Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Toshiba Satellite C55-A5302 15.6" Laptop - Intel Pentium 2020M / 6GB DDR3 / 500GB / DVDRW/CD-RW / HD Webcam & Microphone / Windows 8 64-bit
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 15, 2013
It's a good deal with respect to the amount of RAM and hard drive storage space you get for your dollar. The screen is also very bright and clear. However, there are several downsides.

The biggest problem that I see is the sound quality, which is very poor, and it is not just the speakers, because it sounds equally bad over headphones. It is the sound card itself, which is very tinny, has no bass response, and according to the Toshiba Forum moderators, cannot be upgraded. So, don't buy this computer to listen to music. Also, the touchpad tray and clickers have a very cheap and unresponsive feel.

Access to the DVD tray is troublesome, although with practice you can learn to find the eject button. The mechanism also feels very cheap and flimsy, and it has a design flaw where if you do not hold the DVD or CD very firmly while inserting it into the carriage, it can slide right into the chassis of the computer.
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2013
This is a great laptop for the price--I got mine from Best Buy and only paid 299.00 before tax during the Black Friday week!! I mostly use this for internet browsing, music, reading PDF files, and writing documents. I've had no trouble playing games or watching movies. Programs run fine. The keyboard does feel cheap but I was going to buy an ergonomic one with padding anyway. I also prefer a wireless mouse over any touch pad. I give this a five star rating because that's about as good as it gets for $300.
on December 1, 2013
The most reliable laptop I've ever owned and superbly inexpensive since Toshiba makes and sells the same laptop parts Dell and HP.

The "dirty truth": about these inexpensive Satellites is the lack of discussion these briefcase tornadoes arrive with even if you skip the RAM upgrade and the SSD.

These things can masquerade as small company web and file/print servers with RAM to spare.
Video game performance is slightly above average for a general purpose Toshiba versus an expensive AlienWare.

Its great for college students and high schoolers and will keep up with their courseload so they can't blame an F or triple DMinus on a crappy laptop.

But it gets really cool when you stuff the maximum RAM cause it's eager for Microsoft Servers including 2012 2nd Edition (tested on BETA edition for MS Gold Partners), the wide 64Bit CPU's and vast RAM carries HYperV or VBox VM's as smoothly as your campus partition slice.

Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and SoundBooth in CS5.5 run stutter free, rendering 3D objects in Ai doesn't disappoint and 16GB of RAM lets you stack more layers in PhotoShop than you're accustomed to in your current laptop.

Adult students considering IT programs or considering an upgrade would be well served with a 64Bit Toshi that can handle your curriculum without being connected to campus VM's.

Linux loving, all the way back to Unbuntu 10.04 that forward supports this unit is amazing itself, oddly though the Intel and Qualcomm GB Ethernet port often needs separate compat level drivers but the modprobe instructions are straight forward even if annoying. The WiFi cards have always seemed LINUX ready and that's contrary to what's usually finicky WiFi but ready CAT5 ports.

WiFi range is strong, hard to buy a Toshi w/o an 802.11n card and big cigar width four inch copper antennas metal taped to the inner lid means decent signal strength when the rest of the audience is struggling to hold 240p on YouTube.

Toshi's are fairly sturdy but the easiest to work on if you're accustomed to ThinkPads and Sony Vaio's then you'll welcome the spacious case and modular components. Anyone ready to murder the housecat in frustration after splitting a ThinkPad LCD will fall in love Toshiba's ease of maintenance, the motherboards are spread out in the base with standard wires and subparts sold at RadioShack.
44 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2013
I bought this at BestBuy for $317.99 (including tax) during the Black Friday sale. I like this laptop a lot, I use it for web browsing, watching videos/movies, and a few games. It has plenty of power and runs all the programs I use very very well! I play this game called "Rigs of Rods" a soft body car physics and the FPS is very good! The laptop looks a little cheap but feels solid, the keyboard feels good and the trackpad/touchpad is very responsive and feels quality. For the price I paid this laptop is a steal especially with the specs: Intel Pentium 2020M Processor 2.5 GHz, 6GB RAM, and a 500GB HDD.
on January 3, 2014
Ignoring the sound issue, this is a solid $300/$350 laptop. The processor is similar to an i3 and it will handle Office, Internet Browsing, HD video, and photo editing with little or no lag. The laptop itself is sturdy - not strong and high-quality - but not flimsy either. Don't expect to run just-released video games on ultra-high settings but it can handle some older games (I'd say 08 and earlier) at medium settings.

My gripe with this laptop, and why I am returning it, is the sound quality. It's disgusting. I've never seen sound quality this bad in quite literally any electronic device I've ever used. It's unacceptable for any piece of modern hardware. The speakers are bad, even especially bad for laptop speakers. I'm not expecting some kind of 5.1 audiophile system either, so that in itself is not a fundamental issue. What is a fundamental issue, though, is the sound card. No matter what I listen to with the laptop, it comes out tinny and shallow. There is absolutely no depth or clarity, no matter how much I played with the equalizer. I don't mean that I just can't hear subtle bass lines. I mean that you can't properly hear deep voices in normal conversation or enjoy a song on youtube. Even watching Netflix was a struggle. I plugged my Audio-Technica ATH-M50s in and this laptop successfully made them sound worse than iPod earplugs listening to recordings of 96kbps flash video downloads. It's bad enough that it makes music impossible to enjoy. If you get this laptop you will never enjoy music on it. I promise. My $10 pay-as-you-go flip phone delivers better sound. And from what I'm reading the sound card is not replaceable, which means that regardless of what you plug into this laptop - your cheap earplugs or your $10,000 system, it will sound horrific. I would only recommend this laptop to the office jockey and the deaf. Anyone who is planning on using this laptop for music stay away.
on January 13, 2014
This laptop is great I have no problem with it at all. I use it everyday and it doesn't get to hot or anything. Out of the box the audio is really bad but its actually not the laptop its the settings! ust go into audio settings and click "turn off all enhancements" then click "apply" (:
on December 12, 2013
Other reviewers are spot on. The speakers on this box are horrendous and to even advertise the web-cam as HD is ludicrous. Having said that, I looked very hard and could not find another laptop with Intel processor, 6 gigs of ram, 500 gig Hard Drive for anything near the $289.00 I paid for this. I have a $1,000 Dell that promised 4.5 hours of battery life and starts crying at 3 hours, This Toshiba has 17% left after 4.5 hours!.Only time will tell concerning durability but what do you want for $289.00? Well done Toshiba!
on December 8, 2013
the speakers are very poor quality but it's good laptop for the price, and the webcam isn't hd its a normal webcam
on April 26, 2015
I've had this thing 2 years, I am a college student in IT, i have pushed this to the limits and it has not failed me. Although I have 8GB of ram and it does not look like they have that now. But I love it, if you train the battery right, it will last me up to 4-6 hours when in constant use at school. All ports work respectively well, This computer is my laptop/desktop. If you treat it right and keep it updated it cannot fail you. Recommended.
on May 8, 2014
The product is excellent, no problem. Its your shipping and handling that was so high. You charge me $15.00 dollars for this order.
When I thought it was free shipping. . It will be some time before I order on line with Amazon again. It used to be that there was no
taxes and sometimes free shipping, but now it doesn't matter. By the time you add taxes and shipping I might as well go to Wal-Mart.
I understand taxes are unavoidable but your shipping has gotten to high. I have an account with you but I am going to close it so soon
as I pay my balance and my laptop took (8)days to get here.