5.0 out of 5 stars Great value -- especially when you install an SSD!
I've had this laptop for nearly three weeks, and think it's great!

Summary:

Pros:
- Lightweight
- Clean and understated design
- Sturdy: most surfaces are made of metal (only the bezel, hinges, and a few bottom panels are plastic). You can easily lift it up by the corner with one hand.
- Battery life is good (7.5+ hours with mixed...
Published on April 30, 2011 by SY

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool laptop with a few minor issues
Published on April 8, 2011 by B. Le

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value -- especially when you install an SSD!, April 30, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba Portégé R835-P56x 13.3-Inch LED Laptop (Magnesium Blue) (Personal Computers)
I've had this laptop for nearly three weeks, and think it's great!

Summary:

Pros:
- Lightweight
- Clean and understated design
- Battery life is good (7.5+ hours with mixed usage). Also, no "battery bulge" in the back!
- Battery is removable
- Trackpad has a nicely configurable driver (Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse > Device Settings > Settings...)
- Value; saves enough money for an SSD compared to a competing system like a Macbook Pro (see below)

Cons:
- Screen isn't great. (It isn't bad, though -- just narrow in vertical viewing angle).
- Black color means you might be tempted to clean the keyboard/trackpad a little obsessively.
- Industrial smell coming from the vent in the first few days of ownership (now gone)
- When closed, the lid depresses a little when you apply pressure to the middle. I suggest keeping the included fabric insert thing to protect the lid from keyboard scratches. (Note that keyboard scratches also occur on other notebooks, including the sturdy Apple Macbooks, so I'm not taking off any points).

Overall:
I'm giving this laptop five stars because it represents a great value. I paid $835 for the system, and replaced the hard drive with an Intel X25-M 120GB SSD ($175). The total cost of my system therefore was $1010, which puts it in entry-level Macbook territory.

(Note that the SSD is very easy to install -- you unscrew two panels in the back, swap the drives, and clean-install your operating system).

Why the SSD? With the SSD plus Sandy Bridge processor, performance is superb -- startup is fast (15 seconds from button to login screen, plus 8 seconds from login to loaded desktop). Programs launch quickly, and shutdown is quick as well. I'd say the stock system with the hard drive is a bit imbalanced (processor is too fast for the 5400 RPM hard drive) but at least it comes with plenty of room and doesn't cost much. With this configuration, program launching and startup are slower, and you are stuck with bloatware, but the computer still operates reasonably fast.

Comparisons with other systems:

Compared with the Air, the R835 (with SSD installed) gives you:
- more storage space (120GB SSD on my R835 vs. 64GB for the $999 11" MBA model)
--- with SSD, similar bootup times (23 seconds for R835 vs. 15 seconds *see 6/2/2011 edit* for MBA) and wakeup times (both about 2 seconds)
- a better processor (core i5-2410M vs. a core 2 duo) and more memory
- longer battery life + removable battery
- a DVD drive, USB 3.0 port, eSATA, VGA (no need to carry a dongle around)
- 0.9 or 0.3 pounds more weight (vs. the 11" and 13" MBA models, respectively).
- about 0.25" more thickness

Compared with the Macbook Pro (13" entry-level model), you get:
- $190 in savings (with SSD in the R835) or $365 savings (with stock HDD)
-- With SSD swap, you get performance gains compared to the MB. With the default hard drive, you get twice as much storage (640GB vs. 320GB, both 5400 RPM).
- Removable battery
- Similar metal build quality (Macbook pro feels a little sturdier, but weighs 40% more)
- 1.3 pounds in weight savings (!)

Compared with the plastic Macbook (13" $999 model), you get:
- Metal build quality
- an SSD (for about the same total cost), or $165 in savings + 390GB more hard drive space
- Better processor (two generations ahead) and RAM (4GB vs. 2GB).
- 1.5 pound weight savings (!)

So, I saw no reason to go with the Macbooks when I could get superior performance and save money, weight, and battery flexibility with the R835.

