the Canvio software or an app installed. Every time you use the cloud feature, you must have the cloud PIN, assigned by the Canvio unit, plus a username and password.

IN SUMMARY, December 11, 2011, after four days of Canvio Personal Clouding.

1. This is a pretty good system, allowing the ethernet drive to be a lettered drive and a cloud server at the same time.

2. Cloud and user management tools are robust and generally user understandable and friendly.

3. The automated install sometimes gets into a Smackdown with .net and firewall products.

4. If it suits you, for any cloud, plan system names, user accounts and passwords carefully ahead of time.

5. Once you upload product to Music, Video, Photo, you cannot delete files or thumbnails using the cloud, or any view.

6. Uploaded stuff can be visible only at home, or via the Web.

7. Instead of paying Apple, Carbonite or others to manage a system, a home user gets that job. Do you want that task?

8. Would I buy this product again? At this price point, likely.

DETAIL

Our home has wired ethernet and a wireless server. I back up pictures, music and documents to an external drive with an ethernet (cable/RJ45/CAT5) connection. It's hard to buy a replacement ethernet connected external drive in 2012 without getting a "personal cloud." Tell me Why MUST I have a personal cloud?

Most notes are about Microsoft Operating System points.

Toshiba's products have won us over the last few years. Even though the Canvio ethernet personal cloud is new to the market in 2012, I bought one because the major hard drive manufacturer's ethernet product I bought earlier this year would not attach to my system. Period. My life's too short for days on end of tech support. Enough said about the major hard drive maker's product. I got the Canvio PCloud on the system and operating within two hours.

Canvio PCloud installs a personal cloud plus a drive with a letter to manage like any other hard disk on our home network. The drive installed as Z:/, giving no choice on the drive letter. I can back up to Z:/ with my software of choice, and be done with it. Or set up folders as I wish and use a data transfer tool to copy files. The cloud will store a system image if desired.

If you run more than one computer or device at home, do not be casual about installing any "personal data solutions" on your systems. Reading reviews or online forums about many products, people talk about installing a solution, uploading data, and not seeing their data. Read whatever directions the manufacturer has provided, whomever they might be, download whatever online documentation you may be pointed to, read it, and maybe make a list of critical points, and follow them carefully. I'd suggest choosing your "mother ship" machine for the first install, decide on a personal cloud server name and name the default/first user created for the system, and password. Write it down. Follow manufacuter's guidelines on password creation. The Canvio doesn't like some characters. Don't make the password "password." Change the admin password when things stabilize.

The personal cloud software on the Canvio is by Arcsoft, a big player in the data management world. The Canvio PCloud has a robust set of system management tools. The help documentation provides pretty good guidance. You are getting a full-blown UNIX server and file system components wrapped in a tasteful gray interface. You can get pretty far into the weeds if you choose, or even if you don't choose. There are lots of default install procedures you can do nothing about. Each machine added to the system will get its own file system created on the Canvio, the Canvio install will add file system componenents to your machine: Music, Video, Music, Photo, Files, Backup, Upload. You can manage each machine cloud to be public or private. Each user added will also have file system components created for personal use. Right now, I'm a fan of one default public user. One of the most important choices you get to make on your cloud is allowing it on the world wide web, accessible from anywhere.

SINGING THE MICROSOFT BLUES

I am so eager to get our new stuff going, in such a hurry to use the "Quickstart" guidance, important steps are left out. Don't be like me. Be sure your Microsoft system has the latest patches and the latest .net Framework. The Canvio requires a complete .net 4 install. The .net 4 install is part of the disk installation package, checking your system for the Framework, and upgrading as necessary. Gremlins may still lurk.

Canvio instructs if your machine does not have a DVD or BluRay player, download the install package from the web and run it from your machine's hard disk. One install in our home was on a two year old netbook, with Win7 Home Premium. The anti-virus, Win7 security, or both did not want to run the install software from the default download location. Copied onto the machine's desktop, the install began to run. The downloaded installation package seems to be missing some "install grease," because I could not get the PCloud installed until I connected an external DVD drive to the net book and installed from the disk. Along the way I found out Microsoft released a Beta .net framework on the global user community in 2006, stealing uncountable hours of life from millions of baffled users, pouring near immeasuable amounts of stress hormones into parts of the human population, likely causing a lot of futile anger taken out on various beings, furnishings, and dumb computing hardware.

Like so many items in the Windows universe, I found rebooting useful after my first Canvio Cloud install attempt. This let the drive and default install computer get acquainted, no doubt installed many invisible system components, and gave me a much-needed break. If I recall, a Canvio install window popped up and offered continuing the install. Once I went through that loop, I got into the Cloud interface.

BEWARE MY CLOUD USING BRETHREN

Generally, consciously, I am not a cloud user. In the case of the Canvio PCloud and your very personal stuff, beware. A personal cloud is not really a system back up. For public general use items like music and movie videos there's no problems, they are packaged, finalized products. When it comes to personally created items like pictures, home videos etc. Watch out. Edit first, remove duplicates, upload finished product to cloud. I've found no delete feature for items loaded to the PCloud drive. So far, once it's in the pcloud, it stays. When you get into the file system to delete unwanted photos, duplicate pictures, etc. the files are no longer visible on the personal cloud, but marker icons, annoying to me, for each deleted item remain.

