Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

I'm using this with two completely different laptops, a newer Dell XPS15 with USB 3.0 ports, and an older IBM Thinkpad with USB 2.0 ports. I was able to get it up and running with both in about 15 minutes. Here's what I changed in the Windows 7 settings:

For the setting when the laptop is plugged in, go to Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Power Options / Edit Plan Settings / Advanced Power Settings / Power Buttons and Lid / Choose what closing the lid does / When I close the lid / *Do Nothing*. This will keep the external display active when the laptop lid is closed (although I keep this setting on Sleep when the laptop is on battery, as it doesn't make sense to use the dock when it's on battery).

Then in Control Panel / Display / Adjust screen resolution / Multiple Displays: select Show desktop only on 2. This will make the desktop appear only on the external display -when- the USB device cable is plugged into the Dynadock. Also adjust both screens to their max resolution if this setting is not grayed out.

With these two settings I use the laptop screen just like normal when it's not plugged into dynadock, and I use the external display with the laptop lid closed when it is docked. Works great!!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 6, 2012
Toshiba did really well on this one! This is my first universal dock...i was a bit unsure because I didn't know how well it would do running at usb 2.0. I use my laptop like a desktop. I have two external displays that were originally connected through dvi and hdmi. I have an WD external drive, wireless keyboard and mouse, speakers, and other usb cables. I installed the software and then plugged the usb cable into my computer. It took a second to update then it did its work. It register both my displays and other connected usb devices. I don't see any difference in quality on the screens either. For running all this stuff on usb2.0..it sure is going well. Displays look great, sound quality is the same, and my usb devices work well. I was a bit worried about the load on the processor because essentially it is software running hardware, but there really is not much processor load at all. I have an i5 with 8gb ram and with my displays and iTunes running constantly and Google chrome with multiple tabs open, im only running maybe 20 to 35 processor power...not bad. The only thing I have noticed is that videos are not the greatest quality... you tube 720p still looks good but not as good as if you were running it straight from hdmi. But, it does everything else so wrong. I imagine it would be better if it was transferring it at usb 3.0.

I would say that if you are looking for something that will just work and you unplug your laptop and plug in alot...this is it! It looks great and works flawlessly!

Enjoy, hope it helped
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2012
Since I keep changing laptops for work, it had been pretty hard to find a way to create a home office with all the amenities less the connectivity issue when I get home with my work/personal/business computer. Toshiba docking station solved it all with a fraction of the price that I paid for my other docking stations. It is universally compatible with all the laptops running windows (bad news for apple). Set up was a breeze. Under 10 minutes. I would suggest this to everyone who needs universal compatibility and save some money.
on May 13, 2012
At first I loved this product. It looks great and was simple to setup. I skipped the outdated CD included in the box immediately got it working using their latest driver software from the Toshiba website. My setup included 2 external monitors, a 1GbE wired network, and a set of stereo speakers. I also had a USB keyboard and mouse (both Microsoft branded) connected to the dock and the dock was connected to my new Dell Ultrabook XPS 13 via USB 3.0 (Win 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 w/ all latest drivers and Windows updates).

Sadly I discovered that every 10min - 4hrs all USB ports on the dock shut off rendering my keyboard and mouse useless until I unplug the dock's USB 3.0 connection from my laptop. This immediately fixes the problem (all USB ports power on). Next I plug the dock back into my laptop and I am good for another 10min to about 4hrs. . .rinse and repeat. A few times I could go for 1 or 2 days of continual use, but inevitably the USB ports on this dock always power off. The monitors, network controllers, and audio all are stable and work well all the time. Its just the integrated USB hub that are causing me problems.

As I can't keep this thing operating with just a keyboard and mouse connected (I haven't even tried hooking up the printer, scanner, USB backup HDD, etc) I am returning it. I will buy the Targus ACP70USZ that is now recommended on the Dell Ultrabook ordering site instead.

