5.0 out of 5 stars Best Laptop in its Class.
Published on September 1, 2012 by MACS

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba refunded my money due to common problems
Published 20 months ago by Cody

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Laptop in its Class., September 1, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7290 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black Widow Red) (Personal Computers)
Another one of Toshiba's finest laptop that more than meets my needs. My choice for this model is mostly based on the success and performance I had with my previous Toshiba model, the X505-Q898, which is based on the 1st generation Intel i7s. It is able to handle much of my graphic Intensive 2D and 3D developments and on a few occasions, some my gaming without issue. The only major complaint I had for the old system was that it was more of a mobile desktop, with 18.4 inch screen, than a Laptop computer, .. if you get my meaning. Though, I still use this laptop.

But these days I wanted something of similar in caliber with today's high-end spec., capabilities and was a little more portable. Again, I found it in this Toshiba model X875-Q7290. A bit smaller, but definitely lighter than the above. I did my due diligence, though, in reviewing other Mfgs. With Toshiba, I did not want the -Q7280 model. It just did not do 1080p HD and because of that, the model has been suffering in the Gaming laptop ratings. My upscale model can do 1080p HD 3D with 120hz refresh, and believe me what a difference, even in normal views. Clearer, brighter, better and you can use and save profiles. I also reviewed and researched, Samsung's Series 7, which was the closest I can find to this Toshiba Model's spec. I was impressed, but in comparison, I found the Toshiba features more to my needs and Samsung became my close second choice. ASUS was also impressive, but as a graphic artist, though they improved, their screen still seemed to have washed-out colors and was not as vivid as my other 2 choices. Why? Don't know. Still researching...

In all, I am mostly a graphic artist and a multimedia enthusiast. I use this system mainly for my 3D and 2D art development with a multitude of software products such as 3ds-Max, Maya and CS5, to name a few, ..really. This system, as before, greatly allows me to be mobile and be able display my developed reels, and graphic creations, with great visual and sound clarity. Gaming is still when my leisure allows and when it does, the few graphic intensive games I played are very detailed and vivid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it..., July 18, 2012
J. J. Brockey (Maple Grove, MN, USA) - See all my reviews
This thing is fast and powerful. I love how fast it boots up from a powered off state. They specs are top-end and it shows in the work lab I've set up on it. No issues at all so far, and I'll add to it if anything comes up. Glad I made this choice. I wanted a 15" screen, but there was no way to get one with the hardware in this machine. Haven't tried out the Blu-Ray Rewriteable yet, but it is definitely a bonus. Battery life is not horrible. I can get a move out of it... may be able to tweak it a little more. I used to have a Sony with half the RAM and processing speed and it would get hot to the touch. This Toshiba stays very cool to the point it hasn't even really been warm yet. I found it for $1749 on here and it was well worth what I paid. Highly recommended if you want / need the performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions and 3D playback review, August 23, 2012
I just unboxed my Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7290 last night and immediately uninstalled the modest amounts of bloat-ware previously installed on the system. Everything was smooth while performing some maintenance as well as quickly installing some needed programs off the bat (i.e., iTunes, wireless mouse software and Microsoft Security Essentials).

My one and only hang-up during this process was in the midst of uninstalling the factory preinstalled Norton antivirus software. The Norton uninstall splash screen was hanging for quite a long while (approx. 10-15 min.) and became unresponsive. When going into Task Manager and ending the process, I went to restart the system but the system was hanging during the Logging Out Windows screen. I had no other choice but to force shut off by holding down the power button for a few seconds. Waiting another few seconds and fired it back on. Norton uninstalled successfully while I stayed in Safe Mode after boot up and restarted the system again. This process bummed me out as I hate having to use the power button to force a shut down.

So on to Blu-ray 3D video playback. I popped in Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas and the 2011 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Video 3D Blu-ray discs using the Toshiba Blu-ray player software that came preinstalled. Setup was a snap using the Nvidia control panel's 3D setup screen. First and foremost, there is zero cross-talk during playback. None, zero, zilch. This is in viewing both the Nvidia 3D test screenshot slideshow and in viewing Blu-ray 3D discs. The glasses can get uncomfortable though, especially around the ears. But Harold's smoke looks like it's getting into my eyes and the imagery from the SI Swimsuit video has considerable depth. The girls pop from the mountain and tree backdrops and the ocean looks like its receding forever in the background. I didn't touch the Nvidia control panel's 3D depth settings, keeping them in default. There is really no need to increase this as this may cause eye strain, headaches and possible cross-talk side-effects. Colors are bright and the sound is loud thanks to the equipped Harmon Kardon speakers. In viewing 3D video, I sat there wishing the screen was larger. I have to admit, I wasn't gung-ho over watching 3D videos on a laptop screen as I believe you only get the true benefit of 3D from a big screen. But when you're in close proximity to a laptop display, the effects are still good and immersive. I own a Panasonic Viera VT30 55" 3D Plasma TV and I get some cross-talk on that. Not on the Toshiba Qosmio's display. So Toshiba did a bang up job.

