Questions & Answers
Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder (Black)
by Toshiba
3.7 out of 5 stars (1,754)
$309.90
Add to cart
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 1000+ questions
votes
Yep, it has the VHS player on the left and DVD player on the right. Follow the instructions from Amazon reviewer G.B. Packert to learn how to use it; the enclosed instructions aren't that helpful. I was able to transfer VHS taps to DVD-R cds (brand I used was Maxell DVD-R blank cds). I also use it as my main DVD player, works better than my old DVD player.
Dec 16, 2013 by Tribute
votes
yes, you can eject a VHS tape on the unit by flip down the cover. press Select (toggle button for VCR and DVD - green light indicator on either VCR or DVD), press Eject/Stop button (same button).
Oct 20, 2013 by #iAmAmazonPrime
votes
DVR simply stands for Digital Video Recorder and this is a digital video recorder, in that it records digital video. The original units introduced many years ago used a hard drive since blank DVD media (or any other media) wasn't common or even available then. The term DVR was coined to define the action of the product (since it recorded digital video, just like VCR was a Video Casette Recorder). But DVR does not indicate any specific 'media' used to record. People have just associated the term DVR with a hard drive because that is what they had become accustomed to. Just because everyone calls a tissue a Kleenex, it doesn't define the product.
Oct 11, 2014 by K. Monsell
vote
Yes, you can play dvds on a dvd recorder.
Jun 5, 2014 by Craig E. Newton
vote
I hooked mine up direct and it worked fine
Sep 15, 2013 by W. tarwater
vote
Each time you push the "HDMI" button at the top of the remote the apect ratio changes slightly but still looks like 16:9 until you get to the almost square shape which must be 4:3. It's the third deck I've tried that has upscaling and it's the only one that provides the correct aspect ratio - the others, a Sony and Panasonic only had that incorrect stretched out 16:9 aspect. It's also the best upscaling quality I've seen.
Dec 20, 2012 by Gerald J Voron
vote
Yes, you can convert VHS tapes to DVD. You just have to be careful to make sure to set the DVD recording to SP for a T120 length tape. Use the record mode button on the remote to set that setting with the DVD function selected. You can record up to 480 minutes of video on a standard DVD. The word of warning is that the longer record times reduces video quality. I have found the SP mode produces the same quality of video as my VHS camcorder and works well with purchased kids movies. I use DVD-R disk as I do not intend to erase or rewrite over the disk. The unit will accept the various formats, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+ or -RW. Only the DVD-RW has to be formatted first, before starting to record to it. If your tv has a component audio/video output, i.e., red, white and yellow jacks on the back and it may not, most only have inputs for component audio and video, yes you can. IF, you have a satellite receiver or cable box, they have these type output connectors on them as well as HDMI, the newer digital video/audio interfaces used in HD. This unit has the input and output ports to connect it in between a cable or satellite tuner box and the TV. The supplied manual shows how to connect the unit in various configurations, depending on the TV. The unit comes with supplied component audio/video cables to connect the unit to the satellite/cable boxes and your TV. If you are not using a tuner box, but an antenna and your TV doesn't have a set of component audio/video output jacks, then your not going to be able to do anything but use as a player, use to convert old VHS tapes to DVD or as a DVD player for movies.
Jul 21, 2014 by Ralph E. Spooner
vote
GB Packerts advice? Aug 26, 2014
Actually, the instructions that I printed off didn't include his name but the first paragraph starts out, "I bought this DVD recorder to copy many old family home movies on videocassettes to DVD's. Our home movies date back to 1988." I hope this helps you find the instructions because they're invaluable! One thing I had to make sure I learned that when I was copying from VHS to DVD, I had to press DUB instead of record!
Aug 26, 2014 by Laurie Hamilton
vote
1. Because old videotapes may not track well when they have been unused for several years, fast forward to the end of the tape and rewind the tape before attempting to copy it. The recorder may refuse to copy a tape if it does not track well. 2. Eject the videotape. Apparently Toshiba DVRs (both the 610 and 620) can balk if the videotape is inserted before the DVD. 3. Push the DVD button and insert the blank DVD. 4. Press Record Mode (not Record) button and set the speed (I use SP). 5. Press the Setup button and select Recording. Select Dubbing Mode. Select VCR > DVD. 6. Press the VCR button and insert the videotape. Press Play and then Pause (not Stop) at the point slightly before you wish to start copying. 7. Press the Dubbing button. Push Stop when you want to stop dubbing. You can then insert another videotape to dub onto the same DVD, until it is full. 8. You can add titles on the DVD disk with the Top Menu button by selecting the part you wish to title and clicking on Edit and Edit Title. 9. After adding titles, you should finalize the DVD by pressing the Setup button, selecting DVD Menu and then Finalize (this may take a few minutes). Then you should be able to play the disk on another machine. I have been able to play finalized disks on my Sony DVD player. I hope this is helpful for others having some trouble with these machines. I am very happy to be able to make digital copies of my old home movies. Print these out and follow step by step and it should work perfectly!
Oct 14, 2013 by Cathy A. Sciotto
vote
The DVR620 will accept external input in several ways in which you can connect to your DVR device and record shows off of your DVR. I use an S-Video connection between the DVR620 and my DVR, but you can also use RCA cables (usually the yellow one for video and red/white for stereo audio). Once connected, you just select the external video source you are using, select the DVD quality (EP/SP/LP/XP) and record your TV program onto a DVD. There might be some programs from TV on your DVR that send some kind of signal out to the DVR620 device that will not allow recording, but I have only come across that once in a blue moon.
Jan 29, 2014 by sawgrass
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   100   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers