Toshiba 640GB MK6476GSX 5400rpm SATA2 8MB Notebook Hard Drive 2.5 Inch works perfectly, was a replacement for my old HD
Published 15 months ago by hectorvnzla

2.0 out of 5 stars meh
Published 17 months ago by silhouette_of_enchantment

2.0 out of 5 stars meh, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Toshiba 640GB MK6476GSX 5400rpm SATA2 8MB Notebook Hard Drive 2.5 Inch Cache Interface (Electronics)
The Toshiba 640 GB hard drive is the one that originally came with my laptop computer. The first one literally went bad within days of use, and I had to switch out my computers. The second one is now failing after having my laptop for less than two years (with light use). It's failed the long generic SMART Test (as indicated by several programs, including the HP's own test). It is impossible to defrag the disk, now, because it is going bad. Now I have to purchase a replacement hard drive.

I don't know if hard drive manufacturers are intentionally producing poor hds so people have to continue buying them, but a person is more likely to return to purchase your product if they've had a great experience using it. The hard drive in my old computer made in the early 2000s --(a Gateway model) --lasted almost a decade with heavy use. The original manufacturer of the hard drives is still producing them, so I will give that brand a try this time. Hopefully they won't be a disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars crashed after a couple weeks, August 19, 2013
Sadly the harddrive crashed after only being used a couple weeks. Im hoping I can still get a refund. hopefully

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 640GB MK6476GSX 5400rpm SATA2 8MB Notebook Hard Drive 2.5 Inch..., November 21, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Showed up on time, plugged in and ran., October 2, 2013
No issues with this product or supplier. We were replacing a dying laptop drive and it was a simple job of transferring the image to the new drive. No problems after a month of regular usage.

3.0 out of 5 stars replacement of original drive, May 16, 2014
Gets a four cause the one I replaced didn't last 2years until a fatal error made it unreadable. This is a OEM replacement for my HP laptop and it is working fine. But had to buy the replacement original image as it was not available online. I should have known better and been more proactive in looking or making an external backup image before the failure. It does no good to have an image on the drive when the drive crashes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Prone to Failure, April 7, 2014
PROS: Decent price, good performance

CONS: Not reliable, questionable warranty, support, Toshiba diagnostics does not work with drive

More Information:
I have replaced more Toshiba drives in laptops than any other drive. Most of the the Toshiba drives are less than 2 years old. Toshiba states these drives are rated for 600,000 hours MTBF. All of the Toshiba drives I have replaced have less than 10,000 hours on them. Don't trust the ratings here on Toshiba drive -- research yourself.

I just got a laptop in for repair. Hard drive has crashed. Diagnostics failed. Drive was manufactured in 11/2011 and is supposed to have a 3 year warranty to 11/2014. Laptop was purchased in 10/2012 so drive has less than 2 years of use. Check with Toshiba and told warranty has expired. Was told by Toshiba, the drive only has 1 year warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far no problems., March 27, 2014
After my cat pushed my laptop to the floor, ( I guess it was in his way) I found I then needed a new hard drive. I ordered the Toshiba 640GB MK6476GSX 5400rpm SATA2 8MB Notebook Hard Drive from AMAZON and installed. Very happy so far. No problems. Works great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after light use, December 27, 2013
I carry my laptop around in a backpack, then put it in a case in a car for a trip. There were no major bumps and the laptop was seated quite nicely. It was always treated with care. Next time I open it up, critical failure errors all around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive - easy to install, December 17, 2013
Replacement drive for an out of warranty failed laptop drive. Wasn't an exact replacement but worked in the laptop. So far the drive is performing well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you so much., November 25, 2013
Very fast delivery.. Was fixing a friend's bad hd on his laptop and he said that it is now faster than it ever was. Thanks again.