Compared to other PC systems -- It's thinner and slightly less expensive than the Lenovo x220 (but isn't as rugged and has slightly shorter battery life), and is very much cheaper and has a better processor (but has an inferior screen) than the Sony Z series.

In short, the R835 makes its Apple competitors look seriously overpriced (or under-featured, depending on how you look at it) and costs less than its PC competitors.

My evaluation of the unit:

I liked the design -- it's quite sturdy (with its metal construction) and light (3.2 pounds). It doesn't feel as "dense" as the Macbook Air, but it's sufficiently sturdy and light enough, such that you can lift it by a corner with one hand. Also, it certainly breaks a threshold in thinness, so it certainly *looks* thin. The CD/DVD drive makes a great "but wait, there's more" parlor trick!

(The design also appeals to me because it's pleasantly different from the Macbooks' design. In my Econ class, it looks stealthy and elegant compared to the sea of glowing Apples. Funny how "Think Different" should now apply to a PC rather than a Mac...)

As noted above, the performance is good, especially with an SSD installed. The weakest point is the integrated graphics, though it's not completely pathetic; I was able to play Portal without too much choppiness.

The battery life is great -- I got 7.5 hours with mixed use (web browsing, spreadsheets, including an hour of Steam running). I estimate you get about 4-5 minutes per percent used (according to the Windows battery icon), or 400-500 minutes total.

There are a few minor drawbacks. For one, the screen is merely average because the vertical viewing angle is not good. Also, a downside to the black body color is that I obsessively clean it with every fleck of dust. The unit had a distinctly industrial smell when it first came, but now it's gone. Also, its lid depresses a little, which I suspect will lead to the keyboard leaving scratches on the screen (this also happens to Macbooks, which are supposed to be the pinnacle of design, so I guess it's acceptable). To counter this, I use the included piece of fabric between the screen and keyboard when I transport the unit around.

Despite these minor drawbacks, the system overall exudes great quality, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a well-built, fast, and highly portable notebook. I would strongly recommend replacing the stock hard drive with an SSD to balance the performance, especially given that the relatively low price (for this weight class) leaves some money to acquire an SSD.

EDIT (5/16/2011): PCMark Vantage scores for my system are here: [ ... ] . You can compare with other Core i5-2410M systems here: [ ... ]

EDIT (6/2/2011): I visited the Apple Store today. The 11-inch MBA started up in about 50 seconds (not sure what took so long), while the Core i7 MacBook Pro ($1500) started up in about 35 seconds (didn't have a chance to try the i5 MBP). If I remember correctly, the default R835 took about 60 seconds to start up. Again, the startup time for my configuration is 23 seconds.

EDIT (7/24/2011): Thanks to several reviewers for bringing this up: apparently, the motherboard does support SATA III speeds, but Toshiba disabled the speed, thus getting you SATA II speeds. This would mean that it wouldn't be too valuable buying a SATAIII SSD for use in this computer. I'll update this after I confirm this limitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the weight and price, I don't see how you can beat it, April 14, 2011
T. Boehnlein (Dayton, Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
I love this notebook. My last one was a 6.5 pound beast of a Dell that I carried around for four years and got 2 hour battery life if you were lucky. This is such a huge improvement.

PROS:
The battery life is excellent. Only if I am doing really demanding computational tasks do even think about plugging it in to the AC adapter.

The weight is fantastic. A lot of people I've showed it to can't believe how light this notebook is. My bookbag is so much lighter now. Even the AC adapter is way lighter than my Dell's.

The CPU power is more than sufficient as is the RAM at 4GB.

The trackpad is a good size. I don't think you could ever make a trackpad too big. It also has multi-touch and gesture support.

I was able to play L4D2 with this machine at medium settings. Much more than I was expecting given the graphics on here.

For the price, this is such a great notebook if you need something that is really light and still has a full blown mobile CPU.

The build quality is really good. Just a little bit of flex under the DVD drive. Everything else feels solid.

It has USB 3.0 and you can charge through USB even it the notebook isn't on. That's great for a gadget geek like me.

It also has HDMI, VGA and eSATA. So many ports!

