5.0 out of 5 stars Good Laptop - Extremely Linux (Ubuntu) Friendly!
After spending a couple of weeks researching the current laptop market for a good general purpose, desktop replacement machine, I discovered the A135-S4427 was being sold at a nationwide chain as an "in store only" special for $200 off the list price. That put it right at the price range I was looking at, and gave me a lot more than I was expecting at that price...
Published on March 31, 2007 by Paul Barwick

3.0 out of 5 stars Just because you tag on 'Vista' doesn't make it next gen
PROS:

1GB RAM - A given standard, even for start laptops

DVD Burner - A nice luxury

120 GB HD - Hefty enough for the profession, light enough for the business user

Widescreen Display - Bright and clean

CONS:

Last gen Core Duo - The Core 2 Duos are much, much more efficient and are being seen in many more...
Published on February 21, 2007 by Adam L. Safianow

1.0 out of 5 stars toshiba bad, April 27, 2007
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 15.4" Widescreen Laptop (Intel Core Duo Processor T2250, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, SuperMulti DVD Drive, Vista Premium) (Personal Computers)
I am to angry to even type anything. I called Toshiba about my defective USB ports, they told me they would send me a box to have my laptop repaired in, then they didnt send anything. I called weeks later and they tell me my warranty is up so they wouldnt send it. I told them I CALLED WHEN I STILL HAD A WARRANTY, back in december 2006. It is now April 2007 and I still have no USB cords. They keep on transferring me to Customer Relations, but I sit on hold for over an hour before I give up and hang up. That has been happening for a couple weeks now and Ive been calling daily. Then they give me these stupid case ID numbers that dont help, because I get one every time I call, so when I call again the representative reads all of them before helping me. i think, if you own a toshiba and live in America, AMERICANS SHOULD HELP YOU!! Whatver country you live in, thats where your representative should be from! I dont know when theyll get my laptop repaired, I think they give you the run around till your warranty runs up or till you get tired, then go pay a repairman by yourself

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, May 13, 2007
I picked up this notebook at OfficeMax for $650 (regular $800). Overall, I am very pleased with the machine. It's very lightweight and easy to carry, but still powerful enough to be a desktop replacement.

Pros: Lots of computer for the money: Core Duo processor, 120GB SATA, 1GB RAM, beautiful widescreen display, Vista Home Premium

Cons: Keyboard layout is odd to make room for the never-used multimedia control keys, difficult to downgrade from Vista to XP (took many hours to find correct drivers), headphone jack in front makes it hard to use in cramped spaces such as an airplane.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELENT NOTEBOOK AND COST/BENEFIT, May 12, 2007
RAMON "RAM" (SAO PAULO(BRAZIL)) - See all my reviews
EXCELENTT NOTEBOOK

HI-TECH PRODUCT FROM TOSHIBA THAT'S A REFERENCE OF NOTEBOOKS IN THE WORLD.

NICE COST/BENEFIT, CONSIDERING THE MARKET OF NOTES.

ONE GOOD POINT IS 4 USB PORTS. YOU CAN PLUG A LOT THINKS AND DON'T NEED TO BY A HUB.OTHER THINK, IS 15.4 WIDESCREEN LCD, THAT IMPROVE HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGE.BATTERY LIFE IS THE SAME AS THE OTHER NOTES.DVD-RW WORKS VERY NICE IN ALL TYPE OF MIDIAS, INCLUDING DUAL LAYER DVD AND CDRW.A NEGATIVE POINT IS TOSHIBA SHOULD SEND A TRANSPORT BAG TOGETHER. THAT'S ALL.

I RECOMEND THIS PRODUCT

RAMON

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Laptop, February 2, 2012
Was good for the price. crashed within 3 months so I re-installed the OS and partitioned the drive and it worked reasonably well for 3 years until the screen went bad and couldn't be replaced. Good, cheap laptop for school use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very high maintenance PC, January 22, 2009
I purchased this PC to use as my working laptop as I travel around to universities. I charge by the hour for my services, so the goal is to have a PC that is a tool for my trade.

