Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on May 17, 2014
So to start things off I am pretty good with computers but not the best in spelling or grammar so if something does not sound right (grammar wise) please let me know. I know whats a good buy and whats not. This laptop I would say is a good buy. Just like with everything else there are pros and cons to this laptop.
The model I have is the Toshiba C55T A5123 ( 500 GB HDD, 2.13 GHz Processor, 4 GB Ram, Touch screen capabilities )
The only difference between the C55T A5123 and the C55 A5105 is that the C55T has a touchscreen.
The pros on this laptop are...

(1) Keyboard is nicely laid out (in my opinion) I really like how it has the number pad and how the keys are shaped
I enjoy using the mouse pad not to big not to small and the left and right click buttons are big :) way better than a all in one
Windows mouse pad
(2) The touch screen is responsive and for the price I am happy with it
(3) Speakers are LOUD
(4) This laptop has pretty decent specs (4 GB Ram, 500 GB Hard drive, duel core processor clocked at 2.13 GHz, Screen has a decent resolution 1366 x 768)
(5) You are able to upgrade the hard drive and ram!!
(6) Great amount of ports
(7) Price is alright $400.00

CONS
(1) There is only ONE ram slot not much of a con but it is just me nit picking
(2) Can be slow at times depending on what you are doing
(3) A little bit thick. I feel like I am using a laptop from 2010 sometimes because of how thick it is
(4) battery life is only about 4 1/2 hours
(5) Speakers arnt the best if you have them very loud it distorts the quality

Overall I really do like this laptop:) its not painfully slow or to high priced. This laptop is fast for watching YouTube, going on Amazon, and overall fast on the internet. One thing that somewhat bummed me out is only having ONE ram slot. That means at most ram you can install is 8 GB on this thing but I dont think you will need more then 8 GB anyways because this laptop cant play graphic intensive games or do much video editing. Like I said earlier its just me nit picking. I like the texture on it and the touch screen its very handy when it comes to using windows 8. Honestly if your PC (laptop or desktop) dont have a touch screen I think windows 8 is annoying to use. To me its harder to navigate through without a touch screen. You can get to the charms bar by pressing the windows key and C but I wouldnt want to do that all the time just to bring up the charms bar. Windows 8 on this laptop functions pretty well. Its snappy when it comes to booting up and loading programs and fun to use for the most part. I think in general windows 7 has a better setup, the overall layout is attractive and built more towards using a keyboard and mouse. In Windows 8 you have to swipe up (or click the small down arrow) to see ALL your programs and keep on swiping to the left to get to that one program you want to use whereas in Windows 7 you click the start button to see all your programs and they are all right there in folders. I dont think Windows 8 is bad at all I do like using it with a touch screen laptop its just I would suggest using Windows 8 with touch screen devices because without it the operating system can be frustrating to use. I think the best time to buy a laptop without a touch screen is after Windows 10 launches because they do bring back the start button which makes it much easier to use.
I hope this helps even a little. If you have any questions or just want to leave a comment please feel free to do so:)
88 comments|201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2014
I received this computer because the owner wanted to change to windows 7, so I used this opportunity to do a review on my blog, 123techreview in blogspot.

First of all, I have to say, this machine runs slow with the windows 8.1 it comes with, so I downgraded to windows 7 and it runs smooth, I also updated the HDD to SSD, the samsung 840 evo and it runs better, but the things that require processing power, like opening Excel, unzipping/unraring, etc, makes the computer crawl.

BTW, if you get this laptop, and beside get a SSD, you will be better off putting that 100 bucks on the new laptop and be getting a better experience overall.

I normally don't post benchmarks scores, but these are worth mentioning:

This Celeron N2820 has a score of 1040, that is VERY low for cpu processing.

I recommend you get a pentium or a Core i3 first or second gen that can handle processing better.

I found these alternatives:

**ASUS D450CA with a Pentium 2117U, has a score of 1647 (and exactly the same price, as of this review)
**Acer E510 with a Pentium N3520 quad core processor, with a score of 1932
**Dell 954BLK with Pentium 2127U, score of 1868

and if you can make it, one of the cheapest core i3 laptop
**Dell 1435BLK with a Core i3 3rd gen 3217U, with a score of 2299

As you can see, for the exact same price you can get a laptop thats 50% faster, and if you can pay 100 dollars more, you get more that 2 times the power.

