5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and great picture
Published on September 4, 2011 by koipainter

1.0 out of 5 stars New unit does not recognize ANY dvd
Published on May 27, 2012 by Mark D. Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and great picture, September 4, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba SDP95S Portable DVD Player - 9 Inches Display - Black, White (Electronics)
I purchased the Toshiba portable player for my elderly mother who is temporarily residing in an assisted living rehab center. She's always had difficulty using the standard DVD player, so when I suggested a portable one, she was hesitant. She absolutely loves it! She has severe arthritis in her hands and (until now) has been "techno-resistant." The Toshiba LCD portable player has given her confidence and the ability to watch classic movies at will. It's user friendly with a crisp picture.

1.0 out of 5 stars New unit does not recognize ANY dvd, May 27, 2012
Coincidence but this product was purchased by my 82 yr old mother in order to watch DVDs when she could not get out of bed. She has standard dvd players in other rooms of the house. This unit works fine except for one major malfunction: it will not recognize any commercial dvd. Obviously the discs can be viewed without problem on her other dvd players, but not the Toshiba SDP95SWN. Toshiba offers no support for this problem beyond "make sure the discs are clean....". So the product is useless and Toshiba is not interested in replacing it ("we never have heard of this..."). Stick with a company that stands behind their products (Sony, Panasonic..). I ran into a similar reaction with a "stuck" Toshiba LCD TV display column that shows permanent blue when the TV is on.

2.0 out of 5 stars No A/V Input!, December 23, 2011
Model: SDP95SWN - Most of the descriptions I've read online mention that the unit has a "Switchable A/V input and output"... But in fact, there is no way to get a signal IN to the unit. One of the reasons I purchased this unit was for this feature; which apparently it can't even provide. I called Toshiba support and after a 32 minute phone call, they indeed verified that the SDP95SWN Toshiba Portable DVD player does NOT accept any input signals! - The support guy insisted that they could no do anything and that the online descriptions were not coming from them and that the resellers write their own descriptions! Very Disappointed with the support I received by Toshiba!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best portable DVD I've ever had, May 15, 2013
I came to Amazon to find a second one of these because my first is so good! I was surprised to see people have trouble with them. But read those reviews: My kids broke it, doesn't play bootleg cds. Really? C'mon. I have two boys that tear into everything and they've used the Toshiba every day for the last 2 years. 2 years for a portable dvd player with a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I needed another (for me, the first is working but the boys use it constantly) so I went to Best Buy but they didn't have a Toshiba, they had Sony's. Fine, I bought a 9 inch screen Sony. Garbage. Not nearly the same as the Toshiba, so I took it back after a week and am trying to find another Toshiba. Easier to use than the Sony and better looking, too. I never write reviews, but this little DVD player is amazing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't play all types of DVDs, February 7, 2013
Mrjob123 (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Its a great product I won't lie. But I had to return it when I realized I couldn't play my home made videos or pirated/ bootleg DVDs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product, April 24, 2013
This will not play any disk after used a few times. The message "disk not authorized" appears. Do not buy. Terrible product/

1.0 out of 5 stars Tosiba DVD player, September 21, 2013
Doesn't work at all. Plugged it in inserted disc and it said disc was no good. I tried several CD's same thing happed. Can't figure out the problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for use by children, December 26, 2012
I bought this dvd player solely for plane and car travel with my two young children. All it took was one good closing of the top at a fast speed from my 4 year old for it to crack the screen. I only owned this unit for 9 months and was told by Toshiba's customer service, after much confusion and lack of information, that they could not repair it, discount a new one or replace it. All in all, I would just keep in mind that buying this dvd player means you might be buying one yearly if you have small children around it. I'm never buying from Toshiba again after the experience I had with their customer service!

Rate and Discover Movies