FYI, I attempted to contact Toshiba tech support for help. The technician on the phone was friendly, but unable to help me beyond the basic troubleshooting steps on their web FAQ. She suggested I contact Toshiba support by email to escalate the issue to Toshiba engineering. I did this but I never even received an auto-responder to acknowledge that my email was received. Unfortunately they have no way to contact them via web form so my email may have ended up in someone's SPAM folder. Oh well. I would have really liked to have continued using this product but my 30 days is up and its now time to make a return.

If anyone out there is having the same issue then I hope you will find some comfort knowing you are not alone.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2013
I bought this to use with my new Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 8.
Having read mixed views about this product I decided to give it a try. At the time I ordered it I hadn't seen any reviews using it with Windows 8, so hopefully this will be helpful to others.

After un-boxing it and installing the drivers as the instructions said to do I found the disk shipped was not compatible with Windows 8, that didn't surprise me. I plugged the device into the USB 3 port on my Laptop and let it install its drivers. One of the devices failed to install so I followed the instructions that Windows 8 prompted me to do. That involved downloading and installing drivers from DisplayLink, I installed DisplayLink7.1 using the file named DisplayLink7.1M0.exe After doing that everything worked.
Been using it for almost a week now. No problems and I'm happy with the product.

I went from using a desktop PC to using a laptop and I wanted the ease of one cable plus the power cable when going between locations. This docking station works perfectly for that. My second flat screen, keyboard and mouse, and speakers are all connected to it. I haven't had any issues like others mentioned where USB devices stop working after a bit of time. Being really picky there's a slight white noise from the speakers, but its so low that it isn't an issue. I've noticed a lot of other devices doing this, not just the laptop/doc combo.

Since I'm using all Toshiba devices I cant really comment on what it would be like with a Dell or other make of laptop.

Hope this little review helps someone else.
on August 28, 2012
I bought this with high hopes of being able to use my Asus ZEN as my primary CPU. The Dynadock is extremely unstable with the Zen. After MUCH trial and error, uninstalling, re-installing, etc. we finally figured out that it just won't work with the USB 3.0 port and had to use the USB 2.0 port on the ZEN to get it to work at all. My installation is not complicated, 2 24" monitors, speakers, and a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo. At least once an hour the Dynadock loses its connection to the external devices. This requires unplugging the power cable from the dock, then the USB from the ZEN, then reconnecting the USB and THEN the power to the dock. Very frustrating to say the least when you are in the middle of working. I bought the ZEN from Fry's with the assurance that it would be appropriate for such an installation. Obviously, there is an incompatibility somewhere, dock, ZEN, who knows. All I know is most days I'm ready to throw both through the 2nd story window! If anyone has any ideas to increase the stability of this setup, please reply. Thanks!

Update October 6, 2012 - found the incompatibility, updated to 4 stars with caveats

Because I had a lot of typing to do yesterday and I couldn't get an image on my external monitors (yet again), I unplugged the Dynadock from the Zen and plugged in the keyboard/mouse combo into the USB 3.0 port on the Zen. Just on a whim, I plugged the Dynadock back into the USB 2.0 port on the Zen. Wow! Instant video on both external monitors and the Zen, too. I will just keep the keyboard/mouse plugged directly into the computer from now on. Has worked flawlessly since. I don't know why but the Dynadock does not play well with the Logitech devices. It does not work for me if I reverse the devices and plug the Dynadock into the faster 3.0 port. Still, the setup is fast enough for my daily computing needs. Thanks for the support, Toshiba, Zen and Logitech...NOT! Hours wasted with crappy tech support from all three. Hope this helps someone else save some time and many curse words!