So if you're thinking getting this + SSD to make it faster, get yourself a core i3 laptop, you'll thank me
33 comments|222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 2, 2014
You can't go wrong spending (250 @ Best Buy) for this laptop. It is perfect for average use, not really a gaming computer but if you need a basic laptop with decent speed at this price point it is as good as it gets. Not many bells and whistles, but setup is a breeze and it runs smoothly despite the latest incarnation of Windows. Speakers are the only thing that is brutal, so if that is a main concern you may want to look elsewhere.
55 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2014
No, this computer is not blazingly fast. No gaming, no CAD files or large Photoshop or audio-video project creation. BUT, it is _exactly_ what my wife needed to replace her 8-year-old Toshiba Satellite, though. After configuring Windows 8.1 to get rid of the awful "Modern" interface and Start Page, she is very pleased with it. This notebook is perfect for someone whose computer use is built around Office app use (I installed a licensed copy of M$Office 2010 for compatibility with her standard work environment), cruising the web, downloading and viewing (and even light manipulation) of video/audio/camera, etc. files, email, social networking and more: just ordinary, everyday use. For her, it's a perfect fit. Little quibbles? Sure, but nothing overwhelming. I didn't like the way the charging cord stuck out in a more than 2" protrusion (just begging for a damaged charging port), so I added a little right-angle adapter that cut the protrusion down to a safer (in my view) 3/4". Win 8.1 interface on a non-touchscreen computer, as noted above, is pretty annoying--especially to someone like my wife who really, REALLY will ONLY use desktop apps with the thing. *meh* A couple of minutes configuring Win 8.1 to make the "Modern" interface just go away, and the computer now has no flaws in her eyes.

KEY: NOT a gaming or audio/video/Photoshopping computer--nothing requiring heavy number-crunching. EXCELLENT for quotidian computing. Her big "Likes"? The screen/display; the keyboard (especially since her former Satellite lacked a number pad: helps when she's modding an Excel file from work). Her comment? "It just works."

NOTE: She's a school librarian and supervises/teaches at two different schools in our small, rural school district. Her supervisor provided her with a Dell notebook to use, taking her work between schools and for use at home when working on school work--also a Win 8.1 compy. She prefers using her own at home, and much prefers this computer to the Dell, though both are spec'ed about the same. *shrugs* This one just "feels" better to her.
on April 21, 2014
Excellent computer!!. This is my second unit. I purchased one (C55A5300) for my wife on Cyber Monday. This unit (C55A5105) which I purchased today from Best Buy is essentially the same specs. It's a great low-mid range computer that handles the basics without any issues. My daughter streams Netflix and Youtube constantly on this machine. It doesn't come with any Microsoft software preloaded, so don't expect any. I downloaded OpenOffice which is a completely free alternative to Microsoft Office. I waited just for Best Buy to have another under $250 computer, and viola here it is!.... but they sell out fast!

I should also mention that these Toshiba units are exclusively built for and sold through Best Buy. I find it hilarious when I see the 3rd party sellers selling these Best Buy units for huge mark ups. Get it from Best Buy!...$249.99 all day long.
66 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2014
My wife uses this for playing "Candy Crush Saga" . I am on the second charger plug and the USB port doesn't work anymore.
Today it's totally locked up and I can't do anything it won't even reboot.
I will try to let the battery run down and see if that will reset the system.
on September 2, 2014
I knew I was taking a chance buying a laptop at such a low price, but I figured it was worth the chance. The first day I got it, I could see, and feel, right away that the laptop wasn't exactly sturdy, but that didn't bother me, and it seemed to work really well and have everything I needed. I downloaded a 2007 version of Microsoft Office I had bought for my previous Toshiba Satellite (a really good one that was stolen a few weeks ago in a burglary), and was pretty happy. However, as soon as I went on the internet (Internet Explorer and Firefox), I was inundated by pop ups, virus warnings (some real, some fake), and it became so bad that I could not get anything done online. So I shut down for the night thinking I'd get better virus, popup block, and malware protection the next day. Next day when I go to get online, I can't. "Proxy server not responding." I tried all of the known solutions for this, and there are several good solutions, but none of tgen worked because this computer does not let you change any internet settings regarding proxy servers. I even called a professional computer diagnostic and repair expert, who is a friend and spent over an hour trying to solve the problem, and we still could not fix it. Finally, I reset the laptop to factory settings and returned it. I'm going to spend a while saving and just get a decent laptop in a few months. In the meantime, my Kindle Fire HDX will be good enough. I don't recommend buying this -- remember you get what you pay for, and if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Sort of old cliches, but they really apply here.
on September 1, 2014
I really liked this laptop, because for the price is very cheap, I can say that performance is standard and for any student like me prove very helpful, widely recommend, thanks again to Amazon for their services, Greetings from Venezuela.
on June 25, 2015
I ordered the Toshiba Satellite C55-A5105 and a Toshiba Satellite Satellite C55-5101 showed up.
I believe that the latter has a little newer processor. All the other specs line up pretty well.
When it showed up, I plugged it in, turned it on, let Windows install then I turned off the Secure Boot
and wiped it completely and put on Linux Mint v.17. Now it's bullet proof!
The case is a little more delicate than my previous Satellite M305. But for the price, you can't beat it!
review image
on September 6, 2014
The laptop runs just fine and the features are as described but it's very cheaply constructed. I used it for the third time, as an adult who has used many laptops in the past and knows how to care for electronics. I simply closed the screen. My finger went right through, cracking it and rendering it entirely unusable. I don't know if this one is simply defective or if they are all this flimsy, but just be aware that it's not going to be a durable machine.