Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on April 29, 2011
For a portable drive this one is the best. It's dirt cheap, plays and writes everything except Blu-Ray (who cares). You do not need to load the optional software if you have Windows Vista or 7.

Yes, it does take two USB ports that are side by side to run. How do you close it without crunching it...you just either put your fingers behind it and slide the disc shut or hold it by the sides with one hand and push the drawer back in. No need to press down on the top of it and crush it but you can put a enough pressure up there too without any problem. Yes it's plastic and could be discontorted if you pushed really hard.

While running a movie it is a bit loud sounding like a tiny fan on high speed but nothing that concerned me.

This will run your laptop/netbook battery down more quickly so it's best for movies while the machine is plugged in.

Bottom line. It's meant to be portable, light, and run everything except Blu-Ray. It does exactly that without fail.
11 comment43 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2011
Simple and easy to use. Very effective. Highly portable. Like it very much.
Got one of these to use on a desktop that doesn't have a dvd burner. But use it also on my laptop.
0Comment28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2011
This drive did not require effort to get it installed and worked out of the box. My biggest hang up is that it requires 2 USB ports right next to each other. This may hinder some tablet users. It works very well and is very solid feeling for transport.
11 comment22 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2011
As the title of my review suggests, I really liked this burner from Toshiba, when it was working correctly. Installation was a breeze, just connect the USB Y-cable to 2 ports and you're ready to go. The first few burns were great, all using the exact same Verbatim media. Then around the 5th burn or so, the burner only allowed me to select 2x burning speed. Using the same media, the next time it allowed me to select up to 8x. This is a seemingly random occurrence and I can't find a reason for it. Also, when I check the burns and backup my media, the program I use will 50/50 allow the dvds burned on this unit to open all way, usually freezing at 99% before throwing up an error. I have used several different burners from Samsung and LG, and this Toshiba is the first to ever give me this problem. It doesn't affect the playability on dvd players, but it does prevent me from backing up dvds created with this burner.
The random burning speed allowed and hit and miss of the readability of the burned discs on my PC offset the positives of a quiet, solidly constructed and reasonably priced dvd burner. I'll stick with the similarly priced but slightly louder Samsung burner.
11 comment12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2011
I am not a computer geek, but this was simple and easy for me to install. Worked great right out of the box. Light weight and compact. Great for playing DVDs and for writing to DVD disks. It requires 2 USB ports which may be an issue for some. If I had to buy again, I would still choose this one.
on April 7, 2011
What can I say, it is a External DVD r/w. That is a given. The drawer is a little touchy, the drive is so light that you have to hold the unit with one hand and push the button with the other. The case is a little thin, so you can not put pressure on top when trying to close, so where do you hold it when you try to close it? Also this is a USB 2.0 Drive, it would be better if it was a 3.0. Response time is not all that great. It does what it is supposed to do.
11 comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2011
Bought at Amazon... was 40% cheaper than at Toshiba's web site ...The DVD Drive is exactly as expected the fact that gets power from the USB is a big plus. Though make sure you have your laptop conected to the electricity or fully charged because it will speed up the rate of consumption... obviously. If you bought this to feed DVDs to netbooks that come without DVD drives.... make sure you do the necesary updates via MicroSoft page.... specially on the W7 starter version. By the way there is no need to pay to anyone or upgrade to a home version or anything... your driver will play movies just by adding a FREE Microsoft service pack.... Enjoy!
on April 10, 2011
The drive installed without any problems to my netbook, and runs great. It should be pointed out that two USB slots that are next to each other, are required to run this drive!
on June 23, 2013
Windows 8 does not include native DVD player software, so if you bought an Ultrabook or similar laptop without a built-in DVD/CD drive Toshiba (and possibly others) do not include software to play DVD's. Windows Media Player WILL play CD's though.

ANYWAY, the included disk has a label on it with the product key. When you install the disk you're prompted for it. Problem was it kept saying "invalid key". I called Toshiba and they said it's either a bad disk or the wrong label on the envelope. They are not able to send out a new disk. Sooo, tomorrow it goes back to Amazon for a refund.

The player itself seemed OK. The price was good. A bit noisy. I also didn't like that you need two side-by-side unused USB ports to run it though. I'm only left with one port for a mouse and would need to use a hub to also use a flashdrive.

Conclusion - if you already have DVD software then you're fine. You can also download free software. I didn't want to - I figured I should get a good disk or Toshiba should have replaced the disk for free. They have very good laptop customer service but when I called about an accessory I got nowhere.

As for free software you might want to check out VLC Player. CNET.com has it on their website, and it seems to have good reviews. It's the software I hear about the most.
on June 6, 2014
I purchased this unit from Toshiba Direct along with a purchase of a new laptop. Except for the problems of loading the CD/DVD as described by other purchasers, the unit worked fine for a few days. The last thing I did with it was to burn a 4-DVD backup of my laptop. It was also used to install various software packages. After sitting for a few days, I wanted to install some more software. I plugged it into my laptop, opened the tray and popped in a CD. I clicked on the drive ICON on my computer to open the files and , all of a sudden, it disappeared from my computer. It just stopped working! I couldn't open the CD drawer and the computer did not recognize the CD. I tried using several USB cables and several different computers, but it was dead! I had to use the manual eject button to retrieve the CD. I'm still waiting for a response from the manufacturer on replacing the unit.