Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Toshiba SD4300 Progresive Scan DVD Player (Black)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 8, 2010
You are not spending a fortune here. What do you expect? What you are getting is a bargain priced player, with minimal features. If you have a simple DVD, it will play. I have also played "burned" DVD's without a problem. Don't buy a $20 player, and hook it up to a $5000 television, and expect theater quality. As far as I'm concerned, once it turns on & plays, I've already gotten my money's worth. I don't expect to own this unit for the next 25 years (like some of us who still have an 80's vintage VCR).

This player is also capable of being "hacked" for "all region" use. That means that I can get movies still playing in the theaters, usually from Chinatown or eBay, that are in region code 3 (Asia), and watch them on this unit. Some movies are only available in other markets, not in region code 1 (North America). Here is the "hack" process:

Power ON
Open Tray
Enter Cod : 9879 and 0 For All Region Free (On screen display will show the region set to 0)
Close Tay
Power OFF
Power ON
1818 comments| 350 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2010
So far i had purchased two toshiba dvd players for two different rooms. It's been a few months now, and they are working just fine. They are more expensive dvd players out there that would do exactly what this one does. This is a great buy.
11 comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2010
While the price is great, nothing has been sacrificed in quality. Easy to use, clear video and audio and a sleek appearance. I trusted the Toshiba name and was not disappointed. Recommended.
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2010
I almost went for this product because HDMI was plastered all over the site, but digging a little deeper to the manufacturers website, the datasheet indicates that there is no HDMI terminal. In this case, Amazon is greatly misleading of this product. I also could not find information on the maximum resolution indicating that this is NOT an upconverting DVD player. It uses only a component connection which limits the screen resolution to well below 1080p (and perhaps even lower than 720p). Just beware of what you are getting with this product.
55 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2011
My experience is the same as other 1-stars. Two out of the first four DVDs played, which were brand new and clean DVDs, froze during play (one in multiple spots), requiring reloading to play again and fast-forward through the spots that froze. Also, one of the two sometimes would not even load, claiming "Bad disc." Both DVDs played perfectly on a different, 3-year-old workhorse player. This player seems to get other good reviews (which is why I bought it), but perhaps there was a bad batch.
on October 17, 2010
I haven't owned this long so I can't comment on the longevity (although if it does begin to fail in an unreasonably short period of time I'll update this review).

What I do want to say is that I did the region-free hack from videohelp.com which is very easy to do, and I can confirm that it has been successfully reading Region 1 and Region 2 discs.
on August 31, 2011
Ok, I admit it, I wanted a cheap DVD player for the workout room. Knew I was not going to get bells and whistles and was ok with that. Just wanted a remote and the ability to play a disc and last a reasonable time. Well I got a remote, but I did not get decent playback after only a few months and now exactly a year later the color goes in and out, the picture scrolls horizontally, its basically unwatchable. Ok, $35 lesson learned, I will break the bank and see what a $75 unit can give me I suppose. So roll the dice or pony up an extra $25-$50, and maybe they are not much better! Hate the way things are literally disposable, clogging up landfills and enriching the electronics company.
on October 10, 2010
This is a good DVD player if you plan to occasionally play DVDs. If you plan to play DVDs on a more regular basis, I recommend you purchase a higher quality DVD player.

For the cost of this DVD player, I have no complaints. I guess I should mention that it is a bit louder than my older (and more expensive) DVD player. I guess I should also mention that the loading tray is flimsier than my older (and more expensive) DVD player.

This DVD player only comes with composite video jacks (CVBS) cables. If you want to use the higher quality component video jacks (Y,Pb,Pr), you will have to purchase component cables separately. I recommend Belkin component video and audio cables. Belkin 6' Component RCA Audio & Video Cable Kit

The owner's manual is well written and it is easy to understand. The type size, however, is a bit small.

The remote control is about what you would expect with a low cost DVD player. It uses AAA batteries (included).

Overall, I do recommend this low cost DVD player.
The included SE-R0301 remote control has small buttons spaced out only 9 mm (less than 3/8 inch) horizontally and 8 mm (5/16 inch) vertically - good for children, but quite difficult to press with fingers as thick as of even average man in Europe or USA. Not as bad as the one of the Samsung DVD-P190/P191, but much worse than the SE-R0313 remote control of the Toshiba SD7300. After pressing the Stop button, the player memorizes, where the disc stopped, but only for approx. 20 min., after which the disk has to be watched from the beginning - quite annoying. Bookmarks are not available. Leaving the disk for watching later by pressing either the Step or Play/Pause button wears off the player. No screen saver is engaged, and the motor and the laser are working forever while the disc is rotating.

Otherwise the player is good. It offers richness of functions (including the very useful zoom and slow), intelligent menus (big and easy to see and navigate through), and a legible display unlike any other player in its class. it is not surprising considering that Toshiba invented the DVD. Though the front panel display has only 4 digits to show only chapter number unlike a 8-digit display in the Toshiba SD3950 showing the time of already seen or remaining part. Also, it is lacking the corresponding FL SELECT function to switch between displaying said time and chapter number. However, such lack is compensated since the time of already seen or remaining part can be continuously displayed, as a little distraction, on-screen and also switched to the chapter number.
on August 4, 2011
I have never had an issue with a DVD player like this one. Most the time we can't get it to play. We have to shut it off and on multiple times for it to work. It is annoying. I hate it! We feel lucky when we push play and it actually plays the dvd.

It does it with different DVDs also. I want a different one!