CONS:

They just released the R830 series which offers faster CPU's and a docking port. If you have the money to spend, look at those instead. The i7 CPU R830 is actually rated at over 11 hours. They also have an SSD options too.

I am going from a 1920x1200 15.4" on my Dell to this 13.3" 1366x786. It's been kind of a shock for some of my programming related apps that require lots of screen real estate but haven't really noticed the difference for everyday home and office tasks. I am also going from matte to glare so that has lead to a couple new problem with reflections but nothing too bad.

Two finger scroll is not as smooth as I wish it could be but it's still very usable.

No bluetooth. Again, look at the R830 series.

Maybe this isn't the perfect notebook for you for whatever reason, but you really need to consider it if you are in the market for a new one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool laptop with a few minor issues, April 8, 2011
B. Le (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
what initially got me into the portege series was the aesthetic. it has a very simple and clean look. I'm not exactly tech savvy as I don't keep up with all the latest processors and whatnot, but for all the praise and hype about the new Sandy Bridge processors, this laptop seems decently quick. doesn't blow me away compared to my several years-old core duo desktop or even my 1-2 year-old, $500 toshiba satellite. overall, I like it a lot because it's big enough that hopefully it won't give me carpel tunnel syndrome, but small enough for easy mobility, which is good for a student.

since I'm not doing any hardcore computing and just using it for a few basic functions like browsing, streaming movies, programming, etc, it satisfies me (but then again I think any computer in this day an age could pull those tasks off). unfortunately, even for those basic functions there are a few issues that Toshiba can improve on:

1) the keyboard keys CLACK... really loudly. typing in the library or in class will probably stir up a ruckus. clackity clackity clack. not that big of a deal though, I guess.

2) I don't know where everyone is getting all these claims about a 9 hour battery life (even cnet said they were able to get something like 7 hours in their tests) when I'm running the laptop in 'eco' mode with 77% battery life left and only 4 hours and 11 minutes of claimed life left. a second later, I have 76% batter life left but only 3 hours and 41 minutes left??? I'm only on my battery's second charge but I've been noticing these really sporadic projections and it's really annoying.

3) the track pad straight up sucks. I'm not a fan of mac at all, but when my girlfriend had her 13.3" macbook, one of the things I found coolest was how easy it was to surf the net. the 2 finger scroll feature they had was super cool and some other functions included: three finger swipe up to open a new tab, three finger swipe down to close a page, three finger swipe left to go 'back' and right for forward, two finger tap to function as a right click [extremely useful]. comparatively, you can't really set any three finger functions to your own liking, the two finger scroll is really jittery - if it manages to detect your fingers there is no sensitivity and can go insane and jump entire pages at any given moment. overall it's pretty frustrating to use the multi-finger features.

4) could be a part of gripe #3, but the two clicker buttons for the track pack are stiff. I like to use the tap function because my thumb would probably get sore if I used the clicker too much. yes, it is that stiff.

other than that, it's really light and powerful enough that I can use it without getting frustrated and just looks awesome which is good enough for me. I would give this laptop 5 stars otherwise and while a 2-star deduction might seem harsh, I feel these basic attributes could have easily been included and are prerequisites to just being a decent laptop. I mean, how expensive could it be to develop and include a good track pad?? overall, laptop seems sturdy and reliable and I'm looking forward to using it

update: an issue with the r705 series was that the fans would get really loud or that the laptop would get hot, but for either case, toshiba has remedied the problem on this model. the laptop stays extremely quiet even after I have been using it for 6 hours with just one break. it does warm up when in my lap on top of a blanket, but on a desk it doesn't heat up at ALL.

