1,164 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Drive, Be Aware of USB 3.0 Requirements
We got this drive for backing up AVCHD movies from our new camcorder (1080HD takes up a lot more room than 720SD). The drive works like a charm and does everything it's supposed to - it's fast, quiet, and has plenty of space. Works fine with USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports.

Some things to consider:

* This is a USB 3.0 device. You can use it on USB 2.0...
Published on November 15, 2011 by Prime Meridian

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed in < 1 Year, Customer Support NIGHTMARE
I must write to express my extreme frustration and dissatisfaction with the customer support service offered by Toshiba.

Published 18 months ago by Jack Y. Kalish

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Drive, Be Aware of USB 3.0 Requirements, November 15, 2011

Some things to consider:

* This is a USB 3.0 device. You can use it on USB 2.0 ports, but USB 3.0 devices are less tolerant of out-of-spec components. Some older USB ports cannot handle the signal and power requirements of a USB 3.0 device. For example, I can plug this drive directly into my HP laptop docking station (USB 2.0) and it works like gold. I plug it into the USB ports on the front of one of my desktop PCs (USB 2.0, connected to the USB header on the motherboard) and all the drive will do is come on, make a clicking sound, and report an error in Windows (not enough power going to the drive). I plug it into a rear USB port on the same desktop with an extension cable and it works like gold again. I suspect this low tolerance for older, out-of-spec USB components is causing the problems other reviewers seem to be having with the drive.

* As others have mentioned, the USB 3.0 cable included with the drive is rather short (~18in). I suspect the short length may have something to do with Toshiba's attempt at mitigating potential problems with older/out-of-spec USB components. I had luck using a USB extension cable, but that was on a USB 2.0 port. Your mileage may vary.

So, two caveats: (1) If you use it with older and/or out-of-spec components you may have some troubleshooting to do; and, (2) the included cable is shorter than others. Neither of those things is worth taking off a whole star.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed in < 1 Year, Customer Support NIGHTMARE, October 5, 2012

This drive worked fine for about a year, and now will no longer mount. Toshiba claims that there is a 3 Year Warranty on the product, which is clearly expressed on the box, and in the pamphlet. Well, I spent 3 hours so far trying to file a warranty claim on the product with no progress. I've called about 5 phone numbers and visited 3 websites, and I just keep getting redirected from one person to another. Nobody can help me, and they even refuse to escalate my call to a manager.

The warranty claim phone number put me on hold for about 35 minutes before I gave up, with no indication at all as to how long I would have to wait, or how many other people are ahead of me!

From my point of view, the warranty that Toshiba claims to offer on their external harddrives is total B.S. It seems that they are purposely making it impossible to file a claim their products. So frustrated and upset after this experience, I will be sure to avoid Toshiba in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Connectivity problem, August 22, 2012
Teresa M. (Petaluma, CA USA) - See all my reviews
After reading the reviews with caveats about poor cable connections, I thought, "those must be older USB ports, and I'm sure it won't be a problem connecting to my new Toshiba Satellite laptop." However, there truly IS a problem with quality control of the cable connectors. The Canvio intermittently lost connectivity, with the problem being on the end of the cable that connects to my laptop USB port. When I swapped the Toshiba cable for the cable from my iomega eGo portable hard drive (also USB 3), the Toshiba Canvio worked perfectly. When I called Toshiba tech support to tell them this, fully expecting that they would send me a functional cable, their response was "We can only help with the drive and the software, not the cables." So, don't expect Toshiba to help you if they supply you with a bad cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars small, low power consumption and just work with no BS involved, March 31, 2012
Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - HDTC610XK3B1 (Black) is what I purchased. I've always liked the Toshiba portables because they are small, have low power consumption and just work with no BS involved. USB 3.0 is a new standard in USB speed, but is backward compatible with the USB 2.0 standard. So if you have USB 3.0 ports on your computer then you can enjoy the speed of the USB 3.0 standard. I have USB 2.0 ports and the drive works at USB 2.0 speeds.

So, here's the reasons that I purchased the drive:

1. Small = The drive is wide as a 1.5 deck of playing cards and thin as a flat dinner plate/dish

2. Low Power Consumption = One single USB attachment is plenty to power the drive... granted the USB port is on a powered USB hub (USB hub has its own power supply plugged into an electrical outlet) or a bus powered USB port on a computer has good power flow to it.

3. No BS = Even though the drive comes with backup software, you do not have to use it.

4. Size = Its got a 1 terabyte (1TB) capacity. Bigger is better IMO(in my opinion it's what I needed and the color that I wanted).

I plugged in the dive and Windows installed the device and recognized it. I reformatted the drive even though it already comes NTFS formatted. NTSF is a file standard file structure format just as FAT or FAT16, on NTSF is better and much more flexible in its use.