Other particulars of note: boot-up times are quick as well as shut down times. Good for a non SSD bootable drive. Not a fan of the track pad. Never have been and this one is no improvement. Build quality is solid...and heavy. Not good for transportation as this truly is a desktop replacement unit. And the design is better than past Qosmio versions as the finish is mat as opposed to the previous glossy versions that loved to attract smudges and fingerprints. Very happy with this purchase and I hope it will last a while without many issues. Again.. not a fan of Norton. And they proved it again once I had that uninstall problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba refunded my money due to common problems, May 9, 2013
I absolutely loved this computer for several months, then the problems began. Flickering pink and purple then black screen and loss of one of the HDD. Sent it to Toshiba for repairs and after almost two months, mgt, called me to rectify the problems of repair, and offer me some solutions. I will say that once the repair status gets elevated with Toshiba, you get a real person with authority to rectify the problems. Long story short, they refunded my complete purchase price. This is NOT a normal thing for the Qosmio's but I would not recommend this specific model if they even mfgr. them anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba, the worst brand in computer, June 30, 2014
After one and a half year, this laptop stop working. To fix this, I have to pay more than $800. I paid Toshiba $131.00 just to diagnose it. I will never buy Toshiba again. If there is lower than one star or a negative star, I would give it the maximum negative star.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality and ergonomic design - update - BLUE SCREENS!, November 16, 2012
While the choice of GPU and CPU make this a good performing laptop, certain build quality and ergonomic issues make this a product I would NOT recommend.

With regard to build quality, the trackpad is the worst I have ever experienced and the keyboard is cheap, loose, and rattles around in the device.

With regard to ergonomics, the CD drive is placed where you will most frequently hold or reach for the laptop. It opens *constantly*.

Finally, the were no pictures showing the power connector - which was too bad for me. The power connection is of a barrel type making it impossible to use the device lying on one's right side. Having a right angle connector would avoid this.

-- two months later:

Avoid this product line at all costs. Machine blue screen like it was (Windows) '95. AVOID!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, poor ergonomic design and a hot keyboard., October 24, 2012
When viewing spec sheets between comparable products, this laptop shines when it comes to pricing. It definitely offered more bang for the buck, however spec sheets can't tell you how well it's all put together. The laptop sounds good and performs admirably but all the ports (4 USB/1 Ethernet/1 RGB port/1 HDMI Out port/Headphone/Microphone jacks), CD drive bay, the power cord and exhaust vent are located on the sides. This calls for more desktop space than is required for models with plug-in/vent locations in the rear. This is something I didn't think about until it was in front of me. Particularly annoying is heat distribution and the huge exhaust vent on the side. As a performance/gaming laptop, it quickly gets hot. The laptop surface above the vent is noticeably hotter than the rest and nothing can be placed next to the laptop on the exhaust side. My previous laptop was a Dell XPS M1710 with 4 smaller rear/side vents. Its keyboard surface didn't start getting as hot as this Qosmio until it was old and ready to be replaced. Twice I accidentally overheated and powered down the Qosmio because I absently set something down next to the laptop near the exhaust vent. Once it was a coffee cup.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Laptop, November 12, 2012
I spent a few months looking for the model and configuration of the laptop that would suit my needs. I was between a model from Samsung and Toshiba who possessed similar hardware (i7, HD, screen size 17 "", etc). At the end of the time of selection, I decided to purchase a Toshiba Qosmio's serious. For my sorrow, Laptop malfunctioned right the first time it was turned on, ie, the touchpad did not work. I received the laptop on Monday and on Tuesday morning I requested a refund through amazon site. According to this site, UPS will pick it up in the same shipping address and the next day. So, I proceeded as instructed on the website. However, until Friday the UPS had not sought the Laptop. As I returned to Brazil on Saturday morning, I had no choice but to bring it defective. So I was thinking why I not have chosen the Samsung model, because for years I have the Samsung laptop and never had problems. So, this is my first experience with Toshiba and I hope never more.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, March 17, 2014
It is a great computer runs good after I got it fixed now it runs really well I have a ball on my games

3.0 out of 5 stars :0 pretty good machine, serious snag though, November 30, 2013
So much to love about this laptop, so much disappointment that it maxes out at 16 gigs of RAM. It was there in the specs the whole time but I didn't think for a second they would limit the RAM capacity on an upper-tier machine like this. My previous lower-end machine could accept 32 gigs. No explanation why, or apologies. I even upgraded to windows pro, which I can't capitalize on now. Occasional blue screens, some config issues but I am pleased with it overall. Since the RAM issue stuck me so bad probably going to go with another manufacturer next time after loyalty with Toshiba since 2002.
I had to buy this in a hurry when my previous machine went suddenly, don't make the same mistake I did, inspect all the stats first (the limit was not listed on the web page, but is stated in a detailed PDF that I was able to track down)! The most expensive model available might not be the best choice for you.