4/25 I've had the laptop for two or three weeks now but since it's my backup/extra I'm really taking care of it and haven't used it that much yet. Mostly for school and not for browsing/videos pretty much. But one thing I noticed today was a little clacking noise that's from the chrome hinge, which is loose. I have no idea how it could have gotten loose as I've used the laptop probably less than a total of 7 times and it's only been handled with the utmost care. REALLY annoying because for a $900 laptop, this really shouldn't be an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Laptop for Both Power and Portability...Especially When You Uninstall the Preinstalled Realtek Audio Driver, June 30, 2011
Michael Hansen (Saint Charles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Please note: I have the Toshiba Portege R835-P70 now sold by Best Buy (as of late June 2011), which appears to have the same specs as the P56X. Thus, I post the following review, as I think it should apply:

For me, the most important features of a laptop are good processing power and portability. And when it comes right down to it, after a point, processing power would not matter so much.
I was originally considering buying the Toshiba Portege R835-P50X (Intel i3 processor) from Best Buy. The Portege R835-P56X (i5 processor) was the model reviewers all over the internet were raving about, but the P50X had a higher battery life--which I attributed to the slower processor--than the P56X. (CNET reported approx. seven hours from the R835-P56X, while PC Magazine reported over nine hours from the P50X.)

When I went onto Best Buy's website to check store inventory, though, I discovered that a newer model, with what appeared to be the same specs (including the Intel i5) as the R835-P56X, had just been released--enter the Portege R835-P70. Added bonus: it was $20 cheaper than the older (and slower) R835-P50X, and even cheaper still than the R835-P56X sold by online retailers.

The new Intel Sandy Bridge i5 processor certainly can perform. I use screen-reading software to access the computer (I am blind), and I am able to use some very memory-intensive text-to-speech voices that had previously been too unresponsive on older machines.

The battery appears to work as advertised, though I have not pushed it to its limit yet. If real-world usage tests indicate a 6-7 hour battery performance, I am inclined to believe them. The thing to remember when gauging battery performance is not the amount of time the computer says is remaining, but rather the percentage that is remaining. This is because the software calculates the amount of time remaining based on the current workload of the computer, and that changes from minute to minute.

While the keys do make a bit of a "clicking" sound when pressed, it is not annoying to me. The keys are firmer than I was used to, but there is always a learning curve with a new keyboard and the firmness is certainly not a bad thing. As far as the key placement, my response to those who say it feels "cramped" is that anyone who has used a 13-inch laptop before will have no trouble using this keyboard. But again, there is always a learning curve, especially for those who are used to larger setups.

The only thing I am not wild about is the placement of the cooling fan intake. It is on the underside of the laptop on the bottom left, and it is easier to cover it accidentally if the computer is sitting on your lap. It is not a deal-breaker, by any means--it is just something to keep in mind. (If the intake is blocked, the fan will run at a higher RPM.)

In several reviews, the sound of the Portege R835's speakers was criticized...and rightly so. The sound they put out is tinny and distorted--the higher the volume, the more distortion there is. My solution? Uninstall the preinstalled Realtek High Definition Audio driver--it makes a world of difference. When I uninstalled said driver and cranked up the volume, I was pleased (and a bit surprised) to find that the speakers were just as loud, but with no distortion! (As a general rule, I uninstall the preinstalled Realtek HD audio driver in favor of the default Microsoft one, mainly because the Microsoft driver allows independent control of speaker and headphone volumes.)

Overall, this is a wonderful little laptop--great battery life, fast processor performance, and all of that in a very lightweight (but sturdy--almost all-metal) frame. While the fan intake placement is not all that great, one can work around it. If you get nothing else useful from this review, please take my advice on uninstalling the Realtek audio driver in favor of the Microsoft one--you'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, April 23, 2011
The other reviewers pretty much hit the spots that needed hit.

The keyboard is a little loud, sure, but aside from that it is just about perfect. I've always liked the old IBM clicky keyboards. Typing on this reminds me of those, which I think is awesome.

The touchpad was *kinda* weird, but I got used to it quickly (have had the machine for about 2 weeks now). Another reviewer commented on the scrolling, and has a solution posted as well. After a couple hours of use, I have no problem using the touchpad (have even played Portal 2 a bit with it).

The performance is amazing, the only thing slowing it down is the hard drive. I have SSDs in my other machines, so the difference is pretty apparent to me. I'll pick up an SSD and make this the perfect little laptop.