Whenever I plug it in, it takes 30-50 seconds for my computer to recognize it, but that might have to do with the USB ports on my computer or the USB cable that came with the drive and not the actual drive (either way, I don't care because it works)!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice little drive, if only the cable ever worked, December 29, 2011
I want to give this drive a glowing review. I simply cannot. It is great in all respects except for one critical one: the USB cable that connects the drive to your computer only works intermittently at best. At first, I thought this was just a defective unit but after some online research and a peek at other Amazon reviews of Toshiba external hard drives, I learned that it is just typical for the product line. If the cable is not laying exactly the right way, is moved in the slightest, or is just in a bad mood, your connection will fail -- subjecting your data to corruption. Unfortunately, this critical flaw required me to buy another product and to soundly reject Toshiba external drives.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another one bites the dust, December 20, 2012
I backup everything onto portable external hard drives... then I back up the portable hard drives with other portable hard drives just in case... a good thing! I have used WD drives and Toshiba drives. I have had no WD HD die even though they are older and and up to 4 years old but I have now had TWO Toshiba HDs die in the last 3 months and they were both less than a year old. I never write reviews on Amazon, in fact this might be my first, but I had to write and warn people not to buy Toshiba drives cos in my experience they just don't last. I will never buy a Toshiba drive again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two units filed in less than 2 months. Why risk it?, February 21, 2012
Toshiba 3 Tb Canvio 3.0 Plus portable external hard disc drive: A positive review written immediately after receiving an item is of little value. A review after using an item for some period of time has greater value. Purchased two in early Dec 2011 at Best Buy. One failed after about three weeks of normal function in early January 2012 and one failed after eight weeks in mid February 2012. Not worth the risk to replace with the same item. Highly recommend avoiding this product. Although they have a three warranty, the cost of the item is nothing compared to the time lost and inconvenience. Why take the risk? I have had no problems with two WD 1Tb Passports in 18 months of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little shirt-pocket hard drive, February 16, 2012
This is a wonderful addition to my storage drives. I also own a Western Digital 1 TB drive, which I made a slight comparison to. Both drives are small and require no bulky power supplies. The Toshiba drive has a detachable USB cable, which the WD does not, and the cable is well built to stay tightly in. I also prefer the drive access light on the Toshiba. I haven't tried the 3.0 USB feature, as my computers are a bit old and only have 2.0. The drive works on 2.0 as well as 3.0, and I didn't notice mush difference in speed. If I had to purchase another drive, and both drives were the same price, I would purchase the Toshiba for sure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Drive never shifts out of park., January 23, 2013
Emma Mann (Santa Rosa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - HDTC610XR3B1 (Red) (Personal Computers)
The Toshiba Canvio External drive leaves a great deal to be desired in a product that is supposed to make the user feel safe and protected. After purchasing this unit with some concern given the other product reviews, I was extremely disappointed to realize that the flaws noted were in fact not a possibility but the norm. The main reason people purchase an external drive is to protect their valuable data, to feel safe, to know with confidence that their information is secure. I cannot say for sure if it’s the drive but my suspicion after reading the experiences of others is that it is a faulty cable. While the drive eventually connected initially, it did so only once; I then tried on three other computers only to have it connect sporadically. Even a fair amount of jostling , the cable only allowed it to be read as a device available for storage about 20% of the time. When one has to jostle, kick or hit a sensitive device to get it to function it is clear that not enough time was put into product development. This device which was intended to make people feel safe is a big disappointment and that it is still sold given the negative feedback and at a price point near $100 is an indication of the quality that Toshiba is offering. Toshiba needs to fix their cable and apologize to their customers for this inferior offering. The design is great as it is stylish and attractive but for a unit that needs to perform it falls far short of the mark. I would highly recommend against the purchase of this unit if you need to protect your important files or data. If you however need a stylish accessory to prop up your wobbly coffee table then you have found your answer.

4.0 out of 5 stars I TB Toshiba Canvio and MacBook Air, May 27, 2012
Ekaya (Davis, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased a 1TB Toshiba Canvio 3.0 plus from Best Buy. As noted by other reviewers this portable drive will not mount when plugged into a USB port on a Macbook Air (in my case a 13" 2011 model) after you have reformatted it for a Mac OSX (Lion in my case). It does mount on my MacPro. I found that if you insert the Drive in a USB hub (for example the IOGEAR USB2 Microhub, which is unpowered), the Toshiba drive does mount! With the current sale at BestBuy you can pick up these drives for $90- incredible deal- worth it in my view for the minor inconvenience of having to use a micro USB hub.

ARRAY(0x9e2c35d0)