4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent basic laptop - very minor quibbles
First, if you're looking for a laptop with all the bells and whistles, this version of Toshiba's Satellite isn't it. Still, it's a great unit. The screen is amazing. Crystal clear and sharp. Not overly glossy to the point where you can see who's standing behind you. Movies look amazing on it.

You can get by with the 1 gig of ram it comes with, but be prepared...
Published on January 30, 2008 by P. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic No Frills Laptop
This laptop is a decent choice for those looking for a budget computer. Hard core gamers, enthusiasts, or anyone else looking for high-performance should look elsewhere. But for surfing the internet, office programs, and other basic applications this is a great choice. The dual-core Intel processor is more than enough to run those basic applications smoothly and quickly...
Published on April 6, 2008 by Harvey Ramos

4.0 out of 5 stars nice laptop for the price, March 21, 2008
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804 15.4-inch Laptop (Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) (Personal Computers)
I bought this laptop from circuit city about a month ago. I'm pretty much impressed. It runs smooth and fast. doesn't seem to run very hot but if your going to be using it for more than 5 hours at a time I might get a cooling pad for it. The only con I've noticed is that it doesn't rip dvd that fast. But you can always buy a external dvd ripper for that

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe, July 10, 2008
Princess (Aurora, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This computer was okay for me at first. But after less than a year, now it's having some major problems. It holds a charge with the new charger I had to buy(the old one broke easily) but it will not charge itself. The charger also falls out easily(as it did with the original charger as well). I had to buy a new battery for it, but it turns out that wasn't the problem. I now have to by a new charger for it, but I don't think that's going to be the problem either as the charger is managing to make the laptop stay on.

I think it's actually that piece that you connect the charger into on the computer. And if it is, I have no idea how to fix that. Not to mention I've already spent over 100$ trying to find out what's wrong with this thing.

Far too many problems for being less than a year old. Not to mention, it's running Vista(granted, sadly, all computers are nowadays).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Laptop for and Awsome Price., March 19, 2008
This is my first laptop and I got to say, I like. I use to have a Desktop, but that crash on me, So, since I really don't have the room for it, I decied to go for this Toshiba Satillite a205 Notebook instead, and I got to say, I'm loving it. And for he price I got it (499.00), it was a steal.

The only drawback has to be the Itunes problem. I downloaded the program to burn cds, but I can't do it. I could import them using Itunes, but not burn the tracks onto a blank cd. I took it back to Best Buy so they could check it out, and they told me that it was a Vista thing, and that if I wanted to burn to just use Windows Media. I really don't mind, the reason I got Itunes was for my Ipod.

Aside form that, I like it. It's got a good amount of memory (120gbs) and if you don't mind Vista driving you crazy (I'm still used to XP), and if you're looking for a bargain, then this is the notebook for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba T2330 Laptop, March 23, 2008
Arnetta Dandrea (Dunnellon, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This notebook is cheap and powerful with a T2330 processor. It has a 160 GB hard drive and 2 GB RAM which is remarkable for the price I paid. Toshiba machines have always been heavy and bulky and this one is no exception. Previously I had a 17 inch 12 pound mammoth but its technology was incomparable at the time. Also, only XP Home Edition was included. Vista is better as I detest games. I really like this inexpensive notebook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good PC, terrible OS, April 14, 2008
The laptop by itself is awesome, great look nice hardware profile. At the beginning the mouse pat was almost un-useful the web cam driver crash every time that the PC resumes from stand by and windows OS was really slow. I don't know if all this problems came from factory installation but I refresh the hard drive with the restore DVD and the performance is outstanding. No hardware/software problems so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars Linux users beware, February 15, 2009
I've had this laptop for around 18 months, and it is sufficient for what I use it for. If you're looking for a primary system though, I'd look someplace else. If you do purchase one, the first thing you should do is stick another GB of RAM in it. The 1GB that it comes with really doesn't cut it, especially if you're going to run Vista on it. I currently have Ubuntu 8.04 installed, and ran into 2 issues that anyone who intends to run a Linux laptop should be aware of.

First, the wifi card is an internal USB RTL8187b. Yes, that's right -- internal USB. This is unsupported in linux by Realtek, and the 8187 driver DOES NOT work with this card. This also means that you can't just replace the wifi card with a supported chipset to fix the problem. It's a proprietary design and is apparently specific to this laptop. The only way to get the wireless to work is to use a Windows driver wrapper (didn't work on my distro), or compile your own patched driver. Not a novice problem to solve. Also, the wifi switch on the case is apparently software driven and doesn't function in linux (it's always on).

Second, the power management is flaky. I didn't have Vista on it long enough verify whether it's an issue there as well, but the laptop consumes power even when off. Not just in sleep mode, even when completely powered down. Let the machine sit for a couple days and the battery is dead without fail. I know there was a BIOS issue with the A105 that did this, but the A205s appear to be notorious for bricking during a BIOS flash. I'm not going to try it.

All in all, you get what you pay for. Toshiba apparently cut a bunch of corners to hit their price point on this one, so this is likely the last Toshiba I'll buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT COMPUTER FROM A SATISFIED CUSTOMER!, June 18, 2009
I bought this computer in January 2008 and sold it yesterday-June 2009. It came with a duo core processor and 1 gb of Ram. I purchased an additional 1 GB of RAM and had it installed. This computer is great for the price! Let me tell you that I use and abuse computers and this one held out! The major obstacle you will have is getting Vista to work properly. To get it going you have to reduce Vista to minimal settings and take off all the extra malware that it comes with. After this it works like a charm. I used it during two years of college and it went through major abuse but it held in there playing games, itunes, and all sorts of downloads. I bought it on sale from Best Buy for 400 dollars and sold it yesterday for 300 dollars on craigslist because people like the duo core that works well and runs itunes, bf2, bf1942, MS Word and Autocad like a charm. And if you are having problems with your ipod you need to update itunes or replace the firewire cable. Trust me, often it is just the apple firewire cable. I'm no apple wiz but after blaming my Toshiba for not detecting my ipod I began to suspect my firewire and bought a new one from Apple and the itunes loaded in a sec.

One Note:
For the laptop and technically challenged - Anti-Virus software and IE8 bog down your system. Remove it and back up your sensitive data on an external hard drive and run Vista on minimal settings and it will run super fast.

Also: it over heats if you keep it on a blanket or a table and run it for hrs. and hrs. like I did and then automatically shuts off so invest in a cooling fan. Heat is the enemy of all electrical components.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba laptop, April 6, 2008
Wylie Miller (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I received this timely and have enjoyed using it for several weeks now. It works well for about 2 hours without a charge. Screen display is superb, speed is excellent. It will serve me well this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice choice, April 7, 2008
has a nice sleek design with very soft rounded edges, sloped palm rests, and even a glossy screen that you don't usually find on business notebooks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, April 3, 2009
I bought this laptop from somewhere else, and I've been using it for 14 months non stop for video application, email, word processing and so on so far so good for it doesn't crash once. the only upgrade I made is with the ram. It's now running on 1.5 GB ram. The sound on this baby is the top, it has good internet reception both wired or wireless. Very good image quality, good hand rest but I only give it 4 stars it lacks usb ;port and the ROM drive is not superior. It doesn't have camera nor microphone on it. Besides that the Toshiba satellite a205-s5804 is a reliable laptop. So I am very satisfied with this Toshiba product. Highly recommend it.