Battery life is as advertised. I took it in to work one day and downloaded all of Portal 2, OpenSUSE 11.4 ISO, and Office, all while doing normal browsing with max brightness. I proceeded to burn and install OpenSUSE, and the battery still lasted roughly 6.5 hours. I was impressed.

The screen is definitely bright. I used it in a car with sunlight coming through the window with no issues. As most, I'd prefer a matte screen, but any glare on this is barely noticeable, I didn't even think about it while using it in the sun. I just mention it because I just read a ThinkPad review that had me thinking about it.

I mentioned above that I played Portal 2 on it, yup! Works better than I expected, the sandy bridge i5 is a beast!

I've already recommended this laptop to family and friends, it is definitely worth a look if you're in the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for., July 8, 2011
first of all, i think that a review of any product should be about the product itself and not about what it could have been or what it should have come with.

that being said, i think this is a great laptop, especially for students. here's why:
- i5 2nd gen (fast and efficient), handles multitasking extremely well.
- 4gb ram is more than enough memory.
- graphics could be better, but it is good enough. this laptop isn't designed for intense gaming; you're better off elsewhere if you're looking for that.
- eSATA and USB 3.0 makes this laptop a bit more future-proof.
- at 3.2 lbs, it is extremely light and very portable. i plan on bringing this baby to class.
- the keyboard is NOT as loud as some people have said, and i find it rather easy to type on (~120WPM).
- LED screen is very bright on the highest setting (8).
- the track pad is very easy to use and was easy to get used to (i also own a 13.3" macbook). the left and right click buttons are a bit loud, but the tap-click responds well.
- the function key layout is friendly, takes some time to get used to though.
- beautiful design.
- it comes with a free 4gb xbox 360 ($199.99) if you sign up for one free year of amazon prime (students). offer may not last.

"cons":
- left and right click buttons may attract fingerprints.
- the vents on the left may get a bit hot if you make your laptop work (watching a movie, etc.), but it's not searing hot.
- backlit keys would have been amazing on this laptop, but i digress.
- lots of bloatware. took less than half an hour to remove it all though.
- HDD at 5400rpm could be better, but a simple 7200rpm replacement or SSD would make this laptop unstoppable. i'm waiting for the prices to drop on the SSD's.
- didn't come with pizza.

if you're looking for something portable but powerful, look no further. this laptop is amazing and perfect, for me at least. i browsed for at least 5 hours trying to find the perfect laptop, and i think i did. i can't comment on its durability, but i hope for the best.

another important note: i noticed that the speakers did sound "tinny" as some people have stated, and it still sounded pretty empty when i plugged in my speakers. i did what one reviewer said about uninstalling realtek drivers* and using microsoft's default drivers, and it worked like a charm. as paula abdul would say, "it sounds one billion percent better."

*on windows 7,
1. right click on the volume icon on the taskbar and click "playback devices."
2. select "speakers" and click "properties" on the bottom right of the window.
3. on the "controller information" box, click "properties."
4. click "change settings" on the bottom left.
5. click on the "drivers" tab and click "uninstall."
6. restart will be prompted.
7. when restart is complete, windows will automatically find the default sound drivers (internet connection required).

cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Portege R835-P56x vs. R835-P70, July 10, 2011
There are a number of excellent reviews of the Toshiba Portege R835-P56x, which Amazon is selling as of the date of this review, and I recommend them. However, I think you should also consider a newer model, the R835-P70, that's available at Best Buy. I have usually found Amazon's offerings and pricing superior to most alternatives, but this was an exception for me. The R835-P70 model is the same as the R835-P56x, except the P70 includes WiMAX connectivity, while the P56x is Wi-Fi only. Further, as of this writing, the P70 is actually cheaper. Indeed, when I bought my P70, not only was it somewhat cheaper, but I also got a free gift card included. (That wasn't offered today when I checked.)