Update December 27, 2014 - updated drivers have made the setup quite stable for the last six months. Just in time for me to want to upgrade my system, of course!
on February 3, 2013
Using my Lenovo Yoga 13 with Windows 8 single cable USB 3.0 to run: DVI Monitor, USB Ext. Harddrive, Ext. DVD drive, 1Gig network, Android Phone sync, APC power UPS monitoring, Keyboard/Mouse, and speakers. Typically Boot Up/Down upon connecting to avoid issues. With Win8 Boot is Instantaneous. Love the single cable to connect with all devices.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 17, 2012
I wanted to upgrade from my old desktop computer to a new laptop with a docking station so that I could have a full-size monitor, keyboard, and mouse while using my computer at home. However, I didn't really want to get a laptop with a proprietary docking station (where my choices in laptops are limited). I searched on Amazon and wow do I feel lucky I found the Toshiba Dynadock U3.0. It it fantastic. Very easy to set up and works very well.

I was tempted to give the Dynadock five stars but I am a hard grader and I went with four. Why? Because when my new laptop goes to sleep and I wake it up, it takes about 30 seconds or so for the overall system (laptop-Dynadock-monitor) to become fully awake. I am pretty sure the delay is Dynadock-related. If it were more instantaneous, I would have gone with five stars.

In case anyone is wondering, the USB 3.0 interface is as fast as advertised. When I use my laptop computer configured wit the Dynadock, I experience zero delay in screen refresh or anything else. Outstanding performance. And I can plug in new devices into the Dynadock without a hitch. My Dynadock is connected to my wireless keyboard and mouse, printer, backup hard drive, Ethernet, and digital camera. It's a snap to unhook my laptop from all that stuff and take it with me.

I am extremely happy with my purchase. btw, I price-shopped outside of Amazon but Amazon had the lowest price around.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 11, 2014
I bought this docking station together with the Toshiba Kirabook, as I wanted to make sure I have no connectivity issues. I thought the same hardware producer should have been able to integrate the two quite easy.

To my utter surprise, after a short period when it worked properly, the Dynadock U3.0 proved worthless. The main aim for which I bought it, namely to have extended monitors is not working in any way, despite my best efforts. As it happens, Toshiba forum is full of negative reviews for this device since at least 1 year, with the same issue as I have, but they do not seem to care in any way.

Want to buy the Dynadock? THINK AGAIN and LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR QUALITY.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for the review, Razvan, and sorry to hear that you're having a problem using your Dynadock U3.0 with extended monitors.

This most likely points to a problem with the DisplayLink driver, which is the technology used for managing and outputting video via USB. This driver was updated recently and is available from support.toshiba.com. You can find it at this direct link: http://df.toshiba.com/displaylink_NR-124677-LS-2_R7.6_M2.exe

If the Dynadock U3.0 is actually defective, Toshiba would be happy to replace it for you under its 1 year warranty. A warranty replacement can be initiated at acclaim.toshiba.com.

Regarding the Toshiba Forums, this is a peer support community so rather than "reviews", it contains posts from Toshiba product users requesting assistance from their peers with troubleshooting. The community is full of knowledgeable members who are typically very helpful and resolve many of the problems that come their way. But for official Toshiba support please call 800-457-7777, or for Kirabook support via chat, email, or telephone visit support.toshiba.com/kiraseries.

Thanks again for the feedback and sorry for the difficulty.
on April 30, 2012
I have reservations with Displaylink technology. Previous versions has disappointed me with the computing resources required and inability to display motion video (even at low image quality).

However, this dock is outstanding. Everything works (USB, Ethernet, Dual display, Audio). I connect using an Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter. My laptop does not have USB 3.0 built-in. I have two 24" monitors at 1920x1200. My laptop is 13" at 1366x768.

It works perfectly. All 3 displays works at the same time. CPU usage is minimal. Better still, I tried playing those 1080p videos. There is no lag, no stuttering, no defect at all. It performs just like a desktop. Ethernet, Audio, USB peripherals... all works.

Never has a docking station works as good as this, even those that comes natively for the laptops.

What I would like: An ON-OFF switch but it is not a big deal.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...