Toshiba Laptop? Has anyone tried using this with a Toshiba Laptop, such as the Toshiba R835-P56X?

Depending on how smart the power-charging circuit in the laptop is, it seems like 26W ought to be enough to charge the laptop (very slowly) while it's powered off, or sustain it (roughly speaking) while it's powered on? Has anyone actually tried this with a real Toshiba laptop?
asked by Amazon Customer on September 7, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
lucas: how are you doing with your laptop and solar charging unit? i would like to do the same thing out in the woods and do not know what to purchase from amazon. please help. your post was done on my last birthday. terry
T. M. Ingram answered on January 7, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I haven't purchased the solar panel (yet?), so I can't speak to how well it works. Sorry I can't help more!
Amazon Customer answered on January 7, 2012

A
this would certainly charge your laptop battery with the laptop turned off. it's just a matter of how long it would take. from personal measurements with dell laptops, it will take about twice as long to charge-up with this panel when compared to plugging into the wall.

as for charging/powering your laptop while your laptop is on...forget about it. you would essentially be running off battery power as most of today's full-sized laptops use 60W while running. it might make your battery last a few minutes longer.
Adam Holder answered on January 7, 2012

A
My Toshiba laptop isn't a full-sized laptop, at least in terms of power consumption. The power supply is about 60W, but I measured the charge-maintaining current (with a kill-a-watt) at about 20 watts, which is why I was interested in other people's experiences with this particular solar panel. Alas, I don't know if this is enough to maintain the battery's SOC while using the laptop. It ought to be enough to keep my particular laptop topped off, but there's so little wiggle room that I don't want to gamble three hundred dollars on it. unless someone else has tried this exact configuration.

On a related note, I'm sitting in the back seat of a minivan powering this laptop off of a PWR+ 12V adapter from a power outlet in the car using a mobile data connection. It's working wonderfully. Running this kind of configuration kept making me wonder why I wasn't working in the park near my office on days with perfect weather. :-)

I agree about full-sized laptops, though. The details of T.M. Ingram's laptop matter a lot.
Amazon Customer answered on January 8, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›