Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Price:$414.99+ $7.99 shipping

on September 3, 2013
Do not be fooled by the negative reviews. This is a really good laptop for the price. As others have said, it's enough performance for normal tasks. I use mine for IT utilities, but also at home for normal activities as well as hooking HDMI to TV to watch movies on the web. Very nice.

In response to the naggers:

Speakers:
Actually I do agree that the speakers do not have great sound. It is clean, but you get high end frequency response (lots of treble). Still, for a laptop, I don't care what the quality sounds like. External jack or HDMI fills in for higher quality sound for my music or movies.

**EDIT: To help the sound, disable the DTS Sound app, and set the audio hardware to at least 96000 Hz, it increases the volume a lot. The speakers are still poor, but the external jack sounds much better. HDMI is completely separate and sounds good all around.

Windows 8 Guide:
Seriously? You're going to knock down a product cause it doesn't come with a Windows 8 guide? Try going to Microsoft's website or YouTube and you'll find a tremendous amount of how-to's and videos to get you started.

"Pad is very sensitive to touch":
Not true. I was actually very impressed by the feel and response of the touch pad. The cursor responds very smoothly to the movement of your fingers and never seems to jump too far as other laptops.

The other naggers seem to show that they are unhappy people no matter what, so it's not worth commenting. So, with the exception of the built-in speakers lacking nice flat sound, this is a great laptop and worth the price.
44 comments47 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2013
This pc is faster than expected, plays games well like bioshock infinite, splinter cell black list and others.Quiet stays cool without laptop cooler good battery life.for those of you complaining about bad audio even when your are using external speakers here's a fix.

1.open toshiba desktop assist
2.click on media and entertainment
3.click on DTS
4.then click on the emblem above the yellow line.
5.by doing that it will give you an option to change from laptop audio to headphones click on the headphones.
6.disable surround and volume leveling and enable bass boost.
44 comments25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2013
I just got this to replace an older Dell laptop (8 years) which served me very well. The new Toshiba is an excellent budget priced Laptop with the basic features most people need. I am an IT professional with over 25 years experience and this is a fine soluiton for a home user. It is not a gaming laptop, heavy graphics design, etc, but for browsing, web design, basic graphics design (I use Xara Pro X), and Windows 8 it is working very well. As I am restoring files from my old system I will update this post as time goes by. So far setup has been very straight forward. Files are restoring now, all looks good. Speed is excellent, the Core i3 is performing a little better than I expected. While I love the higher end Laptops ($1200+) for what I need for travel, this does extremely well.
on October 24, 2013
Just working great even with Windows 8! You can expect a better computer at that price. I have one month working with this one and works perfect. I have been playing WoW, working with MS Office and some apps open and works fast.
on October 21, 2013
I was really impressed with this laptop after getting my hands on it. It has a very nice processor for it's price range, and comes with a good amount of memory. I did replace the hard drive with a 128gb SSD (it was an easy replacement, I first made recovery disks, then swapped in the new hard drive and used the recovery disks to re-install the system. It went very smooth.) and I bought an external enclosure to use the drive that came with the machine as an external USB drive. If this laptop had two hard drive bays it would be spectacular, but I am sure most people will be fine with the hard drive that it comes with as their primary drive.
on September 14, 2013
Fast, multitasking & portable enough for travel per month.

And all of these under for barely 300 euros.

What else should anyone ask?
on September 2, 2013
Very good deal for a basic laptop. Got if for 250 from staples. Best deal you can find with an i3 processor. period.
33 comments7 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2013
I bought this laptop after many debates between many eligible candidates. However, this laptop does have the best specs and processor out of all the other laptops I looked at that are within this price range ($400-410). When I first used this laptop, I was confused by its touchpad because it kept triggering the Windows 8 corner function things whenever I try to scroll down a webpage. However, after googling for some help as to how I can customize my touchpad (since my Macbook does allow touchpad customization), I was able to find out that by default, Toshiba Satellite's touchpad is set at multifuction. After playing around with it, I was able to set it so that it is "normal" for me...scrolling up and down a page without triggering the corner functions. Besides the touchpad which gave me a problem initially, this laptop is as advertised: very fast and have lots memory!
on November 9, 2013
This is a very good laptop! The speakers are fine (I don't know why everyone is complaining) and this plays most games very well! I've ran Minecraft, and it hasn't lagged once! Camera is not the best, but then again, it's for Video-Chatting. The screen is big, and very good quality. Toshiba makes qood quality laptops, and this is one of them! This might sound like a commercial, but seriously, I love this laptop!
on May 16, 2014
My hard drive failed about a week ago and I took it into the computer shop where they confirmed it was hard drive failure. I called Toshiba and they recommended that I pay for a box at $25.94 which would have instructions and all material including mailing label for me to send in the computer. I paid for the box and today it arrived. There weren't any instructions in the box and only one small piece of foam so that the computer would be moving around in the box and more than likely end up broken. I decided to look up complaints on Toshiba and found an astounding number of complaints about Toshiba and their customer service.Many people were complaining that they were supposed to receive a box to return their computer in but never received anything. They didn't mention being forced to pay $25.94 like I had to do. I guess the payment for the box is new and expensive. I also found complaints about hard drives failing in short periods of time. I have only had my computer for 3 months and I bought it new.There were also complaints about the year long warranty not being honored for the full year. I received an email from Toshiba saying that I must return the computer by a date in June or they won't fix it and yet my warranty is good for a year.

I called Toshiba and they said they will send me yet another box. However they did not send me an email confirming this as they did the first time. This leads me to suspect that I may not get a box as people have been complaining about on the internet. I am going to call them on Monday and ask for an email about the box. Should the box not arrive in two working days as the first box did then I will file a complaint with my state attorney generals office and also complain about the June deadline they gave me for getting the computer there. I think I actually will complain to the attorney general office anyway. Why should I have a deadline to send it to them? I only bought this computer because I bought a Toshiba lap top about 5 years ago and never had problems with it. I was supposed to get a free upgrade to Windows 7 for this older computer and sent in the request for it. I contacted them the day after the deadline to send it in and they said they never received it and wouldn't give me my upgrade. It was apparently a mistake to buy a Toshiba again. I thought they still made good quality computers although I knew their customer service was bad. Reading the complaints about all the hard drive failure leads me to think Toshiba does not make quality products any more also.