I estimate I have spent over 100 hours of personal and business time in the last year just trying to get this thing to work. It has also been in the shop twice. I am on my second hard drive and that one is beginning to fail. I find I must run Task Manager to monitor for programs that are not responding. (Many times, Task Manager has itself responded with "Not Responding")

The CPU and hard drive seem to be under a heavy workload even when nothing is running. I spent many hours reviewing the services and eliminating those that are unnecessary but that has not helped.

I upgraded the RAM to 2Meg, but that did not seem to help much.

I wiped the hard drive clean and reinstalled all software. That did not help either.

My first car was a VW bug. I traveled with a tool-box just to be sure I would get from point A to point B and quite often had to use it.

The same holds true for this PC. I have used the recovery disk at least 10 times. I meant to purchase a machine that supported me as I earned my living. Instead, I am finding I must be a PC mechanic in order to get it to operate on a daily basis.

I almost can laugh at one error: Even as I struggle to keep this thing up and running, once in a while...for a day or so... the R key doesn't work...

DONT BUY IT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away -- Hardrive problems -- Stay Away, December 6, 2008
I have had this product for 2 years. I barely used it the first year b/c I was still using my old Dell (the laptop this Toshiba was supposed to replace), and I had to send the Toshiba to the shop for hardrive repair just before the warranty expired. After being in the shop of about 2 months, I got it back. Now it about 6 months later and the warranty has expired and I'm having the same problems. I've been researching the internet and this seems to be a common problem for these Toshiba's. I guess I'm back to my old Dell (which is still working).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for web browsing an email only, April 8, 2007
OK for basic web browsing. Run MSConfig during set up to disable the Toshiba Start up add-ons. At best this is second PC only.

Memory is below par for Vista Premium Home and the integrated video is minimalistic.

Striped 75% of the Aero features and added another gig of ram to be able to run office 2007.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good if it wasn't for Vista., April 2, 2007
Sultana (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Update April 2010: So I've had this laptop for 5 years and 2 years ago I finally opted for a Dell desktop to replace it. Why? Let's see it would freeze every single time I'd boot up and I'd have to boot it up twice every time. Formatting didn't help. Support for Toshiba was hopeless idiots who told me to go to the "nearest" center which was so far away from me I couldn't get to it via public transportation - and I live in NY so I have no car. The sound drivers got messed up more than once and since there's no dedicated video card, I couldn't play any new video games on it. 6 pounds is considered light? Yea maybe if you go to the gym every day since you're 10. I'm a female and this thing is so freaking heavy to lug around it just sits and collects dust in my closet at this point. I think I will instead invest in a netbook now for my on the go purpose because at this point it probably has the same system specs anyway (and with windows 7 on it.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're thinking you can just buy this, format it and install Windows XP instead...think again. Toshiba no longer supports XP and they are all for Vista...so you won't find drivers and deleting Vista will only give you missing driver errors. Vista is annoying to get used to especially for someone like me who is currently using Windows 2000. I though I could replace my desktop with the laptop but looks like I'll be using both and transferring 1 program at a time to the laptop hoping that it'll work properly. Maybe in a year or so, Vista will actually be worth more than an annoyance and an extra price tag on top of a great laptop :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent budget notebook, few irritating design flaws, December 19, 2007
Decent hardware for the price (got it for around $500 a few months ago, can't believe they're still selling it for close to $1000.)

It runs Vista perfectly well, including the new Aero interface (contrary to the statement in another review.)

Few irritating problems:
- It has only one CTRL key, sitting on the left, so if you are used to hitting CTRL on the right of the keyboard, this will take some getting used to (it makes some features of PowerPoint incredibly awkard to use.)
- It has no built in mircrophone (must have saved at least 10c there ....)
- It comes with endles useless software from Toshiba that takes a long time to exterminate, including a remarkably ill-conceived program that causes images of the function keys to appear every time the mouse pointer moves near the top of the screen

4.0 out of 5 stars laptop, August 24, 2007
My first Laptop. I have nothing to compare it to. It works well. easy to use. It did not seem as though I had used it 2 hours and the battery went low. I did get a clear warning on the computer. No complaints