5.0 out of 5 stars All the features of high priced notebooks, very little dough

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for review
Haven't bought because all the time it is OUT OF STOCK
Published on March 22, 2002 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars All the features of high priced notebooks, very little dough, February 18, 2002
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite 1005-S157 Laptop (1.06-GHz Celeron, 256 MB RAM, 15 GB hard drive) (Personal Computers)
I love this notebook! Solid construction, great feeling controls and keyboard, easy to operate, and well designed. The standard configuration fit both my needs and pocketbook. Looking for a reliable product I checked with a local used laptop dealer/repair facility before buying the Toshiba. In their opinion the Toshiba was at or near the top. Granted, in choosing the S157, I was more interested in a product that will give me a few good years of service, than something on this weeks cutting edge of technology. Never the less, this notebook has plenty of horsepower, and lots of fabulous features. A winner in my book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme value, February 25, 2002
H. Stratton "cstulsa" (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
I have always been a fan of Toshiba notebook computers. Rarely have they been cutting edge, but the ones I have owned have been rock-solid reliable and rugged. I was pleased to find this one at a very good price. It does have all of the features and speed I presently need in a notebook, and is so much cheaper than those with even a little bit more capability that I had to buy it. If in two years I need USB 2.0, CD/DVD burning capability, or some other important new feature in a notebook, I won't feel bad about upgrading since this one cost so little up front.
With the unit now in my hands, I'm not disappointed. It runs well and seems Toshiba rugged. If I had to make it a better unit I would have added a built-in ethernet and IrDA port, but neither of these are deal busters since I already have an ethernet PC Card. Truly no complaints so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Value, March 17, 2002
EllieRN (Myrtle Beach, SC United States) - See all my reviews
After buying and returning 2 HPze1110 laptops, I purchased this Toshiba. Boy was I really glad that those HP's didn't work! This computer is so very much better than the HP, it is unbelievable that they were the same low price. It is faster and the screen is really good. The sound could be better, but still better than the HP. I really like that I can replace the DVD-ROM with a CD-RW(actually you can just swap them in and out from the same bay). It also has 3 USB ports, one is on the right side which makes it easy to connect a mouse. It worked great right out of the box. No new BIOS to flash, no new drivers to install. (all of the above had to be done to the HP before it could use anything USB or run a DVD...and then it still had problems reading text). Had no problems with the DVD at all. I have only had it 2 weeks, but must say I am extremely pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money !, March 27, 2002
The laptop plays DVD's without any problems at full screem mode. The included software is basically just Win XP Home, nothing else is worth anything. The screen is fine. The laptop seems to get very hot after just a few minutes of heavy use, this is my first laptop so maybe all laptops get hot ? The fan for CPU/system cooling works slow at most times, but every few minutes it begins to make a lot of sound and runs at full speed. Again this might be happening with all laptops. The tech support is very good, much better than something like Dell. Te weight is acceptable, no too much, not light either. The biggest missing featureis a CD-RW drive and having to remove DVD drive if you want to use the floppy drive. This exchange between DVD/floopy drive can be done without rebooting also. Can't comment on battery as I haven't tested it. The speakers not very rudimentary, not worth listening music or movies on them. All in all a very good value for money if you get it at under 700 or 800 bucks. One good thing about Toshiba is that they are not ripping you off for the extra battery you might need unlike Sony who will charge you around 250 bucks ! Toshiba is asking only 100 for extra one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for review, March 22, 2002
Haven't bought because all the time it is OUT OF STOCK

5.0 out of 5 stars To clarify some misunderstanding., May 4, 2002
DealHunter (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This celeron processor is Tualatin-core based. it's the same core as the P III-M. This type celeron chip could be running at 100 or 133MHz bus, coud have 128 or 256 Kb L2 cache. In this laptop, it's 133MHz and 256 Kb L2 !!! compare to P III-M, it's just short of L2 cache (256 vs 512 Kb), still it's much better than other celeron running at 100MHz bus and/or 128 kb L2.(say toshiba 1805-s207). even some old P III just running at 100MHz bus also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Price but...., April 9, 2002
By A Customer
...I'm sorry if it's out of stock for you.
I was really looking for a notebook around Xmas 2001 but I had been putting off that purchase for a while and relying on my work computer. Then with recent economic turmoil, I knew I had to go out & find a new computer (in the event my company takes my work computer away!!!)
This computer is amazing! I was initially worried with the Lotus Smartsuite software being incompatible with Microsoft software, but it is compatible with MS Office products. The DVD Rom works fine. Boot up time is fine. It's lightweight and the price is virtually the same as a good quality TV.
Drawbacks would include a missing serial port (but you can buy a simple parallel to serial converter). Gaming might be a problem, but I'm not planning to play Madden 2002 on it. ....As far as a 15GB hard drive, I need to find out where the TOshiba CD-R/W drives are at to do some hardcore backups of data...
PS: Grab that Canon S300 inkjet printer with the Toshiba rebate money. You won't regret it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat that price, April 2, 2002
By A Customer
...I think you can't find any better price laptop than this.
If you are not thinking about playing the latest video games( video memory is paltry 8MB ) or do some heavy duty graphic processing ( after basic stuff installed, you end up only 10 GB or less of storage ), this will give you the most bang for the buck.
Despite of Celeron processor, the performance of routine daily tasks seem to be fine thanks to 256MB of memory.
Even though you can't add more storage by purchasing a modular hard drive or it doesn't have built-in ethernet capability, it is a well-built and sturdy laptop to own.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good price, piss-poor quality, January 30, 2004
I will never buy another Toshiba notebook again. I had always heard they did not run the smoothest, but made up for it in durability. In my experience, Windows XP constantly crashed, mysterious errors appeared constantly, and it often overheated and turned itself off. However, the durability was even more degrading. The battery and the AC adapter both fried within about a year and a half of purchase. Then the screen kicked out shortly thereafter, all conveniently after the warranty expired.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with this solid laptop., August 3, 2002
Mark Lahren (Bismarck, North Dakota USA) - See all my reviews
This laptop is exactly what I was looking for. It's extremely well-built, and I haven't had any problems at all with mine after four months use. The 14.1 inch active-matrix display is bright and the colors are vivid. It comes with plenty of ram and a decent-sized hard drive too. While this isn't a top-of-the-line laptop, it doesn't cost three times as much either. And while it won't run the latest 3D games, it will do everything else just fine. Well actually, come to think of it, I did load "Trainz", an excellent recent 3D model railroading simulator on it. I was stunned that it ran at all, but was really surprised that it ran at 30+ frames per second at 800 x 600 resolution (by the way, the default and maximum resolution for the computer is 1024 x 768). Now I can design and run my model trains wherever I go (a bonus is that Trainz does not require the CD to run the program). It's got just 8 megs video ram, but I'm amazed at how well it runs some older Windows games too. What initially sold me on the Toshiba brand was how nice the keyboard felt to use and how well the touchpad worked. Nonetheless, I do highly recommend getting one of the small optical USB mice that are available (mine's a Belkin and I like it). Touchpads are okay, but a real mouse is much much easier to use, and if you get an optical mouse, you can use your leg or any other surface to mouse on with no problems. The 1005-S157 comes loaded with Windows XP home edition. It was my first exposure to XP and I must say I love it. It's a very stable operating system, and when put together with this very stable and solid notebook, it's a wonderful combination. Battery life is on the short side however, but at about 2 hours of normal use, it is just fine for me. All-around an extremely nice value.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›