Apart from the competitive merits of the P56x and the P70, the first question you ought to ask yourself is what features are most important to you--weight, construction quality, battery life, display, connectivity, memory, processing power, graphics capability, software and, of course, value. Here are a few of my observations:

Weight: I passed my unit around to members of my office. Every one of them was surprised at how light it felt. Chances are, you'll feel the same way. You can buy lighter laptops, netbooks and tablets, but in terms of the whole package of features offered, I seriously doubt that you can get all that in a much lighter model. If your idea of mobility is moving your laptop from one room to another, maybe you should look at a desktop replacement model. However, if you are going to carry your laptop around with you a lot--and you need a good amount of computing power, an optical drive, etc.--then this unit's light weight will be most welcomed.

Battery life: My analysis is more or less the same as above. You can get longer battery life, but in terms of the whole package of features, I doubt that you can get much better battery life.

Build quality: The metal-based construction certainly feels (and looks) solid. There's nothing fancy in design terms, so if that is meaningful to you, perhaps you should consider models with more eye appeal.

Processing power: The Intel Core i5-2410M ("Sandy Bridge") is going to be more than adequate for most users, though not necessarily for intense gamers or those who engage in video editing or certain advanced engineering applications. Speaking of gamers, there is a lack of a separate graphics chip; however, most users probably won't notice problems.

Value: Maybe I should have put this category first, because it's very important to anyone on a budget, or maybe I should have put it last, because you can consider it to be a function of all the other attributes combined. Regardless, for what this laptop represents, this is as good of a value as I can find at this time. Indeed, I regard value as perhaps this model's most compelling attribute.

Optical drive: It's got one, which is more than you can say regarding most laptops this light.

Software: It's got a Windows Home Premium 64-bit operating system, Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Version, and a host of bundled software, most of which you won't use.

Display: 13.3-inch, widescreen (16:9) proportions, bright and clear.

Connections: The two USB 2.0, one VGA, multi-format card reader and gigabit ethernet connections are pretty much standard. The one USB 3.0 and one HDMI (high-def) ports are appreciated.

Connectivity: The Wi-Fi is standard stuff, but if you need broadband connectivity apart from Wi-Fi, then the P70 model with its WiMAX is preferable.

In conclusion, there is no such thing as a laptop with the longest battery time, most powerful processing and graphics capabilities, strongest construction and lowest price. You need to figure out what features are most important to you and narrow your selection accordingly. If what you want is a lightweight model with excellent processing power and an internal optical drive--all at a very competitive price--the Portege R835-P56x (or the P70 model) is well worth your careful consideration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Power of a Full Laptop in Very Light, Portable Form, May 31, 2011
Let me first say this is far and away the best combination of speed, portability, battery life and price that I've had in a laptop. Like many users, I just need a computer to surf the internet, listen to music, do some basic word processing etc. Occasionally, I like to stream my videos from the computer to the TV, take trips and have a lightweight computer handy or use programs that require a bit more processing power (video game, turbotax, whatever).

Two years ago, I got sucked into the netbook fad hoping that a netbook could fill that computing need in my life given it was only $300. Sadly, it was grossly underpowered and simply broke on me about a month ago. So I was in the market for a new laptop and, like every computer prior to the netbook, I wanted one that would last me 5-6 years at a reasonable price. I found this one and couldn't be happier. Despite the i5 processor, ram, and everything else, it still fits into a 3.2 lb package. Its the power of a normal laptop fit into a very portable form.

There are a few different versions of this laptop. When I bought, the P56X was being sold by Amazon for $900. The R835-P55x was a better value for me at $800, essentially the same to the P56X with a few, non-vital changes. There is also a i3 R835-P50X available for 750. So do some homework on which one is right for you. Overall however, if they all perform like mine, the whole line is great!

EDIT (7/6/11) - There is also a R835-P70 that just came out. From what I can tell it is exactly the same as the R56X but with the addition of WiMax for 750. On back order at the moment (its an exclusive from BB) but worth a look since it seems like the same laptop for less money.

Pros:

- Value for the specs. I5-Sandy Bridge, 4GB RAM, 640GB harddrive, USB 3.0 port, e-SATA port, HDMI and VGA output all in a 3.2lb computer for $800. I really can't express how great it was to find this computer.