Run some tests with small data sets before you commit 150 gigs of music, video and pictures to your personal cloud. Any make of personal cloud.

CANVIO PCLOUD AND AN iPad

The free PCloud app is in the Apple Store. An iPad synched well with the cloud on our home wifi. I gave the CCloud app permission to auto access the complete photo library on the iPad. Undeletable thumbnails from the iPad photo library live in the cloud system files on the iPad, even after test pics were deleted from the photo library on the iPad. The photos were not auto uploaded to the Canvio Cloud Drive, users make that choice.

SECURITY

You can make the CCloud secure as you wish. You can let the system remember your credentials. You can log in each time. You can make your cloud acessible via web, requiring a security key generated by your personal cloud system. You can make each user's cloud public or private. As adminstrator, you can turn off the disk through the software. Default admin and guest accounts cannot be deleted or renamed on the system. If you're a careful guardian of system security, this is a problem. The default admin account password, thank heavens during initial setup, is "admin" change it once you're comfortable with what's happening.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it is advertised somewhat., July 28, 2013
Royce Emley "Rawice" (Tequesta, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I think it is a great product just file management is lacking. At some point I guess Ill format the drive and do a complete install
as the way to solve what I don't want saved.
The install for me went fine and it shows up on everything most of the time.
I love the fact I have my own cloud but managing it sucks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba denies any tech support, April 12, 2013
After calling 4 people in Toshiba support#, I have concluded that there's no sollution, and I should return the devices. I bought 2 of the 3TB drives off of a warehouse deal from Amazon, I thought it would be a decent price if only for the hard disks as an external drive. Well, this device has failed me on every level of expectation. Amazon sent both of the drives in original boxing though the quick start handbooks were missing. I hooked all up according to the toshiba webpage and installed the software, can't log in as it requires for a pin, tried the second unit, same thing...
Toshiba customer services were frank enough about their limited knowledge of the device, and so they were only trained to read the FAQs to me...
There was this other lady who put me on hold for 20mins and then forwarded my call to a dead number for disconnection. Last but not least, there was a lady who openly claimed that Toshiba offers no tech support, when I asked to speak to her supervisor, I was on hold for 20mins.
This is the last time I buy anything with Toshiba logo on it, I would recommand a device with no brand than one with Toshiba brand.
I am returning these 2 bricks to Amazon and will leave the note that the Toshiba NAS casing has a negative added value to the HDD, I would prefer to break the case and stick the HDD in my comp than to have Toshiba engineering on my network.
About rating, I am seriously looking for a lower rating than one star for this product.
I was going to leave it empty, but the review didn't go through unless I gave Toshiba 1 star, which it does not deserve.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dismal documentation and support, January 13, 2013
All the documentation on this says I can access the cloud on my network from any PC anywhere. No place does it tell you HOW to do this. I have remote access enabled and I get the pin number, but there is nothing in the manual about it. I called Toshiba tech support and that was an absolute nightmare. I had to call back 3 times because ever time I would mention the name of this device suddenly I would be told " our phone connection is very bad " and the rep would hang up. There has to be something out there or someone that can show me what I am missing. Either that, or the access from any PC anywhere is a flat out lie. Buy this at your own risk folks, as it does not have the features they tell you it does and their customer service is total garbage. I probably should not be leaving this review so soon after my last unsuccessful attempt at calling Toshiba for help, but I just feel you all need to know what your getting into if you decide on this device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Software and documentation need major rework, support is a desaster, January 19, 2013
I bougth it to setup a small NAS in my home environment. This means collecting all music/pics/videos at a central place so that we can access from our Laptops and iPad etc, show photos on a DLNA TV, stream music to the WLAN radio in the kitchen and so on. I bought it because of the price tag and I deeply regret. The manual does not tell anything useful, the CD has just a Warranty.doc. I downloaded/installed the client SW. But it does not work at all and always stops with an error message "Internect connection not available" What a joke! We are always online ... Ok, I figured out to identify the IP address of the Canvio in the list of my network router. Entering the IP address in the Windows Explorer allows me now to access the Canvio. But what about the media server? How do I configure it? How do I access it? While my modem at home which has a small build-in media server is visible in the network, Canvio is not. How can I fix this? The manual does not tell you anything about all this. I contacted the support. Their answer was that they have "posted my question" (may be other frustrated users should help me?) I am so glad ... At least I can use it now as a central storage device (a USB drive attached to my modem router would do this job with 1/3 of the price)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really a NAS (In my opinion), January 18, 2013
PigPen4x4 "PP4x4" (Fayetteville, Just south of a sewer...) - See all my reviews
I had one of these in the 1TB version, for about 24 hours.
I needed a network attached storage at my business,
so I can store files of a program I need to use from multiple
computers. The folders are 340GB, and my old laptop that I use in the shop
ain't gonna hold that big of a drive.
My grip is you can only access this through its software.
Though honestly, after a couple hours I boxed it back up
and returned it to the store.
It would not map with Windows in a usable way. It showed up as "Y",
but I could not open it. Never found a setting to be able to either.

Sigh.

PP4x4

Toshiba 3TB Canvio Personal Cloud (HDNB130XKEG1)
Used & New from: $382.59