4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. Few complaints for the value.
Published 22 months ago by M. Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Good Bang for Buck
Published 13 months ago by Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. Few complaints for the value., March 3, 2013
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5100 15.6-Inch Laptop (Satin Black) (Personal Computers)
Wanted to review the item as of the few reviews posted complaints are a result of windows 8 not the computer in the review. Windows 8 sucked at first but you can actually add Start button apps that make it not suck. The Pokki start menu is very good and can disable some of the annoying features of Windows8. With desktop mode and an actual start button I have been pretty happy with Windows 8's very snappy performance and ability to add gmail/google calendar apps to my task bar.

Now moving past windows I would like to provide an actual review of the product. Lets start with you get what you pay for. I paid <300 from a store that has big blue and yellow letters in its name. I knew going in I needed a machine that was 350 dollars or less and ran windows or mac OS (needed to remote in for work) so chrome book and android was out. Otherwise I do not have very lofty ambitions for this computer. It will be used mostly for light duty tasks and a small amount of media tasks. For what I need, this machine will be a good fit and am impressed with the features for the sub 300 dollar price tag.

The Good:
- beautiful screen. Display is bright and images are sharp. Video looks
good. Its not retina display but it looks good at 1366 x 768.
- Full number pad. I use a lot of number typing and rely heavily on
the number pad. Was really glad to have this included.
- Decent hard disk space (320gb) and ram (4gb expandable to 16) for this
price point. AMD CPU seems snappy.

The Bad:
- No scrolling on track pad. This is a depressing missing feature. Its
easy to take for granted that this is a standard feature now on
laptops. I have found myself using the page up and page down buttons
for scrolling now. Hopefully there is an app that can fix this. The
track pad does have multitouch and can pinch to zoom. Possibly there
is a way to scroll with mutlitouch and I haven't figured it out.
- No USB 3.0, there are 3 usb ports but they are 2.0.
- No HDMI out
- The housing feels somewhat cheap. It probably wouldn't survive big
falls but I don't plan on throwing it around.

So far this thing is great. Works well with the interwebs and all my cloud services. Windows 8 is not too bad either.

UPDATE: I learned how to use the multitouch track pad after the initial review. To scroll you just need to use two fingers anywhere on the track pad. Better than scrolling the old way, although you can go into the mouse settings and turn on the sides of the track pad for scrolling. Didn't turn it on however because the multitouch scrolling is better. If you go into the settings there are options for some other multitouch things too (rotating, pinch-to-zoom, swiping) and demos included. Now my major complaint would be lack of USB 3.0 although I am not sure what I would use it for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Good Bang for Buck, November 10, 2013
I have had this laptop for a while now an i am to say, not very impressed. To start off, it comes with a TON of crap-ware. If you try and uninstall it disables all of the functionality for the hot-keys. The HDD is supposed to be 320GB (Usually formatted to about 300) but I was only able to use about 250. Great for a tweenager for there first laptop. But not for somebody that wants to be able to play at best browser games.

Pros:
Windows 8
Matte Finish
Keyboard

Cons:
1.3ghz Proccesor (I have tablets that go faster than this)
4GB RAM (Ok for mainstreem users)
Hard Drive
.3 mp Webcam

2.0 out of 5 stars not that good., April 24, 2014
windows 8 is not a good program, 7 was better. The computer freezes on line a lot. If you watch a DVD without an external hard drive be ready to hear a lot of noise. I definitely wouldn't recommend this computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice laptop, February 26, 2014
I really love this laptop and actually cried when I broke it, yes it was my fault not the laptop. It worked well given its price and screen was clear and took a beating

5.0 out of 5 stars laptop, September 7, 2013
this laptop is a graet machine have all that I want is fast, economic and excelent brand I recomended this laptop

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT !!, July 12, 2013
the computer meets my expectations have caracterÁisticas quality and offered at the website. I'm satisfied and happy with the product quality

5.0 out of 5 stars delivery of a great product, April 6, 2013
The laptop works well for my needs - Windows 8 different takes a little time to get us to but would def recomend to other.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price is a great laptop, if you can go for the core ..., August 10, 2014
I bought this a long time ago and so far i have no issues with it. For the price is a great laptop, if you can go for the core i3 one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price-Great Service, March 11, 2013
M. Getz (Warsaw, IN USA) - See all my reviews
Received the laptop earlier than estimated. Arrived in excellent condition no issues. The satin black is a nice finish and doesn't show fingerprints. It is working great and meets expectations. What more can you say.

3.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Satelite Laptop, April 23, 2013
It is a nice laptop which fell within my budget. Good for moderate use. Not as responsive as more expensive laptop. Has some problems accessing some programs that are "not compatible." It meets our basic needs. I can pay bills and check email and the news.