- Sandy Bridge Processor makes life easy on speed and battery life. I've squeezed out almost 8 hours of time on a single charge. The new processor will help keep it going for 5-6 years for me.

- Eco Mode/Button - I was able to get great such great battery life by powering down the screen brightness and processors using one simple button. When I'm surfing the web, I like to use it to save battery life. I hardly notice any performance difference when its in eco-mode but when I'm watching video or doing intensive processing, I press the button for full processor speed.

- Multi-touch pad - I don't use a whole lot of gestures with my touchpad but the two-finger scrolling was extremely well implemented on this compared to others that I have used. Almost as good as a Mac touchpad, in my opinion.

Cons:

- Bad speakers - This is why it lost a star for me. They sound down right horrible. The headphone jack is only slightly better. I like to listen to a lot of music with decent equipment and it downright hurts to listen sometimes. Virtually no bass and the treble can be ear piercing at times.

- A bunch of proprietary software pre-installed. It took me an hour or two going through all the different Toshiba applications and pre-installed demos to figure out which ones I wanted/needed. Some were great like the eco-utility but others were background apps like an aggregator of all the other diagnostic apps they installed which just would slow down the computer.

- 5400 RPM harddrive. A 7200 RPM harddrive would have improved the build just a little bit and would have helped squeeze a few more months out of it towards the end of its usefulness in 5-6 years.

Overall, great product that I would recommend to anyone looking for an extremely lightweight laptop with the fast processing speed to match. A rare combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars CodyClark02 - Toshiba r835 review, April 10, 2011
codyclark02 (Jackson, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Well, it's been about a year and a half since I got my ASUS G72 Gaming Laptop from Best Buy, and about 3 months since I gave it to my girlfriend when her VIAO killed over. Since then I've been using a Compaq r4000 that was giving to me by one of my clients, it's not the quickest thing it has gotten the job done. Unfortunately it died last week, and I was forced to start reading online reviews in the search for a new laptop.

I was blown away by how many different slates, tablets, pads, net books, laptops, and net tops there are! I've been through enough laptops to know I wanted to try a different screen size, and I was looking to the 11"-13" range. After a few days of searching I started noticing a Toshiba that kept popping up on most of the review sites I'd gone to. The Toshiba r835 was its name, and kicking ass was its game! Its super fast Intel Core i5-2620M Processor was a perfect match for an Ultra-Portable laptop with 8GB DDR3 RAM capacity, a 640GB hard drive, USB 3.0, a dual layer DVD burner, a 13.3" LED backlit HD screen, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, webcam and microphone, and all of this weighing in at just under 3.2lbs.

I've had my new r835 for about four days now, and I couldn't be happier with my decision! The ASUS I had weighed about 10lbs, so going to this 3.2lb machine has been a dream. Intel's Core i5 Processor is unbelievably fast, and when paired with the 802.11n Wi-Fi and 4GB installed RAM this thing is unstoppable! With its 640GB hard drive, storage won't be an issue anytime soon either. Last but not least when considering the Toshiba r835, you MUST keep a few things in mind... this is a 13.3" laptop, WITH a disk drive, and 9 hours of battery life!!! WTF else could you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop you will ever buy, April 23, 2011
I got this laptop because I wanted a powerful, yet lightweight machine. And this is absolutely perfect. Comes with a USB 3.0 port, an HDMI port, sleep/charge USB/eSATA port, DVD/CD burner, and the battery lasts a good 6-7 hours depending on use and brightness of screen. The only drawback is the 640GB 5400RPM hard drive. This machine is too fast for a 5400RPM HDD, that's why I replaced it with my OCZ 64GB SSD that get a 275/285 MBs/sec read/write speed. With the SSD, this thing boots up in 15 seconds and returns from sleep in only 2 seconds. The 13.3 inch screen may sound small compared to bigger screens, but the resolution and picture quality it top notch.

I first found out about this laptop by visiting the Microsoft Store then by visiting their online store and this is the best value. It's not an i7, but i5 is really close in speed and it's $400 cheaper than an i7. You will not be disappointed by this laptop.

ARRAY(0x9552b15c)