Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

on August 30, 2015
on January 2, 2014
The majority of the issues are entered around the canvio home software. Just do not use it. it still functions as a standard NAS with a smb share.

This is what you should do when you get it, skip any software it comes with.

After that, map the smb share as a network drive, then use windows explorer to manage files on it. Speeds will not only be faster (30-35MB/s write speeds, and 60-70MB/s read speeds, but it will also allow you to do these speeds when backing up data)

The windows backup tool is limited IO aware. Instead of streaming backups to the NAS, windows backup will compress the data in chunks, and then transfer them to the NAS, thus allowing the full write speeds to be used during a backup.

All in all, to replace all of the functionality of the cnavio home software with the built in windows equivalent, do this (until they fix their software)

1: Map the share as a network drive
2: Set up windows backup (if you are on windows 7 or 8) to save to the NAS. (windows backup is far more effective as it is fully automated and performs incremental backups)
3: It comes with DLNA support so you can still use the software built into windows to stream your media.

Decent write speeds
Good read speeds
Standard NAS functions
For remote access, use FTP

Cons: Canvio home software, luckily it is optional, just don't use it and you will have an awesome NAS for the money.
on July 28, 2013
I purchased a 2TB version set it up and uploaded my library of movies. Phone worked Tablet worked TV Streamer worked.
But now I want to delete some of the movies and for the life of me can not figure out how to delete anything I uploaded.
I think it is a great product just file management is lacking. At some point I guess Ill format the drive and do a complete install
as the way to solve what I don't want saved.
The install for me went fine and it shows up on everything most of the time.
I love the fact I have my own cloud but managing it sucks!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2013
After calling 4 people in Toshiba support#, I have concluded that there's no sollution, and I should return the devices. I bought 2 of the 3TB drives off of a warehouse deal from Amazon, I thought it would be a decent price if only for the hard disks as an external drive. Well, this device has failed me on every level of expectation. Amazon sent both of the drives in original boxing though the quick start handbooks were missing. I hooked all up according to the toshiba webpage and installed the software, can't log in as it requires for a pin, tried the second unit, same thing...
Toshiba customer services were frank enough about their limited knowledge of the device, and so they were only trained to read the FAQs to me...
There was this other lady who put me on hold for 20mins and then forwarded my call to a dead number for disconnection. Last but not least, there was a lady who openly claimed that Toshiba offers no tech support, when I asked to speak to her supervisor, I was on hold for 20mins.
This is the last time I buy anything with Toshiba logo on it, I would recommand a device with no brand than one with Toshiba brand.
I am returning these 2 bricks to Amazon and will leave the note that the Toshiba NAS casing has a negative added value to the HDD, I would prefer to break the case and stick the HDD in my comp than to have Toshiba engineering on my network.
About rating, I am seriously looking for a lower rating than one star for this product.
I was going to leave it empty, but the review didn't go through unless I gave Toshiba 1 star, which it does not deserve.
on January 20, 2013
It took nearly and hour to install software on ONE computer in my network.
It would not install on two others (win xp and win 7)... error after error occured.

It was not accessible over my smart phone either, even-though there was an app from

There is NO tech support, Unless you find an end user with your exact problem in a forum.
I've given up on these type drives, and with Toshiba.
on January 19, 2013
I bougth it to setup a small NAS in my home environment. This means collecting all music/pics/videos at a central place so that we can access from our Laptops and iPad etc, show photos on a DLNA TV, stream music to the WLAN radio in the kitchen and so on. I bought it because of the price tag and I deeply regret. The manual does not tell anything useful, the CD has just a Warranty.doc. I downloaded/installed the client SW. But it does not work at all and always stops with an error message "Internect connection not available" What a joke! We are always online ... Ok, I figured out to identify the IP address of the Canvio in the list of my network router. Entering the IP address in the Windows Explorer allows me now to access the Canvio. But what about the media server? How do I configure it? How do I access it? While my modem at home which has a small build-in media server is visible in the network, Canvio is not. How can I fix this? The manual does not tell you anything about all this. I contacted the support. Their answer was that they have "posted my question" (may be other frustrated users should help me?) I am so glad ... At least I can use it now as a central storage device (a USB drive attached to my modem router would do this job with 1/3 of the price)
on January 18, 2013
I had one of these in the 1TB version, for about 24 hours.
I needed a network attached storage at my business,
so I can store files of a program I need to use from multiple
computers. The folders are 340GB, and my old laptop that I use in the shop
ain't gonna hold that big of a drive.
My grip is you can only access this through its software.
Though honestly, after a couple hours I boxed it back up
and returned it to the store.
It would not map with Windows in a usable way. It showed up as "Y",
but I could not open it. Never found a setting to be able to either.

on January 16, 2013
I have been uploading my files to this drive for several weeks and it has worked wonderfully. Today, I bumped it, it fell off my desk onto the carpet and all is lost. I'm sick. It's a nice drive and we were enjoying it.
on January 13, 2013
All the documentation on this says I can access the cloud on my network from any PC anywhere. No place does it tell you HOW to do this. I have remote access enabled and I get the pin number, but there is nothing in the manual about it. I called Toshiba tech support and that was an absolute nightmare. I had to call back 3 times because ever time I would mention the name of this device suddenly I would be told " our phone connection is very bad " and the rep would hang up. There has to be something out there or someone that can show me what I am missing. Either that, or the access from any PC anywhere is a flat out lie. Buy this at your own risk folks, as it does not have the features they tell you it does and their customer service is total garbage. I probably should not be leaving this review so soon after my last unsuccessful attempt at calling Toshiba for help, but I just feel you all need to know what your getting into if you decide on this device.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012
I have high hopes for this product to live up to what it is advertised to do but the software fails badly.

I created multiple accounts so that I could try to keep data from different computers separate,but I am guessing that this caused the problem where the device could no longer be found locally. There are too modes for accessing the cloud, locally for you to do backups of the computer and files/photos/music/videos and remotely which is there to allow you to access files/photos/music/videos and upload 1 at a time. When you have problems connecting locally, it means 1 of 2 things. Either the cloud software is too busy to answer up because it is trying to sort the stored data or it is simply not going to answer up locally. When it simply does not answer up locally, the only recourse that I have found is to reset to default setting and start from scratch. But even that does not work because if you create the same user IDs to work from, you can not upload files/photos/music/videos locally because the software does not find any to upload (I think that it thinks that these files are already uploaded and will not reselect them for upload). You would think that resetting the device to default settings and uninstalling and reinstalling the software would correct this but that is not the case.

I use to be a software tester and if Toshiba had done some testing of the software, they would never have released this product. The problems are easily re-creatable and should have been fixed before the release of the product.

See 1 answered question